New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Thor: Ragnarok — First Trailer

As someone who didn't grow up with the comics but did grow up with the cartoon series I'm really excited for all of this, I know it does look really silly but if they do this even half as good as ANY of the cartoons have handled this storyline I can't wait.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Speaking of Surtur: Marvel had Malekith in the last movie, the title of this one is "Ragnarok", but apparently there's no Surtur in sight? What a wasted opportunity!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Darth Ultron forgot to incorporate Jeff Goldblum into the story. Jeff Goldblum is playing a specific character called Grandmaster from the Marvel Comics. So in Marvel Comics tapping into "big bang energy" is a big deal. Grandmaster belongs to a group of beings called the Elders of the Universe which are old enough that they can tap into big bang energy called the Power Primordial, aka it is a form of cosmic creation energy. Now the stuff the Silver Surfer uses and the other Heralds of Galactus and Galactus himself is the Power Cosmic which is also big bang energy but effectively you can change one big bang energy style to another big bang energy style if you access the Power Cosmic that Galactus and his Heralds use, yet if you use big bang energy that the Elders of the Universe use which is the Power Primordial you are accessing big bang energy but you can form it in less complex ways and you can't take energy and reform it in a new way that you could do if you access the power cosmic.

-----

Now I am not saying these marvel characters are related to the power cosmic and the power primordial but to use an analogy or metaphor.

Cyclops has big destructive Laser Eye, It is great at breaking things due to its concusive force.

Vulcan by contrast is a person like Bishop on Steroids which absorbs energy and then he can manifest that energy in its original form or change it to do fancy stuff, so much fancy stuff he is practically a spellcaster in the amount of variety of things he can do.

-----

Aka to use a D&D Analogy one is 9th level Spellcasting in D&D and there are lots of 9th level spells and Elders of the Universe like Grandmaster and Collector know a single 9th level spell each. Some Elders get 1 spell a day and some get multiple spells a day but still only know one 9th level spell though some 9th level spells like meteor shower have an A or B option

Silver Surfer is a spontaneous spellcaster who knows lots of 9th level spells but has limited spell slots.

And some people who are more powerful like the different showings of Galactus where he is at almost full power vs also Galactus but with weak amount of energy is like a person with all the spells known memorized and he can cast spells spontaneously (like a Beholder Mage) and thus knowing all 9th level spells and cast spontaneously but how many spells per day and how many actions per round he gets varies depending on his stress level. Regardless his worse showings vs his best showings is just a question of how silly he can get, galactus is always a threat but sometimes he is individual threat, or a planetary threat, or solary systems threat and sometimes he is galaxy or cosmic level threat.

-------

So one of the thing about the Elders of the Universe is each elder is an archetype to itself, they are all individual last species of their race and are now the last of their species of their kind / planet somehow this gives the ability to not die of natural causes. Furthermore they have to be damn old, just being the last of your species / planet is not enough to be an Elder, it is an exclusive club but we do not know all the rules. Yet each Elder, all of them individually for some reason only do 1 thing either because it is a compulsion force on them via the universe or maybe they just like doing only 1 thing we really do not know and it does not matter.

So the Collector collects things he has been in a few MCU movies such as Guardians of the Galaxy One where he talked about infinity stones, and some cameos in the other MCU movies like post credit scenes that unite everything with infinity stones.

The Grandmaster as an Elder his archetype is likes setting up games and watching aka you get to do fictional team ups where you collect various heroes and do things like the Secret Wars as an excuse to sell comics. Hey we want to have a Thor vs Hulk match, what can make this happen, lets deus ex machina this stuff and use a stand in that is flimsy as a daemon / demon / angel / god /djini and this is the Grandmaster who only purpose is to set up this team games of X vs Y. The key point that Darth did not explain which caused me to write this long post is he creates these situations instead of them just happening.. He is an active force in the universe creating battle matches.

