New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Andromeda II: Stay Strong and Clear!

You know I'd appreciate profiles a lot more if they allowed you to switch up how you assigned your level-up perks. So vanguard has a full vanguard-build, but you could switch to tech-sniper and be completely different, instead of having to fit tech sniper and vanguard into the same level up pool and splitting your focus.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    You know I'd appreciate profiles a lot more if they allowed you to switch up how you assigned your level-up perks. So vanguard has a full vanguard-build, but you could switch to tech-sniper and be completely different, instead of having to fit tech sniper and vanguard into the same level up pool and splitting your focus.
    That would be entirely too much fun.

I'd also have liked the powers to be linked to profiles... as in, change profile and get the linked powers, so that you can toss someone with throw as a biotic and change to combat and hit them with a concussion round as a soldier. (I realize you can do that now, but Daddy Ryder got to flip his around on demand) Again, way too much fun. I'd be fine with fewer powers in exchange, especially where the powers lack differentiation.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaisen View Post
    Trip/Frag/Flak are also good to dump points in if you need to level combat. Stick them on a profile, pop them off when you need an alpha strike, then switch to your actual combat setup. (Also remember to switch back to them after a fight to recharge)
    This is a great idea. It seems fitting too - I'm lugging all those power cells around on my Adept for no reason, might as well make grenades.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    This is one game where "New Game+" feels like the way the game was meant to be played. At higher levels (60+) you have more than enough points to throw around to switch from Vanguard to Sniper as you please.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

UGH. Trying to get my infiltrator to level through MP in ANNOYING. I loved the Vindicator. BOOM and running a shotgun. Now, with the infiltrator? I've got almost no powers (just cryo and grenades, plus the cloak), and I achieve almost nothing. (ME3, incidentally)
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2017-08-01 at 11:07 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #395

With the exception of the Asari Huntress and N7 Shadow, Infiltrator is a combat class. If you don't have a decent gun, it will underperform; the powers are there solely to supplement your gunplay. Treat it like a soldier that can sneak around, and use bursty guns like shotguns and sniper rifles rather than sustained dps like ARs and SMGs.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #396
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welp, I guess its official. ME:A is dead for single player. It will only recieve MP updates from now on and the Quarian Ark will be resolved via a novel or comic at some point in the future.

Link

Not exactly surprising, though I am a little disappointed. I Figure if they do revisit Mass Effect it will probably be back in the Milky way though it's not going to happen anytime soon with Anthem and DA4 in the works.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Possibly the least surprising news since the sun rose this morning, considering how EA dropped the project like a hot brick as soon as it didn't sell according to their requirements.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's a bummer. A clear sign of executive meddling - shipping it out too fast and then abandoning it because sales were affected by shipping it out too fast.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Revisiting the Milky Way would be tricky, unless they just remaster ME1. The original setting was kind of unsustainable outside the original trilogy.
    Last edited by Morty; 2017-08-20 at 08:19 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, part of me feels guilty. Like, by demanding more Mass Effect despite the Trilogy's sheer END, were we inevitably going to get something that was never going to measure up, and thus condemning the entire franchise to its grave? Let's be honest, who here actually reads the tie-in novels and comics besides obsessive-completionist canon-loonies like me?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2017-08-20 at 11:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

I read one of the novels when I had nothing else better to do.

12. - Top - End - #402

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I'll be honest, part of me feels guilty. Like, by demanding more Mass Effect despite the Trilogy's sheer END, were we inevitably going to get something that was never going to measure up, and thus condemning the entire franchise to its grave?
    This is EA we're talking about. They would have continued a successful franchise like ME regardless of how much the fans asked for it, and it's also them that decided to use an untested team who'd never worked on a Mass Effect game before to produce this new one, so Bioware could keep producing the other cash cow Dragon Age.

13. - Top - End - #403

I'm... pretty disappointed. Not much else to say really.

Anthem is probably the first Bioware game I won't be preordering as a result, if I get it at all. The MMO-shooter genre is already looking to get more crowded (Destiny 2, Warframe-PoE etc) so I'm okay sitting that title out to convey my displeasure. At the very least, it'll have to blow me away to be worth a purchase at this point. I don't know if I'm quite ready to sharpen my pitchfork and join the #BoycottAnthem movement whole-hog, but I can definitely identify with the sentiments of those who do. And who knows - if the backlash is loud enough, we might get a bone like the Sense8 crowd did from Netflix.

Having said all that - concerning the franchise's future, we got a hopeful message from Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I'll be honest, part of me feels guilty. Like, by demanding more Mass Effect despite the Trilogy's sheer END, were we inevitably going to get something that was never going to measure up, and thus condemning the entire franchise to its grave? Let's be honest, who here actually reads the tie-in novels and comics besides obsessive-completionist canon-loonies like me?
    More Mass Effect was never the problem, and Andromeda's story is fine. It's just that between some strange design decisions (e.g. the three power limit) and the facial animations utterly dominating the conversation at release, MEA never stood the chance it deserved.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just worried this'll mean no more Mass Effect at all... like, EA will basically go "Why would we let BioWare make more Mass Effect games if all you ingrates do is complain about them like you did with Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda? You've already proven you hate it."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #405

That's definitely a possibility, and we're seeing it with the likes of Silent Hill and Megaman, both of which are much cheaper to make than a Mass Effect game.

I should probably say something more encouraging here but I got nothing.

At least we know that, if ME is indeed cancelled for good, that it won't be because Bioware didn't want to make more (as evidenced by Casey's tweet.) It'll be due to the EA suits who are to blame for all the other woes of the franchise.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Controversy over facial animations aside, Andromeda had a lot of various problems, smaller and greater, that made its overall reception pretty lukewarm. Like the three powers limitation, which is a solution in want of a problem. I found it less enjoyable on a replay, and trying to play a caster with the three power limit was no doubt part of it.

Either way, even if Mass Effect comes back someday, it won't be soon. Returning to the Milky Way would be problematic, to put it mildly, but Andromeda's reception might convince the executives that it's the way to go. But we'll have to wait some years to find out.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #407

Soo.... what's the chance this will lead to a reasonably priced release that includes DLC?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #408

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Soo.... what's the chance this will lead to a reasonably priced release that includes DLC?
    Wouldn't that require them to have actually created some DLC? And there certainly won't be any forthcoming now, this announcement specifically says no singleplayer DLC will be created.

19. - Top - End - #409

It's already pretty heavily discounted (especially on console) if that's what you're asking Mark.

Forbes has weighed in - the backlash is now spreading to even the more favorable reviewers, and with good reason.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's already pretty heavily discounted (especially on console) if that's what you're asking Mark.
    I'm just grumpy. I've looked into filling out my DLC collections for 2 and 3, and have better things to spend my money on.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #411
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

At the high risk of sounding hysterical, I am now DONE with bioware.

This isn't purely really a reaction to the delivery of MEA (although that is a big contributing factor)

It is more final straw if you will , the cheap DLC plugging in DAO , the ME3 day one DLC and ending, the "made for PC experience" of DAI (which had a gimped UI and tactics interface to streamline console adoption).

Now while the game itself was fun , I only put in 100 hours , this compared to Me3 which has 1200 + in terms of playtime, I feel no pull to do another run through , nor really engage in the MP aspect , the whole game just feels hollow and unfinished. Add in that the 10 hour early access trial has appreciably more content than the mid point of the game , makes the hollow feeling worse IMO.

I doubt I will be buying Anthem , not out of sense of moral outrage , more out of thorough disinterest in MMO shooters.

And DA4 well , I might look at it for game of the year , but any brand traction bioware had with me is long gone.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the biggest shame really is that DLC is where Bioware has really shone over the past several games. They tended to have more polish and tighter more focused stories that were fairly interesting standalone questlines, on top of that they also tended to have some fairly interesting mechanics added onto the base game.

I think making MEA a huge sprawling game was definitely a mistake especially for a new studios first try at the game series. It probably would of done better off if it was smaller in scope and focused more on either the story or exploration aspects of the game.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Unlike, say, the ME3 ending controversy, this is an issue where it's clearly EA at fault, rather than Bioware. Bioware don't get to decide to make more DLC if EA rules that it's not financially viable, they presumably didn't get a choice about which studio with which to make the game and if EA starts closing down their studios and cannibalising their workforce, their only option is to leave EA's employ entirely.

24. - Top - End - #414

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    their only option is to leave EA's employ entirely.
    If you're talking Bioware as a whole, the only way they get to leave the mothership is if they're fired out an airlock. History is littered with the corpses of development studios that EA has canned because their latest game didn't meet expectations--Westwood, Pandemic, Maxis, Mythic, the list goes on.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah I'm not sure how Bioware could "leave". EA bought them. It's not like they're in some sort of equal partnership. They're a subsidiary of EA.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Earlier I tried to board Nomad but the enter button doesn't prompt to me anymore. Glorious. So here's to last patch.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you're talking Bioware as a whole, the only way they get to leave the mothership is if they're fired out an airlock. History is littered with the corpses of development studios that EA has canned because their latest game didn't meet expectations--Westwood, Pandemic, Maxis, Mythic, the list goes on.
    Hey, at least this image is now accurate.

Spoiler
    Show

Personally, I blame No Man's Sky from this debacle.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant the actual workforce for the last option, but otherwise I agree.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure how Bioware could "leave". EA bought them. It's not like they're in some sort of equal partnership. They're a subsidiary of EA.
    The developers and creatives can leave, but they can't take anything (including the names "Bioware" and "Mass Effect") with them.

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Personally, I blame No Man's Sky from this debacle.
    That's a great summary of how godawful this is by the way - even freaking No Man's Sky got story DLC! How bad is it when No Man's Sky can dunk on you?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's a great summary of how godawful this is by the way - even freaking No Man's Sky got story DLC! How bad is it when No Man's Sky can dunk on you?
    At this point I'm actually having more fun with No Man's Sky. Sure the combat sucks, but so long as one approaches it as a weird mellow sort of thing where you tool around and look at stuff because you want to tool around and look at stuff, it's really quite a good time.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

This news has made me realise I've not picked up MEA in months or even finished the single player. I'm still just after the first time Sara meet Jaal.

Given how much time I spent with Shepherd and that playing ME3 I was on 4hrs sleep a day until I finished it, that makes me quite sad. I'm even contemplating a new maleshep trilogy run!

In ME3 MP I'm now just two Gold solo extractions away from Best Of The Best. Attempted it twice and so far meet my end at the sticky fingers of a Banshee twice! I'm going to need to stock up a bit on high level ammo and consumables before attempting it again though.