New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thor: Ragnarok — First Trailer

I have a feeling that Loki will play the role that Mephisto did in the original Infinity Gauntlet comic, seeming to betray the heroes and serving as Thanos' advisor / toadie but subtley manipulating him into making bad tactical decisions that allow the heroes the possibility of victory.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we know from the trailer that Loki has the Tessathingy, Darkseid (sorry, Thanos) shows up at the end of Thor, then Thanos has the space stone later in the movie, so he must get it from Loki somehow.

So either Thanos is going to force Loki to hand it over, or Loki has betrayed Thor yet again.
    Whats more likely is that both Thor and Loki were caught by Thanatos.
    The point that was eventually driven home by Ragnarok, and by a superb performance from Loki's actor, is that deep down, Loki really does care about Thor. Even if it rarely shows.

And from the next GofG movie it seems that Thor is held captive but resqued by the guardians. So it seems possible that having Thor as hostage is all the leverage Thanatos need to make Loki attack a place he does not really care about at all.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #243

Thanos. Thanatos is a different guy, probably tied up in the Hulk rights.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Whats more likely is that both Thor and Loki were caught by Thanatos.
    The point that was eventually driven home by Ragnarok, and by a superb performance from Loki's actor, is that deep down, Loki really does care about Thor. Even if it rarely shows.

And from the next GofG movie it seems that Thor is held captive but resqued by the guardians. So it seems possible that having Thor as hostage is all the leverage Thanatos need to make Loki attack a place he does not really care about at all.
    I don't think Thor is being held captive, I think he's trying to hold his spaceship together by hand.....

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Having finally seen the movie, I desire to share my first impressions:

While I appreciated the nod to Planet Hulk, I was really rather disappointed by Korg, he just... While I recognized the cleverness in most of his jokes, they were also pretty much all so tonally dissonant with the film that they just felt insulting to the story that was actually happening.

Was expecting the moment where the crowd cheers for Thor to anger Hulk and turn him into a rampage against the audience. Not exactly disappointed, since instead we got more of Hulk being... better adjusted and self-aware?

Rather irritated at the Gamemaster for cheating. Both the character himself, and the writers.

Everything with Loki was gold. Everything. I especially enjoyed many of the little moments, like when Thor tells the tale of Loki stabbing him when they were eight, and Loki has this little smile at his own fun. If he finishes the MCU run as a good guy, or at least a mostly-okay guy, I would be pretty happy with that.

I actually really liked Skirge's arc, and I'm rather sad he died, though I suppose there wouldn't really be much more story that they would have space to tell about him.

Overall, I think this is a movie I would have utterly loved as a child, but I still feel like the whole Asgardian storyline, even into this movie, has suffered from the studio's unwillingness to really commit to the high fantasy and magic that it needed. The first movie tried too hard to justify it as, "Like science," and the second tried to be too dark and serious. This one goes to the other extreme, which is for the better, but they still seem uncomfortable with the high fantasy and can't really leave it alone. I agree with others when they say that a lot of the comedy here has been in potentia for a while, but too often it distracts or detracts from the main line of the story. I'd prefer it closer to Buffy or Firefly style (since I think it's fair to say that Joss Whedon has been an enormous influence on this kind of comedy) where the stakes and the gravity aren't really reduced by the laughter. Or where you can have moments like Wash's death, a moment that is simultaneously horrifying and funny (in a dark, horrifying way... I swear I'm not a psychopath) right on the tails of triumph.

Also, thoughts regarding the post-credits scene: Loki totally grabbed the tesseract, right? And (barring Heimdall having one of the stones for his eyes) that's why Thanos is there, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Also, thoughts regarding the post-credits scene: Loki totally grabbed the tesseract, right? And (barring Heimdall having one of the stones for his eyes) that's why Thanos is there, right?
    Have you seen the trailer for Age of Ultron yet? It shows Loki handing over the Tesseract, so I feel that pretty much confirms it.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Have you seen the trailer for Age of Ultron yet? It shows Loki handing over the Tesseract, so I feel that pretty much confirms it.
    Infinity War, not Age of Ultron, and I don't recall it showing him actually handing it over, just holding it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #248

True, but we know from shots of Thanos that he has the Space Stone in the Gauntlet, so he gets his hands on the Tesseract at some point. Probably early on, since that would allow him to invade Earth again.

9. - Top - End - #249

Well, the discs are out, so I guess we can bump this for discussing the extras.

Usually, when I go through the deleted scenes, I find several I wish had been left in. Surprisingly, I'm very happy with all the cuts this time. The only one that might change is the one with Skurge, and that depends on when in the film it slots in.

Oh, and if you like director commentary, Taika is joined by his daughter for part of his.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Taika is really fun and funny.
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

The deleted scenes are over-the-top funny. I agree with cutting them, though. The movie has great pacing without them.