New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Villian we love to hate, converted!

So, this thought occured to me a while back, and I want to get the opinions of my fellows on here who enjoy The Walking Dead.

Neegan. How would you stat him up for a 3.5 or PF character? I have a few ideas, but lets see what you all have!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Villian we love to hate, converted!

I'm not super familiar with Negan, but from what I've learned about him, the traits of cultivating a group of followers, demanding loyalty through harsh means, and ruthlessness toward outsiders line up very nicely with Bane of Infidels, a strange PrC from Masters of the Wild.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

dread pirate or war chief may also be thematically appropriate. if he's an NPC, check out "might makes right" which allows you to add your str bonus to your leadership score to attract more guys.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #4

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmm. See, I was thinking a simply either Fighter/Rogue or Barb/Rogue, either LE or NE, depending. All of his stats 15 or higher, and his Cha an 18, among other things

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    Hmm. See, I was thinking a simply either Fighter/Rogue or Barb/Rogue, either LE or NE, depending. All of his stats 15 or higher, and his Cha an 18, among other things
    Ok. What kinds of powers did you want him to have?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Dude, the guy just has a basic, run of the mill leadership feat. He's not something special.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Are you talking about Negan in the actual Walking Dead setting as depicted in the comics and show, but with 3.5 mechanics?

Because if that's the case, except for a handful of characters, everyone is 1st level, with a few notables going up as high as 6th level to explain Leadership, but these would be a very small group of people (as in, probably less than 10, considering the amount of characters that come as go in both versions).

That being said, Negan dominates the field for a few reasons:

1. He has decent charisma.

2. A decent strength score and a deadly weapon that can one shot the vast majority of low level characters he deals with.

3. The Leadership feat

And most importantly:

4. There are no casters whatsoever in TWD universe.

8. - Top - End - #8

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm aware there are no casters in TWD universe, and yes, I was meaning that Negan. I didn't plan on him being above level 6 or 7, though with how high his Leadership score probably is, I could easily believe 8 or even 9. I'm not sure on special abilities, beyond those for his classes. Though, I was thinking more build Negan as he would be in a 3.5 world, not TWD world with 3.5 rules, if that makes much difference

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post

4. There are no casters whatsoever in TWD universe.
    I disagree. Obviously, there's a necromancer somewhere raising these zombies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I disagree. Obviously, there's a necromancer somewhere raising these zombies.
    That is one of the big questions about that show and comic, which I believe Kirkman will never answer.

In a 3.5 context, take your pick:

Necromancer

Bunch of Necromancers

Undead Churches and their priesthood

Elder Evils (the setting is referred to mostly as the apocalypse, so this one might fit)

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    That is one of the big questions about that show and comic, which I believe Kirkman will never answer.
    Within the context of the actual The Walking Dead comic/show, you are probably right. However, the creators for the spinoff/prequel series Fear the Walking Dead have stated that that show will reveal the origins of the dead rising within it, and since fear is official cannon for TWD universe, we will eventually find out, even if Rick and all of them never do

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aleolus View Post
    Within the context of the actual The Walking Dead comic/show, you are probably right. However, the creators for the spinoff/prequel series Fear the Walking Dead have stated that that show will reveal the origins of the dead rising within it, and since fear is official cannon for TWD universe, we will eventually find out, even if Rick and all of them never do
    I have seen a few episodes of Fear the Walking Dead (the pilot and a few following it), but have yet to watch a complete season. I hope they explain it, at least for the readers/viewers of TWD, not so much for the characters, who will forever struggle to survive at this point.

I have been reading the comic for years and although the story is great, as well as character development, it would be nice to have at least a hint at what caused all this madness to happen.