Now if all this interest you do not read the wikipedia page on Elders of the Universe for Thor Ragnarok information if you do not want to be spoiled for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. This is because Guardians of the Galaxy 2 comes out in May 2017 and Thor Ragnarok comes out in Nov 2017 and both of them have elder of the universe spoilers in their trailers but unless you are familiar with the comics you do not know if they are talking about the same elder of the universe or different elders of the universe but if you go to wikipedia article on elders of the universe it will spill out enough information on which elders where in the movie trailers over the over dozen plus elders of the universe characters that you will be spoiled of suprises and reveals but it would not be a reveal if you read the comics type thing.

But yeah just like Infinity Stones were a thing that was introduced in Part 1 of the MCU with the tesseract and then expanded with the rest of Part 2 MCU movies. It looks like elders of the universe are also a uniyfing force in telling the MCU story with the elders being stuff that unite movies before Infinity War.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Darth Ultron forgot to incorporate Jeff Goldblum into the story. .
    I think it will be a bit part....like the Collector from GotG. So for like six whole minutes we will see ''oh wow, the Grandmaster runs the gladiator games'' and then the character will be gone from the movie. I guess it makes a good ''villain'' for Loki to take out.....like Thor and Hulk escape and the Grandmaster is like ''activate the prison nanobots'', and that is when Loki back stabs him...literally...in the back.

So yea, like six minutes total of screen time....and he won't have the ''power cosmic'' or anything.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    I really liked the trailer, though Thor bounces back from his trauma pretty quick. See your world devastated and hammer destroyed? Oh, hey, gladiator fight, and I'm having fun again!
    Maybe it was the first good news he had all month?

6. - Top - End - #66

Bumping to see who's going to check this out Thursday night.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    Speaking of Surtur: Marvel had Malekith in the last movie, the title of this one is "Ragnarok", but apparently there's no Surtur in sight? What a wasted opportunity!

That still of Hulk and Surtur is from the comic con trailer for Ragnarok.

Aka this trailer

And then there is a joke about Thor and Hulk both being like fire, and then they show the literal king of the fire giants (aka we now have 3 fires)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Bumping to see who's going to check this out Thursday night.
    I already saw it - I guess it hit UK theatres before the US?

It's pretty good, I'd rate it as a pretty standard MCU movie with better-than-average comedy and a slightly below-average plot. The actual thrust of the story wasn't anything special, but the characters (especially Loki) were in fine form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, Dr. Strange's cameo was hilarious.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm having a bit of difficulty reconciling the reviews saying this is such a super light, funny film, with the idea that

Spoiler
    Show
    Asgard apparently gets basically levelled?

But I haven't seen it yet, trying to decide whether to go or not.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw it this past weekend and must say it was worth the price of admission. In my opinion the best of the 3 Thor movies so far by a large margin and a fairly solid one in relation to the MCU in general.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was very happy to see the hulk (not Banner) finally become a character instead of a plot point and his interactions with Thor made the film for me.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

11. - Top - End - #71

SwashbucklerGuy

That still of Hulk and Surtur is from the comic con trailer for Ragnarok.
    Considering how Surtur was used in the movie, I think I'd have preferred it if they left him out.
    Well, be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    But I haven't seen it yet, trying to decide whether to go or not.
    If it helps, let me quote myself:

"Just watched 'Thor: Ragnarok'. It dropped nearly all of the dramatic potential and dignity of characters and narrative alike in favour of more action and humour. I'd classify it as 'Guardians of the Galaxy' without the emotional depth. It's not a bad movie per se - I found it to be a lot more fun than 'The Dark World', for instance -, but it's not really my cup of tea.

That said, the homages to classic comic moments were terrible. They lacked all of the gravitas and emotion of the originals."
    Last edited by The Troubadour; 2017-10-31 at 09:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, so, deciding if I should see it or not.

A few notes. I hated the first two Thor movies. Don’t give a single crap about any of the human characters or Thor’s love interest. The “emotional depth” of the movie characters have mostly been lost to me.

