New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yes, but a missile is a *lot* bigger than a baseball. Anyone care to do the math?
    Relativistic math: KE = mc^2 (gamma - 1) where gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2).

Gamma is about 1.15 for 0.5c. The kinetic energy of a sidewinder missile (example I could find on easy google) would thus be gamma * 1/2 * m * v^2 = 0.577*m*v^2 = 0.577*83.5*0.25c^2 = 2.6x10^18 J. That's on close order to a 300 MT (1 ton TNT ~ 4e9 J) nuke (about 1.5 times larger than the largest nuke ever built). Cataclysmic for a country, but not "strip the atmosphere."

If we increase the speed to 0.7c, the energy only increases by a factor of 2.5 or so.

At 0.9c, you're up an order of magnitude (ie 3 gigatons of TNT). Ouch.

Edit: had the mass of the missile wrong, changing things by about a factor of 1/2.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2017-07-21 at 07:35 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Relativistic math: KE = mc^2 (gamma - 1) where gamma = 1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2).

Gamma is about 1.15 for 0.5c. The kinetic energy of a sidewinder missile (example I could find on easy google) would thus be gamma * 1/2 * m * v^2 = 0.577*m*v^2 = 0.577*188*0.25c^2 = 2.6x10^18 J. That's on close order to a 500 MT (1 ton TNT ~ 4e9 J) nuke (multiple times larger than the largest nuke ever built). Cataclysmic for a continent, but not "strip the atmosphere."

If we increase the speed to 0.7c, the energy only increases by a factor of 2.5 or so.

At 0.9c, you're up an order of magnitude (ie 5 gigatons of TNT). Ouch.
    So... is a 0.9c baseball more devastating, or a 0.5c missile?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    So... is a 0.9c baseball more devastating, or a 0.5c missile?
    Missile, by about 2 orders of magnitude. 0.9c baseball clocks in at about 1.7e16 J (about 4 MT of TNT). Still a huge boom though.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Missile, by about 2 orders of magnitude. 0.9c baseball clocks in at about 1.7e16 J (about 4 MT of TNT). Still a huge boom though.
    Yeah, ouch.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

And this is why I should never be allowed on a separate planet to the one I'm trying to take over. In fact, I shouldn't be allowed outside of Earth's gravity well.

I also wouldn't trust this Anonymouswizard person with radio, might try something sneaky like firing this missile while on the other side of the planet (would need a satellite though, don't think I could pull it off with sky waves).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And this is why I should never be allowed on a separate planet to the one I'm trying to take over. In fact, I shouldn't be allowed outside of Earth's gravity well.

I also wouldn't trust this Anonymouswizard person with radio, might try something sneaky like firing this missile while on the other side of the planet (would need a satellite though, don't think I could pull it off with sky waves).
    Long-wave AM can bounce off the ionosphere pretty well. 180 degrees I'm not sure of, but you can hear transmissions from Asia in the US if you have the right antenna. Only at night though.

*I am not allowed to weaponize any the following:
    **relativistic physics
    **quantum mechanics
    **humor

Now from my real games, I am not allowed to
    *grin madly when the players take innocuous actions, even if nothing happens.
    *roll the dice and say hmmmm for no reason at all.
    *have too much time to prepare for a game

7. - Top - End - #517
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

*My players, when starting a combat encounter, should not have a game plan of plan A) feed them, plan B) extort them, plan C) actually fight them.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    A baseball at 0.9 C takes out a baseball stadium, maybe a small town.
    * Must not get ninja'd on an xkcd reference.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Long-wave AM can bounce off the ionosphere pretty well. 180 degrees I'm not sure of, but you can hear transmissions from Asia in the US if you have the right antenna. Only at night though.
    Of course, but any GM that would allow me access to AM (and I have had one that effectively banned it1) would apply penalties for accuracy and interference.

1Well he didn't actually ban AM, just informed us that for game purposes it would behave like FM for simplicity. This is specifically after I asked about bouncing it off the inonosphere. I did once have a GM ban me sending an electric current through two metal poles in a zombie apocalypse game, although I managed to bluff him as to how good capacitors are later (yes you can effectively combine them together to make a battery, not you cannot make 20 of these, a hand powered generator and have access to as much power as I got).

