Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1040
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    Sunder catches the look and laughs. There's something different about the laugh. Not as harsh, almost melodic. "Nothin' de the end of civilization to just suck de fun outta everytin' yeah?" Then she glances earthward again. "Nightguard? Oh! The, ah..."

    She really wrinkles her nose here trying to get the word right. "Destyal. No, Th...Ttthestral. Dat's it. Bat ponies. Dose ones wit de big tails ain't hybrids, dey's called qilin. Crystal ponies. I guess some Equestrias ain't got em?"

    Indeed they don't!

    And their crystal ponies are just normal earth ponies. Except more haxagonal and transparent.

    Boring!

    "Oh yeah! Speakin' of hippogyiffs, dere's dis one egghead who got dumped 'ere a few yeahs back. Geneva I tink? She's been doin' teleporta stuff or sometin' to make it so folk can get ovah from de wasteland easy-like. If you start gettin' antsy, you might wanna talk wit her."


    Well.

    That might be useful information, there. Maybe it's possible Down could get home after all? Though folks from the Wasteland being able to come here freely... would that really be a good idea? Though this place IS pretty big. And apparently well guarded. And if everypony isn't having to murder and scrounge just to get by, maybe they wouldn't need to be so violent?

    "Any of dis stuff catch yous eye?"
    Sunder asks, gesturing at the various shops below. Candy. Pastries. Toys. Futuristic directed energy weapons. Furniture. Fresh fruit. All sorts of totally normal things. Aside from the stores it would appear a puppy show is being put on nearby. And in the distance...

    A rather foreboding looking forest looms, surrounded by wooden posts with red silk tags hanging from them. That forest looks... wrong. And will likely bring back all the wrong sorts of memories.

    The uniformed guards continue not doing anything malicious! Sunder doesn't seem concerned about them.

    [Forested Park]

    Oh.

    Oh no.

    Ever seen what happens when you set spider webs on fire? And recall that this whole gully is full of spider webs in varying degrees of decay?

    FWOOOOSH!

    The whole area is lit up in flames, flash-incinerating the webs as the flames race through the whole area with a roar and leaving the rotting forest blackened and smouldering. Spiders begin shrieking in rage and fear as their work goes up in acrid smelling smoke. The force of the blast might have knocked our hero on her butt, too.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    Mythos Stuff Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

  2. - Top - End - #992
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chaotic Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    "Thestrals and qilin."
    Down repeats the names to herself, tactfully failing to comment on Sunder's difficulty speaking some of it.
    "My lacks both, in its present state. Although the thestrals were known to be the soldiers of Princess Luna."
    Shame they all died in the Pink Cloud.
    "What are they like, those two? Do they have stereotypes like the others?"
    Stubborn yet creative earth ponies, academic or snooty unicorns, flighty and athletic pegasii, etc. She's not actively trying to seem like she's just straight up probing for information, so this must just be a habit for her. Knowing your environment and its peoples is always useful.

    Geneva the hippogriff, dropped her from the Wasteland a few years ago. Helping others escape.
    Another mixed bag of emotions to process, added to the pile that Down is getting sick of already. There's entirely too much to deal with already for angst to be getting so gluttonous.
    "This Geneva...did she ever talk about home much?"

    For the last question, she pushes out a little laugh.
    "Your entire city is catching my eye. I've never seen anything like it, not attached to a cloud. This is how the world of old was supposed to look, I think. Before the war, at least. I'm not sure a lot of the...cozier aspects survived that period."
    A weapons store in the midst of all the rest of that, though? That seems odd. And considering their tail...
    "There's no time for it, but I would probably walk through everything if I could. But maybe I should start familiar. Start with what passes for equipment stores around here, move out from there? It would be easi...er..."

    The Everfree has followed her. Of course it has. There it is, the darkness at the edge of the idyllic utopian front. Surely it can't be as awful as it was at home, there's a full civilization right next to it! Thriving!
    Yet, despite the fairly logical thought, there's a sharpness to her breath and a tenseness in her limbs that not even she can ignore.
    Phantoms of old pain, a crawling under her skin.

