New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

* Fireball is not the correct response to social encounters.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    **Nor is Charm Person.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Spamalot in the Playground

Of course not, it allows a Reflex save. What you do is socialize them some empowered Enervation and then follow up with a few drinks of Scorching Ray.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

biggrin Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Of course not, it allows a Reflex save. What you do is socialize them some empowered Enervation and then follow up with a few drinks of Scorching Ray.
    I thought Meteor Swarm was the appropriate response. Much larger AoE.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

**? The reason Meteor Swarm is not appropriate is not because the party might get caught in the larger AoE.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    I thought Meteor Swarm was the appropriate response. Much larger AoE.
    Larger AoE sure, but why risk ruining a perfectly good buffet table at a party?

* I'm no longer allowed to trigger boss fights by cooking dinner for the sole purpose of landing a date.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

You guys are all wrong. Horrid Wilting doesn't allow Evasion like Fireball, isn't blocked by Death Ward like Enervation, or deflected by Ray Deflection.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

... party pooper.

*if guizonde is inebriated, he is banned the following both irl and in-game: flamethrowers, table-dancing, throwing knives, tequila (as a weapon), silly hats, conga lines, dismemberment, acting sober, warpaint, rock-climbing gear, power tools, and anything involving diplomacy (shotgun or otherwise).

... little do they know the only reason i weaponize tequila is that i hate the stuff with a passion.

**if guizonde is sober, he is banned the following both irl and in-game: speaking in tongues, giving the dm a headache, generating a critical hit that needs a calculator to resolve (ever again), silly hats (again), weaponizing tequila, acting sober, seasoning the food of the group, and anything involving common sense (it's too out of character).
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

9. - Top - End - #489

** You do not roll initiative with 10d6.

* When the pyromaniac sorcerer discovers that basically everything is resistant or immune to his fire spells, encouraging him to take sonic spells with, "pretty much nothing resists sonic," is fine. Encouraging him to then expend his shiny new orb of sound on the slaad is not.
    ** Laughing at him when he does so is rude.
    *** "My character doesn't have Knowledge (The Planes)," is not an excuse.

(Game rules note: Slaadi are one of the very, very few things immune to sonic damage. I knew this. He didn't.)
    Play your character, not your alignment.

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    ** Neither should the default response to any situation involving diplomacy be 'cast some mind control spell'.
    *** Or 'cast Detect Thoughts'
    **** Must not guess that the wizard is a fireball-happy kind of guy.
    While 'fireball-happy' might be a bit of an understatement, it's not actually the problem. The character in question is out of the 'socially inept genius' mold, and as such is grumpy, blunt well past the point of rudeness, and breathtakingly indifferent to both authority and the dignity of same, particularly when there is a job that he feels needs doing. In other words, he's brilliant, wise, and about as charismatic as foot fungus.

* Bizarrely enough, the correct response to fire resistance actually is 'more fire' (three cheers for the Burn Everything/Elemental Adept feats )
    * When told that 'throwing money at everything isn't a great solution, and almost certainly won't work in combat', must not start researching the possibilities of gold pieces as railgun ammunition.
    ** Your elemental airship already has magitek laser cannons, enchanted ballistae with high-explosive bolts, space travel capability, reactive camouflage, 'forcefields', instant long-distance communication, more speed than almost any other ship in the sky, a nascent artificial intelligence, and is bigger on the inside. It does not need a railgun just for the sake of a bad joke.
    *** No, you can't have a spell to summon gold elementals either.
    **** Or create gold golems.
    ***** Just go back to being a fire-happy freak already!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*My tinker gnome bard may not buy 10,000 marbles, a cord of wood, a cello, a drum, cymbals, and a glockenspiel.
    **My bard has never even heard of the Wintergatan Marble Machine.
    ***FOR THE LAST TIME, GNO GNOMES!
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-19 at 06:44 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

While 'fireball-happy' might be a bit of an understatement, it's not actually the problem. The character in question is out of the 'socially inept genius' mold, and as such is grumpy, blunt well past the point of rudeness, and breathtakingly indifferent to both authority and the dignity of same, particularly when there is a job that he feels needs doing. In other words, he's brilliant, wise, and about as charismatic as foot fungus.