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post
    *My players, when starting a combat encounter, should not have a game plan of plan A) feed them, plan B) extort them, plan C) actually fight them.
    ** May not insist that this is the correct response to any combat encounter.
    *** Even if the system's combat chapter begins with 'six ways to avoid a fight'.
    **** Cannot spend the entire campaign barding my way past enemies.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #520
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    * Must not get ninja'd on an xkcd reference.
    ** Especially when it's the first subject tackled in the What If? series.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

*When the mob boss asks for "The good Colombian stuff" generally he means cocaine. Not coffee.
    **There is no need to ask him to clarify in future.
    ***Continuing to ask him will make him suspect I'm an undercover cop.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

12. - Top - End - #522

* If the DM has to calculate the Chandrasekhar limit of the chickens, the plan is forbidden
    ** Likewise for the Chandrasekhar limit of anything else

* Unless I have an ability that specifically enables me to do so, I cannot obtain someone's powers by drinking their blood
    ** Or eating their heart
    *** Or brain
    **** Snorting their black bile is right out

* "Hide-and-seek champion" is not a background
    ** Neither is lunatic

* Setting a game at a specific point in real-world history is fine. Spending time at the gaming table trying to research what fruit pastries historical bakers made in that era is not. Just make something up.

* Figuring out what to do with prisoners is tricky. Taking their weapons is fine. Then sending them to the inn in my home town with a forged note "Please take care of my friends and put it on my tab [signed, my pre-adventure master in the guild]" will call my alignment into question (and start a plot thread no one wants to follow up on).

* May not use anything from any of the "List of Mostly Useless Magic Items" threads.
    ** Especially not anything that's a nonsensical pun
    ** Or was written with no concern for game balance

* When copying NPCs from books or comics, I will at least change their names
    ** Especially if half the table knows the source material

* When we say "roll four d6s and take the best three" that means the highest, not the ones that will produce the most entertaining character

* May not challenge other posters to guess which of these are from actual games.

13. - Top - End - #523

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    * Unless I have an ability that specifically enables me to do so, I cannot obtain someone's powers by drinking their blood
    Good news! Pathfinder has an ability that specifically enables you to do so!
    Play your character, not your alignment.

14. - Top - End - #524

DrowGuy

*"corpse artistry"? nope.

from my character creation of a scion of taranis in scions:

*"eccentric multimillionaire" indeed can mean playing a sylvester stallone stereotype. asking for all the gear in his films is not.
    **even if i have the money, weaponizing medevac helicopters (and their patients) is probably not gonna be seen as nice.
    ***... making the dm shake his head at my knowledge of action movie tropes just so i get to have a magical dreiling to seem as less overkill is evil. even by my standards.
    **** the dm giving the ok so my dreiling has a magical poisoned bayonet shows that i've no pity for his sanity, not that my dm is clement.
    ***** "rambo stabbing something and then unloading 3 barrels worth of buckshot" is no longer a valid character concept.
    ****** due to copyright reasons, nicknaming my holland & holland triple barrel shotgun "heaven and hell and howdy" is pouring salt into the wound that is the dm's ego.

no word yet on rock salt or blessed buckshot, thank heavens. i'm giving the dm 4 shots before he calls me out as vindictive.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Firbolg in the Playground

*** Even if the system's combat chapter begins with 'six ways to avoid a fight'.
    I have found my kinfolk.

*May not make a character who flops between hyper competent and absolute failure based off of whether he can ignore his sleep deprivation penalties.
    **May not advise the luck mage to use his reality warping to make really good investments in his past instead of winning the lottery.
    ***May not then abuse his gambling addiction to become a multimillionaire.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Yeaaah about that.....I'd be the worst Unknown Armies player ever. I'd rather play a Khornate Berserker or an Ork Freebooter in wh40k.

**** May not be the worst Unknown Armies player ever.
    ***** May not shout "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" "LEEROY JENKINS!" OR "WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" in Unknown Armies.
    ****** or "BLOOD FOR THE LEEROY WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!"
    ******* May not have faint if any knowledge of Unknown Armies while playing Unknown Armies aside from somehow knowing that the combat chapter is from Unknown Armies.
    ******** No seriously, that isn't possible, how would you even GET into a game with that kind of attitude towards combat and lack of knowledge about the system and the setting aside from "it has something to do with belief or something"?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #527

DrowGuy

****** or "BLOOD FOR THE LEEROY WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!"
    all of a sudden, a generation of intrepid fools found their battlecry. i may steal it one day. you will be credited.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

18. - Top - End - #528

RedKnightGirl

* If my players attempt to con the cat people pirates by posing as a space alien who is also an epic level wizard, I may not let them succeed. It is far too ridiculous.

* I may not remedy plot holes by giving a doppelgänger ADHD.

* My players are not capable of tricking the space time continuum into thinking they're gods.
    ** My players ARE capable of intimidating a god into blessing a car so that it can successfully run over ghosts.
    *** The chauffeur of said car is named James, even though his name is Barney.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

19. - Top - End - #529

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post
    ** My players ARE capable of intimidating a god into blessing a car so that it can successfully run over ghosts.
    so that's how you get a holy buick of antioch! i always wondered! how do you get ectoplasm off the fender?

yeah, yeah, i should've said "lincoln", but i don't watch supernatural.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*I do not have weapon proficiency with hornets' nests.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    I wondered what happened after I left the chat.

* May not play a paladin in a party full of shifty folks.
    ** Cannot proceed to actually roleplay my 8 WIS.
    *** May not insist this is why I should have dumped Perception as well as insight.

* Even if half the party is bards I may not suggest we start performing a version of Pirates of Penzance during our travels.
    ** It's because I cannot sing, not despite it.

* May not forget to start the 'are 10 foot poles collapsible' thread.

Show

22. - Top - End - #532

DrowGuy

and old one, but one i'm still getting into trouble flirting with:

**no weaponizing animals ever again.
    ***if there's a theoretical way i can find a loophole to the above, preemptively banned. this includes but isn't limited to strapping proxy mines to rats and waiting for the inevitable (even if it's not my fault somebody got close to a booby trap)
    ****"accidentally" provoking a stampede of velociraptors is precisely what the above is referring to.
    *****preemptively banned playing druid. using a warmount to charge into combat is still fair game.
    ******if i get a call from any "defense of animals" organization for my ideas and behavior towards wildlife, i will be bound, gagged, and delivered to their hq.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    and old one, but one i'm still getting into trouble flirting with:

**no weaponizing animals ever again.
    ***if there's a theoretical way i can find a loophole to the above, preemptively banned. this includes but isn't limited to strapping proxy mines to rats and waiting for the inevitable (even if it's not my fault somebody got close to a booby trap)
    ****"accidentally" provoking a stampede of velociraptors is precisely what the above is referring to.
    *****preemptively banned playing druid. using a warmount to charge into combat is still fair game.
    ******if i get a call from any "defense of animals" organization for my ideas and behavior towards wildlife, i will be bound, gagged, and delivered to their hq.
    [Changeling: The Lost] * Despite what the Scientific community says, Spiders are not considered animals for the purposes of the Pipes of the Beastcaller contract.
    * Any plan that makes the Gm have a BSOD in real life is banned.
    * Not allowed to bring up that this is exactly what happens with the Summon Swarm Spell in Pathfinder/D&D.
    * Bringing up Pathfinder's Vomit Swarm is right out.
    * Forbidden from weaponizing swarms of spiders under a GM who is horrified of them.
    * Not to bring up that a pack of dogs would have been actually more dangerous.
    * Filling the Vampire's house with bats was funny the first time.
    * No longer allowed to have "The Fool" as my Mask or Mien in Changeling. World of Darkness does not mix well with magical practical jokes.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Colossus in the Playground

*I can not devour all the devils in the Nine hells and absorb their power to become a God more than once.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I wondered what happened after I left the chat.

* May not play a paladin in a party full of shifty folks.
    ** Cannot proceed to actually roleplay my 8 WIS.
    *** May not insist this is why I should have dumped Perception as well as insight.

* Even if half the party is bards I may not suggest we start performing a version of Pirates of Penzance during our travels.
    ** It's because I cannot sing, not despite it.

* May not forget to start the 'are 10 foot poles collapsible' thread.
    The hornet thing was unrelated. I just found one near my house and figured I'd probably be banned (for very good reason) from hucking it out of a sling or tossing it like a grenade in a game.

Not much went on after you left really; we went over a few more character details in a little more depth (not much; you likely got the gist of all of it) and complained a bit about various games' and editions' quirks and foibles, in standard geek fashion.

*My ex-mercenary should probably be shiftier than he actually is, instead of having a strong propensity to help the needy (even if he might grumble about it or try to get a decent fee out of it—the fee not strictly being a requirement).
    **My character's list of flaws should probably be shorter than his spell list.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-28 at 06:38 AM. Reason: formatting/typos
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

The hornet thing was unrelated. I just found one near my house and figured I'd probably be banned (for very good reason) from hucking it out of a sling or tossing it like a grenade in a game.