    "Equipment. Definitely equipment."
    She tries to not choke on the words, to find comfort in the thought of finding the most dangerous implement of destruction she can handle and keeping it close always, but it's there anyway. Something other than the leafy death on the horizon to focus on.
    Something to protect from it.

    Why didn't she put her armor back on?
    Inner Circle
    Shepherd of the Plush Flock
    Avatar: Obsidian Block Feia, by Gulaghar

  3. - Top - End - #993
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    "What are dey like?" Sunder repeats. She has to think about that one for a bit. "Uh... qilin are mostly rock farmers. Patient, contemplate, often not quick to act. Tough, not as strong as earth ponies, though. Magic usually revolves around time." Huh. Her accent doesn't sound quite as thick. There's almost a refined air to it? Because she's thinking less of just poines in general and more of her ponies in particular. "Thestrals can shape darkness and light and sound the way pegasi shape weather. Usually loners, dark and brooding sort of ponies. Creative, though, with a strong leaning toward artistry."

    There's a slight smile there for a moment, but then her left ear twitches and she seems to remember herself. Hmm... There's a little gold clasp on that ear, too. She didn't have that when Down met her the first time.

    "Oh, uh, Geneva? I don't know her personally or nothin'," Sunder says, falling back into her accent. "I just know OF her. De folks at Inari's Temple know her. And dey's some pretty good friends of mine, I'd say. Dey helped me figya out some... uh... stuff."

    Yes.

    Stuff.

    Very helpful of them.

    "Heh, yeah, dere ain't nothin' quite like Inside. And you ain't seen half of it yet. Imma have to take you up to the Skyway once we's done here,"
    Sunder laughs as she begins descending toward one of the more adventure-y leaning shops down below. The fact that the building looks just as cheerful and innocent as all the others despite ostensibly being full of instruments of unspeakable destruction is a bit incongruousness.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2017-11-09 at 06:17 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    Mythos Stuff Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

  4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Market Street]

    Corvus raises an eyebrow, but looks back to the lady behind the counter and nods.
    "That'll be it, then." He produces a small bag from a hidden pocket inside his gi, and pulls out several silver coins, more than enough to cover the cost. These he hands over to the clerk, and is rewarded with a small box filled with the buns. He looks back to Willa and smiles.

    "Hmmmm, should we eat these here, or is there a quieter spot that might be better suited?"
    [Market Street]

    "We can find a nice park or something. Benches or some such." Right. Sitting. That's a thing that normal humanoids do.
    Willa needs to catch up on these things.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  5. - Top - End - #995
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Market Street -> Maple Park]

    "Sounds like a plan," Corvus says, smiling in a playful manner. He leads the way out of the shop, and down the street. He seems to remember having seen a park here somewhere before, one with a nice tall tree and benches and such. Of course, this also gives Willa a chance to ogle his backside without him noticing. It takes a few solid minutes of walking before they find a park with some rather tall trees, shading some benches. Corvus gestures for her to sit, then plops down himself and opens the box with the their buns in it, offering first pick to Willa. There's cinnamon, and grape and berry filled buns, along with peach and chocolate custard. "Ladies first," he says, winking at her.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2017-11-10 at 04:34 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

  6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Riftline]

    "What does-?" Changeling looks skeptical. She wants to say something snarky, then changes her mind, closes her eyes and makes that stoic calculating face again. "...alright, what if I told you I was secretly made out of rice paper or something?"

    "Where is this coming from? You're tougher than any human we know!"

    "Not really. I just work out a lot. Fate doesn't bend over backwards to protect me like it does for you."

    "What do-? ...oh."

    Changeling is a little uncomfortable being the one to give the explanations, but Leslie's sheepish expression says that she might not be up to it at the moment. "Where we come from, monsters can't lose a fight and wake up in a hospital after some life-saving transplant or whatever. If we get hit with some doom attack, it's just," she snaps her fingers, "*poof.* The only way we ever come back from it is if we're bound to a human."
    Natalie, Tsetsiliya, Leolin, Four.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

  7. - Top - End - #997
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Forested Park

    Liaid climbs to her feet, a small smile on her face, then bounds down the canyon, her hands leaping in flames again. I asked you lot to let me be. She continues down the canyon, not noticing her cloak is afire.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "Don't want to let you down,
    But I am, hell bound..."


