New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX: Elder Evil

... and, I may have found a work-around for mine. We'll have to see, but I may put it together yet.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll try to go for it as well :)
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

And here goes my Idea of a Sign increasing everybodies muscle mass until they explode.

Phew....damn. ^^
    Jokes aside,that did put a dampener on my plan, back to the drawing board it is then.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2017-04-22 at 04:33 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    And here goes my Idea of a Sign increasing everybodies muscle mass until they explode.

Phew....damn. ^^
    Jokes aside,that did put a dampener on my plan, back to the drawing board it is then.
    My idea involved increasing the ego scores of symbionts as well as the odds of meeting one. Drat.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

So, I know we can't like, make up new signs, but are we allowed to refluff existing ones? I can't really think of an example that doesn't like, directly spoil my build, but as long as the mechanical effects are the same can we add our own sort of fluff to it? Just to match up better with a wider potential range of Elder Evils, as the ones in the book are, by and large, tailored to the existing Elder Evils which only cover a small number of themes.
    Last edited by Technetium43; 2017-04-22 at 05:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX: Elder Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Technetium43 View Post
    So, I know we can't like, make up new signs, but are we allowed to refluff existing ones? I can't really think of an example that doesn't like, directly spoil my build, but as long as the mechanical effects are the same can we add our own sort of fluff to it? Just to match up better with a wider potential range of Elder Evils, as the ones in the book are, by and large, tailored to the existing Elder Evils which only cover a small number of themes.
    Generally speaking, re-fluffing is totally fine.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

So how's the villainous plotting coming along? I think I've settled on just about everything.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I got a nice little thematics, not sure how effective a villain that will prove to be though...

Just to be sure: contestants must bring forward a character build a minima, right? Stuff like depicting the Elder Evil like it is done in the book is optional?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I've had this concept for an existing elder evil for a while now, but of course it's not a proper build competition for me without doing 80% of the character during the last three days before deadline.

That said, I've had this spark of inspiration for a new elder evil emissary based on one of the existing signs. Problem here is I still suck at writing, so I'm not sure how to approach the Elder Evil fluff, and by how much should I flesh it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I have two builds, each using a different Elder Evil sign (I'm keeping one of the original signs with the Evil, and re fluffing another). That's okay, right?
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    So how's the villainous plotting coming along? I think I've settled on just about everything.
    I have two sentences of backstory done.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I've definitely got my concept, I just have to finish putting some crunch to it.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly no more than the name of the EE and a few Background Notes are finished.

Swamped with work until at least next week....again, sigh.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Probably not participating incase someone else wants to do it, but I'll be watching. The last thread I read about elder evils made D&D so much better.
    Last edited by VisitingDaGulag; 2017-05-24 at 12:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX: Elder Evil

Just a reminder to everyone: creating a new elder evil is completely optional.

If you feel a bit daunted by the amount of work, it's completely fine to base your entry off one of the existing Elder Evils.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

I'm sure they're aware. Everyone just wants to show off their creativity and make the most of homebrew actually being allowed.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    I'm sure they're aware. Everyone just wants to show off their creativity and make the most of homebrew actually being allowed.

That.

Even if my first Idea was shot down.....^^

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    I have found something:

Skills: A lycanthrope gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die of its animal form, as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. (Animal is never its first Hit Die, though, and it does not gain quadruple skill points for any animal Hit Die.) Any skill given in the animal’s description is a class skill for the lycanthrope’s animal levels. In any form, a lycanthrope also has any racial skill bonuses of the base creature and of the base animal, although conditional skill bonuses only apply in the associated form.

If you can multiclass to Animal, Animal is a class. So all RHD are classes. So all the people in this competition who advanced the RHD should have done it as associated so all those builds are illegal!
    In not so black and white,it isn't explicitly stating that they are not one and the same, however the amount of times it references the difference between hit dice and class levels, especially when talking about RHD that are kept, as well as when RHD are replaced entirely and solely by class levels, would beg to differ.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2017-05-05 at 12:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

If you can multiclass to Animal, Animal is a class. So all RHD are classes. So all the people in this competition who advanced the RHD should have done it as associated so all those builds are illegal!
    The iffiness about animal HD counting as a class aside, you'll have a tough time proving that it applies to other types.

The more important issue is that regardless of the above statement, lycanthrope has a specific line about CR.
    By class level or base creature, modified according to the HD of the base animal: 1 HD or 2 HD, +2; 3 HD to 5 HD, +3; 6 HD to 10 HD, +4; 11 HD to 20 HD, +5; 21 or more HD, +6.
    So if you want to post about it move it to dysfunctional rules, but if the builds abide by this rule, they're legal.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, in the other thread I found that in I'm not so sure about now. It seems like there is arguing for both sides. But it is something to think about in the rules.
    So you took shaky, half baked reasoning of a misreading, and the say so of a single person who was on your side, and based an entire argument of "every build that uses any HD that didn't explicitly come from a class is illegal" on it? This series has seen plenty of trolls, but I don't think any so blatant.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Also, this competition doesn't even USE the 'associated/non-associated' class rules. So it doesn't matter either way.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Technetium43 View Post
    Also, this competition doesn't even USE the 'associated/non-associated' class rules. So it doesn't matter either way.
    I'm not sure how that is applicable here. His argument simply was all HD, RHD included, were class levels, and thus any build using RHD that pushed their total above or below 20 were thus illegal. Nothing about the associated class level rules were ever mentioned.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

The competition does use the associated/non-associated class rules, actually. It's just that all classes are treated as associated.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XX: Elder Evil

FWIW, a certain someone posting in this thread was already well and truly on my watch list of being a clone account of a previously banned member, who also caused a lot of problems in the various VC competitions.

The timing of the when the account appeared was one thing, but there was also a relatively inflammatory post put into a previous VC thread by the account that was deleted moments after it first appeared - very reminiscent of the modus operandi of a certain banned account.

New competition rule: if I feel an individual has been overly disruptive during the course of competition discussion, I will not be accepting and revealing any entries from that individual, and they will also not be allowed to judge. Any judging they enter will not be taken into account for the final tally.

I got to the point of resigning as chair the last time a troll (or possibly a pair of trolls) were ruining all civilized discussion in the competition thread.

I'm not letting it happen again.

It seems to be there is one or two people out there that seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against the particular competition, so they do their best to be a disruptive influence to the process. It's kind of pathetic, actually.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    FWIW, a certain someone posting in this thread was already well and truly on my watch list of being a clone account of a previously banned member, who also caused a lot of problems in the various VC competitions.

The timing of the when the account appeared was one thing, but there was also a relatively inflammatory post put into a previous VC thread by the account that was deleted moments after it first appeared - very reminiscent of the modus operandi of a certain banned account.

New competition rule: if I feel an individual has been overly disruptive during the course of competition discussion, I will not be accepting and revealing any entries from that individual, and they will also not be allowed to judge. Any judging they enter will not be taken into account for the final tally.

I got to the point of resigning as chair the last time a troll (or possibly a pair of trolls) were ruining all civilized discussion in the competition thread.

It seems to be there is one or two people out there that seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against the particular competition, so they do their best to be a disruptive influence to the process. It's kind of pathetic, actually.
    Hear hear! But on a side note, I don't think its anything against this series, just usual idiotic troll behavior. We just happen to be the unlucky receivers.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Is there going to be a blacklist or something akin to that now? Or will the ban apply only to individual rounds?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Know I'm with you on this one.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Well said, well done. I support you.

Finally getting down to work on the entry proper.
    Awards

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Two thumbs up from me. Can't wait to see the entries this time!

On a completely unrelated note, idea for the next competition: "Why won't you die?" - villains that keep coming back.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2017-05-06 at 03:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Good call.

Getting to work on my entry as well. I might even get it in early this time.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition