The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Chortan's Guild OOC

Spoiler: Original Intro quote
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    System: Pathfinder
    Player Count: 7, but see notes
    Style of Play: Highly variable.
    Allowed Content:
    • Non-variant 1st party Paizo available on d20 PF SRD is open game.
    • All other content (including Paizo content NOT on d20 PF SRD for any reason) must meet the following criteria:
      1. It must be accessible to all players
      2. It must be specifically requested
      3. It must be voted upon; approval requires 2/3rds majority of those who choose to reply to the request

Character Creation:
    • High Fantasy Point Buy (see Here: 20 points)
    • Starting Level 12 (exact). No XP progression; you gain one level for each completed adventure arc under a given DM. Note that there are good odds this will mess up WBL for later, unclear which direction.
    • PC Wealth by level for 12th (108,000 gp)
    • Gestalt (Monsters as PCs OK as class levels)
    • Fractional BAB/saves
    • Two traits
    • Backstory: Definitely have one. We are all assumed to have met, and be allied with each other for one reason or another.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max first, average (round up) for the rest. So a d12 gets 7 HP (before Con), a d10 gets 6 hp (before con), and so on.
    • Alignment: Any, but MUST be a 'team player'. Those who sabotage their fellows, steal from their allies, or cannot accept a group decision are not the sort that survive very long in a dangerous environment.

Other Notes:
    Rotating DM. Every accepted player is ALSO a DM. We all take turns on being the DM, and each of us runs a "guild mission' (a shortish story arc) - when your turn to DM is up, your PC is elsewhere doing ambiguous things in the background, not on screen. Your character does not gain levels or wealth when you are DM'ing. There will be no DMPC's. If a DM vanishes, that arc is dropped, and the next person's turn is up. I'll go ahead and take the first story arc.

If you have trouble coming up with adventuring ideas, here's a modest method intended to help inspire based on a lecture I heard while in high school:
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Come up with a listing of thematically-approrpiate nouns, and number them.
    Spoiler: example nouns
    Show
    1:Princess, 2:Queen, 3:Prince, 4:King, 5:Dragon, 6:Demon, 7:Devil, 8:Golem, 9:Wizard, 10:Priest, 11:Angel, 12:Archon, 13:Ghost, 14:Statue, 15:Castle, 16:Baby, 17:Ogre, 18:Unicorn, 19:Fairy, 20:Vampire

2) Come up with a listing of thematically-appropriate verbs that could go between two nouns, and number those.
    Spoiler: example verbs
    Show
    1:Marries, 2:Divorces, 3:Murders, 4:Eats, 5:Creates, 6:Destroys, 7:Fathers, 8:Captures, 9:Befriends, 10:Becomes, 11:Bears, 12:Kidnaps, 13:Rescues, 14:Controls, 15:Transforms, 16:Disgraces, 17:Promotes, 18:Enslaves, 19:Frees, 20:Instructs

3) Roll [Noun] [Verb] [Noun]. This is your 'seed' of an idea.
    Spoiler: example
    Show
    [roll0]: Golem Rescues Princess

4) Build a situation such that the roll might work as a three-word summary of what someone involved wants to happen. Then figure out how the guild might help or hinder those plans, who involved might approach the guild, and so on.
    Spoiler: example
    Show
    The princess Samantha was in-route to be delivered to a wedding to cement a treaty between two warring countries, when a red dragon swooped down on the caravan. Samantha's guards were quickly slain, but one her handmaidens escaped with an odd story: A giant stone cat got between the princess and the dragon's breath, snatched the princess up in it's teeth, and vanished with her. It is unclear what became of her, and the guild has been asked to retrieve her so that the wedding - and the peace - can commence.

5) Add some fluffy bits, and done.

Edit: The Simple templates are EVIL. Please don't use them.

Thank you M. Arillius for the tracking of sheets, requests, and responses.

Deadline for requests, voting, and interest: March 30.
    Sheets due: April 6th.
    Spoiler: M. Arillius tracking quote
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Arillius View Post
    Player/Character Table
    Player Monster Race Classes Character Sheet Background
    Jack_Simth Ghost Nypmh Oracle / Druid Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros On Sheet
    neriractor Former Titan (Aghasura) Warpriest Bedderuth "forgetful one" On Sheet
    M. Arillius Rain Spirit (Bone Devil) Soul Archer / Warpriest Rame Toko On Sheet
    NiveanDauphin Collossal Tsukumogami Tactician / Warlord Eldrew MigRychecht* Done
    redfeline Catfolk Beastlord (Tiger) Investigator/Harbinger Hoya On Sheet
    Gunhaven Mature Adult Nightmare Dragon Witch (Dreamweaver / Wyrmwitch) / Psychic Thurkeaer On Sheet
    EdinoiZ Half Celestial Axiomite Armorist (Soaring Blade) 5-03-X-47 / Soexat N/A
    JBarca Half Dragon Valkyrie Paladin Menja On Sheet
    Tuvarkz Half Dragon Lamia Matriarch Dragon Disciple / Bard (Rubato) Elyriah Windstep On sheet
    Illven Succubus Unchained Rogue/ Diviner Heather Harrington On Sheet
    ThreadNecro5 Demonic Mohrg ??? Ayrsydm and Thrall On Sheet
    *Pending Approval of Requests