Not much went on after you left really; we went over a few more character details in a little more depth (not much; you likely got the gist of all of it) and complained a bit about various games' and editions' quirks and foibles, in standard geek fashion.
    Speaking of that list, I need to spend my 500gp. I wonder if I should switch a skill to Handle Animal and nab a cart to carry around a load of books. Because if I don't switch now I likely won't hit Bard 3 and get the extra skill proficiencies until level 8 (I'm already delaying Extra Attack by a level as it is).

*My ex-mercenary should probably be shiftier than he actually is, instead of having a strong propensity to help the needy (even if he might grumble about it or try to get a decent fee out of it—the fee not strictly being a requirement).
    **My character's list of flaws should probably be shorter than his spell list.
    **My
    * The ex-mercenary should not be more moral than the Paladin.

* May not endanger the party by forgetting that simple solutions to complex situations are actually quite rare (which is how my personality trait will likely play out).

Show

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Speaking of that list, I need to spend my 500gp. I wonder if I should switch a skill to Handle Animal and nab a cart to carry around a load of books. Because if I don't switch now I likely won't hit Bard 3 and get the extra skill proficiencies until level 8 (I'm already delaying Extra Attack by a level as it is).
    I debated Handle Animal as well. I ended up with enough mundane gear, and a backstory that involved a long enough trip (by land), that I ended up buying a horse and cart. Jack of All Trades will kick in next level for me, though, so I may just rely on the half-proficiency. In any event there was no way an 8 Str half-elf was going to be marching overland that far with 100+ pounds of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard
    * The ex-mercenary should not be more moral than the Paladin.

* May not endanger the party by forgetting that simple solutions to complex situations are actually quite rare (which is how my personality trait will likely play out).
    **May not suggest that while Vaarsuvius' Maxim may not be the ideal solution, it's a solution, and fairly simple in theory if not necessarily in practice.

*May not steal part of Quint's backstory from Jaws to give my character from a maritime nation a justification for thinking WATER=BAD.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

I debated Handle Animal as well. I ended up with enough mundane gear, and a backstory that involved a long enough trip (by land), that I ended up buying a horse and cart. Jack of All Trades will kick in next level for me, though, so I may just rely on the half-proficiency. In any event there was no way an 8 Str half-elf was going to be marching overland that far with 100+ pounds of gear.
    Yeah, unfortunately I'll need Extra Attack as soon as possible to dish out reliable damage, although Smite is great for burst damage I want the choice of using my slots for it or for my spells.

**May not suggest that while Vaarsuvius' Maxim may not be the ideal solution, it's a solution, and fairly simple in theory if not necessarily in practice.
    *** The problem with this is not the fact I can't get Fireball until level 12 (6 is where Lore Bards get their first Magical Secrets, right?).

Show

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, unfortunately I'll need Extra Attack as soon as possible to dish out reliable damage, although Smite is great for burst damage I want the choice of using my slots for it or for my spells.

*** The problem with this is not the fact I can't get Fireball until level 12 (6 is where Lore Bards get their first Magical Secrets, right?).
    Yup, Bard 6 for Lore bard Secrets.
    You could TWF for higher damage, but I personally think the drop in AC isn't worth it.

*May not point out that if you're looking for a blasty spell earlier than that, Thunderwave is available at Bard 1 and scales decently with higher slots (same damage as Shatter from 2nd level slots and up, plus a push effect).
    Show

Gnomish proverb

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Yup, Bard 6 for Lore bard Secrets.
    You could TWF for higher damage, but I personally think the drop in AC isn't worth it.

*May not point out that if you're looking for a blasty spell earlier than that, Thunderwave is available at Bard 1 and scales decently with higher slots (same damage as Shatter from 2nd level slots and up, plus a push effect).
    My main problem with Thunderwave is that I've tried to focus on bonus action and debuffing spells, using a rapier and Smites for damage. Plus we've got enough casters that we don't really need more damaging spells.

FWIW my Cantrips are Mending so we never need to roll to remake broken gear, and Prestidigitation because it's got some utility and it's an easy way to clean before going into town. My current plan is Paladin 1/Bard 1/Paladin+4/Bard+2/Paladin+1/Bard+lots. I would have only gone to Paladin 5, but that Aura bonus is just too tempting (although not enough to delay Expertise to later than level 8).

Huh, books are 25 gp. So, let me work out my gear with that in mind, looks like I won't need a cart.

Show