New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Doctor Who - Series 10

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I'll accept it for this one episode for historical accuracy even though they didn't bring up the subject at all with Martha Jones or Mickey Smith, but if they do it every episode I'm done with the show until they get a new companion or maybe a new Doctor to get off the subject. I do not want to be preached to. I almost stopped watching during the Matt Smith years for the same reason. It's what turned me off from watching "Timeless". Write a good character, and I will like Bill for her own sake. Don't tell me I must like Bill or else.

As for speculation of who is in the Vault the known to the audience beings worthy: The Doctor himself, The Master, Davros, a Weeping Angel, fan service Valeyard, Rassilon

Alternatively a new threat created for the episode when he finally escapes/is let out.

Missed an opportunity to be ominous and wink at the audience by having the being knock four times instead of three.
    It did knock four times at the end it started on 1 then 2 then 3 then finally did the masters signature knock at the end.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I'll accept it for this one episode for historical accuracy even though they didn't bring up the subject at all with Martha Jones
    You don't remember "how can you tell the floors are clean when your hands are that colour"?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ok, "Thin Ice":

Spoiler
    Show
    really bad IMO, but what was the point? We learn next to nothing about either the villain or the giant fish, and I'm tired of NuWho's "nobody notices/remembers anything" schtick.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    You don't remember "how can you tell the floors are clean when your hands are that colour"?
    And the Shakespeare episode it was definitely raised as a concern (in which like this episode, people were better than expected)
    While in Daleks's in Manhattan she's in a mixed encampment.

And for the rest she's in the future.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    The problem that I really had was "They're defending themselves! That means they want revenge! That means they're sentient!". No, it just means that they're programmed to defend themselves if attacked. We saw nothing that showed that they were acting in any other than that which they were programmed. Which made the whole thing pointless, particularly since they demonstrated that they lack any capacity to learn and adapt. I found that whole ending really irritating.
    Well, they ended it with the robots are greedy, thus they are sentient.
    Which is an improvement, few non-sentients are greedy.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

No, and I'll call it a good thing I don't because it means they didn't harp on it which I hope will be the case here. Let it be for this one episode and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, "Knock Knock". The episode started off quite well and got genuinely creepy in parts, despite liberal borrowing from the Big Book of Horror Cliches. However, it had an accident in its big boy pants about halfway through and went to heck, IMHO--there were just too many things introduced that were cool and were never explained.

Spoiler
    Show

For instance: why is it specifically 6 students every 20 years? Does he have to carefully weigh them to make sure there's enough matter in them to do the job? Where did the alien insects come from that they could be picked up in a random garden by a young boy? Where did they all go at the end? Why did the doctor attending the boy's mother not freak out when he arrived to find her with a wooden arm?

Oh, and it also did the thing that Capaldi-era Who does on occasion, which is to make sure the people we meet in the episode are all OK but pretend all the other deaths didn't happen (at least 18 of them, judging by the boxes in the basement). If the writer had any guts at all the people absorbed into the house would all stay dead at the end.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, "Knock Knock". The episode started off quite well and got genuinely creepy in parts, despite liberal borrowing from the Big Book of Horror Cliches. However, it had an accident in its big boy pants about halfway through and went to heck, IMHO--there were just too many things introduced that were cool and were never explained.

Spoiler
    Show

For instance: why is it specifically 6 students every 20 years? Does he have to carefully weigh them to make sure there's enough matter in them to do the job? Where did the alien insects come from that they could be picked up in a random garden by a young boy? Where did they all go at the end? Why did the doctor attending the boy's mother not freak out when he arrived to find her with a wooden arm?

