New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 30 Minute Art Challenges?

I would love to be able to post some pictures, but am having some trouble since I am new here. (Which I understand. I get it! I have to prove myself!

If you are interested in seeing some of my own art to kind of see what I am talking about:

http://imgur.com/gallery/uf1Gk

Would you guys be interested in doing some 30 minute art challenges? I post a few subjects, and then artists post what they can do in a 30 minute time frame, and discuss?
    Last edited by LovelyVulcan; 2017-04-08 at 11:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: 30 Minute Art Challenges?

Hi,

nice gallery you have. I like the concepts and you expose them in an efficient way. Do you mind explaining how you process/what you learn from doing these 30 minutes art jams?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raaaahman View Post
    Hi,

nice gallery you have. I like the concepts and you expose them in an efficient way. Do you mind explaining how you process/what you learn from doing these 30 minutes art jams?
    Some tips I have gotten from my earliest terrible spitpaint (about five months ago) until now is:

• Break it up to a science! Pick a size and stick to it every single time. You really like instagramming? Do straight squares-- Do you like comic books? Google the average size of a comic book page size. for me, I do a typical 8 x11 for ALL paintings. That's something I don't have to think about, since I only have 30 minutes.
    • Always use a reference if you can. You don't have time to refine something from your head.
    • What's the story of the drawing? Make your elements about the STORY not about the details.
    • Now that you have the size out of the way, pick a composition. Either rule of thirds, golden golden mean, etc. and stick with it. I almost always do thirds.
    • Keep a photo album on your computer of beautiful, colorful photos. Have it busting full of your favorite artists, of strange nature photography, or a splatter of paint that just happens to be pretty. Steal the colors from one of these photos so that you don't have to come up with a color palette.

I hope that helps!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would love to. Sounds awesome.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    I would love to. Sounds awesome.
    I will consider this a kind of 'interest check' then, and see how many other people we can wrangle in.

Maybe we can do it to incorporate writing as well. Put on the timer-- and go.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyVulcan View Post
    I hope that helps!
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try to use them in a near future.

How do you plan to make these challenges happen? One theme per week/couple days for everybody? We join some live chat app and start all together? Or do we just have to produce and drop it here to get feedbacks?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Huum, drawing on a daily basis with some pre-defined theme is quite demanding I fear, and that's the reason I'm hesitating to jumps on "The Challenge" also. Of course daily training is the way to progress, I may give it a try next week, after I finished that programming contest (codinGame) I'm on. Keep it up!