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, It's The Little Things

  8. - Top - End - #998
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chaotic Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    Paranoia.
    It comes in many flavors and many causes.
    Someone could be paranoid that the fellow with glinting metal in his hand is holding a knife, perhaps because they've seen too many dark news stories. They could fear the shadows around them as demons waiting for their chance to strike, simply because a part of their mind is bent wrong and they can't see anything else.
    They could suspect every flaw in character and deviation from habit as evidence that those they speak to are malicious doppelgangers because they have spent days in the company of just such creatures, doubting their own survival more with every passing hour.
    Paranoia can be foolishness, or it can be insanity. Sometimes though, it is a necessity.

    Down isn't an expert on Sunder, to be fair, but there are some fairly basic points of fact that can be nailed down about her, within minutes of interaction. The accent is one of the more glaring ones.
    Something isn't right.

    Her thoughts are briefly turned back towards their uniformed stalkers, trying to be subtle but very clearly still within reachable distance. The oddities of the city itself.
    The enormous forest of darkness just down the road, that no one seems even slightly concerned about. Instead they're all just happily going about their utopian little hodgepodge lives.
    Too idyllic.
    "Hm."
    A careful tension weaves itself into her body, not enough to be terribly obvious, but enough to get her moving in a hurry if she needs it.
    "Rock farming always seemed weird to me, but I guess if one can mess with time it might make more sense. The thestrals sound like they're living up to the old tales of Princess Luna."

    She keeps talking normally enough, although she slows her pace every so slightly to be a foot or so further back from Sunder as they descend.
    "If you don't know Geneva that well, that's fine. I suppose I can always just ask her myself, couldn't I? Or that temple?"
    Who is Inari?
    "I don't know anything about any of these places yet, so I'll have to take your word for it on how cool they are. The 'Skyway' sounds like it has promise, at least."
    Maybe it's some sort of fantastic sky transit system that will blow her mind. Maybe it's a enclosed room full of ravenous monsters and she'll never see the light of day again.
    It's a mystery.
    Inner Circle
    Shepherd of the Plush Flock
    Avatar: Obsidian Block Feia, by Gulaghar

  9. - Top - End - #999
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    Now, to be fair, 'The Skyway' would be a really weird name for an enclosed room full of ravenous monsters.

    And this particular equipment shop? Well, Sunder shoves the door open with a hoof and there's a little jingle as it bumps into a bell affixed above the threshold. The inside is clean, quaint, adorably rustic, and packed to the gills with adventuring equipment ranging from the archaic to the cutting edge of technology. We're talking swords filling up a barrel along with neutron rifles and advanced laser weapons. Armor ranging from completely mundane kevlar to heavily enchanted brass to an exoskeleton that could probably take on a hellhound without any great difficulty.

    There only appears to be one clerk in the store, an earth pony stallion with a dusky brown coat who's presently having a chat with... what the hell IS that thing, anyway? Some tall, lanky creature that looks like someone crossed a Minotaur with a baboon. From the pitch of its voice, it SOUNDS female. She and the clerk are presently examining a collection of various types of rope.

    Sunder doesn't seem at all bothered by the strange creature's presence, heading over to a second of the shop where a large banner proclaims 'Two for one sale on all directed energy weapons!' Smaller letters below explain that purchasing one directed energy weapon allows you to pick a second of equal or lesser value at no charge.

    "I figured ya might need a new lasah or sometin'. I guess ya made one of 'em into a bomb?" Sunder says, showing no real sign of being a horrible monster wearing pony flesh. But then again, that's exactly how a horrible monster wearing pony flesh would act. Of course... considering that Sunder had Down completely at her mercy and chose to make lunch instead of eating Down makes it somewhat unlikely that she's a skinwalker. Though that doesn't preclude the possibility that she might be something else pretending to be Sunder. "I said dis place is peaceful and it is. Sometimes. But sometimes some messed up stuff happens and you gotta be good foh it, y'know?"

    A dark look falls across Sunder's face as she glances back at Down. Haunted, almost. "Dat's why I try stickin' close to home. Mom's no fightah. Most of the ponies here ain't." Her expression brightens considerable. "Dat's why ya want a few ponies who know a bit about buckin' teeth in."

