New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Since there had not yet been made a threat for the new super hero manga Boku no Hero Academia then i though it were about time it got done.
    Seeing as it has just recently passed chapter nr 50, and are of a pretty high quality.

One of the things i really like about it myself is that it manages to avoid a lot of the regular shonen tropes, giving us a smart thoughful hero thats not always winning the fights on his own.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

I love a good few things about this series, and the major one is the art.

Like seriously, I love how the author handles battle scenes, handles the visual jokes, and the facial expressions are always amazing!

But no, seriously,THE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS ARE TOO AMAZING.

Even if the plot isn't your cup of tea, I highly recommend giving this series a read, if only for how well the art, characters, and battles are done.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Boku no Hero is a great manga, that so far manages to incorporate and develop well the contrasts between american and asian tropes and aestetics on comics. In my personal opinion, I think its a toss between it and One Punch Man for the most refreshing serialization in the last couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

As someone who has loved Horikoshi's work since I saw Barrage and immediately fell in love with it and then into deep, deep sadness at it's unfair cancelling, I was hype for Barrage.

As much as I LOVE Barrage, and want to see more of it, it's cancelling was the best thing that could of happened for manga, because now we have Boku no Hero Academia, which is genuinely one of the best manga I've ever seen, tackling something I've almost never seen in Japanese media. It is taking the western styled comic book tropes and applying them in a Japanese way, and it's amazing.

And then we get further with the decon and reconstruction of the genre. We may not be TOO deep in (52 series isn't a lot in the GRAND scheme of things, but still) but what we have had is great. Hero Killer Stain, his torn up idiot looking mother****er who looks like something out of Bloodgun, from the dregs of Liefeldian art society...turns out to be an intelligent, skilled human being, with a well rounded and understandable character who is not only completely ****ing psychopathic, but ALSO RIGHT. When they brought up that Handface and villains like him where idiots for being just destructive idiot people in this world of heroes, I wasn't sure where it would lead. Turns out it leads to villains like Stain, who are true, actual people.

What I'm saying is this is one of my favorite manga of all time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't into it at first. It's getting better and the arts been solid. Things just need to get a little more fleshed out.

6. - Top - End - #6

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

I was right about Stain's quirk. Blood Clot, the ability to freeze someone in place by licking their blood. Length of freezing depends on blood type, 8 and A being the maximum.

We see Todoroki is using his fire side, and it's all thanks to Deku. His Mom's clearly doing better, so that's good. I'd hate it if Todoroki's Mom was as disturbed as his Dad. Speaking of him, we see that Endeavor figured out Stain's pattern as well. We also get a great description of what kind of guy Endeavor is. He is, without question, a MASSIVE **** bag. He's also legitimately worth the title of Number 2.

The fight is really good, and seeing Stain go at it at hard as he can was freaky as hell. Dude's demented looking and I love it. As skilled as Todoroki and Deku both are, it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to take this guy down easy, and that's good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I've liked the series thus far, the art pops, the characters and setting are developing nicely. It has a good imagination with the super-abilities which bleeds into the art nicely. It also gives the protagonist in turn more dimensions than simply being yet another underdog with limitless potential which he brings out at plot-specific intervals, as he analyzes his opponent's abilities for weaknesses as a sort of ascended superhero fanboy.

Biggest issue I have is the villains really need development, they've been essentially monsters thus far and while we've been getting hints that there's more to them it's still in the very vague "there's probably a backstory here" grey area. Knowing why they want to crush society and All Might could be an interesting window into an aspect of this world which has been largely unexplored. Though I do believe that's probably going to be coming soon.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I've liked the series thus far, the art pops, the characters and setting are developing nicely. It has a good imagination with the super-abilities which bleeds into the art nicely. It also gives the protagonist in turn more dimensions than simply being yet another underdog with limitless potential which he brings out at plot-specific intervals, as he analyzes his opponent's abilities for weaknesses as a sort of ascended superhero fanboy.

Biggest issue I have is the villains really need development, they've been essentially monsters thus far and while we've been getting hints that there's more to them it's still in the very vague "there's probably a backstory here" grey area. Knowing why they want to crush society and All Might could be an interesting window into an aspect of this world which has been largely unexplored. Though I do believe that's probably going to be coming soon.
    Well that's the thing. The villains we've had so far that are obviously important and not one shot guys are Handface, Blackmist, Laptop-Sensei, and Stain. Handface is just an anarchist, Blackmist I think HAS a backstory we've just yet to see and is obviously in the employ or Laptop-Sensei to train Handface into something remotely respectable. I actually feel like the generic "anarchist" thing Handface going on is good since it contrasts with the "I'mma hero at people!" mentality some of the youthful heroes have. Handface is obviously meant to parallel with Deku in terms of training. Also he DOES have some hints of a backstory, what with his face hand being called Father. But I do get what you mean. I also feel it's intentional, building up to us learning what his original is (and I feel like it might be that Laptop-Sensei is the person of REAL interest here).

And then we have Stain who yes, IS a monster, but also has such an actually fascinating world view I don't think we need to know his origin. We can tell just from his motivation, which is arguably good just done in an evil way, that he clearly had some sort of past involving "false heroes" and really that's all we need from him. For me, to make a comparison if I must, Stain is Boku no Hero's Zabuza. We know exactly enough about him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

But that's just it, Zabuza gave us a glimpse into the dark underbelly of the ninja world and perhaps more importantly gave Naruto a pretty tragic figure to contrast himself against (along with Haku) that would be significant to his whole character arc. It would be incorporated into the wider theme of the series, that the root of conflicts in the world are largely born from systemic issues within their world rather than just villainous criminal ninja who kill and destroy for evil's sake. I'm not saying Academia has to do that with Stain, or should, just that villains can be more than mere obstacles the heroes confront and overcome.

The supervillains are people after all, they can have more dimensions.

10. - Top - End - #10

But that's just it, Zabuza gave us a glimpse into the dark underbelly of the ninja world and perhaps more importantly gave Naruto a pretty tragic figure to contrast himself against (along with Haku) that would be significant to his whole character arc. It would be incorporated into the wider theme of the series, that the root of conflicts in the world are largely born from systemic issues within their world rather than just villainous criminal ninja who kill and destroy for evil's sake. I'm not saying Academia has to do that with Stain, or should, just that villains can be more than mere obstacles the heroes confront and overcome.

The supervillains are people after all, they can have more dimensions.
    They may still do this, it's still early on in Stain's fight with our heroes. I'm sure they will have more dimensions. Blackmist said he'd be honoured to endure a punch from All Might, and Stain basically idolizes him and feels BAD that he "needs" to kill him to show the world how much they need men like him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    They may still do this, it's still early on in Stain's fight with our heroes. I'm sure they will have more dimensions. Blackmist said he'd be honoured to endure a punch from All Might, and Stain basically idolizes him and feels BAD that he "needs" to kill him to show the world how much they need men like him.
    I agree, were seeing bits of it here or there. I particularly like the page a few chapters back where Deku's standing up to Stain and declaring that it's a heroes' job to butt into other people's business, and Stain smiles like it's Christmas. It's a weird mix of disappointment in the inadequacy of heroes and homicidal glee while fighting those he approves of which certainly makes him a highlight of the villains they've fought.

12. - Top - End - #12

I agree, were seeing bits of it here or there. I particularly like the page a few chapters back where Deku's standing up to Stain and declaring that it's a heroes' job to butt into other people's business, and Stain smiles like it's Christmas. It's a weird mix of disappointment in the inadequacy of heroes and homicidal glee while fighting those he approves of which certainly makes him a highlight of the villains they've fought.
    Yup! If you look back at Stain getting punched by Deku, he's SMILING about it there too. The dude genuinely wants a world with heroes like All Might and Deku, who want to save the world. If Stain was a hero, he'd be a beloved super hero with honourable goals. But since he's a villain, he's a psychotic murderer, and I love villains like that.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

I'm on Chapter 20 right now, and I love the dynamic with the rest of the class so far, although it is a little bit consternating that they haven't noticed all of the obvious "I'm going to grow up to be a villain" signs from Kaka face.

Asui Tsuyu or whatever the Frog girl's name is is great as well. That stare and perma-frown are also great in that they start off offputting, go into creepy territory, and then out the other side to hilarious, once you start to notice the more subtle changes in her facial expressions.

Trying to remember what all All Might's design reminds me of, beyond a Guile with eyebrows and Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm on Chapter 20 right now, and I love the dynamic with the rest of the class so far, although it is a little bit consternating that they haven't noticed all of the obvious "I'm going to grow up to be a villain" signs from Kaka face.
    The thing is, while Bakugou is all strutting arrogance and caustic disdain, so long as he's got the ability and follows the law there's no particular requirement that he has to have a Good nature. Endeavor, who you will read about eventually if you keep going, is a massive a-hole and still the number two hero out there after All Might. Probably because superheroing is treated more or less as a prestigious profession in the manner of athletes rather than as knight-errants with a chivalric code who do Good for Good's sake, Bakugou is just somewhat unmarketable because he keeps saying dumb things and looking at everyone with hatred.