Oh, and it also did the thing that Capaldi-era Who does on occasion, which is to make sure the people we meet in the episode are all OK but pretend all the other deaths didn't happen (at least 18 of them, judging by the boxes in the basement). If the writer had any guts at all the people absorbed into the house would all stay dead at the end.
    yeah the ending was pretty bad. If you chop off the last five minutes you get roughly the same amount of resolution. But the episode is still pretty good all things considered, even if the setup was hilariously contrived. Like even in the real world, if some guy standing outside a realtors office tried to rent a house to me id assume i was being scammed or something
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    yeah the ending was pretty bad. If you chop off the last five minutes you get roughly the same amount of resolution. But the episode is still pretty good all things considered, even if the setup was hilariously contrived. Like even in the real world, if some guy standing outside a realtors office tried to rent a house to me id assume i was being scammed or something
    To make things worse, the plot did focus on a mystery, but on the wrong one.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aha! This weird man is her child, not her father!"
    Who cares? What does it change?

Also, if you think it's weird that a random guy is standing outside the office looking for people to live in the house, imagine how that worked when he was a child...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Now I'm more than half-way confident Carole Ann Ford will be making a cameo this season, probably the finale. Having Bill pretend the Doctor is her grandfather is too much of a Classic Who audience wink. If not her still Susan regenerated. Please don't have Bill actually be Susan but she was made to forget with that stopwatch thing during the Time War.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    To make things worse, the plot did focus on a mystery, but on the wrong one.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aha! This weird man is her child, not her father!"
    Who cares? What does it change?

Also, if you think it's weird that a random guy is standing outside the office looking for people to live in the house, imagine how that worked when he was a child...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, he's only been at this for seventy years total, and he only gets new tenants every twenty years, so he was probably about 17-20 the first time that he tried it. At that point, just post-war, he could claim it was his father's house.

The second time, he would have been forty, and then sixty, and now eighty. Which also means that the stakes were pretty low, because he was unlikely to live long enough for another attempt. Although I guess then the bugs would have gone looking for new food, instead of self-destructing at their queen's command...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Oxygen

No, that was not Capitalism. That's always the goto to criticize it. Greed, fine, yes, but not Capitalism. If anything it's akin to Democracy. It is the worst form of economy, except for all the others that have been tried.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlackDragon

Oxygen: actually quite liked this episode, although my mother definitely did not--she phoned me immediately after it aired complaining that she didn't understand it, and she also doesn't like Bill much. I do think the "Bill wants to run away at the first sign of danger" thing is getting a bit tiresome, but other than that I don't have a problem with her. As for the episode itself, I have to give it props for a somewhat realistic assessment of what would happen to a human exposed to vacuum.

One thing, though: if the whole point was to save money, why were they letting the suit helmets drift off into space at the beginning? Also, where did those two corpses who were tumbling end-over-end and heading toward the station come from?

Now, real question is:

Spoiler
    Show

Six episodes to go, is the Doctor going to be blind in all of them?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oxygen:
    Now, real question is:

Spoiler
    Show

Six episodes to go, is the Doctor going to be blind in all of them?
    I've got to say the delivery on that line was really weird to the point it felt like a comedic moment.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Best episode of the season so far and far more sensible internally and externally than most of what we have been served in nuWho. Not flawless on that front, and a bit clumsy in certain others but enjoyable. Capaldi is getting much better material this season than last, making me even more sad to see him go at the end.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alright, this is my first time watching Doctor Who episodes at the same time new ones are being released, and I'm having great fun.

Spoiler: The Pilot
    Show
    The whole Heather-Pilot business is my favourite of the season so far. I'm quite fond of Blue and Orange morality; entities that are so other that our ability to understand them and their behaviour, and vice versa, is severely limited. Heather-Pilot is an excellent example of this. The puddle arguably destroyed Heather, but from its perspective it just found a pilot. Possibly, arguably it taking Bill along as promised would have destroyed her, but could also just have meant them exploring infinity together as a semi-joined entity.

Clearly it had some major communication difficulties, but it was ultimately a creature without any hostile intent. And while pure evil villains can be fun, so can variety.

I would also like to here and now predict that this will be how Bill ends up leaving the series: Heather-Pilot comes back, and this time Bill goes along with her.
    Last edited by Jeivar; 2017-05-16 at 02:08 AM.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Recent episode.

As far as "robots try to kill people", it was better than the previous one with the emoji robots. Better paced, tension, and better resolution.

Still, the entire thing about the motivation baffles me.
    Spoiler
    Show

If the suits can operate the mine without the people (or other machines), why send people at all?
    Or at the very least, why not just a skeleton crew for the stuff the suits can't do?

If the mine is no longer profitable, why kill the people? A much simpler solution is to just close the factory and send them home with the next shipment. (actually, a ship was on the way before the distress call was sent)
    If the oxygen is indeed so expensive that it made a difference in the profits, this place wasn't worth it LONG before now.

As for the blindness thing, I'm guessing that's just their way to avoid every episode starting with the same "but you promised to stay", "screw you, I'm going out".
    I doubt they can pull this for more than a single or a double episode.

18. - Top - End - #78

BlackDragon

I think the answers to your questions about the Why are:

Spoiler
    Show

The suits *can't* do the mining on their own, which is why the company are sending out replacements for the miners. The reason the mine profitability is down is due to fatigue on behalf of the "organic components", so swapping those out for fresher people will improve productivity.

Thinking about the whole premise does make me think that the Corporation are just A-holes, though. Bringing the miners home isn't going to cost a significant amount when you've already sent a ship full of people out to replace them, as I see it, and it also adds the complication of having to dispose of 40 corpses before the replacements arrive. Not even the most rapacious capitalist would look at that situation and decide that killing people is the easiest thing to do!
    Last edited by factotum; 2017-05-16 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Messed up spoiler tags

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the answers to your questions about the Why are:

Spoiler
    Show

The suits *can't* do the mining on their own, which is why the company are sending out replacements for the miners. The reason the mine profitability is down is due to fatigue on behalf of the "organic components", so swapping those out for fresher people will improve productivity.

Thinking about the whole premise does make me think that the Corporation are just A-holes, though. Bringing the miners home isn't going to cost a significant amount when you've already sent a ship full of people out to replace them, as I see it, and it also adds the complication of having to dispose of 40 corpses before the replacements arrive. Not even the most rapacious capitalist would look at that situation and decide that killing people is the easiest thing to do!
    Productivity was down because a conveyor was down and no mining was being done, so it was costing money to have organics lying around doing nothing. How that could be considering they had to pay for everything is beyond me, but I've accepted less sensible things from DW. Not to cross the line of RW stuff here, but you shouldn't be surprised what people will do for money, especially when in the episode things were run by a computer.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Productivity was down because a conveyor was down and no mining was being done, so it was costing money to have organics lying around doing nothing. How that could be considering they had to pay for everything is beyond me, but I've accepted less sensible things from DW. Not to cross the line of RW stuff here, but you shouldn't be surprised what people will do for money, especially when in the episode things were run by a computer.
    The thing is, that I find it hard to believe that oxygen for a couple of weeks for 50 people is more expensive than maintaining a space station.
    So even if "we do this to save money" would have been the reason, a much simpler option is just to shut down everything (electricity, life-support, mobile suits).
    I understand that from a narrative point of view moving zombie-suits are more scary than system shutdown, but I wouldn't harp on it if it wasn't meant to be the point that greed is the cause.
    No, this isn't greed, that's stupidity.
    I'm betting more money was spent on trying to locate the living crewmembers so they could be "shut down" than just letting them play checkers until the repair crew arrives.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Been surprisingly pleased by this season so far. Capaldi has been awesome in all of them, but the writing had been really letting him down with a few stellar exceptions (the end of the last season was powerful in my opinion).

Spoiler: Bill in General
    Show
    I like her. She's smart, but not educated, and views the world just a little off-center from most people, asking questions that have needed to be asked for a long time. She's remarkably perceptive (few people put together the Doctor's nature as quickly as she does), enthusiastic, and brave without being fool-hardy.

Also, it will be a relief to have one person in the freaking galaxy who isn't romantically interested in the Doctor. The last one we had was Donna Noble and she was wonderful, but then they had to lobotomize her. I'm just grateful that (so far) they're using her orientation as a detail of her character and not the detail. It's part of her character without defining it, if you follow me, and that's a rare thing in my experience with TV and movies.

