New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Building a Drider Character

Player one, I hope you have fun in your game, whatever you chose. Jsketchy, you just seam provocative. You go out of your way to say I'm wrong, then recommend the exact same thing I did. He's 5HD and LA+1. Certainly not worth the time it takes to type this...but WTF ? Player one is just looking for a fair way to play his character concept, and recommendations on how to do that. I made one, you made almost the exact same one. He and his DM pick what they like. They play and have fun, no need to provoke others over it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jsketchy View Post
    The characters mind is magically altered to become chaotic and evil.
    Fair enough, but of all the changes that Player One wants, waiving that to play his concept in the first place (which requires Lawful Evil alignment) seems like the least of his worries.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Legand View Post
    Jsketchy, you just seam provocative. You go out of your way to say I'm wrong, then recommend the exact same thing I did.

I made one, you made almost the exact same one. He and his DM pick what they like. They play and have fun, no need to provoke others over it.
    I never said you were wrong. I never even said I disagreed with you. If anything, the fact that both of us arrived at the same basic solution should tell you that I understand where you're coming from. I was simply correcting a few minor discrepancies in your post (and making one counterpoint about the strength of the Hit Dice). Like I said in my post, I was being pedantic.

And to be fair, my post is more thorough about what benefits they would receive at each level. I even explained how I arrived at my solution.
    Goblin in the Playground

Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

cool Re: Building a Drider Character

I noticed a gap in Drider descriptions in the original Drow compendium and wrote the original article addressing using Driders as player characters in an article in Dragon Magazine Issue #128, "Entering the Drider's Web" in 1987, when I was 16 years old.

I'd have to dig out my old copy to double check, but I think they copied it verbatim and added a bit more when they updated all the monster compendiums.

I just searched at random to see if my first published writing was still on the web, it warmed the heart to see it was still out there somewhere!!

Now if they would just make it possible in ONE of the video games....

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Player_One View Post
    I'm trying to build a drider character but I'm having trouble working out the LA such a character would have. So far I've found only two examples of how to make a drider. One is the savage species monster as class progression, and the other is this template.

Does anyone know of any direct drider as PC race statistics? Or can anyone help me make heads or tails of how to build this character?
    Imho the template you linked indirectly describes how you have to handle it.

1. Depending on your new size (+1 size step) the template sets a minimum HD you must have.
    2. Until you have enough HD to meet the minimum, temporary (R)HD is added to meet the difference.
    3. Those temporary (R)HD affect the rate your gain new levels until you meet the minimum HD requirement.

Keep the ECL rules for determining the xp you need for the next level in mind: (ECL -1) * 1000

It is like an inbuilt buy-off system.
    E.g. You play an elf (medium) drider (large):
    - min. HD has to be 6
    - until you have reached 6HD due to other means (class lvl + normal RHD), you get the difference as temporary (R)HD.
    - this means that for each lvlUp from 1 till 6 you pay (6ecl -1)*1000=5000xp.
    - Starting at lvl 7, the xp needed for each lvlUp starts to follow the normal progression (7ecl -1)*1000= 6000xp (8th lvl 7000xp; 9th lvl 8000 xp...)

Note: Notice that I am talking about the XP needed for the next lvl and not total xp! I hope you get the difference I try to picture here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DriderAuthor View Post
    Now if they would just make it possible in ONE of the video games....
    Neverwinter Nights enhanced edition. Get the PRC (just Google nwn prc) and they let you play a drider character.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: is the Drider as undead as this thread?
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)