15. - Top - End - #15

Yeah Bakugou really needs to cool his head.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

The thing is, while Bakugou is all strutting arrogance and caustic disdain, so long as he's got the ability and follows the law there's no particular requirement that he has to have a Good nature. Endeavor, who you will read about eventually if you keep going, is a massive a-hole and still the number two hero out there after All Might. Probably because superheroing is treated more or less as a prestigious profession in the manner of athletes rather than as knight-errants with a chivalric code who do Good for Good's sake, Bakugou is just somewhat unmarketable because he keeps saying dumb things and looking at everyone with hatred.
    Spoiler: Having read up through chapter 43.
    Show
    The best case scenario that Bakugou has indicated so far is that he'll injure or kill bystanders out of a mixture of losing his head and disregarding the lives and safety of others. Kid is a walking PR disaster who has brought shame to every school he's attended so far in the manga with how he's carried on.

All I've seen of Endeavor so far is that he's a terrible father, emotionally abusive, and a spouse-rapist who engaged in human trafficking to buy his wife and who may have quietly murdered her or had her killed, so mostly he's just terrible within the privacy of his own home/familial relationships but is apparently able to leave his home life at home when he's in the office.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-08-03 at 05:25 AM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Spoiler: Having read up through chapter 43.
    Show
    The best case scenario that Bakugou has indicated so far is that he'll injure or kill bystanders out of a mixture of losing his head and disregarding the lives and safety of others. Kid is a walking PR disaster who has brought shame to every school he's attended so far in the manga with how he's carried on.
    Sure, but Bakugou is still a 14 year old kid who's going to a school specifically aimed at curbing such recklessness. Though the implication in the manga, or what I read into the character, is that he's something of a tsundere. He acts more reckless, wild, and cruel than he really is as a sort of emotional cover. Also that he's actually pretty good at limiting the force of his Quirk and tactics, he just shouts stupid delinquent threats as he does it.

Anyways, they see the potential in his abilities and that's enough to warrant his presence there. Through time, mentorship, and personal experience he can learn to chill and be a hero. Which is supposed to be his character arc I believe, as opposed to us seeing the origin story of a future villain or some Sasuke/Naruto rivalry.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Just finished getting caught up on this series, and it rocks! :)

Nice characters, a protagonist and a supporting cast that you can root for. I really like the "All-for-one" quirk. Superheros with "Cursed With Awesome" powers are really cool. I was kinda hoping that the copy-cat guy would try and mimic his power...but that would've been mean.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thoughts about Stain:

Spoiler
    Show
    So "All For One" is passed on by eating the last person's DNA. All Might did it with hair, but it seemed that any thing would do. This leads us to Stain who consumes blood to paralyze people... and guess who's blood was sampled? Is this an oversight, or foreshadowing of an important plot point?

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Chimmon View Post
    Thoughts about Stain:

Spoiler
    Show
    So "All For One" is passed on by eating the last person's DNA. All Might did it with hair, but it seemed that any thing would do. This leads us to Stain who consumes blood to paralyze people... and guess who's blood was sampled? Is this an oversight, or foreshadowing of an important plot point?
    Here's my thoughts on that.

Spoiler
    Show
    We don't know all the full mechanics of how One For All is transferred so it might require say, the user to be nearing the end of their life to switch over. Deku also doesn't have the power fully, so he may not have the ability to pass it on yet because he's still only at 5% capacity with it, and it's unlikely he'll get it to full power until All Might dies, to fully give him every thing. It may also be that it can only be sent to one person at a time, so until Deku has it completely no one else can get it. Additionally the amount of blood that Stain got from Deku was really really small. It was barely a scratch. It's possible that just wouldn't be enough blood to get One For All.

That all being said, I think it WOULD be fascinating if something like this happened at some point. Someone gets a bit of All Might and suddenly Deku has to fight someone with that same power. Would be neat.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2015-08-07 at 10:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

This is a new thread for a new serie, so we should most likely be a little careful with avoiding spoilering to much of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    That aside, it is a really interesting observation with regards to Stain and the transfer of One For All.
    Though i think the ingestion of DNA bit is only a minor part of passing the torch. I think its a concious act to give the power over to someone else, as it is an actual passing of the power One for All, we have heard off how All Might is slowly losing it himself now.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2015-08-07 at 10:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    This is a new thread for a new serie, so we should most likely be a little careful with avoiding spoilering to much of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    That aside, it is a really interesting observation with regards to Stain and the transfer of One For All.
    Though i think the ingestion of DNA bit is only a minor part of passing the torch. I think its a concious act to give the power over to someone else, as it is an actual passing of the power One for All, we have heard off how All Might is slowly losing it himself now.
    Good point, I just figured since it'd been a week or so since that chapter it would be okay. You are right though!