Show
    The puddle ship didn't just grab any pilot, it grabbed one that specifically wanted to leave. It was granting her wish as well as fulfilling its own needs. When Heather-Pilot returns, it's "morality" will be better judged with its mentality. HP did recognize Bill in the end, breaking the reflection with its last word. If HP evolves into a fully fledged persona, I think the puddle ship did her a favor. Otherwise, it's just a self-centered predator like most of the universe.

One thing that kinda irked me about the episode, however, was that it was a pretty transparent mish-mash of concepts from older episodes. Our enemy will be a ship that is looking for a pilot... kinda like that one in "The Lodger". Oh, and its avatar (when it's not the raspy whisper of a generic predator) will repeat everything Bill says to it, kinda like that creature from "Midnight", but we'll pick the dialogue so that everything said to it has a different connotation when repeated. And, just to really drive it home, let's do that eternal drip thing from "The Waters of Mars", that was really creepy, wasn't it?

That said, it wasn't a bad mish-mash of older concepts. And Nardole is growing on me. Since when was he an android, though?

Spoiler: Smile
    Show
    Eh... Interesting idea with middling execution. Robots who use human mental states to gauge their own fitness face grief for the first time and draw the wrong conclusions from it. As someone with a fascination with AI (it was a focus of mine in college), I really found the twisted logic interesting. The resolution was frustratingly "happy", in a fake, easy way. Oh, they're an emergent sapience? Well that makes them the landlords for humanity and the species may survive as long as the rent is posted by the first of the month. Everything's good as long as nobody ever brings up the uncomfortable facts of their new "first contact". All we really needed was to end it with a freeze frame, a laugh track, and a synthesizer sting to really drive home the sanitized nature of it.

That said, I thought it was clever to use rent as the bridge, as greed is a human enough trait humanize the robots. They're not yet speaking the same language, but it creates a few common words in their shared lexicon. Also, I really loved the Doctor's "Why I always win at chess" speech.

Spoiler: Thin Ice
    Show
    Another episode in Victorian England. Same old, same old. Something big hidden in the Thames, humans used as a consumable resource, nobody remembers anything afterward. I don't think it would have been a memorable episode if it weren't for Bill. I can't think of many (if any) companions who identify and call out the Doctor's blood-stained past as quickly or completely as Bill does here, or come to terms with it as effectively. Some enemies, yes, as well as any number of one-shot guest stars, but companions tend to be blinded by the enthusiasm and whimsy he focuses on to avoid thinking about it. Now, granted, Bill has known the Doctor for many months by this point, so it makes sense that she can read him better, but this is only her third outing with him "on the job". It's still impressive, and even more so in how she refuses to allow the Doctor to evade her or equivocate his answer. Then she goes one step further than even that and actually learns from the situation.

Spoiler: Knock Knock
    Show
    Gotta agree with factotum in that it had the makings for a good (if generic) horror story, but then got distracted by focusing on the wrong things. The length is what killed it, I think, as it didn't fit into an hour timeslot. They compressed it the wrong way, disposing of the kids as if they were nameless extras rather than focusing on the terror of having an unfamiliar home turn against you. It would have also been better if the Doctor had been alienated in this episode - Bill shuts him out, and then he struggles from the outside while the kids have to use their wits to survive on the inside. Or, and this is just me spitballing here, but bring up the fact that the Doctor's magic wand is ineffective against wood. End result is dissatisfying, but only because it had the makings of something really good and came out mediocre.

I did, however, get a kick out of Bill's efforts to keep home life and adventuring separate. She's so busy trying to keep the Doctor out of the one quiet corner of her life that she utterly fails to realize that the roommates she's trying to fit in with (who are actual college students) are well aware of the enigmatic "professor of everything" and actually think he's cool.

Spoiler: Oxygen
    Show
    I actually really liked this one quite a bit, and not only because it had the brass to keep the consequences after the credits. That is a big thing, though. According to the episode's "Inside Look", the writer fully intended to fix the Doctor's vision by the end of the episode, but Moffat decided it was too bold a move to undo so neatly, so they worked it into the overarching narrative. The downside is that those stupid sonic sunglasses make a return and I really hated those blasted things. I liked the blue guy, if only as an acknowledgement of the ever-shifting perception of racism, but I wish he'd had a more compelling role. Aliens always get the shaft in Doctor Who.