But, Skurge’s last stand at Gjallerbru is one of my all time favorite comic moments. And I know Skurge is in the movie.

So worth seeing, for Skurge?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post

A few notes. I hated the first two Thor movies. Don’t give a single crap about any of the human characters or Thor’s love interest. The “emotional depth” of the movie characters have mostly been lost to me.

But, Skurge’s last stand at Gjallerbru is one of my all time favorite comic moments. And I know Skurge is in the movie.

Well, I'm not very familiar with Skurge, so I'm not sure how accurate the portrayal was, but about the human character you'll be happy to know that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jane is completely absent from this movie only being name dropped once and the only human characters that appear in the movie are Bruce Banner and Dr. Strange (briefly).

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

14. - Top - End - #74

Arguably, Bruce isn't human any more.

And that's pretty much the opposite of a spoiler, since we already knew both of them were in the film.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As someone who didn't like either of the first two Thor movies, I enjoyed this one. The description above is pretty accurate - it's Guardians of the Galaxy without the emotional depth. Of course, emotional depth wasn't an area where I felt either GotG movie excelled either, so your mileage may vary.

It felt kind of filler-ish - a goofy movie that is mostly unimportant (but fun to watch) fluff bookended by quite important events. The main villain is just about the least memorable out of the MCU movies with the exception of Thor 2, and I say that because that's the only MCU movie where I actually don't remember the plot.

I think it's definitely worth a watch if you liked Guardians (or MCU-style comedy in general), but just go in knowing that Civil War this ain't.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Fan Theory.

Jane Foster in the Marvel Cinematic Universe does not actually exist. Instead Jane Foster is just a Loki image construct designed to troll Thor and to keep him distracted and away from Asgard.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

It felt kind of filler-ish - a goofy movie that is mostly unimportant (but fun to watch) fluff bookended by quite important events. The main villain is just about the least memorable out of the MCU movies with the exception of Thor 2, and I say that because that's the only MCU movie where I actually don't remember the plot.
    Uh... something something the elf king glues some red stuff to what'shername Thor's Girlfriend, something something portals between worlds something bad happens? Then it ends in a fistfight like all marvel movies.

I swear, I actually like the Thor movies. In concept. They are just so much more interesting than the other Marvel movies. In theory.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Uh... something something the elf king glues some red stuff to what'shername Thor's Girlfriend, something something portals between worlds something bad happens? Then it ends in a fistfight like all marvel movies.

I swear, I actually like the Thor movies. In concept. They are just so much more interesting than the other Marvel movies. In theory.
    I actually prefer the Thor Movies to the Captain America movies... (Feels the sound of hissing from people who read this line)

Then again can someone explain to me this Dark World movie some people are referring to? Can someone explain to me why Loki was thought to be dead and not in a prison in Asgard and how Odin was put in a nursing home...it seems like really important things that there should be a Thor Movie about...really important...yet I can't remember a movie explaining all of this, it thus must have been explained in Marvel's Agents in Shield or one of the Netflix Marvel series?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    A fist fight? I thought it was more Power Rangers with posing and energy beams. Like the Elf King grows giant size and then Thor shoots his arms off with Megazord power or something.

Fan Theory.

Jane Foster in the Marvel Cinematic Universe does not actually exist. Instead Jane Foster is just a Loki image construct designed to troll and seduce Thor.
    If Loki is impersonating Jane there's got to be a slash element to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post

Skurge's character has been somewhat retooled. I haven't seen the film, but the TvTropes character page describing the shifts in his personality didn't fill me with optimism on that front.