Request Table
    1.) Player/Request
    Jack_Simth
    neriractor
    M. Arillius
    Illven
    NiveanDauphin
    redfeline
    Gunhaven
    JBarca
    Tuvarkz
    ThreadNecro5
    Tally
    Status
    A = Approval
    D = Denied
    R = Replies
    - = No reply
    * = Conditional or Requires further Discussion
    Requested = Made the Request

Spoiler: Conditions
    Show

24.) Inveigler template- Approved, but can only have one being dominated at a time. If another being would become dominated by this affect, the first domination ends. Ability uses Will Save equal to 10+1/2 HD+Cha.

26.) Do not gain dragon immunities. Keep Outsider stuff.

28.) Precog only

32.) Must update with playtest unless a vote approves keeping certain aspects.

Spoiler: Approved Rules + Items
    Show
    Sphere's of Power
    Psionic's Unleashed
    Path of War
    Guath Race
    Figurine Change
    Companion Figurine Taken Multiple Times
    Dreamweaver for Non-changeling
    Dream Creature from Green Rhonin
    3.5 Racial Stats
    Path of War: Expanded
    Cohort-less Leadership
    Undead version of Moss Lich
    Single Template Per Character (On top of Monster race)
    One free template (with limit on CR of said template)
    Vampire Lord but instead of Leadership get money for a Stronghold
    Fix for Feat Taxes
    Should Undead leave Con untouched in Point Buy
    DM's character levels off screen
    DM's character gets some kind of wealth off screen
    Inveigler
    Thronefused
    Stay Outsider When taking Half-Dragon Template
    Mist Template
    Psychic Creature (Precog)
    Evil Azata-Inspired
    Small Undead, with Small Stat Changes
    Planetar Celestial-Blessed Creature Template
    Moonlight Meditant Archetype
    High-Psionics Soulknives
    Dirty Strike (Ex)

Spoiler: Denied Rules + Items
    Show
    Mighty Template
    Alacritous
    Called Shots
    Living Shadow (Su)
    Unchained Oracle Curse
    Forsaken Oracle Curse
    Spoiler: Teams because we had a lot of players
    Show

Blue: Jack_Simth, Illven, JBarca, M. Arillius, redfeline
    Red: Gunhaven, ThreadNecro5, NiveanDauphin, neriractor
    Spoiler: Missions
    Show
    Mission 1: Jack_Simth DM'ing

Spoiler: Updated Group 1 Character Table
    Show

Player Monster Race Classes Character Sheet Background
    Jack_Simth Ghost Nypmh Oracle / Druid Darshee Elazumin Dazeiros On Sheet
    JBarca Half Dragon Valkyrie Paladin Menja On Sheet
    Illven Succubus Unchained Rogue/ Diviner Heather Harrington On Sheet
    Lord Bayushi Smoke Guardian Naga sorcerer/PoW Investigator Corivar the Ashen here
    Genth Agathion-Invested Ghaele Azata Ordained Defender Sikhī Pabhāvatī On Sheet
    Gunhaven Ghost Contemplative Evangelist/Warpriest + Dips Quill's Google Document and Sheet Needs migration
    Da'Shain Fey Megaraptor Dragon Disciple // Warlord Todorakh On Sheet
    greenpotato Fey Shadow Living Rune CR//Wizard The Tome of Alphonse Alecson On Sheet
    Hannah Ahmuuth (Psychopomp) CR 6/Inquisitor (Ravener Hunter) 8//Hunter (Divine Hunter) 14 Ahmuuth, Avatar Form, Animal Companion
    Kaouse Human Aegis (Host of Heroes) || Soulknife (Living Legend) Casmar Tabbler, The Page Knight On Sheet
    ChaoticHarmony Unfettered Eidolon Unfettered Eidolon//Feral Striker Izzidionz aka Izzy
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2019-04-12 at 07:04 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Chortan's Guild OOC

Howdy, all. Exciting to have finally reached this point! Thanks for stepping up to the plate first, Jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    That is the question-
    Whether 'tis more noble in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of Tucker's Kobolds
    Or to take arms against a Sea of Mooks
    And by casting Protection from Arrows, end them?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Agreed! I can't wait for this game to start. That said, now that we've got a Blue team going, it's time to finally solidify the ideas for the setting and story. Also, Jack. We may want to simply use this as the Blue Team OOC, so as to save on clutter. In that case feel free to edit down the list of characters.

I believe the ideas currently on the table are...
    -The group is already a team and a guild. Everyone already knows each other.
    -Base in an Interplanar setting, a hub city between planes

We need to settle everything else before we know exactly how our characters would have met, but the first note is a basic requirement of the group structure from the recruitment thread set by Jack, so at the very least we can work on how our characters feel about each other now while we ponder setting specifics.