    [Forested Park]

    She's on fire!

    Maybe that's good?

    I've heard tell that giant spiders can't catch you if you're on fire.

    At the end of the gully our hero will discover something... well... quite out of sorts for the forest.

    A small circus tent.

    With a popcorn machine set up next to it, happily churning out popcorn covered in artificial butter.

    Discordant carnival music is wafting out of the small structure. Looks like she found the place...

    [Riftline]

    "Oh..." Geneva replies, her expression falling. "So... where you come from the line between a living monster and a dead one is dangerously thin?"

    That's... weird.

    She has always gotten the impression that pokemon are more resilient to harm than the average animal. The sorts of attacks they can sustain and survive are pretty harsh. Usually they just faint and then-

    Oh. Maybe that's it.

    "So pokemon don't faint when they've sustained too much damage?" Geneva asks. "They just... discoporeate?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    Mythos Stuff Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

  10. - Top - End - #1000
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    Liadi begins striding towards the tent then stops, setting a small trail of clear vial filled with a dark liquid around the perimeter. The green and black flames on her cloak are either unnoticed, or thy just aren't bothering her... Although her cloak seems to not be very well off. She steps (barely) into the tent, a long slender silver blades in each hand, both dancing with flames Come out, come out wherever you are. Her demeanor has changed, her usually face now darker... somewhat more... feral. The blades are revolving around her hands, rather quickly, and she scans the circus, looking for any hint of the ogre.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "Don't want to let you down,
    But I am, hell bound..."


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, It's The Little Things

  11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chaotic Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]


    More strange creatures interacting with locals. This part isn't necessarily odd itself, the surface of the wasteland had a few unexpected oddities.
    But in the flow of situational distrust, Down has to try to not leer suspiciously at the other creature.

    "I figured the place had to have some idea of conflict, otherwise the store wouldn't exist."
    At least Sunder is acknowledging that part up front. Although it doesn't appear to be outwardly acknowledged by anyone else. The air is still too bubbly.
    There's a faint freeze to her movements as the tension clenches, precisely when Sunder says the word "Mom's".

    You better run, boss.

    "To keep a place this big peaceful, you must have a lot of 'ponies who know a bit about buckin' teeth in'."

    She moves around the store carefully enough, sticking close to the walls where she can, close to displays where she can't.

    The stock is fascinating, on its own level. It is an enormously broad selection, that quite frankly makes no sense whatsoever. Perhaps around here they make a sport out of old weaponry? She thinks she recalls the games some colts would play with fake swords and such, smacking each other in the faces and laughing.
    An olden days tourney thing, perhaps, for adults.

    "I'm not sure how I can understand the variety of options here."
    But then, she doesn't really have to. Just has to look at the lasers, for her armor, perhaps see if there's any hoof-mounted weaponry. After that tainting, one of her built-in powerhooves is probably going to shot.
    Although all of this begs the question...
    "What passes for currency in this city?"
    Inner Circle
    Shepherd of the Plush Flock
    Avatar: Obsidian Block Feia, by Gulaghar

  12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Market Street -> Maple Park]

    "Sounds like a plan," Corvus says, smiling in a playful manner. He leads the way out of the shop, and down the street. He seems to remember having seen a park here somewhere before, one with a nice tall tree and benches and such. Of course, this also gives Willa a chance to ogle his backside without him noticing. It takes a few solid minutes of walking before they find a park with some rather tall trees, shading some benches. Corvus gestures for her to sit, then plops down himself and opens the box with the their buns in it, offering first pick to Willa. There's cinnamon, and grape and berry filled buns, along with peach and chocolate custard. "Ladies first," he says, winking at her.
    [Maple Park]

    Willa smiles, looking down at the box. You'd think that this would be a difficult choice, but it's really not.
    Cinnamon is obviously superior. Besides, cats don't eat fruit. "Thank you." she says, slooowly plucking her bun from the box before eating it.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Riftline]

    "Pretty much, yeah."