20. - Top - End - #80

Daemon

I actually prefer the Thor Movies to the Captain America movies... (Feels the sound of hissing from people who read this line)

Then again can someone explain to me this Dark World movie some people are referring to? Can someone explain to me why Loki was thought to be dead and not in a prison in Asgard and how Odin was put in a nursing home...it seems like really important things that there should be a Thor Movie about...really important...yet I can't remember a movie explaining all of this, it thus must have been explained in Marvel's Agents in Shield or one of the Netflix Marvel series?
    Well have you seen Thor 2? in Thor 2 Loki died and than suddenly he was sitting in Odin's chair, impersonating Odin, and Odin was missing.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I loved that they actually took time out in Ragnarok to cover the ending of Dark World, or at least the high points. For all the other movies in the MCU they just kind of assume you've watched the rest of them, but I guess Dark World was bad enough they decided a lot of people might be coming into this one a bit lost. The fact that events on Asgard had little-to-no relevance to Earth just made the problem worse.

22. - Top - End - #82

I will agree with you there. Cap's movies are, I think, better movies. Very well done. Just very well done movies I don't happen to like. I hate war movies, and spy thrillers that are more explosions than, you know, spying don't do much for me. On the other hand, in the first Thor movie, I hated just about every scene on Earth. Edit that out, I would love it! Thor 2 I am in the minority on. It is one of my favorite Marvel films so far (Strange is my absolute favorite). So I'm probably going to love this new one!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Well have you seen Thor 2? in Thor 2 Loki died and than suddenly he was sitting in Odin's chair, impersonating Odin, and Odin was missing.
    There are only 2 Thor Feature Films, Thor (2011) and its sequel Thor: Ragnarok (2017). I hear there is this thing called Thor Dark World, but obviously that is just a tv arc for no way would someone spend 150 million dollars making that script into a global feature film. People do not greenlight movies with that bad of a script!

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I will agree with you there. Cap's movies are, I think, better movies. Very well done. Just very well done movies I don't happen to like. I hate war movies, and spy thrillers that are more explosions than, you know, spying don't do much for me. On the other hand, in the first Thor movie, I hated just about every scene on Earth. Edit that out, I would love it! Thor 2 I am in the minority on. It is one of my favorite Marvel films so far (Strange is my absolute favorite). So I'm probably going to love this new one!
    Sounds about like my opinion. The Cap movies just don't ever do anything very interesting and I nearly fell asleep during the second half of First Avenger. Winter Soldier had enough fight scenes to not be boring, but it left a bit of a bad taste in parts and the story and setting were again not very interesting.
    Thor... Thor at least tries to do something creative and I like the first one a lot. The second one wouldn't even need to chance much to be good. Namely, cut out Jane Foster entirely, cut everything set on Earth to half and use that Screentime to give Malekith some character. I mean hell, they had Christopher Eccleston and they barely let him act.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked Cap 1, but 2 and 3 were films I didn't like although they were well made.

I didn't like how ineffective they made the non Hydra half of SHIELD, and NPCs in general.

Liked Thor 1, neutral to Thor 2 (although Loki's charm wore very thin), haven't seen Thor 3, and I now don't think I'll go see it in theatres due ther aforementioned

Spoiler
    Show
    Light and Funny= Destruction of Asgard
    issue.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

I have decided that if Galadriel ever decided to take the one ring this is what she will become.

“And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!”
    I am the goddess of death

27. - Top - End - #87

Well, it's certainly a better look on her than a blue colour filter and some floaty hair.

28. - Top - End - #88

Her goth look when she shatters the hammer would be better, though.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Skurge's character has been somewhat retooled. I haven't seen the film, but the TvTropes character page describing the shifts in his personality didn't fill me with optimism on that front.
    Disappointing but not unexpected. Skurge was so good because we saw his fall to irrelevance over the years that his final act felt all the more rewarding. It’d be hard or near impossible to do in 1 movie.

30. - Top - End - #90

So, just got back from seeing this. My overall thoughts:

Spoiler: just in case
    Show
    I thought it was good, but not amazing. My main problem is that they couldn't seem to decide on a tone. On the one hand, you have Odin dying, Hela showing up, Asgard in danger, and so forth, but on the other hand... there are a *ton* of jokes in this movie. It feels, I don't know, inconsistent? Mostly I still liked it, but I feel like they were trying to do Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy at the same time, and I wish they had just picked one and stuck with it.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.