New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default What kind of mental illness could this be?

NB! Important! I'm not asking a medical advice. I'm not asking for a diagnosis. I'm asking for an educated guess, that is all.

My girlfriend's best friend's mother is a normal woman in her 60s. She's a widow, a mother of one and she has had ups and downs in her life like everyone else. She's a smart and caring person.

However, she "kills" her daughter and my gf from embarrassment in public places. At any given moment, this older lady asks men the following questions:
    "Do you find me beautiful?"
    "Would you like to date me?"
    "I'm single, you know? Right? Huh?"

Fortunately, basically all men understand that this is not normal and, in most cases, they politely avoid her. She does not listen when people (i.e. her daughter) try to talk sense to her. She just pretends not to hear. The aforementioned behavior is very constant and consistent. Other than this, she's normal.

In an attempt to comfort my gf, bring some order into chaos and help them to understand what could POSSIBLY cause this behavior, I would like you to voice your opinion: what could this be?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: What kind of mental illness could this be?

This is not a mental illness.

It might be desperate, but being desperate is not a mental illness.

Sorry to disappoint.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably some kind of exhibitionist disorder, that doesn't really qualify as 'full blown' mental illness.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

How old are the men she's propositioning? If they're around her age then I'd say it could be just loneliness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

If this is coupled with other behavior, it could be Narcissistic Personality Disorder, but even I think that's a stretch. Sounds like she is just rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How old are the men she's propositioning? If they're around her age then I'd say it could be just loneliness.
    Usually 20 to 40 years younger than her.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I really don't see this as any kind of mental illness at all - it's a behavioural quirk.

A few thoughts:

1) She is from a very different generation than the sort you and I are from and the behaviours she grew up with reflect that. Where as we would see something like this as possibly bordering on sexual harassment, she probably sees it as no more than playful teasing/being mischievous.

2) It could be loneliness as others have suggested. Loneliness can be a side effect of mental ill health but in and of itself, it isn't.

3) She could just enjoy winding her daughter up in front of others. Simple as that.

My guess would be 3.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The behavior itself without more detailed information about how it is done and how frequently, etc. cannot be determined to be the result of mental illness or not. My immediate guess would be joking and teasing her daughter coupled with a lack of understanding about how unpleasant this is for her.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Is "completely tactless" a mental illness? Nah, she's just not getting that she has no nuance.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Look, I'm not qualified to comment beyond sharing weird anecdotes. But one guy out there loved to exasperate everyone around him with puns and it turned out to be a symptom of brain cancer.

Is this a symptom of something similar? Heck if I know. Reminds me of an episode of House where an old woman started flirting with younger men because she was reaching late-stage syphilis. If you're really concerned - and maybe if this started suddenly and is in fact out of character for this woman - help your friend get her mother to a doctor. I am not in any position to offer any other advice.
    You may think of me as:
    Struggling amateur author #3284728

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    Look, I'm not qualified to comment beyond sharing weird anecdotes. But one guy out there loved to exasperate everyone around him with puns and it turned out to be a symptom of brain cancer.
    Ok. You need to explain how that works because that sounds like utter nonsense to me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, everyone, for the comments. After reading your posts, I have changed my mind. She's not nuts, she's just behaving poorly. As for the brain tumor: I'm not convinced about its possibility, but I appreciate that you mentioned it, Talanic.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Ok. You need to explain how that works because that sounds like utter nonsense to me.
    Why? The brain is the seat of the thought, it seems entirely reasonable to me that brain damage caused by a tumour could cause people to act oddly and/or out of character.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Why? The brain is the seat of the thought, it seems entirely reasonable to me that brain damage caused by a tumour could cause people to act oddly and/or out of character.
    It's not so much that. It's the claim that it made him love to annoy people. With puns specifically that trips my "something more is going on here". The brain is the seat of you also, not just thought.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Narcissism, desperation or oldish person ****posting (this isn't a joke, I'm serious there is a good chance she's doing it for a laugh)

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    It's not so much that. It's the claim that it made him love to annoy people. With puns specifically that trips my "something more is going on here". The brain is the seat of you also, not just thought.
    At a guess, that person probably went from "makes a lot of jokes" to "permanently talks only in puns and doesn't stop when it annoys people". Lack of inhibition is a common symptom of a lot of brain changes.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #17

Only the abstract's available here without pay:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26900737

It made the news circuit a few months back. It's called Witzelsucht, and now that I'm reading up on it, a related condition is hypersexuality - the tendency to make sexual comments at inappropriate times or situations. In both conditions, one of the major symptoms is that the sufferer is unable to understand their behavior as abnormal, and therefore will not take peoples' reactions seriously.

Anyway, regarding Witzelsucht, sufferers couldn't understand more complicated jokes and would make puns at every opportunity. The abstract notes that damage to specific areas of the brain can (but as with many brain injuries, is not guaranteed to) cause it.
    You may think of me as:

Book one is on the Kindle now. It's a mix of hard science fiction and fantasy. How's that work? Surprisingly well.

I share the ebook version of it freely. Link to download it is at the top of that page.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything related to brain cancer anywhere in relation to Witzelsucht. Both major cases were, as far as I can tell, caused by frontal lobe trauma. Both seemed to be caused by strokes, not brain cancer.

19. - Top - End - #19

So it was. My memory failed me.
    You may think of me as:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talanic View Post
    So it was. My memory failed me.
    It's ok, it was nevertheless interesting tô read about subject.