New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    My group prefers meltaguns and demolition charges.

Use a Leman Russ Stygies-Pattern Vanquisher Command Tank with Beast Hunter Shells, Co-axial Heavy Stubber, Sponsons-Mounted Multi-Meltas, Pintle-Mounted Storm Bolter, Hull-Mounted Lascannon, and Hunter-Killer Missile, and then let the real fun begin.
    i use the dark heresy rules but in another universe. we... don't talk about anti-tank mines. it's something you'd call the "catachan special", we call it "problem-solving frisbees", "+5 pieplates of resolution", and of course "plan b". we've got plasma guns, but we've yet to figure out how to include my precious meltaguns (i used to play imperial guard, every 10th man was given a melta, and every 8th and 9th were stuck in an autocannon team).

on the board, i loved my boilers. on the table, i've yet to find players to play true-blue dark heresy or only war.

for your "real fun", are there rules for the leman russ exterminator? that tank threw out so much dakka it was banned in tournaments during 3rd and 4rth edition. i stopped playing during those eras, due to picking up guitar. (i know there's more dakka now, but there's something about a charging tank saying hello by going "braaaaaaap" with 5 different guns).
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

2. - Top - End - #722

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    i use the dark heresy rules but in another universe. we... don't talk about anti-tank mines. it's something you'd call the "catachan special", we call it "problem-solving frisbees", "+5 pieplates of resolution", and of course "plan b". we've got plasma guns, but we've yet to figure out how to include my precious meltaguns (i used to play imperial guard, every 10th man was given a melta, and every 8th and 9th were stuck in an autocannon team).

on the board, i loved my boilers. on the table, i've yet to find players to play true-blue dark heresy or only war.

for your "real fun", are there rules for the leman russ exterminator? that tank threw out so much dakka it was banned in tournaments during 3rd and 4rth edition. i stopped playing during those eras, due to picking up guitar. (i know there's more dakka now, but there's something about a charging tank saying hello by going "braaaaaaap" with 5 different guns).
    The OW rules provided for the Leman Russ tank guns are much like the current rules for the Leman Russ tank guns. That is, absolute crap.

Notably, the S8 AP2 Armorbane Vanquisher Tank Gun does, according to the Only War book 3d10+5 with 16 Pentration vs. a S9 AP2 Lascannon with 5d10+10 and 10 Penetration. Also, apparently the Vanquisher has a 6-round clip. Note that 3d10+5 with 16 Penetration doesn't even damage a heavy vehicle more than half the time.

DH and Only War have a massive jump between S8 and S9, and almost no improvement between S7 and S8.

I offer and use the following replacement stats for heavy guns:
    Vanquisher Tank Gun, Armor Piercing Shells
    3km; S/-/-; 4d10+15 I; Pen 30; Clip 1; Reload 3 Full; Vengeful [9], Accurate, Reliable, Proven [4]
    Vanquisher Tank Gun, Beast Hunter Shells
    3km; S/-/-; 4d10+15 X; Pen 14; Clip 1; Reload 3 Full; Blast [3], Vengeful [8], Accurate, Damage is not reduced by toughness, Proven [2]
    Battle Cannon, High Explosive Shells
    3km; S/-/-; 4d10+10 X; Pen 8; Clip 1; Reload 3 Full; Blast [10], Concussive [3], Reliable, Proven [3]
    Punisher Gatling Cannon
    300m; -/-/40; 1d10+4 I; Pen 2; Clip 1000; Reload 15 Full; Reliable, Storm
    Demolisher Siege Cannon
    200m; S/-/-; 4d10+25 X; Pen 12; Clip 1; Reload 3 Full; Blast [10], Concussive [5], Proven [5]
    Executioner Plasma Cannon
    600m; S/3/-; 2d10+15 E; Pen 10; Clip 30; Reload 4 Full; Blast [3], Maximal, Overheat
    Conqueror Cannon
    2km; S/-/-; 3d10+10 X; Pen 8; Clip 1; Reload 2 Full; Blast [10], Concussive [3], Reliable, Proven [3], Accurate
    Eradicator Nova Cannon
    600m; S/-/-; 2d10+5 X; Pen 6; Clip 1; Reload 2 Full; Blast [15], Concussive [4], Reliable, Ignores Cover
    Laser Destroyer
    3km; S/-/-; 4d10+20 E; Pen 16; Clip 10; Reload 1 Full; Blast [3], Vengeful [9], Accurate, Proven [4]