Speaking of being right, your spoiler comment is really quite accurate and is a point I actually missed on mine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't a requirement for One For All that the recipient be Quirk-less? Something none of the villains and only a diminishing percentage of the population are?

I wasn't clear on this, the early chapters had a rather shakier translation that didn't seem to get what the work was going for exactly.

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't a requirement for One For All that the recipient be Quirk-less? Something none of the villains and only a diminishing percentage of the population are?

I wasn't clear on this, the early chapters had a rather shakier translation that didn't seem to get what the work was going for exactly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope. All Might and Deku are Quirkless, but it's been said All Might's teacher HAD a Quirk. Deku brings up that wouldn't it bet better to give someone like say, Todoroki the All For One, and All Might says "yeah probably but it wouldn't be 'right' because it's the person, not the power."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope. All Might and Deku are Quirkless, but it's been said All Might's teacher HAD a Quirk. Deku brings up that wouldn't it bet better to give someone like say, Todoroki the All For One, and All Might says "yeah probably but it wouldn't be 'right' because it's the person, not the power."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, though I get the impression from the School Festival arc that All Might doesn't know how One For All actually works. That or he's being gently deceitful about it for his own reasons. The whole thing with Deku being saved supposedly by hallucinations during that fight with the mind controller kid seems like foreshadowing to One For All's hitherto unknown true nature to me.

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, though I get the impression from the School Festival arc that All Might doesn't know how One For All actually works. That or he's being gently deceitful about it for his own reasons. The whole thing with Deku being saved supposedly by hallucinations during that fight with the mind controller kid seems like foreshadowing to One For All's hitherto unknown true nature to me.
    Spoiler
    Show

He's lying. It's made clear through the subtext that the hallucinations are a sign that Deku's taking the power in well, and it means that All Might has far less time then he realizes.

Basically, at least this is my read on it, the hallucinations are the spirits of every other user of All For One, and their sheer will helped him become strong enough to break the mind control. It WAS all Deku, but they just inspired him.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Oh yeah, that is also a good point, All Might newer told Deku anything about him slowly losing the power himself, despite descriping it as a torch to be passed on several times.

So i dont think we can trust what All Might have said 100 %, he isnt above a little deception for a good cause after all.

Regarding the teacher though, i take its the guy who are now training Deku? Do we have any evidence of him having had All For One though? it seemed like he just knew the previous carrier of it.

Else.. what do people think that the secret actually is? just some sort of really unique first generation quirk, that can be passed on to a worthy succesor?

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler
    Show

Oh yeah, that is also a good point, All Might newer told Deku anything about him slowly losing the power himself, despite descriping it as a torch to be passed on several times.

So i dont think we can trust what All Might have said 100 %, he isnt above a little deception for a good cause after all.

Regarding the teacher though, i take its the guy who are now training Deku? Do we have any evidence of him having had All For One though? it seemed like he just knew the previous carrier of it.

Else.. what do people think that the secret actually is? just some sort of really unique first generation quirk, that can be passed on to a worthy succesor?

Spoiler
    Show
    Gran Torino is not the guy who had the power originally.

The secret is that it's actually kind of evil, I think. It's basically forcing these people, volunteer's though they may be, to live up to this overwhelming ideal of Being An Icon. Look at All Might's body, and consider that he looks like that despite all that power. To become One For All, you are not only getting all the power...you are giving yourself for EVERYONE. You will end this adventure a bloody sac of meat, barely able to fight beyond your dying will, entrusting this curse of nobility to another.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Oh yes, Gran Torino, that was his name, and he were introduced in chapter 46.
    All Might says he were a friend of his predecessor, so i dont think he had it at all, despite knowing about it.

And it is a really interesting theory regarding One for All, though i still cant help but think its not as much about forcing, as giving those who would already have been shining a chance to actually burn.
    Though of course we then all know what its said about the candle that shine twice's as bright.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Might be that it is the first generation quirk, and all the quirks that everyone else thinks are first generation are actually the second generation of quirks. It's gone through 8 different bearers and Deku's part of the 3rd or 4th generation born since quirks were discovered, IIRC.

Of course, what that means for chronology depends a lot upon how tough the previous bearers of One for All were and just what sort of mojo that guy that mortally wounded All Might was packing to be able to do that.

I'm 99% certain that aside from All Might, who is dying, all of the previous bearers of the torch are dead, dead, dead. As part of passing the torch and having their flames dwindle and die.

Spoiler: Re: Bakugou's being a punkass ass
    Show
    so happy when I caught up and that was why he ended up getting picked by Jeanist, precisely to reform him.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-08-08 at 03:02 AM.
    Homebrew