Story-telling wise, it was pretty solid, gradually ramping up the threat by stealing the Doctor's game-breakers one after another. The threat of the victims ramped up nicely as well, going from "dangerous outside, but useless inside" and "minimal intelligence and basic problem solving" to "unstoppable killing machines able to think around any and all obstacles" just by shifting perspective. The Doctor's solution of making them too expensive to kill was exceptionally clever as well. It was altogether a compelling episode in my book.

That said, it failed pretty hard as a criticism of capitalism. The basic premise of the episode was actually pretty solid. A remote space facility like that, it would be to your advantage to incentivize economical use of oxygen. It would work if you paid them highly for production and then nickled and dimed them for poor use of oxygen. The twin forces would encourage a middle ground where you get the best pay for the least cost. A clever way to maintain as sustainable a use of a limited resource as possible. However, this system in the episode largely fails because of bad people, not capitalism. Killing under-performers is bad capitalism as a waste of resources and needlessly bad PR. You're sending a ship up with replacements anyway, right? Just march the unprofitable miners into the ship (you control their suits, after all) and replace them. If you're feeling generous, transfer them to a position that is easy enough to let them recover, but low-paying enough to encourage them to get back out there as soon as they're able. If you're not, just fire 'em and let them sort it out themselves. Jackass move, sure, but I'd rather be fired than killed any day. Killing people like that is not good business, as you either reveal yourself as evil on the spot, disguise it as an accident and pay an ever increasing hazard bonus to keep recruits coming in, or obtain an absolute stranglehold on the spread of information to keep the news from ever being heard in the first place. The problem with the third one is that, if word gets out in a way you can't control, everything stands to fall like a house of cards, and that's assuming rivals don't use it to undercut you. No, that isn't capitalism, it's greed. They can look the same and smell the same, but greed is far more short sighted and destructive. Either that or they had a really simplistic AI doing making their business decisions...

The one thing that gets me, though, is what they're doing out there. Yes, they're miners. Yes, they're looking for copper. But why are they on a space station if they're looking to excavate a mountain of copper? A facility like that should be planet-side, or at least in close orbit to a planet. Bigger commutes = larger expenses = weaker bottom line. Were they mining asteroids, like some shady outer space chop shop? That could work for the setting, but the premise suffers if they are being killed due to lack of opportunity rather slowing production. *deep breath* "Just keep reminding yourself it's just a show. 'I should really just relax.'"

Spoiler: Predictions
    Show
    The vault is being used to hold the Mistress. We know she's in the season, and it makes the most sense as something he's desperately afraid of letting lose yet still feels compelled to chat with and pamper. Originally, I assumed it was the door to Gallifrey, but the Doctor treats it more personal than an entire race. "You gave the Time Lords a piano?!" Doesn't really work. Perhaps Missy is standing on the other side of the door, acting as guardian herself? I don't think the Master ever had particularly hostile feelings against the Time Lords, just a resentment and frustration not unlike the Doctor's. She might well do it.

I also predict she's going to be the source of the Doctor's regeneration (which they stupidly put in the trailer), probably in order to save him. "Oh, you can't save the day because you can't see? Poor man. *Blam* You're a Time Lord, you magnificent idiot. Walk it off." It'll be a shame if Capaldi leaves. As I've said, Capaldi has been awesome, but that alone can't redeem a river of lame-ass scripts.

Well, that's my overly-wordy take on things so far.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2017-05-16 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Weird spacing bug
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Show
    The puddle ship didn't just grab any pilot, it grabbed one that specifically wanted to leave. It was granting her wish as well as fulfilling its own needs. When Heather-Pilot returns, it's "morality" will be better judged with its mentality. HP did recognize Bill in the end, breaking the reflection with its last word. If HP evolves into a fully fledged persona, I think the puddle ship did her a favor. Otherwise, it's just a self-centered predator like most of the universe.