* Bizarrely enough, the correct response to fire resistance actually is 'more fire' (three cheers for the Burn Everything/Elemental Adept feats )
    * When told that 'throwing money at everything isn't a great solution, and almost certainly won't work in combat', must not start researching the possibilities of gold pieces as railgun ammunition.
    ** Your elemental airship already has magitek laser cannons, enchanted ballistae with high-explosive bolts, space travel capability, reactive camouflage, 'forcefields', instant long-distance communication, more speed than almost any other ship in the sky, a nascent artificial intelligence, and is bigger on the inside. It does not need a railgun just for the sake of a bad joke.
    *** No, you can't have a spell to summon gold elementals either.
    **** Or create gold golems.
    ***** Just go back to being a fire-happy freak already!
    Railgun? What's the joke?

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

In other words, he's brilliant, wise, and about as charismatic as foot fungus.
    * Must not admit to misreading it as him having the brilliance and wisdom of foot fungus.

** May not ask if he's curable with a month-long treatment plan involving fungal cream and open-toed shoes.

** Your elemental airship already has [snip] a nascent artificial intelligence, and is bigger on the inside. It does not need a railgun just for the sake of a bad joke.
    *** If someone says 'sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguisable from technology', spaceship airship falls everyone dies.
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-07-19 at 07:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Railgun? What's the joke?
    See the bits about "throwing money at the problem" and "gold pieces as railgun ammunition."
    Show

Gnomish proverb

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

See the bits about "throwing money at the problem" and "gold pieces as railgun ammunition."
    Oh. I've heard about that one, though I haven't read the books or seen the anime.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh. I've heard about that one, though I haven't read the books or seen the anime.
    What books or anime? The joke looked self-contained to me. "Throwing money is not the solution to the problem" "but what if I made a railgun that shot gold pieces? Then throwing (shooting) money at the problem (literally) would be a solution."
    Show

Gnomish proverb

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

What books or anime? The joke looked self-contained to me. "Throwing money is not the solution to the problem" "but what if I made a railgun that shot gold pieces? Then throwing (shooting) money at the problem (literally) would be a solution."
    Sorry, thought that was a reference to A Certain Scientific Railgun. Think that's the title.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #498

* "Solving Problems" is not a euphemism for "killing people"
    ** At least not always

19. - Top - End - #499
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    ** At least not always
    [As DM]
    *I may not have the BBEG use phrases such as "Solving Problems" and "Having a blast" literally, and have the players puzzle over what he means. Even if it's hilarious.

[As PC]
    My Bards exploits should not result in the DM having to save against Tashas Hideous Laughter.
    Or against Confusion.
    My Wizard causing sleep is fine, due to precedent.
    My DM allows UA and some homebrews, but not SCAG or EE.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

*No, you may not use Gate to summon monsters with templates.

Spoiler: Context
    Show
    In 3.5, Gate summons monsters with a HD total up to twice your caster level. The thing is, most templates don't add HD, making them far more powerful.
    Except if they're a snail!
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

21. - Top - End - #501

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    ** At least not always
    i preferred calling it "expediting problems", until the dm wised up to the euphemism and decreed i was a pc of mass npc destruction. i know when not to destroy the plot, i know not when not to throw a curveball.

*no matter how much i protest, liberal application of rock salt, napalm, nukes, or violence is not a reasonable first way of dealing with the problem.
    **even if i'm not directly responsible for the application of the above.
    * "rock salt" is not a real condiment to spice up life... in shotshell format, anyways.
    *"expediting problems" should never again involve defenestration, even if i never technically lied when i said i wanted to throw my problems out the window, the dm didn't know i was referring to the mafia kingpin and his lieutenants, and didn't know i was being litteral until too late.
    **this also counts for throwing explosives out a window to create a getaway on a floor below me.
    ***no throwing the face out a window as a way to outsource "expediting a problem".
    ****even if it works and is peaceful.
    *****next time i pull an edward, the dm is going to expedite his problem. namely, me. from at least two stories high.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    *"expediting problems" should never again involve defenestration,
    ** There is no spell called Power Word: Defenestration.