Medusa Siege Gun, High Explosive Shells
    400m; S/-/-; 4d10+30 X; Pen 12; Clip 1; Reload 4 Full; Blast [15], Concussive [6], Proven [5], Indirect
    Medusa Siege Gun, Bastion Breacher Shells
    400m; S/-/-; 4d10+30 X; Pen 35; Clip 1; Reload 4 Full; Blast [3], Proven [5]

Earthshaker Cannon, High Explosive Shells
    20km; S/-/-; 6d10 X; Pen 8; Clip 1; Reload 4 Full; Blast [20], Proven [3], Concussive [6], Indirect, Inaccurate
    Earthshaker Cannon, Phosphex Shells
    20km; S/-/-; 2d10+5 E; Pen 4; Clip 1; Reload 4 Full; Blast [20], Concussive [6], Toxic [2], Indirect, Flame, Inaccurate

*I should stop using the Codex as a monster manual.
    **Points cost is not a valid means of balancing encounters.
    ***An 1850 point army is not a balanced encounter.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

From the current game:

*May not let my Chronic Hero Syndrome override my extreme paranoia, especially in the face of the most powerful Enchantment magic anyone in the party has ever seen.
    **When presented with the perfectly sensible plan of ignoring the creepy abandoned town under the effect of the largest Enchantment spell the party has ever seen and just going around it to continue with our perfectly-straightforward bounty-hunting quest, should do that.

*May not spend game time just to insult the cooking skill of the prisoner we already betrayed, shot in the back, and tortured, and whom we are currently hauling cross-country to turn in for a bounty.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Halfling in the Playground

* Hijacking the cleric's natural twenty preaching roll using psionic dominate and making him preach about my god is bad form
    * Using psionic dominate to interrogate an old man about he vampires that force him to act as a sentry and then executing him is bad form
    * Abusing my DM's knowledge of WBL guidelines to make myself entirely too good at using psionic dominate is bad form
    * Psionic dominate is not the solution to everything
    Last edited by GiantFlyingHog; 2017-09-24 at 12:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Must stop making nyan-cat references about Port Nyanzaru.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

* If I give the players the option to roll ability scores at home, cannot get annoyed at any who don't use the chance to cheat like there's no tomorrow.

* If I've written the one-shot and given everybody electricity based weapons, cannot make half the enemies immune to electricity.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

...did you mean to post that in the "Campaign Quotes: No Context Edition" thread?
    Show

Gnomish proverb

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I may not create a whole race of monkey/human hybrids just because the party took a left turn instead of going where I had planned. Even if they (the monkeys) make good booze and live in a magical forest inside a city. Having their leader speak redneck druidic to the druid is also not ok.

No, making them playable in the future is still not acceptable... Which reminds me, I need to go to the art thread...
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I may not read several forum while in the middle of a session of shadow run
    *especially if it is to give terrible ideas for my next run

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shelledhound View Post
    I may not read several forum while in the middle of a session of shadow run
    *especially if it is to give terrible ideas for my next run
    ** Specifically, I may not browse this thread during a session of anything.
    *** Especially if I post on it during the session.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #731
    Spamalot in the Playground

* Traps requiring both hands to manipulate and disable are not to be called "Vecna-Proof Traps".
    ** It's especially poor form to joke about VPTs in Vecna's own temple.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not engage in behavior that dings my alignment from Neutral Good down to True Neutral just three sessions after the Paladin withdraws from the game.
    **When faced with a mystery, our first response should not be to interrogate the NPC via mock-executions.
    ***May not point out we're still technically not murderhobos...although again, at this point, murderhobos might have the moral high ground.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *May not engage in behavior that dings my alignment from Neutral Good down to True Neutral just three sessions after the Paladin withdraws from the game.
    **When faced with a mystery, our first response should not be to interrogate the NPC via mock-executions.
    ***May not point out we're still technically not murderhobos...although again, at this point, murderhobos might have the moral high ground.
    Hey now, that high ground is at best the height of a very large ottoman. We've not killed anyone and we did help the priest last session, though it did require the destruction of property to do so. We even halfheartedly tried to help the unconscious dwarves... though we did end up dropping them off in some random house, still passed out.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    Hey now, that high ground is at best the height of a very large ottoman. We've not killed anyone and we did help the priest last session, though it did require the destruction of property to do so. We even halfheartedly tried to help the unconscious dwarves... though we did end up dropping them off in some random house, still passed out.
    *May not be worried we're headed toward becoming yet another crazy deranged party in Talakeal's list of Bizarro World games despite our best intentions...