Speaking of, I'm fine with both an interplanar hub city or something more normal in nature. The former opens up a literal crap ton of worlds and possibilities but the second one means we can juxtapose a strange force of people with everyday sorts of kingdoms, creating interesting stories in the process.

As far as interpersonal stuff goes, Rame is a demigod with surprisingly little go in regards to his demigod status. His father's a powerful Weather god, yada yada, but Rame has purposefully stepped away from all that to do his own thing. He's also walked both walks of life, as a wandering traveler that helped people and an assassin... Though the latter could also be considered high stakes contract mercenary work considering he never chose a 'non-combatant' target.

@Jack: Of the group, I imagine Darshee potentially disliking Rame the most. He's an immortal being that chose to kill for a living. Given her own thoughts on death that probably wouldn't go over well. That said, since working with the guild he seems to be just as amendable to the more noble thoughts and ideals of the others involved, so many that's changing for the better?

@Jbar: Menja is going to be an interesting. She was and is a literal servant of a God. Despite being cast out, she went right back to start serving again. Rame is the son of a God, a god that's so old he's almost senile with just how wide his mind and awareness has been spread. Both are immortal creatures of divine origin (either created or birthed) with very different views on those creators but strangely similar beliefs in honor. Rame is a bit less merciful and a bit more mercenary, but he's still got a code and keeps to his word. I can see both contention and camaraderie as possibilities. Rame is prone toward the latter as a generally jolly and friendly sort of fellow but that doesn't mean the former isn't possible. Thoughts?

@Red: Hoya is another interesting character. I don't see any particular connection being forged initially beyond 'Rame is friendly to everyone who doesn't give him a reason not to be' but perhaps, if you're willing, we could tie Rame's father into her tribe? Rame is far enough removed that I don't expect him to get enough worship but it might be interesting if her people had a name for his father, who is the 'premiere' deity of the sky/weather.

@Illven: Depending on how much Heather has shared I could see either Rame just being a drinking body or being a more sympathetic friend. He doesn't know much about the abyss or devils, though he also doesn't have a problem with them either since his attitude is pretty lax about origins.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

@The group situation, I was thinking the adventuring guild was on Sigil, allowing for relatively easy access to other planes. (With potential hooks of a portal is only open for a certain amount of time, the portal is owned by someone, etc.) Heather's backstory also includes the concept of multiple material planes.

@Jack. While Heather's probably smitten with the ghostly nymph, I could see Darshee having a variety of reactions, Heather is simultaneously an example of all she strove against, the body of a servant of the gods. While being an exception, still with the mind of her human form only slightly changed. I imagine it depends on how much Darshee has preached to Heather.

@M.Arillius I imagine it depends, Heather's not one to recite her life story, but if asked she would at least mention the death and awakening in the abyss. On the otherhand she's not much one for drinking.

@J.bar I imagine some amount of hostility from Menja. She's a paladin, and Heather's a succubus and even if she's not evil, she sure as hell isn't good either.

@Red I could see a connection in that they both have to focus their magics. Hoya for control, Heather in her books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

@group: I am kind of leaning towards the guild hall being on a plane some where and not a planar metropolis. I also think it would be fun for the hall to be a casting a mages magnificent mansion or similarly invisible and mobile.

The group could be on the run. With so many members obviously not being "normal" they need to move and hide, despite doing various tasks for either the benefit of all or in fulfillment of a contract. This allows for stealth sort of game play that has consequences that can be explored if we do poorly at it. If the base is mobile it also makes us meeting at the base more interesting as we need to track our base while out adventuring.

The above assumes the guild is more than just us, which leads me into the next question of recurring guild NPCs. How many other people are in the guild if we are indeed doing a true guild and not an adventuring party?

@M.Ari, I'd rather not have a connection to your characters father.

@J.bar, despite not going full paladin and being part of a more monk like branch I imagine our characters could talk a fair amount based on the 'trade' and what it means to be a paladin.

@Jack and Illven, Hoya would not be openly hostile to you, (and in fact is not hostile,) but she was openly suspicious at first.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

6. - Top - End - #6

@Red How recently ago did she stop being hostile.

How long have we been together for that matter?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    @group: I am kind of leaning towards the guild hall being on a plane some where and not a planar metropolis. I also think it would be fun for the hall to be a casting a mages magnificent mansion or similarly invisible and mobile.

The group could be on the run. With so many members obviously not being "normal" they need to move and hide, despite doing various tasks for either the benefit of all or in fulfillment of a contract. This allows for stealth sort of game play that has consequences that can be explored if we do poorly at it. If the base is mobile it also makes us meeting at the base more interesting as we need to track our base while out adventuring.

The above assumes the guild is more than just us, which leads me into the next question of recurring guild NPCs. How many other people are in the guild if we are indeed doing a true guild and not an adventuring party?

@M.Ari, I'd rather not have a connection to your characters father.