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    *****next time i pull an edward, the dm is going to expedite his problem. namely, me. from at least two stories high.
    ****** Must not suggest dipping into Dashing Swordsman to gain immunity to shattered glass.
    ******* Can one even dip into PrCs?
    ******** It still won't protect from the fall damage.
    ********* There is no Protection from Defenestration.
    ********** Protection from Defenestration does not consist of carrying around a window.
    *********** Even more so when it's sugar glass.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

*Yes, there is a spell called Defenestration Sphere. No, you may not use it as a first resort.

Show
    Amusingly, there *is* such a spell in 3.5. It normally shoots the target up into the air(if they fail two Fort saves first, that is) and pushes them into a random direction. However, if there's a window in range, the target is automatically knocked into that direction instead.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

* [The Dresden Files RPG] I am allowed and expected to be angry at the party for not being able to tell my character from another fae using Glamour to look like me.
    * I am not to "go along with it for the laughs" and proceed to act outlandish for myself, confusing my doppelganger.
    * No longer allowed to be the only one actually working to solve the mystery while still doing things like the above.
    * While it does make me Grandmother's favorite grandchild*, my friends were so confused.

Show

My character was actually the daughter of a Changeling who "made their choice" to be fully human after I was born, resulting in me being a Minor Talent with only the Minor Glamour Power. (it was our first and only dip into Dresden and I had only read the game books.) My Grandmother (whom I knew was Fae and Winter court, but did not know the power level of) loved me because she got to claim me as a representative but I was not bound by the fae inability to lie. Despite being well meaning and fairly good, I caused more chaos than almost anyone else.

25. - Top - End - #505

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    * [The Dresden Files RPG] I am allowed and expected to be angry at the party for not being able to tell my character from another fae using Glamour to look like me.
    ** Proving I am not a glamoured fae by telling a single obvious lie is acceptable. Doing so by lying about everything and everyone all the time is not.
    *** Referencing the Immortals Can Lie scene from EGS is funny once.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not try to convince anyone that half-elves, having pointy ears, are like vulcans and cannot lie. One, that's a lie. Two, anyone who's seen enough of the series knows vulcans can and do lie, despite their claims otherwise.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-21 at 12:44 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

* May no longer use FTL to travel less than a meter.

* I must seriously stop looking for ways to fire missiles at over half the speed of light.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #508

* I must seriously stop looking for ways to fire missiles at over half the speed of light.
    ... wait, in-atmosphere?

From what little I understand of physics, wouldn't that be less a case of 'rocks fall, everyone dies', and more a case of 'atmosphere is stripped away in a hellish firestorm and entire hemisphere is sterilized with hard radiation, everything dies'?

29. - Top - End - #509
    Firbolg in the Playground

... wait, in-atmosphere?

From what little I understand of physics, wouldn't that be less a case of 'rocks fall, everyone dies', and more a case of 'atmosphere is stripped away in a hellish firestorm and entire hemisphere is sterilized with hard radiation, everything dies'?
    A baseball at 0.9 C takes out a baseball stadium, maybe a small town. Given that energy increases exponentially as you approach C, something at 0.5 C would definitely do a lot of damage, but it's not causing in atmosphere fusion with its mere passage. Something at 0.6 C is "just" a strategic nuke, not a country wiper.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    A baseball at 0.9 C takes out a baseball stadium, maybe a small town. Given that energy increases exponentially as you approach C, something at 0.5 C would definitely do a lot of damage, but it's not causing in atmosphere fusion with its mere passage. Something at 0.6 C is "just" a strategic nuke, not a country wiper.
    Yes, but a missile is a *lot* bigger than a baseball. Anyone care to do the math?

Extended sig here.