    "Well there's more to it than that, obviously," Leslie jumps in, all about the technical details Changeling tends to disregard. "When a regular monster in the wild takes such-and-such amount of damage, then right, they disintegrate and their dust just settles where they stood, usually. But when a monster with a human trainer faints, they return to whichever vessel they're bound to instead of just disintegrating. There are a couple different theories about why it works that way, but it follows some pretty consistent rules." She's about to go on, but realizes she may have already passed the point where it made sense to do so. "...I should note, Changeling does have a vessel to go back to, but one of those rules is that the trainer himself has to be around."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2017-11-10 at 06:56 PM.
    Natalie, Tsetsiliya, Leolin, Four.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

  14. - Top - End - #1004
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    Because obviously anyone with a mom must be referring to a horrible amorphous shape-shifting flesh thing as opposed to a completely normal and not at all sinister mother. In Sunder's case, we're talking about a totally normal earth pony who runs a spa. Down doesn't know that, of course.

    "Yeah, dey's a couple," Sunder replies conversationally as she picks up a mace to examine. She pokes at a button on the side, causing a bunch of rather unfriendly looking spikes to pop out of the thing. "Yesh. Hate to be on the business end of dis..." she stuffs the tool of unfriendliness back into the barrel. "Inside's got tons of adventa-type folks. Some tough, some not. Dey usually jump at de chance to beat up monstahs. Sides dem, dey's Intahsection. Police folks. And Team Nightmære, who helped you out wit dat meat heap."

    Nopony likes meat heaps.

    They're just the wurst.

    At Down's first question, Sunder does some pondering! "Well... what do ye need? Stoppin' powah? Range? Penetaytion? Dey's gotta have sometin'." She eyes a number of the fancy looking energy weapons on the rack in front of her. "Honestly I don't know much about dis stuff. Mostly I just smack a hoof inta beasties 'n call it good." Down may recall that Sunder has a rather unique talent. Namely, she can use pegasus cloud-busting magic on things that are most certainly not clouds.

    And to the second question! "Hah! If it counts as money to somepony, it's money in dis town," she laughs. "Don't tink about it too much."

    [Riftline]

    Geneva ponders that for a moment. It doesn't take long for her to figure out where the problems lies. "And the person she's bound to is your father," she reasons. "So if she gets beaten up too much then 'poof'," she mimics the little poofing motion with her hands. "Is there a way to reassign who a pokemon is bound to? Or, no, bad question. Of course there's a way to do that. But it's typically illegal without the consent of the trainer who owns the pokemon in question. A procedure like that would require the expertise of some pretty shady people. But as far as I know there isn't anyone like that operating in-"

    "PREPARE FOR TROUBLE!" yells a pair of voices from the back of the train.

    Geneva whirls around, expecting conflict, only to find a pair of kids with hand held video games having a face-off. She heaves a sigh of relief.

    [Forested Park]

    There's isn't a circus inside. No, the tent is pretty small. Large enough to stand up in, sure, but no more then ten feet across or so. It's just decorated with carnival colors.

    Inside the tent, our hero will discover a central pole holding the tent up, a cotton candy machine, a booth that contains some rigged carnival game, a large brass cage with a lion in it, a wooden stool, and a leather whip coiled up on TOP of the stool.

    The creepy, distorted carnival music continues to play. It's source isn't readily apparent.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    Mythos Stuff Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

  15. - Top - End - #1005
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Forested Park

    Liadi inches forward, a (possibly) familiar dust beaten fedora on her head. She looks around, trying to find the source of the music, not heading directly for the whip, working the room's perimeter Of he isn't here that will be... annoying to say the least... Could someone cut that music off? She looks around, face annoyed.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "Don't want to let you down,
    But I am, hell bound..."


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, It's The Little Things

  16. - Top - End - #1006
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    Corvus smiles with satisfaction as he watches Willa select her bun, and nods, selecting a chocolate one for himself, before placing the box to his side on the bench.

    "You're welcome. I'm glad I can share not just the buns, but the day with you," He says, as he watches her take a bite. The cinnamon bun is excellent; still slightly warm and a bit gooey in all the right places. Perhaps not quite as good as the ones her folks make, but then, one's opinion about such things always tends to be biased anyways.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

  17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    Willa smiles, and promptly devours the pastry. The park is quiet; very little roams around here at the moment besides joggers and animals.
    "So, what did you want to see next? I'm sure we could find somewhere to kill a few hours..." she says, thinking about the parks, the movies, the amusement parks, and the Mall. All very reasonable places to kill a day. Maybe they'll end with Trog's, get a big meal.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  18. - Top - End - #1008
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    Corvus devours his own bun in about three bites, though he seems to savor each one, and offers the box back to Willa as soon as she's finished hers.