@J.bar, despite not going full paladin and being part of a more monk like branch I imagine our characters could talk a fair amount based on the 'trade' and what it means to be a paladin.

@Jack and Illven, Hoya would not be openly hostile to you, (and in fact is not hostile,) but she was openly suspicious at first.
    That's a very different approach to the game as stands. What inspired the idea? I don't see a group of lawful aligned characters being on the run very much, nor a group this powerful running very much.

As far as Rame's father goes, as written he is the sky deity, so any worship toward weather or the sky, a common thing for tribal people, went to him. I wasn't suggesting a direct link that your character worshiped his father as a cleric but I'm having a hard time imagining 'being from a culture that payed homage to an elder sky god' as being something so offensive as to immediately dismiss it out of hand. Also, simply saying no without providing a reason for it or some other thought to replace it isn't very productive toward getting a group dynamic going.
    Last edited by M. Arillius; 2017-04-12 at 04:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed! I can't wait for this game to start. That said, now that we've got a Blue team going, it's time to finally solidify the ideas for the setting and story. Also, Jack. We may want to simply use this as the Blue Team OOC, so as to save on clutter. In that case feel free to edit down the list of characters.

I believe the ideas currently on the table are...
    -The group is already a team and a guild. Everyone already knows each other.
    -Base in an Interplanar setting, a hub city between planes

We need to settle everything else before we know exactly how our characters would have met, but the first note is a basic requirement of the group structure from the recruitment thread set by Jack, so at the very least we can work on how our characters feel about each other now while we ponder setting specifics.

Speaking of, I'm fine with both an interplanar hub city or something more normal in nature. The former opens up a literal crap ton of worlds and possibilities but the second one means we can juxtapose a strange force of people with everyday sorts of kingdoms, creating interesting stories in the process.
    How many of us have planar travel possibilities? Darshee at least has Shadow Walk (and some darkness abilities to always have dim lighting available), which gets us just about wherever. If at least one other person has planar travel capabilities, the city of doors is irrelevant to where we can go, because we can get just about wherever anyway.

@Jack: Of the group, I imagine Darshee potentially disliking Rame the most. He's an immortal being that chose to kill for a living. Given her own thoughts on death that probably wouldn't go over well. That said, since working with the guild he seems to be just as amendable to the more noble thoughts and ideals of the others involved, so many that's changing for the better?
    LN, not LG. There's lots of killers in the world, and it's unlikely that your kill rate compares to simple things like "old age", "starvation", and "disease". She doesn't care for killing, but she's planning on making the task close-to-impossible (eventually), and she's quite well aware that she may need to do some things she detests in order to get to her ultimate goal. She may even be convinced to help out in a murder... if she can be made to see it lines up with her ultimate goals, and she can't think of a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    @The group situation, I was thinking the adventuring guild was on Sigil, allowing for relatively easy access to other planes. (With potential hooks of a portal is only open for a certain amount of time, the portal is owned by someone, etc.) Heather's backstory also includes the concept of multiple material planes.

@Jack. While Heather's probably smitten with the ghostly nymph, I could see Darshee having a variety of reactions, Heather is simultaneously an example of all she strove against, the body of a servant of the gods. While being an exception, still with the mind of her human form only slightly changed. I imagine it depends on how much Darshee has preached to Heather.
    Preached? Nah. No point in "converts" until such time as there is a feasible way to mass-convert people into an effectively deathless form. She'd be much more inclined to borrow Heather's expertise:
    The details and mechanics of the gathering of souls for the abyss (likely related to what Darshee wants to make happen), 'harvest rates' of Heather and her companions, counts of 'harvesters' (determines expected population in what is supposed to be a no-loss environment), population levels of the deceased where she drops them off (expected population - actual population = loss rate), confirming the lack of mortal memories in most of the 'harvested' (confirmation of another bit of Darshee's beliefs - if essentially everyone loses all their memories when they die, they're not them anymore, are they?), details of her experience in death and rising (there might be a key to how Heather retained her memories in that) and so on.
    Having left behind the desires of the flesh with the flesh, such love will never be consummated. Darshee still remembers the flesh, and thus wouldn't be averse to occasionally making a plaything for Heather via Mount + Baelful Shadow Transmutation, and possibly Dominate Animal (natively unintelligent, and not wild, a domestic horse isn't on her 'important' list; as a Summon, it's no big deal if it gets killed even if it was [it'll be fine in a day anyway]; Baelful Shadow Transmutation will keep it in human [or Elf, or Dwarf, or...] form for at least a day after it fails the initial save; Dominate Animal might not be necessary [because summon], but serves if needed).

@JBarca: Darshee and Menja: Darshee would have much the same in terms of questions for Menja as for Heather. The details and mechanics of the gathering of souls for the gods (likely related to what Darshee wants to make happen), 'harvest rates' of Menja and her companions, counts of 'harvesters' (determines expected population in a no-loss environment), population levels of the deceased where she drops them off (expected population - actual population = loss rate, while actual population / loss rate gives an idea of how long the deities will remain a threat if the supply is cut off); confirming the lack of mortal memories in most of the 'harvested' (confirmation of another bit of Darshee's beliefs - if essentially everyone loses all their memories when they die, they're not them anymore, are they?); and so on. Might get some sympathy: "tired of watching people she knew die of old age" would resonate with Darshee. Plus, Darshee is always happy to have a healer around.

@Redfeline: Darshee and Hoya: ... OK, I'm not seeing any obvious hooks.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Just popping in to say I'm still around and will spend some time thinking about and replying to potential character relationships tomorrow. I have an IRL game to run today which means about 0 free time, sorry.
    That is the question-

10. - Top - End - #10

Heather won't be able to get plane shift till next level, and even then plane shift is pretty inaccurate. (Granted, Heather can greater teleport herself)

Most questions Darshee asked, Heather answered eagerly and honestly, the only exception being details on her own death and rising.

One tidbit, Heather's harvest count is unusually low for a succubus.
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-04-12 at 02:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Note that on joining the guild, it'd take a bit for Darshee's nature to become apparent (if not declared... but Darshee mentioning it on joining, and mentioning it for each new member, are different stories), simply because of the normal use of disguise to make other's more comfortable. Her "take ten" disguise check makes for a Perception DC 38, and that's not using magic (and note that half the people in our group have a 50% or better chance of making that DC).

If challenged on why the deception, the answer would be something along the lines of "It's not like I'm concealing who I am, or setting up another to take blame for my actions. Is it wrong of me to want people to get to know me for who I am and what I do rather than making a decision based purely on outward appearances? A little makeup is the only method I've found for doing so. Do you know a better one?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a very different approach to the game as stands. What inspired the idea? I don't see a group of lawful aligned characters being on the run very much, nor a group this powerful running very much.

As far as Rame's father goes, as written he is the sky deity, so any worship toward weather or the sky, a common thing for tribal people, went to him. I wasn't suggesting a direct link that your character worshiped his father as a cleric but I'm having a hard time imagining 'being from a culture that payed homage to an elder sky god' as being something so offensive as to immediately dismiss it out of hand. Also, simply saying no without providing a reason for it or some other thought to replace it isn't very productive toward getting a group dynamic going.
    The idea of run and hide just popped into my head and I figure I would go with it as an argument for a non planar game. I am surprised that you can't picture lawful good strong characters running and hiding. Batman comes to mind, he is lawful to a fault.

@Red: Hoya is another interesting character. I don't see any particular connection being forged initially beyond 'Rame is friendly to everyone who doesn't give him a reason not to be' but perhaps, if you're willing, we could tie Rame's father into her tribe? Rame is far enough removed that I don't expect him to get enough worship but it might be interesting if her people had a name for his father, who is the 'premiere' deity of the sky/weather.
    The bold underlined part I took as permission to reject the idea. So I didn't feel a need to write up more. That said as a general rule I try and limit my pantheons to those published by existing sources. Beyond that my character isn't strongly tied to religion so your suggestion doesn't really fit the character. Lastly your elder sky god is described as being stretched thin and to me that means he is moving into that sleeping and forgotten god phase. I don't see that type of god as having a lot of active worshipers but as something referenced in many books, old ruins, and high level priests. Your welcome to disagree on that point, but avoiding that argument is one of the reasons I tend to stick to published pantheons. That said it is your NPC your welcome to write your father as you like, the catfolk tribes my character comes from are my npcs I will write them as I like.

I worry that this came across as hostile. I can't rewrite it right now but hostility isn't my intent. I am very tired and have been busy organizing and cleaning my house all week which is also why I have been slow to respond and why I am replying only to one post with out reading the rest. I am limited on time currently but I will be able to post more soon, but likely not until this week end at the earliest.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler: Rame
    Show
    As far as interpersonal stuff goes, Rame is a demigod with surprisingly little go in regards to his demigod status. His father's a powerful Weather god, yada yada, but Rame has purposefully stepped away from all that to do his own thing. He's also walked both walks of life, as a wandering traveler that helped people and an assassin... Though the latter could also be considered high stakes contract mercenary work considering he never chose a 'non-combatant' target.

@Jbar: Menja is going to be an interesting. She was and is a literal servant of a God. Despite being cast out, she went right back to start serving again. Rame is the son of a God, a god that's so old he's almost senile with just how wide his mind and awareness has been spread. Both are immortal creatures of divine origin (either created or birthed) with very different views on those creators but strangely similar beliefs in honor. Rame is a bit less merciful and a bit more mercenary, but he's still got a code and keeps to his word. I can see both contention and camaraderie as possibilities. Rame is prone toward the latter as a generally jolly and friendly sort of fellow but that doesn't mean the former isn't possible. Thoughts?
    Menja was created as both a warrior and a sort of emissary, so her nature is neatly divided between conflict and peace. Rame has an Evil subtype, so Menja would certainly be uncomfortable with that, but he's also amiable so she'd hardly see him as a threat to others. His previous line of work would seem initially distasteful to her, but she wouldn't make too much an issue. Her reserved nature would make outright camaraderie a bit of a stretch, but peaceable, mutual respect and politeness seems the most likely relationship, here. Rame's code of ethics is definitely a big point in his favor with Menja. I see no real reason for a negative interaction that would go beyond the normal sort of thing between acquaintances (not agreeing with every part of the person 100% isn't a huge deal for most relationships, after all).

Good combat synergy, though, with Menja calling attention to herself and standing in the front and Rame pouring out the pain from a distance. I like that.

Spoiler: Heather
    Show
    @J.bar I imagine some amount of hostility from Menja. She's a paladin, and Heather's a succubus and even if she's not evil, she sure as hell isn't good either.
    Yeah, that won't go over so well. Turned into one against her will, though... Menja is a touch on the forgiving side, but this might be a tad far.
    We'll see how interactions go, but I imagine Menja won't be a huge fan of Heather, but the Paladin is definitely working toward a larger goal than "Kill individual non-Evil Demons."

Spoiler: Hoya
    Show
    Seems that way. Aside from that, I'm not seeing any obvious hooks, one way or the other.

Spoiler: Darshee
    Show

@JBarca: Darshee and Menja: Darshee would have much the same in terms of questions for Menja as for Heather. The details and mechanics of the gathering of souls for the gods (likely related to what Darshee wants to make happen), 'harvest rates' of Menja and her companions, counts of 'harvesters' (determines expected population in a no-loss environment), population levels of the deceased where she drops them off (expected population - actual population = loss rate, while actual population / loss rate gives an idea of how long the deities will remain a threat if the supply is cut off); confirming the lack of mortal memories in most of the 'harvested' (confirmation of another bit of Darshee's beliefs - if essentially everyone loses all their memories when they die, they're not them anymore, are they?); and so on. Might get some sympathy: "tired of watching people she knew die of old age" would resonate with Darshee. Plus, Darshee is always happy to have a healer around.
    Menja would likely not offer straightforward answers to questions about her previous role, but would definitely argue long and hard about the nature of the afterlife and what happens to souls after mortal death. That said, she will almost 100% support Darshee's end-game. The idea of mortals not dying anymore is very appealing. And the potential long-term nature is fine with her - she's also immortal and has a knack for losing track of time in a major way.

Anyway - I'm mostly indifferent about the setting. The "Planar hub" thing could be neat, but it could also feel a little cheap, with access to everything all the time and the ability to just handwave previous adventures because they were in "another dimension" or something. I'm willing to give it a go, of course.

I have Plane Shift at-will, but it can only move me (and a mount... so if one of you wants to be ridden? ). Extradimensional space works here, of course - y'all can climb into Bags of Holding (do we have any?) or what have you and I can jump us where we need to go. I see Darshee has a Portal Hole, so there's that option.
    That is the question-

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Menja
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarca View Post
    Menja would likely not offer straightforward answers to questions about her previous role, but would definitely argue long and hard about the nature of the afterlife and what happens to souls after mortal death. That said, she will almost 100% support Darshee's end-game. The idea of mortals not dying anymore is very appealing. And the potential long-term nature is fine with her - she's also immortal and has a knack for losing track of time in a major way.
    Note that most (not all) of Darshee's beliefs come from mechanics that were RAW in 3.5; checking the petitioner entry in Pathfinder, at least some of it carried over per the Respective petitioner entries - I will admit I haven't looked into it very deeply, but the memory loss is definitely still present and standard.

Note: Evasiveness on those answers would be used against you in any debate, because the answers to those questions amount to raw data for the topic. If a person who regularly works with the salt levels in the ocean claims the oceans are in a specific age range due to the salinity in the oceans and the rate of change of same, and then does not let others look at the actual data gathered or the methods of gathering said data, that person's conclusions are going to be largely ignored by anyone who's interested in serious science - not because of the specific claim, but because part of science is "peer review" (in layman's terms "letting everyone check your work"). If a conclusion relies on secret data or data of an unknown source, then there's no way to check if personal biases are involved, if the data was gathered in a reliable manner, if the data set is of a statistically significant size, and so on. The conclusion based on that secret data might be accurate, or might not. The conclusion can't be trusted by anyone without the secret data, and will generally be ignored by anyone who understands how science is supposed to function.

Anyway - I'm mostly indifferent about the setting. The "Planar hub" thing could be neat, but it could also feel a little cheap, with access to everything all the time and the ability to just handwave previous adventures because they were in "another dimension" or something. I'm willing to give it a go, of course.