One thing that kinda irked me about the episode, however, was that it was a pretty transparent mish-mash of concepts from older episodes. Our enemy will be a ship that is looking for a pilot... kinda like that one in "The Lodger". Oh, and its avatar (when it's not the raspy whisper of a generic predator) will repeat everything Bill says to it, kinda like that creature from "Midnight", but we'll pick the dialogue so that everything said to it has a different connotation when repeated. And, just to really drive it home, let's do that eternal drip thing from "The Waters of Mars", that was really creepy, wasn't it?

That said, it wasn't a bad mish-mash of older concepts. And Nardole is growing on me. Since when was he an android, though?
    Spoiler: Nardole
    Show
    The Doctor built him a new body, I think? I seem to remember that being mentioned at some point... Not sure.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Show
    The Doctor built him a new body, I think? I seem to remember that being mentioned at some point... Not sure.
    Show
    You're not wrong. He drops that exposition during the Return of Doctor Mysterio. "You needed me, so you pulled my out of Hydroflax and put me back together." Or something like that. So, yeah, an android body isn't a surprise, I suppose. Still, he needed a helmet in Oxygen... either that or he wouldn't even go THAT far for a human, which is pretty brutal. But that bolt in The Pilot was comically massive...
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

A second set of Tenth Doctor audioplays has been annouced, this time with Billie Piper.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

25. - Top - End - #85

Oh, boo. The ones with Donna were such fun, why bring Rose back yet again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Oh, boo. The ones with Donna were such fun, why bring Rose back yet again.
    Big Finish have a good history of rehabilitating unpopular characters, i.e. the Sixth Doctor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: Predictions
    Show
    The vault is being used to hold the Mistress. We know she's in the season, and it makes the most sense as something he's desperately afraid of letting lose yet still feels compelled to chat with and pamper. Originally, I assumed it was the door to Gallifrey, but the Doctor treats it more personal than an entire race. "You gave the Time Lords a piano?!" Doesn't really work. Perhaps Missy is standing on the other side of the door, acting as guardian herself? I don't think the Master ever had particularly hostile feelings against the Time Lords, just a resentment and frustration not unlike the Doctor's. She might well do it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My prediction is that the vault contains John Simm's iteration of the Master, who certainly has a grudge against the Time Lords, and was briefly shown in the season summary. My prediction/hope there is that he escapes, and we briefly get both the Master and the Mistress, before the Mistress inevitably kills the Master for being annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My prediction is that the vault contains John Simm's iteration of the Master, who certainly has a grudge against the Time Lords, and was briefly shown in the season summary. My prediction/hope there is that he escapes, and we briefly get both the Master and the Mistress, before the Mistress inevitably kills the Master for being annoying.
    Spoiler: Holy Crap
    Show
    Sooooo... in April the BBC apparently confirmed that we are getting a double dose of the Master. Okay, wow. Seriously, just... wow. I... uh... wow... That is nine flavors of awesome. It always bothered me that we never saw the Master go from Simms to Gomez, from the Death Eater to the Keeper of Heaven. One minute he's committing a heroic sacrifice (complete with overblown heroic fanfare), the next he's a cheeky Mary Poppins knock-off looking to hand him the keys to a shiny new Cyber Legion. I never considered we'd get to see it two full Doctors later.

I really want this to work. Capaldi's got a few of the best and a lot of the weakest episodes I've seen from a Nu Who Doctor. I think this could take the cake one way or the other, depending on the writing. But seriously, combining that much insanity and charisma into one season (Capaldi, Simms, AND Gomez?) is just...

Wow.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

29. - Top - End - #89

Big Finish have a good history of rehabilitating unpopular characters, i.e. the Sixth Doctor.
    Hrm. True, I suppose, though I've never seen the Sixth Doctor on TV, so for me he was always good. They did make a few of the more Rose-ish Old Who companions interesting, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Wow!
    Latest episode just revealed some mind blowing details!
    Not saying more ok?
    Spoilers after all and I'd like to watch it again first!