    "These are very good! It pays to follow your nose!" He grins at her, then considers her question while giving her a chance to select another bun. "Hmmm, I am not sure. Do you have any suggestions? You said you lived here, once. What places did you enjoy going to?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

  19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    "Well, if you want I can give you the tour." she says with a smile. "It might take me all day, but I can show you the place as best as I can." she says, selecting another bun at random.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dr.Gunsforhands's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Riftline]

    "Well, there's probably some arcane ritual or something..."

    "Not that I'd want that anyway," Changeling quickly adds. "I don't want to be bound to anyone, even my sister. At least, not like that."

    The pair look back at the VG kids, then knowingly at each other. "Make it double," Leslie continues. Changeling makes a *pfft* sound and sticks out her tongue in reply. "Man, remember when we used to play Team Rocket? I can still remember the whole oath. I guess that kind of translated-slash-echoed here too?"

    "Or some kid just said three words that sound cool together."

    "Yeah, probably that."

    The train makes an inexplicable transition to an underground subway system before finally pulling into Trog Station. A mural representing the original proprietor's winking face looms overhead between neon lights that don't provide nearly enough illumination. Near the East wall, a googly-eyed pear-shaped man sits at a ticket booth that looks more like a child's lemonade stand. Everyone ignores him.
    Natalie, Tsetsiliya, Leolin, Four.
    Avatar by the Ninja Chocobo.

  21. - Top - End - #1011
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    Corvus chuckles, selecting another bun of his own. Willa has managed to come up with the other chocolate bun.

    "Well, that will definitely kill a few hours, as you put it, so sure, why not? There seems to be much more to this city than meets the eye, and I'd like to see as much of it as you can show me." He smiles, that gentle, warm smile once more, before devouring the roll he just selected much like the last one.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

  22. - Top - End - #1012
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Shadowcaller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Avatar by Gulaghar

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [All Across Town]

    It is night.
    A number of eye-shaped orbs of dark green energy are flying all over Inside, almost invisible in the dark. They are seemingly just looking around though, moving away as soon as anyone gets too close to them.

    Connected to it all is a figure standing in a run-down building in the red-zone, watching multiple screens of what the eyes see as they scout out the town. The Inside nightlife can be seen and heard as the eyes seem to be checking out night clubs and other popular locations for Insides night denizens, specifically. Confused bouncers and guards failing to stop the eyes as they simply fly through walls and people without harm.

    Inside have gained some interest.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-11-11 at 02:53 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #1013
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chaotic Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    The spiked mace is watched warily for a moment.
    Not really because it's an intimidating weapon (it's certainly an odd one), but because Sunder is holding it at all.

    "Right...that team that helped me. I should thank them."
    Them, not Red. Red was just another monster who clearly the team had to off, when Down lost consciousness.

    There's a slightly uncomfortable shudder before she turns her attention towards some weapons she hopes she can work into being compatible with her armor.
    "Most of the ranged weaponry employed by the Enclave don't operate under the usual classifications ballistics go by. There's not a lot of need for deep penetration, when the beam is just going to melt whatever it hits."
    If she knew more about the specifics of the weapons themselves, she could probably be a little more precise with what she wanted...but she mostly just knows how to service them and apparently turn them into explosives. Working knowledge, not production knowledge.
    "Raw energy output and efficiency, should be all that I need to worry about. Enough to dust what I wanted dusted but not going to run me dry in a couple shots."

    It's likely none of this is going to be precisely what she's used to. So hopefully it's labelled nicely.

    "Hrm. If it didn't get tainted or lost, I probably still have a some bits and emergency caps in the armor's storage."
    Which...is not here with her. Still.
    She grimaces and resists the urge to plant her hoof in her face.
    "Damn it."