I have Plane Shift at-will, but it can only move me (and a mount... so if one of you wants to be ridden? ). Extradimensional space works here, of course - y'all can climb into Bags of Holding (do we have any?) or what have you and I can jump us where we need to go. I see Darshee has a Portal Hole, so there's that option.
    Darshee has Shadow Walk, which functions both for planar travel and for long-distance travel (it's not precise travel... but she's got Shadow Step for that locally). Any time she's in the party, the portable hole is a moot point. Any time she's not, I'm the one in the DM chair, and it's a simple matter for Chortan to arrange for transport if it's off-plane.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2017-04-14 at 07:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, I know both the rational and logic behind what you're saying. Menja, though - she's been told one thing her whole life and, being an Outsider, isn't big on changing her mind without quite a bit of thought/evidence. Menja is more than a little close-minded.

And you could just leave all your gear with the party when you are DMing...
    That is the question-

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

And you could just leave all your gear with the party when you are DMing...
    But then I can't be sure I'd get it back...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

But then I can't be sure I'd get it back...
    We, uh, promise to be really careful?
    That is the question-

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

The bold underlined part I took as permission to reject the idea. So I didn't feel a need to write up more. That said as a general rule I try and limit my pantheons to those published by existing sources. Beyond that my character isn't strongly tied to religion so your suggestion doesn't really fit the character. Lastly your elder sky god is described as being stretched thin and to me that means he is moving into that sleeping and forgotten god phase. I don't see that type of god as having a lot of active worshipers but as something referenced in many books, old ruins, and high level priests. Your welcome to disagree on that point, but avoiding that argument is one of the reasons I tend to stick to published pantheons. That said it is your NPC your welcome to write your father as you like, the catfolk tribes my character comes from are my npcs I will write them as I like.

I worry that this came across as hostile. I can't rewrite it right now but hostility isn't my intent. I am very tired and have been busy organizing and cleaning my house all week which is also why I have been slow to respond and why I am replying only to one post with out reading the rest. I am limited on time currently but I will be able to post more soon, but likely not until this week end at the earliest.
    1.) Indeed, it is your choice whether your tribe worships the sky or not. However, trying to say tribal societies don't worship the sky doesn't make much sense. If you want to insist that there's no interaction the 'why' is pretty important in a discussion about how our characters interact with each other. More over, not adding anything useful to the discussion and dismissing the only idea that was present out of hand with no reason makes it even harder. This game has already been waiting far longer then it should have to get started and slowing things down only makes it less likely, not more, that it will even be a thing at all.

2.) Not being able to write for an entire week is kind of an issue in a game whose thread was seeking daily posts. This isn't even the hard stuff, this is OOC. Are you really sure you have time to play in this game?

3.) While Rame's father isn't very active he a.) answers prayers as a deity and can grant spells and b.) has hundreds of children that basically do a lot of his job for him, some of whom have actually supplanted him in some areas as the weather gods because of his 'phasing into the forgotten god' bit. You are absolutely right in that he's not a good god but now that I know the reasoning I can suggest something that might fit better. Maybe one of Rame's siblings, a very active storm god, has supplanted his father in the area?

4.) Or hell maybe number 4 is an option? Maybe these two met before they joined the Guild? Perhaps Rame was hired to kill your character but decided against it? Maybe Rame was a spirit in the area at the time that was causing trouble for the tribe? Maybe the tribe wanted Rame to bring rain to end a long drought and your character was the one that eventually convinced him to? The biggest problem I have with both responses thus far is that you haven't added anything yet, only taken away from what's on the board.
    Last edited by M. Arillius; 2017-04-15 at 05:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

At this point this game is endangering of dying off. I'd rather that not happen considering how much I enjoy Rame. This was meant to be a daily posted game so lets see if we can get people replying within a day of this. What we need right now is...

A.) A setting. If you don't like the planar setting, suggest something fully fleshed out and concrete to replace it. If you don't have something like that then please don't knock the idea that's been bandied about for literal weeks for this game. If you do, awesome, we can discuss it. And if you don't reply I'm gonna assume you either don't have a thought on the matter or you don't care.

B.) How your character knows the other characters and how they interact. Did you meet before the Guild? How? Do you have ideas? If so, awesome. Suggest them. If not, then really what has been going on these past few weeks because seriously that was one of the main requirements for creating a character. Even if you don't have an idea for all of the guys in the thread you should have one or two and we all picked this team so we all wanted to RP with these characters.

If I don't see A and B from the majority parties in a day or so I'm probably going to end up dropping out of this and going with my own monster game thread.

20. - Top - End - #20

A I'm good with the planar metropolis.

B Besides Red, I think I have Heather's interactions down, and that she met everyone at the guild. She's smitten with Darshee, Neutral/Friendy with Rame, and is mutually distrusting with Menja.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

A.) A setting. If you don't like the planar setting, suggest something fully fleshed out and concrete to replace it. If you don't have something like that then please don't knock the idea that's been bandied about for literal weeks for this game. If you do, awesome, we can discuss it. And if you don't reply I'm gonna assume you either don't have a thought on the matter or you don't care.
    I suppose the Planar hub thing is fine.

