New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can Somebody explain one Punch Man to me?

The major thing about One Punch Man is that Saitama's story arc doesn't appear to be resolvable by defeating a big bad villain. He's already at that point where the entire fight becomes meaningless and so he's bored with life. That is his actual goal: finding a meaning in life. He didn't have it by being an everyday salaryman, but he also wasn't able to find it in just becoming the strongest there is. All of Saitama's growth is dependent on the other characters around him and his interactions with them; whether that be by inspiring the other Class C heroes to actually be the sort of heroes the Class S types are supposed to be, or sacrificing his own ego to protect the reputations that the others had already earned. It's more of a "What do you get the guy who already has everything?" question, just wrapped in a comedic shonen series. For some it works, for others...eh.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    "What do you get the guy who already has everything?"
    A box to put it in?

I think you've got it spot on here. The series is about Saitama and his quest to find something fulfilling. If you can't get interested in that then you won't enjoy the series. I was absorbed in that hunt and so love the show, but it's also fine not to be. I literally cannot see how Game of Thrones is supposed to be easy to get into (although I only haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire because the books are in storage). People enjoy different things, and there's no problem with finding Star Wars to be a poor man's Lensman (I mean, it sort of is, but it's also easier to get into).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    The major thing about One Punch Man is that Saitama's story arc doesn't appear to be resolvable by defeating a big bad villain. He's already at that point where the entire fight becomes meaningless and so he's bored with life. That is his actual goal: finding a meaning in life. He didn't have it by being an everyday salaryman, but he also wasn't able to find it in just becoming the strongest there is. All of Saitama's growth is dependent on the other characters around him and his interactions with them; whether that be by inspiring the other Class C heroes to actually be the sort of heroes the Class S types are supposed to be, or sacrificing his own ego to protect the reputations that the others had already earned. It's more of a "What do you get the guy who already has everything?" question, just wrapped in a comedic shonen series. For some it works, for others...eh.
    I like a description I read somewhere - it's a typical shonen fight manga plot but from the other side. Saitama doesn't need to training to become stronger or learn any Special Techniques, he's got the 'winning fights' part covered. What he needs is to make friends, get a little respect from his fellow heroes, and maybe find a way to break out of his rut.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).