New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Devil's Deal IC 9: An Affectionate Avalanche

Niramour smiles wryly.
    "I was trying to get us moving one other, brighter things. Festivals tend to be bright, celebratory, and lots of fun. Often, the entire town is involved, because everyone gets to have a wonderful time. And they're often so different!"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer the ones that end with reform of local government that eliminates the banditry entirely and inspires not random travelers to seek safety, but those in positions of power to do the same is what Luzille almost says, before Niramour changes the subject and Nephy's note returns, stealing her attention for the time being. As honestly nice the conversation was, flirting with the most adorable person she's met in Garmine was more important! She feels a moment of trepidation as she opens the letter; even with her confidence, she's still just a tad worried that following her normal instincts here may have been a bit much, or perhaps too forward.

Then she reads the letter and any shadow of doubt quickly leaves, without even pausing to pack its bags. Rude.

"There aren't any events worth commemorating in Garmine?" Luzille asks, as she prepares her reply. "Say, the founding? Or some disaster the people survived?" As she passes the note back, the duelist gives Nephy a smile and brief wink.

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    And I was worried I was being too forward. Would you prefer sooner or later?
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #153

"Well then," Momma Sharo taps her fingers thoughtfully. "I'm afraid I can't think of a thing! But I'm sure you'll find enough friends regardless, Niramour. And you can visit Ruffles, if you'd like to dream one." At Luzille's question, she hums for a second. "No, none in particular. A lot of Garmine rounds up for defense, but that's more for sport than anything."

Nephy blinks rapidly at Luzille's wink, then scrawls another messy message on the parchment, which is rapidly losing blank space.

Show
    Sooner

4. - Top - End - #154

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour seems to be surprised by Momma Sharo's response, leaning forwards in her chair once more.
    "Really? Garmine doesn't feel like it has ever accomplished anything worthy of being celebrated? Not one song, not one event of significance? That's... quite strange, really."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

"Dream up a friend?" Luzille asks, raising an eyebrow, the matter interesting enough to let her ignore the urge to simply watch Nephy write up her reply. As the note arrives, though, she goes quiet, letting Niramour take Cousin Sharo's attention. An idea comes to her mind, for a bit of quick fast-talking if she spots the notes and asks about them; somehow, Luzille doubts simply telling her what they were discussing would be a good idea. At the very least, Nephy might simply faint from having all her blood go to her cheeks...

Luzille takes a bit longer with her reply than the others, her words winding around former messages to use less space, trying to keep it legible despite the smaller size.

Show
    Now (?) You have a room?

6. - Top - End - #156

"Most residents of Garmine have spent their whole lives achieving things, for good or ill." Momma Sharo answers. "Most are content to be retired and live the simple life, with whatever passions they have outside of changing the world." At Luzille's question, she nods. "If you so choose! Ruffles can make your dreams feel real."

Nephy, rather than writing anything else on the paper, nods and her eyes flick to one of the four doors.

7. - Top - End - #157

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour smiles, clearly amused by Momma Sharo's answer.
    "You know... the simple life usually does include celebrations, feast days, things of that nature... Maybe something could be planned?"
    Organizing something like that might be tricky, but I'm sure I'd get to meet lots of people, and learn quite a bit, maybe even what I'm looking for...
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2017-04-26 at 03:15 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Luzille nods, then stands, slowly. "I hope you don't mind; I was wondering about some of the rest of the house, and Nephy's agreed to show me..." she steps away from the table, looking back to Nephy before going any further.

9. - Top - End - #159

"I wouldn't stop you." Momma sharo replies. "But I think you'd get frightfully few guests if you've only just arrived."

Nephy pulls herself away from the table and nods. "Um. Yes. I am prepared to provide a demonstration of the...room, situation."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Luzille steps over towards the doors, never going too far ahead of Nephy, before stopping by the one she'd indicated earlier. "Here, right?" She asks, voice a bit lower to fit the less open tone of their exchange. If Nephy indicates that it's the right door, and doesn't seem like she'll be going in first, Luzille will head through the door.

11. - Top - End - #161

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour smiles, as she shakes her head.
    "I'd need to find something that the town would be interested in celebrating, and get the mayor to front it, I think? Probably. Usually it's the town head, or someone similar who does, so I'd probably need to show them that it helps them be a better mayor, but... That still leaves finding something. And I don't know anything about Garmine. And for it to be a good tradition, it would need to be something significant that happened recently, or a year ago..."
    She sighs, shaking her head, and looking sad.
    "Probably just me dreaming, I think."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #162

"I wouldn't say our house is terribly unique, but if it catches your fancy..." Momma Sharo smiles at Luzille. "Please avoid the room opposite the front door, however - it's mine and Lielas', and she's not here to give permission." She then turns to Niramour again. "Kalahira is the leader of Garmine. I'm afraid she isn't terribly interested in managing things on the social level, aside from ensuring everything works."

Nephy nods her head and quickly shuffles after Niramour. The room itself is relatively large, despite the tapering rooftop, at the far end of which sits a low, large bed with a material drape that's been tied to the side. One wall has a set of shelves, the lowermost holding clothes and shoes, while the uppermost have books, and the middle has various trinkets from musical instruments to crafting tools.

The other wall has a large mirror of reflective crystal, along with a cabinet that has various jars and a runic rod on a rack. A table sits near the shelves, with a couple of chairs, and there's a large fur rug on the floor. The room is illuminated by a small iron chandelier that holds glowing stones.

13. - Top - End - #163

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour continues to look a little disappointed, but she keeps on trying..
    "That's probably a good thing, I think? Who does manage the social level? For future reference, of course."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Luzille nods in response to Cousin Sharo's instructions, doubtful she'll need them of course, but appearances needed to be kept up after all.

Inside Nephy's room, Luzille takes a moment to properly look around, silently enjoying the cozy feeling it had. It was also neat - something she knew was less than common, and had been terrible at herself before she began her time on the road. "A nice room," Luzille says after a few moments, voice low, turning back to Nephy. "A tad warm, though, don't you think?" She asks, before removing her hat and overcoat, setting them on one of the chairs if it doesn't seem to bother Nephy.

15. - Top - End - #165

"Nobody." Momma Sharo answers. "If one has a problem, one reports it to the Authority and meets with whoever helps manage what you have a problem with."

~

"That is why Momma Sharo included the illumination stones." Nephy replies, as she removes her cloak, folds it up, and places it on one of the shelves. "I spend more time in my room than is traditional in buildings like these in her homeland, and having a torch lit all the time would have made it stuffy and hot, or at least require the inclusion of another hatch in the roof."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Luzille can't help but smile at Nephy's response. It's, from what she's seen, a typically Nephy-type response, and adorably misses the point. "I see," she says. "Though, for future reference - in this context, that comment is more meant to...well, it's an excuse," the duelist explains, as she undoes her sword-belt and sets it on the table. "Especially given our discussion before we came here."

Maybe it was cruel, but Luzille is sure to pause there, waiting to see Nephy's reaction before she continues.

17. - Top - End - #167

Nephy blinks as she turns to look at Luzille. "Ohh." She says, then approaches the table and places her hands on its edges. "You see, I didn't think it necessary to provide an excuse for the, uh, already, the established thing, we decided...upon, before we, uh, came. Here. Because it was already decided?" She manages to stammer out.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe not necessary," Luzille agrees with a nod. "But...well, it adds a certain flair to things. Even I enjoy being a little indirect, sometimes," she says. "It'd have made for a different matter if I didn't start with the whole enchanted chainmail thing, wouldn't it?"

19. - Top - End - #169

Nephy bites her tongue as she considers Luzille's words. "Yes. It would have."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

And that's adorable, too, Luzille thinks, as she removes her jabot and gloves. "Anywhere you'd prefer I put my shoes?" She asks, as she sits down on one of the available chairs to begin opening those.

"I, ah, take it your mother won't get suspicious if we're back here for a bit?" Luzille adds after a few moments, mostly for Nephy's response, though she does briefly consider the possibility of Nephy being closer with her attractive friend(s) than she seemed to be.

21. - Top - End - #171

"By the door, please." Nephy replies. At Luzille's question, she shrugs. "I do not know. I have never had anybody visit here before."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Luzille sets her shoes by the door, rising again to nod in response to Nephy's continuation. "I'll do my best to give you a good first impression, then," she says, with smile. "Want to take a seat before I get started?"

23. - Top - End - #173

Nephy nods and takes the other seat at the table, and it is there that this particular scene fades away, because sometimes people's privacy should be respected.

24. - Top - End - #174

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour looks slightly confused by Momma Sharo's answer.
    "The Authority... that's the governing body? Who manages what? If you don't mind me asking, I promise, I don't mean to harm anyone!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #175

"They are, and they work for Kalahira." Momma Sharo says. "I could provide you with a list of everyone in every position, but we'd be here for some time."

26. - Top - End - #176

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour nods, slowly beginning to understand.
    "Well, just the upper ones? Usually, governments divide people into groups, so you might have one person managing the guards, another managing trade, and so on. Smaller towns divide things less, so, say, the person managing the guard would also be managing the army, if there is on."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #177

"Who in particular are you looking for?" Momma Sharo asks.

28. - Top - End - #178

GreenSorcererElf

Niramour shrugs.
    "I'm not sure. I'm more looking for general information, I suppose. I don't know anything about The Authority, so I'd like to learn more."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #179

Momma Sharo provides Niramour with a basic summary of the Authority and some of the important people in it, through methods so incredibly that it would be an insult to repeat or even describe them.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nossis listens a little, thinking about where to sleep. She decides that she will try to just go home with someone, and sleep with them. That often works, and besides, it is much nicer than being alone again. "The structure of government sounds fascinating, and it is no wonder that the city is so safe."