I mean, we're trying, but we just keep ending up taking the Jack Bauer approach to interrogating NPCs...and now I'm doing it!

I hope you can come back, Anonymouswizard. We need a Paladin, for the sake of our souls.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

I hope you can come back, Anonymouswizard. We need a Paladin, for the sake of our souls.
    Ours or our characters?

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Ours or our characters?
    Yes.

filler text to get to 10 characters.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

*May not be worried we're headed toward becoming yet another crazy deranged party in Talakeal's list of Bizarro World games despite our best intentions...

I mean, we're trying, but we just keep ending up taking the Jack Bauer approach to interrogating NPCs...and now I'm doing it!

I will if I can. But I should warn you my characters tend to fall into 'shifty mcshiftface' or 'lawful stupid', and considering this group I'd likely stray away from the latter. So I'd likely just bill you 10gp for looking the other way and healing our 'guest' after he 'falls down the stairs'. I was seriously beginning to lean towards the former when I was playing anyway, I'm really not cut out for paladins (why I was planning to take Vengence).

On the other tentacle, I actively don't murderhobo, so I'd help make sure the party tries diplomacy with people before capturing someone to torture.

Show

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Ours or our characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Yes.
    Socratov beat me to it.

I will if I can. But I should warn you my characters tend to fall into 'shifty mcshiftface' or 'lawful stupid',
    Lawful Stupid would probably help us. It might save us from ourselves. Or at least someone to remind us there's ways of doing things that don't involve waterboarding and mock-executions. Although we do try to get information without immediately going to torture, people just keep not cooperating and we end up taking more extreme measures after that fails.

and considering this group I'd likely stray away from the latter. So I'd likely just bill you 10gp for looking the other way and healing our 'guest' after he 'falls down the stairs'.
    That's how my character started down the dark path—I just left the room instead of objecting the first time, and now I'm actively carrying out mock-executions to terrify a prisoner and had to erase "Good" from my character sheet. Evil is a slippery slope. A falling pebble begets an avalanche, and all that jazz.

On the other tentacle, I actively don't murderhobo, so I'd help make sure the party tries diplomacy with people before capturing someone to torture.
    Technically we don't murderhobo at all. We have yet to actually kill any intelligent creature. The only thing we've killed so far has been the spiders and the ooze.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-09-27 at 07:51 AM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

19. - Top - End - #739
    Colossus in the Playground

*I cannot drink margaritas out of the Holy Grail.
    **I cannot justify drinking margaritas out of the holy grail by pointing out that we know for a fact that it's not the real Holy Grail and that there's more than one in the setting.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

That's how my character started down the dark path—I just left the room instead of objecting the first time, and now I'm actively carrying out mock-executions to terrify a prisoner and had to erase "Good" from my character sheet. Evil is a slippery slope. A falling pebble begets an avalanche, and all that jazz.
    Look man, you can either struggle up the slippery slope and fight it all the way, or you can whip out crazy carpet and enjoy the ride to the base.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Look man, you can either struggle up the slippery slope and fight it all the way, or you can whip out crazy carpet and enjoy the ride to the base.
    I tried to help a town full of people under a spell even though it wasn't our problem and had nothing to do with our current objectives "because it was the right thing to do." Partly to try and move us back toward heroism after how things went down before. We'll help people and be heroes. Something to feel good about this time. I ended up torturing a man with mock-execution and abandoning the town to its fate.

It's like Spec Ops: The Line. I keep going into things with good intentions, and end up doing horrible things and growing steadily more unhinged and violent.

Maybe if I go into something wanting to be evil I'll end up saving an orphanage and adopting a puppy.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

22. - Top - End - #742

The slippery slope can slide the other way too.

