New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Question: Quick and Dirty RPG System

I find myself in need of a system with little need for prep time and very simple rules. I'm going to be GMing a bunch of quick games one on one with people to help establish characters for a later game. Does anyone have any recommendations for a system that doesn't need much effort to pick up and play/learn?
    If it helps, the game will be in a post apocalyptic setting with heavy fantasy/sci-fi influences. The party has a fairly wide range of abilities, but they're all starting around the same power level.
    vwelp. kudos to gurgleflep for the avwatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question: Quick and Dirty RPG System

Check out the link to STaRS in my signature? (And if you like the brief writeup, let me know and I can send you an advanced copy). Pretty much made for quick play and easy GMing, and it's generic enough to fit most things.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Well, I always throw out ODE in cases like this...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

If you really want a rules light game Roll for Shoes has 7 rules in it. You can fit the entire system on an index card.

You will almost certainly have to add some house rules to clean up whatever edges you want to explore in the system. But that doesn't take that long.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

D&D-themed superlight rules? Try Dungeon Squad

star-trek themed superlight rules? Try Lasers and Feelings

Even lighter, silly, any-setting rules? Try RISUS. seeing as you're aiming for post-apocalypse, I feel risus may have you covered best, but it wouldn't surprise me if lasers and feelings couldn't be sufficiently altered, like maybe between agnst (pessimistic, preparedness, brutal violence) and hope (optimistic, adapting to situations, communication).
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2017-04-19 at 03:17 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Even lighter, silly, any-setting rules? Try RISUS. seeing as you're aiming for post-apocalypse, I feel risus may have you covered best, but it wouldn't surprise me if lasers and feelings couldn't be sufficiently altered, like maybe between agnst (pessimistic, preparedness, brutal violence) and hope (optimistic, adapting to situations, communication).
    I endorse this suggestion. RISUS is life, RISUS is love, RISUS fits on six sheets of A4 and its character sheets fit on business cards.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've used three systems for post-apocalypse gaming.
    Risus - played Dawn of the Dead type game
    Very quick to pick up, very fast and fun. But the system did not capture the feel of the game nor help in "building" a game character.
    Apocalypse World - played post nuclear bounty hunter in Las Vegas.
    Covered all aspects of the setting, feel and character development good, but didn't excel at any of them. Quick to learn as a player, not sure about gming.
    Fate Core - gm'd Mad Max
    Covered all aspects of the game, setting, feel and great character development. I had to implement special rules for vehicle combat and gas usage. Biggest problem, as always with Fate, is for new players to grasp the system.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

PbtA games (Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Monster of the Week)
    Fate Core/FAE
    Early versions of D&D (though the GM will have to learn a bit, the players can make do with a lot less)
    BRP (same)