    There goes that plan of buying a few things off this shop pony for a little experiment. But still, surrounded by weapons of every variety...it's better here than anywhere else.
    The weapons most definitely aren't armed as they are, but presumably the shop sells ammo somewhere nearby. Just have to identify a couple of things she can slam together in a hurry...
    "Hey Sunder...how long was I out?"
    Inner Circle
    Shepherd of the Plush Flock
    Avatar: Obsidian Block Feia, by Gulaghar

  24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Maple Park]

    Corvus chuckles, selecting another bun of his own. Willa has managed to come up with the other chocolate bun.

    "Well, that will definitely kill a few hours, as you put it, so sure, why not? There seems to be much more to this city than meets the eye, and I'd like to see as much of it as you can show me." He smiles, that gentle, warm smile once more, before devouring the roll he just selected much like the last one.
    [Maple Park]

    After spending a few minutes devouring pastries, Willa will show Corvus around the city.

    Over to a district down the block with music clubs. Willa clearly has no idea how to dance (or at least, not like this) but she goes anyway. She likes guitars, but actually isn't a huge fan of very loud music. It will also be obvious that she's slightly claustrophobic, avoiding the largest crowds.
    A hot dog stand on the corner. Not something Willa knows well, she's just hungry.
    A bedding store. Willa seems to take deliberate pleasure in laying down on the beds.
    A museum on the other side of town, with an enormous collection of arms and armor. Willa spends a strangely long time examining cavalry armor for mounts, and knows far more than one would expect about them. As well as handguns.
    A small bookstore, tucked into an alley doorway. Willa buys a western, despite the owner's recommendation of the romance shelf.

    "So, it's getting late. There's a famous bar down the road. You want to get a room, with or without a meal?" she offers as they leave, completely forgetting that she has a time limit.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  25. - Top - End - #1015
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Forested Park]

    The source of the music remains as cryptic as before, despite the searching. The lion, a haggard, emaciated looking beast, briefly lifts his head to look at our hero before laying down again.

    Otherwise, nothing in the tent changes. Maybe a solution is already in here?

    [Riftline]

    "I actually ran into a pair of criminal pokemon trainers suspiciously similar to that duo a few years ago," Geneva laughs. "They were exactly as incompetent as you might expect. Always remember that the Nexus draws from all possible realities. And... probably a few impossible ones, too."

    That would certainly explain a few of the... people... here.

    Geneva disembarks and begins heading for a flight of stairs that leads up to a subway access near the famous tavern. She passes by a giant cricket person playing a forlorn song on his wings. There she'll pause for a moment, before tossing a few coins into the basket next to him and offering a few encouraging words. Then it'll be up to the tavern!

    "I need to pick up Junior from school, so I'll be back in a little while, okay?"

    And then...!

    She heads into Trog's!

    ...there's a school in Trog's?

    [Carousel Court]

    "Well, dey's da ones dat dumped ya at my place,"
    Sunder replies conversationally.

    Which... Is mostly true.

    They brought her back to a clinic in Midnight Hold where she was patched up. Sunder happened to be visiting some wounded soldiers there and recognized Down immediately. Once Down was well enough to be moved safely, Sunder had her brought to her house so she could wake up somewhere a bit less foreign. Thankfully the ear-clasp Gilded sold her is still working great. Otherwise Down may have been slightly more distressed about the huge alicorn looming over her. That would have been an awkward situation. Sure, Sunder plans on letting Down know all the nonsense she's been through since they last met. But... she's not in any hurry to do so.

    "How long? 'bout a day," Sunder replies.

    That would certainly explain why her mouth felt like cotton.

    "Ya want me to pop back home and snag it for ya?" Sunder asks
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    Mythos Stuff Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

  26. - Top - End - #1016
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    No where out there <-->

    Default Forested Park

    Liadi walks to the middle of the room planning on picking up the whip, at the same time as a piece of jerky appears in her hands. It isn't much, but it should help you a bit. To anyone besides the lions her speech would seem a series of short growls and purrs. She's watching the lion, a small, sad smile on her face Your all skin and bones.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH Feel free to use it, I would love to hear how it went!

    Renegade Hippie DM in the Playground

    Extended Sig


    "Don't want to let you down,
    But I am, hell bound..."