It starts of benign, like clandestinely supporting a popular rebellion against the crown, but before you know it you're running a soup kitchen!
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe if I go into something wanting to be evil I'll end up saving an orphanage and adopting a puppy.
    well you see what you do is, you remember that your a selfish person, and that people are inherently selfish. so if you want to do something good, you have to make people make you do something selfless for selfish reasons, for their own selfish gain by you being selfless for your selfish gain. because see, you screwed yourself here, you could've freed the town from the spell and made them give you a reward or something for your efforts, or put them in your debt for a later favor. now you may ask what could a little town of normal people possibly help you with as a favor? who knows, but at least you'll have an entire town of people to call on a favor for something, and it might be useful at some point.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #744
    Colossus in the Playground

*I eventually need to make a freeform RPG character that isn't a hybrid of multible power sources/races/things.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

*Am never again to create an adventure based on overthrowing an Evil Overlord who is intensely aware of the Evil Overlord list.
    **When the PCs enter a fake negotiation with the Overlord's Lieutenant in an attempt to gain access to the Overlord's stronghold, I'm not to be surprised when they fail to have a good cover story about why they're offering their help to him.
    ***Am not to be surprised when the teenage girl playing a Dulcinea-type character in a chain-mail bikini immediately tries to kiss the Overlord's Lieutenant as cover.
    ****Am fully allowed to respond by having the wizard, who sitting overhead with the snipers, casting hold person on her.
    *****Making the Overlord a more rounded character is fine. Having the PCs' first contact with him be Grandpa Charles reading a story to his five-year-old granddaughter is not what they had in mind.
    ******Having the sentence "Could you at least explain to my granddaughter why you need to kill her dear Grampa?" be a signal for the granddaughter to pull the lever for the alligator pit was just low, even though it worked perfectly in catching the PCs off guard.
    *******Giving Overlord Charles an emergency transport ring with the keyword "Flibbertigibbet" is, however, perfectly reasonable, especially considering the response that it got from the party's tank.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

I tried to help a town full of people under a spell even though it wasn't our problem and had nothing to do with our current objectives "because it was the right thing to do." Partly to try and move us back toward heroism after how things went down before. We'll help people and be heroes. Something to feel good about this time. I ended up torturing a man with mock-execution and abandoning the town to its fate.

It's like Spec Ops: The Line. I keep going into things with good intentions, and end up doing horrible things and growing steadily more unhinged and violent.

I wish I hadn't had to leave, this is starting to sound like an interesting campaign.

Plus it looks like if I do come back in I'll need a new character, the old one just woul. A Death/Grave Cleric would be good, but I don't have the DMG and I don't think Grave is official yet.

Plus you evil bard! That puppy belonged to a little boy who'll never see Mr Woofy again!

* May not adopt every bat I see.

Show

27. - Top - End - #747

DrowGuy

*weapon proficiency (wedgies) does not exist.
    ** neither does (galleon), (warship), or (building).
    * there is no combat manoeuver dedicated to keel-hauling, wedgies, flagpole pantsing, or groin attacks.
    *no more spiking the dm's drink with chili peppers (even if he dared me to do it in the first place).
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

*weapon proficiency (wedgies) does not exist.
    ** neither does (galleon), (warship), or (building).
    ***Neither does (battering ram), (grand piano), (falling rocks), (falling roks), (corpses), or (vibrator), for that matter.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #749

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ***Neither does (battering ram), (grand piano), (falling rocks), (falling roks), (corpses), or (vibrator), for that matter.
    uh, technically, "weapon proficiency (battering ram)" falls under "weapon proficiency (siege engines)". so for once, it's doable, if highly unoptimized. and isn't "weapon proficiency (corpses)" just being a bog-standard necromancer?

... "weapon proficiency (grand piano)" is pretty much a jerry lee lewis-inspired bard, hulking hurlers covers the falling rocks, a ranger/druid-dipped hurler covers the roks (or is that "rocs"?), and you've clearly underestimated the book of erotic fantasy for that last one (vibroblades notwithstanding).

ok, so you're right on the others, there's no weapon proficiency per se, but it's pretty much doable. still, i like the way you think. only fight better than overkill is one that goes full looney tunes on the bad guy.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

uh, technically, "weapon proficiency (battering ram)" falls under "weapon proficiency (siege engines)". so for once, it's doable, if highly unoptimized. and isn't "weapon proficiency (corpses)" just being a bog-standard necromancer?

... "weapon proficiency (grand piano)" is pretty much a jerry lee lewis-inspired bard, hulking hurlers covers the falling rocks, a ranger/druid-dipped hurler covers the roks (or is that "rocs"?), and you've clearly underestimated the book of erotic fantasy for that last one (vibroblades notwithstanding).

ok, so you're right on the others, there's no weapon proficiency per se, but it's pretty much doable. still, i like the way you think. only fight better than overkill is one that goes full looney tunes on the bad guy.
    I was picturing most of these being used as improvised bludgeoning weapons actually.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.