B.) How your character knows the other characters and how they interact. Did you meet before the Guild? How? Do you have ideas? If so, awesome. Suggest them. If not, then really what has been going on these past few weeks because seriously that was one of the main requirements for creating a character. Even if you don't have an idea for all of the guys in the thread you should have one or two and we all picked this team so we all wanted to RP with these characters.
    We've been discussing this constantly in this thread, actually. Almost every post has been on this topic. I'm fairly certain everyone is reaching a good point, here. I know I'm comfortable with the interactions I've established. I feel that once the basics are established, it's almost always better to have the details figured out in-game, when the characters can do the talking instead of the players.

You're throwing around a lot of ultimatums in a rather unfriendly manner there, friend. Anyone is well within their rights to say they aren't thrilled about something without immediately having a full replacement ready.

is mutually distrusting with Menja.
    Heh. What a pleasant way to phrase it.
    Last edited by JBarca; 2017-04-15 at 07:36 PM.
    That is the question-

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: @ M. Ari
    Show
    4.) Or hell maybe number 4 is an option? Maybe these two met before they joined the Guild? Perhaps Rame was hired to kill your character but decided against it?
    You understood I wasn't attacking you, I am checking because point number two seems to be asking why I am here. Similarly I point blank told you why my post was curt, I had IRL stuff to do. If you can honestly say that has never happened to you consider yourself fortunate. Any how that isn't a productive discussion.

Now to your alternate suggestions, point 3 is a no go for the same reasons already given. My tribe worships Gozreh as a god of the sky.

Option 4 is doable if for some reason you wish to have an assassination be the background I am fine with it. My character would obviously react poorly if she were the target, or maybe that is so long in the past at this point that it is water under the bridge. Perhaps one character actually sponsored the other characters entrance into the guild. Alternately I have "The Blood Fang" cult in my backstory maybe Rame was targeting them at the same time Hoya was. We can iron out a very good story via pm if you want.

Option 5 is strangely not listed but would be that they met in the guild. A friend of a friend sort of introduction. This would be the simplest to iron out and would be a huge time saver.

@all Spoiled the top since it was large and only important to one background.

I would still prefer the suggestion of a game on one plane for reasons others have suggested, such as a lack of planar transport spells, it is easy to say well that last quest has nothing to do with the new quest, and being in Sigil seems like we have already largely 'won'.

That said I feel like I am out voted and that is fine by me. I would suggest we are in a very bad portion of Sigil with a very small guild hall in poor condition or perhaps have access to the city but no true location that way we have something to build to.

Point B: Illven and M.Ari have indicated being unhappy with my first round of suggestions. Jack and JB are you comfortable or would you like to discuss more background stuff?

Spoiler: @Illven
    Show

@Red How recently ago did she stop being hostile.

How long have we been together for that matter?
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I didn't remember this question until your last post.

Hoya wouldn't be hostile but would be openly suspicious. Not drinking around her, watching her across the room. But willing to go on quests together, just not willing to let Heather do scouting or crucial tasks with out some one else near Heather. Once a few quests are done together or Hoya notices a lack of normal succubus actions and maybe some good acts. She will be more than willing to accept her and would even likely try and make up for her early transgressions. I assume this all happened early, but really it depends on how long we've been together.

23. - Top - End - #23

@Red I assume we just recently got together ourselves for the most part.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Point B: Illven and M.Ari have indicated being unhappy with my first round of suggestions. Jack and JB are you comfortable or would you like to discuss more background stuff?
    I'm definitely good. I think we pretty much agreed that our characters would get along decently well and have many shared interests/goals (especially short-term goals), but won't have much in common beyond that? No prior meetings, no real friendship or conflict, just two people who can work together well. If you're fine figuring out the working details of that in-game, I'm content.
    That is the question-

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

@Jb I would enjoy finding out this stuff in game, it feels more organic.

@Illven What is the best way to shorten your name I am very lazy? More importantly if we only recently got together I will let you decide would you rather have the awkward mistrust of before quests, the awkward "I can't believe I was such an ass to you", or the awkward "we just aren't going to talk about first impressions any more?" Basically where in the line of relationships would you like to be?

26. - Top - End - #26

@Illven What is the best way to shorten your name I am very lazy? More importantly if we only recently got together I will let you decide would you rather have the awkward mistrust of before quests, the awkward "I can't believe I was such an ass to you", or the awkward "we just aren't going to talk about first impressions any more?" Basically where in the line of relationships would you like to be?
    I haven't really considered it. I'm pretty much good with whatever, if I take offense I'll politely object to that one.

Probably the first one if she can be talked to letting Heather go if the rest of the party agrees with it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I've got an IC up. How's it look?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay good to know.

Happy Easter by the way.

Edit: I tend to use Orange when speaking
    Last edited by redfeline; 2017-04-16 at 08:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

I've got an IC up. How's it look?
    Great! I'll have a post up today once all of my scheduled Easter worship and celebrations are finished. Sounds like a fun start!
    That is the question-

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

If I don't see A and B from the majority parties in a day or so I'm probably going to end up dropping out of this and going with my own monster game thread.
    Is it my imagination, or has M. Arillius not posted since this?