    Prestige Class Contest 3.X, It's The Little Things

  27. - Top - End - #1017
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In my head
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    Corvus seems to savor every pastry he devours, and truly seems to be enjoying himself during the tour. He doesn't really seem to know how to dance in the clubs, either, but he moves with a sinuous grace nonetheless and doesn't seem to care whether people like his dancing or not. Willa will discover that he's a pretty good drummer, but like her, he prefers more quiet music. He really likes bongos and other traditional hand drums. He'll take note of her claustrophobia; he doesn't seem to prefer crowds himself, though he seems less ill at ease than she probably feels.

    He'll rave about the hot dog stand, despite his previous statement of preferring fresher meat. Something about the bun and toppings playing with the flavor of the sausage seems to resonate with him, despite his preference, though by the time they reach the bedding store, he'll have subsided about it. He'll seem equally enthralled by the bedding; it sounds like he's more used to sleeping outdoors, in sometimes less than comfortable positions.

    The museum will hold his interest for awhile. He'll find Willa's interest and knowledge of cavalry armor interesting, and ask a few questions of his own. When they reach the handguns, he'll seem to recognize both the muzzleloading weapons, and some of the revolvers, though he initially calls them by another name: firewands and plasma tongue repeaters. Once he learns that they fire small pieces of metal, he'll be even more interested; apparently, the same weapons where ever he's from use something called 'firedust', which creates a long tongue of flame that does the damage at range, rather than bullets. He seems rather knowledgeable about swords, and Willa will learn that's because he was a martial arts instructor where he came from. She's probably guessed he was some sort of martial artist before now, considering what he's been wearing, but this just cements it.

    The bookstore will hold his interest as well, and her selection of a western puzzles him, since he's unfamiliar with the genre. He buys a different book than she does, though, the first few paragraphs being interesting enough to enthrall his interest. He does look over the owner's selection of romance novels, more to be polite than anything else, but they don't seem to hold his interest in the same way. The book is quickly stowed in an inner pocket in his gi as they leave, and he smiles down at her.

    "I think that would be wonderful, a perfect end to a lovely day. A meal wouldn't go amiss, either." He grins. "You must be hungry, too, right?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

  28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    LordDeathkeeper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Definitely lost
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Maple Park]

    Willa nods, having only noticed perhaps half of these things about him, for she is not so observant as he. Though she does certainly appreciate some of his features that she's spied.
    "Yes, I could certainly go for a meal. It's that way, down the block." she points to him, ears giving a flick as well, as she leads him on...
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

    [Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

  29. - Top - End - #1019
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Chaotic Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]
    A pause.
    Pop back home for her armor/funds? And leave her alone?

    Down glances towards the shopkeeper and patron again.
    Somewhat alone?
    Sunder is probably a fairly decent flier, but unless she's secretly a rainboomer it would be a good several minute trip.
    A lot can be done in several minutes of time.

    This thought puts something vaguely akin to a genuine smile on her face, even if it's foundation is probably less than entirely wholesome.
    "Actually, that would be fantastic, if it would be no trouble. I'll probably know what I want by the time you get back."
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2017-11-13 at 09:25 AM.
    Inner Circle
    Shepherd of the Plush Flock
    Avatar: Obsidian Block Feia, by Gulaghar

  30. - Top - End - #1020
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Rebonack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The King's Grave

    Default Re: Inside 65: A Very Busy Intersection

    [Carousel Court]

    Sunder has never been the fastest flier. Sure, all pegasi can move pretty quick when they want to, but there's a world of difference between 'fast' and 'can easily break the sound barrier'. She smiles back at Down. "Yeah, I'll do dat. Back in a bit!"

    Then?

    She'll turn and trot out the door.

    There's a good chance several minutes will be wasted on her trying to figure out how to get into the storage compartment of the armor. And that's aside from just the travel time. She doesn't look like she's in any hurry.

    And so?

    Down is alone.

    Save for the clerk and.... whatever that other thing is.

    [Forested Park]


    "Yeah, tell me about it," the lion replies in completely understandable speech.

    ...what.

    Okay, clearly there's something weird going on here.

    Or... well. The whole situation is weird. But it just got weirder.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    Mythos Stuff Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •