Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Babylon 5 Group Re-Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Yea, but does a high ranking officer with their own room on the USS Ronald Regan have their main door open into their bed room? Some how I doubt it.
    Actually something I can talk about, since I've had relatives who have stayed in those cabins (and cabins is the operative word). Captains of large ships like Aircraft carriers have an in-port cabin and an at-sea cabin. The in-port has a sitting room and a separate sleeping room. The at-sea cabin is a sleeping room w/ minimal bathroom facilities, although larger than other quarters. This is ALWAYS where the Captain stays when not at port. (The in-port cabin may become flag quarters if needed).

Since we've established that space is at a premium on B5 (given the fuss over 7 square feet). it's quite believable that Garibaldi has a one room (plus bath) lodging. Actually, the only human I think we've seen with definite multi-room quarters is Sheridan.
    My current “Fantasy Fantasy” team (5 members allowed, only 1 from a world, series must be active): Jon Snow, Percy Jackson, Harry Dresden, Minmax, Belkar Bitterleaf. Back to 1/5ths Dinosaur mounted , dang it!

Spoiler
    Show
    (And yes, I know I'm playing the long odds on some of these!)

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    (The in-port cabin may become flag quarters if needed).
    Um, silly question: what do they do with that space if it's *not* being used for the flag officer? Seems a bit pointless having a nicely appointed cabin that's only used in port and is otherwise a waste of space on ships that aren't carrying admirals around.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Fall of Centauri Prime

This epsiode has one of the best Londo and G'Kar moments...and a nice Deleen and Lenear moment.

Things that don't Make Sense

*So the Fleet of Doom just blasts away with their normal ship to ship weapons, right? Do those types of weapons really have the punch to ''attack a planet''? It would seem that they are not using mass drivers or even nuclear weapons.

*The Fleet of Doom, oddly, seams to leave the Centauri Royal Palace intact. But why? They are all ready slaughtering innocent men, women and children and blowing away hospitals, schools, and everything else. so, why leave the Palace intact?

*And yes the Regent did turn off the planet defenses, but did he like obliterate them? Seems like odd that the Centauri could not fix the problem and shoot back.

*Wonder why Londo does not say ''Drac'', the race from our legends?

*Guess the Fleet of Doom missed the Centauri Spaceport too?

*So why do the Centauri ''need money'' to rebuild. Sure the galaxy has evil greedy monsters.....but most of the time after a massive disaster most people either vastly discount things or even give them away for free. At least in America and the West. Though guess the Centari are more a ''middle east'' like culture where that would never happen?

*So...we have seen the Centari Prime of the near future...and why in years have they not rebuilt the Capital City? Does Londo say ''don't fix this city?"

*And again...er...Londo has all of the windows of the Royal Palace boarded up...except his bedroom window...so ''no one can see outside''. But, um, do people live in the palace 24/7? Would not everyone go outside like quite often?

*So guess the Centauri have always had massive cloud holo technology...but we have just never seen it?

*So it has been said many times that the Centauri need the Alliance just like all the other races. But then they just leave it? Don't they ''need'' it?

*So when Londo takes his walk, there are a couple chunks of rubble....but everything else around looks undamaged?

Final B, it's a wrap up to the Raider story and the rise of Londo, so the whole ''fall'' aside, this episode has some nice character moments.

4. - Top - End - #874

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Um, silly question: what do they do with that space if it's *not* being used for the flag officer? Seems a bit pointless having a nicely appointed cabin that's only used in port and is otherwise a waste of space on ships that aren't carrying admirals around.
    If you have a carrier at sea, there is (barring something weird) one admiral with them, so it is their quarters. Where it might not be used is in a multi-carrier force (only the carrier where the Admiral places his flag would have their in-port cabin in use). But these days the normal task force is one carrier.

it is still used for large casual briefings, etc. The captain simply doesn't sleep there when out at sea because he needs quicker access to the bridge.

This epsiode has one of the best Londo and G'Kar moments....
    Totally agree

*So the Fleet of Doom just blasts away with their normal ship to ship weapons, right? Do those types of weapons really have the punch to ''attack a planet''? It would seem that they are not using mass drivers or even nuclear weapons.
    Looks like they did a decent job. And remember, mass drivers are banned by most races. Londo even acknowledged this in Season 2 (as Centauri forces used them on Narn).

*The Fleet of Doom, oddly, seams to leave the Centauri Royal Palace intact. But why? They are all ready slaughtering innocent men, women and children and blowing away hospitals, schools, and everything else. so, why leave the Palace intact?
    Not all that uncommon to leave the leadership alone.

*And yes the Regent did turn off the planet defenses, but did he like obliterate them? Seems like odd that the Centauri could not fix the problem and shoot back.
    Unless of course those defenses were the initial target of the attack.

*So why do the Centauri ''need money'' to rebuild. Sure the galaxy has evil greedy monsters.....but most of the time after a massive disaster most people either vastly discount things or even give them away for free. At least in America and the West. Though guess the Centari are more a ''middle east'' like culture where that would never happen?
    Disaster, yes. But it's rare for the losing side of a war (and that is how this is going to be treated) to be given gifts from the winning side. Loans at a high interest rate, sure, but it's rare that a winning country just gives stuff to the losing country (and then usually only if the process involved a governmental change that is supposed to make things better for the average folks in that country). No indication anyone in the Alliance is feeling that way about the Centauri.

*So...we have seen the Centari Prime of the near future...and why in years have they not rebuilt the Capital City? Does Londo say ''don't fix this city?"
    Nope. Covered this before. Assuming that is what you are talking about ( when Sheridan jumps into the future), he jumps to the aftermath of a Drac bombing. Londo describes it himself in the episode as having been caused by the allies of the Shadows, and it is covered in the Legions of Fire trilogy. So it's a different trashing of Centauri prime.
    My current “Fantasy Fantasy” team (5 members allowed, only 1 from a world, series must be active): Jon Snow, Percy Jackson, Harry Dresden, Minmax, Belkar Bitterleaf. Back to 1/5ths Dinosaur mounted , dang it!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

Movements of Fire and Shadow

*So G'Kar throws up and Guard Curly lets Londo out of the cell why?

*And ok, Guard Curly lets Londo out of the cell and then just just like ''ok-day, just wander away Londo''.

And Londo is only in the cell as he was staying with G'Kar...so why could he not just leave the cell by saying he did not want to be with G'Kar anymore?

I didn't have a chance to re-watch the episodes this week, but wasn't this an attempt to let Londo save face? I seem to recall the scene having to do with Londo declaring he was going to stay imprisoned as long as G'Kar was as an attempt to protest the fact that G'Kar was being imprisoned, and then the two of them realizing (for reasons I no longer remember) that it would be better for Londo to be out and about so he could go do some other specific thing to fix some part of the situation.

Thus, the vomiting to give Londo an "out" to leave the cell without just saying "nah, I'm not mad about this whole 'imprisoning G'Kar' thing anymore and going to go hang out somewhere else now" or something.

Admittedly, I have not watched the episode in some time and might be mixing it up with something else.
    Last edited by Algeh; 2018-01-17 at 10:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    - This is the whole point of the Centauri government, and one of the reasons the Drakh chose them as their target--the entire thing is run by one person, and everyone is used to that person giving odd orders (especially after Cartagia).
    I guess this might be a culture thing. Most American's would not follow ''any'' order (but some would). But in general, an American won't do an order they find ''odd''.

Captains of large ships like Aircraft carriers have an in-port cabin and an at-sea cabin.
    What about officers other then the captain, say the XO? They do have a cabin/room/apartment all to themselves, right? And is the room like a motel room where the bed is like five feet from the door outside? Or is it more like an apartment, where there is just about never a outside door directly into the bedroom.

No indication anyone in the Alliance is feeling that way about the Centauri.
    Except maybe Earth and Minbar? See it's odd they just get forgotten about. The Centari attacked all the little races. Not Earth or Minbar. And they are both not ''against'' the Centari.

7. - Top - End - #877

RedWizardGuy

What about officers other then the captain, say the XO? They do have a cabin/room/apartment all to themselves, right? And is the room like a motel room where the bed is like five feet from the door outside? Or is it more like an apartment, where there is just about never a outside door directly into the bedroom.
    Even on a carrier, the At Sea quarters for the Captain is just one room (plus small bathing area). So yeah, it does. Think of them like small college dorm rooms.

And the bed may be 5 feet from the door because someone decided that was best use of the space. I did the same thing two of my four college years, because the bed actually fit best on the same wall AS the door (so you opened the door, stepped in, and the bed was right there). It made for better space for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I didn't have a chance to re-watch the episodes this week, but wasn't this an attempt to let Londo save face? I seem to recall the scene having to do with Londo declaring he was going to stay imprisoned as long as G'Kar was as an attempt to protest the fact that G'Kar was being imprisoned, and then the two of them realizing (for reasons I no longer remember) that it would be better for Londo to be out and about so he could go do some other specific thing to fix some part of the situation.

Thus, the vomiting to give Londo an "out" to leave the cell without just saying "nah, I'm not mad about this whole 'imprisoning G'Kar' thing anymore and going to go hang out somewhere else now" or something.

Admittedly, I have not watched the episode in some time and might be mixing it up with something else.
    Nope. You are exactly right. Londo and G'Kar even pretty much discuss how to get Londo out before G'Kar starts making himself ill. And Narn vomit is apparently universally foul, because Londo immediately panics when G'Kar starts.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

*So guess the Centauri have always had massive cloud holo technology...but we have just never seen it?
    - They probably can't target it that precisely. They're in orbit, after all. Also, it seems they're just going for saturation bombing and don't particularly care what targets they hit.

- As with many of the things you bring up, the simple answer to the holo tech is: what other situation would we ever have seen it? We've barely ever seen "outside" on Centauri Prime, almost all the scenes set there have been inside the Palace.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Orc in the Playground

This week, we'll be discussing:

• Wheel of Fire
    • Objects in Motion
    • Objects at Rest

Feel free to discuss anything from the Babylon 5 series without using spoiler tags if you so choose. Please continue to use spoiler tags for things unrelated to Babylon 5 as you would in any other media thread.

Second week of wondering if there's interest in moving on to the rest of the TV movies and Crusade after we finish Season 5? Or should we end with Sleeping in Light? If I don't hear of any interest in moving on, I'll end with Sleeping in Light, but we can keep going if there's interest. (I actually have a TV set up at my new house now! I don't have any DVDs unpacked yet except for one classic My Little Pony DVD I impulse-bought at Big Lots a few weeks back, but Progress is Being Made...)