New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Creature] You think, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lemmer View Post
    Symbiotic Mind:
    An ethereal ghost-like creature that bonds with a "host". It lives off his mental stats (penalty to Int, Wis, and/or Cha); in exchange, it provides limited psionic and incarnum powers.
    Feel this is missing something, but can't quite place it. Also, lookit those subtypes, I tell ya

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Symbiotic Mind, Inspirator

Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Incarnum, Incorporeal, Psionic, Symbiont)
    Hit Dice: 4d8+16 HD (34 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: Fly 40 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 17 (+4 deflection, +3 dex), touch 17, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-
    Attack: Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d6)
    Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +7 melee (1d6)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Mind feeding
    Special Qualities: Detect thoughts, ephiphany, immunity to mind-affecting effects, incorporeal traits, naturally psionic, psoulful, share powers, symbiont traits
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +6
    Abilities: Str -, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 18
    Skills: Listen +3, Spot +4
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Astral Plane, Region of Dreams, or Any
    Organization: Solitary (symbiont)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

In the light this creature appears as little more than luminescent dust motes continually twisting within the air, though are particularly thick around the cerebrum of the host they have chosen to bond with. In darkness however its full form can be seen, a beautiful phenomena that resembles the blue-tinted reflection of sunlight underwater, all jeweled, ever-changing patterns. It rises from its host and gradually peters out several meters above, fading away into the ethereal.

Many have said to put have all their mind and soul into something. Such is literally the case for this creature. An inspirator, also known as a symbiotic mind, might possibly have been the spark of life in a being that was to become a being of great genius. Or was once this being's driving focus, incarnum blurring the line of whens. However it came to be, when the psionic energies infused the incarnum it became aware. As all beings possessed of mind and spirit know, this is a naturally unstable, if not entirely natural, combination. Unwilling to await the call of another, to birth within the unborn or melded by the hands of one who had, it sought out another on its own grounds.

From a state of inpotentia to pure living potential, at the moment of its consciousness it was banished from its former existence to a new one where thought had purpose and direction. Most inspirators find themselves within the Astral Plane or Region of Dreams, and are suckled upon the raw energy of thought. Only when a mind draws them, resonates with them in some way, do they cross over to bond.

An inspirator can communicate telepathically with its host, though is otherwise unable to speak.

Combat
    An inspirator is not a combatant in any sense, and if it sense hostility towards itself it is quick to flee. If it is bonded with a host it flares up brightly and feeds to them the thoughts of the aggressor as it leans forward to envelope them in its energy.

Detect Thoughts (Ps): An inspirator may use Detect Thoughts as the spell at will, though is not negatively affected by creatures with high intelligence scores. An inspirator's host may draw upon knowledge of the results at will.

Mind Feeding (Su): An inspirator survives by consuming its host's energy of soul and mind. This deals 1 point of Constitution and 2 Intelligence damage each day the inspirator remains bonded. An inspirator's own intelligence increases by 1 each day (consuming the other point) until it equal 3/4ths the host's healthy total. From this point forward it only deals 1 point of intelligence damage. Ordinarily, the host regains 1 lost point of Constitution and Intelligence each night, just before the inspirator drains a new point, keeping the host at an equilibrium point of -1 to its base Constitution and Intelligence.

If an inspirator is somehow removed from its host, it loses 1 point of intelligence per day until it rebonds with another or its score is lowered to 0 at which point the psionic energy disipates and the incarnum returns to join back with the mass.

Naturally Psionic (Ex): An inspirator gains 1 bonus power point. When an inspirator bonds with its host for the first time it instinctively adjusts its host's mental pathways, allowing it to tap into its inherent psionic power. The host is considered to have gained the Wild Talent feat, retaining the benefits even if the inspirator is killed or is somehow unbonded from its host.

Epiphany (Su): An inspirator's bond inspires its host and enhances memory and creativity. While bonded the host gains a +6 bonus to Craft and Perform checks. As well, the host may manifest the following powers at a manifester level equal to its HD. The save DC's are Charisma-based.

3/day - Call to Mind
    1/day - *Realized Potential

* From Complete Psionic.

Psoulful (Su): An inspirator allows its host to bind a chakra to its crown and gains an essentia pool of 4, granting it the incarnum subtype. The host gains the knowledge to shape the Crystal Helm, Enigma Helm, and Soulspeaker Circlet soulmeld.

Share Powers (Su): At the host’s option, he can have any power (but not any psi-like ability) he manifests on himself also affect his symbiont. The symbiont must be within 5 feet of him at the time of the manifestation to receive the benefit. If the power has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the symbiont if it moves farther than 5 feet away, and will not affect the symbiont again, even if it returns to its owner before the duration expires.
    Additionally, the owner can manifest a power with a target of “You” on his symbiont (as a touch range power) instead of on himself. The owner and symbiont can share powers even if the powers normally do not affect creatures of the symbiont’s type (outsider).
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-07-29 at 08:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] You think, therefore I am

What it's missing... shouldn't it drain Wisdom instead of Intelligence? I mean, the fluff says that it "enhances memory and creativity," which means that it essentially increases your Intelligence while draining your Intelligence score. I can see an Inspirated painter going mad, but going stupid?
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-07-28 at 06:51 PM.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

The mindfeeding power seems a little unclear. If the symbiont drains 2 points of intelligence the first day, the character heals one point over night, and then suffers 2 points of drain the next day, and so on, wouldn't this result in a net loss of more than 1 point of intelligence?

WHen does the draining stop? When the symbiont is at intellegence of 3/4 the hosts original total, or its drained total?

After the host/symbiont stabilizes at 1 point/day, wouldn't the host also be at -1 Con for the day as well as -1 Int? He heals 1 point overnight, then takes a new point of Con and Int drain for the new day.

Otherwise it sounds like something I wouldn't mind having for myself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, +2 to Craft is nothing. A sculptor or playwright could get that, more-or-less consistently, by hiring a helper; hell, he could get that by buying a nice pen (masterwork tools, see).
    I should think that the bonus would be +1 per point of Wisdom drained (or +2 if he regenerates a point per day); that way, the craftsman would be producing some crazy stuff by the end, just before he was completely insane (again, a good plot point).

EDIT: Also, the format of its name follows the format for subspecies, which insinuates that the Inspirator is a specific variation of Symbiotic Mind. Might we be seeing similar marvels, once you've successfully completed the Dozen Dungeon?

EDIT EDIT: Oh hey, I mistook the intent of the Mind-Feeding ability. That makes this monster a great deal more benign, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Inyssius Tor; 2007-07-28 at 07:33 PM. Reason: "dit."
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Shouldn't the subtypes be capitalized?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    What it's missing... shouldn't it drain Wisdom instead of Intelligence? I mean, the fluff says that it "enhances memory and creativity," which means that it essentially increases your Intelligence while draining your Intelligence score. I can see an Inspirated painter going mad, but going stupid?
    It takes of your intelligence, digests some, and converts the other to bursts of creative energy. It may sound odd, but it makes some bit of sense.

The mindfeeding power seems a little unclear. If the symbiont drains 2 points of intelligence the first day, the character heals one point over night, and then suffers 2 points of drain the next day, and so on, wouldn't this result in a net loss of more than 1 point of intelligence?
    Yes, until it reaches its peak intellect. Wasn't quite sure how to work it. Will likely be tweaking.

WHen does the draining stop? When the symbiont is at intellegence of 3/4 the hosts original total, or its drained total?
    Original total. Will elaborate in the text.

EDIT: Also, the format of its name follows the format for subspecies, which insinuates that the Inspirator is a specific variation of Symbiotic Mind. Might we be seeing similar marvels, once you've successfully completed the Dozen Dungeon?
    Its a possibility

Shouldn't the subtypes be capitalized?
    Maybe. Whats it to ya?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Since it's large, it should take a -1 penalty to armor class.
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!