New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    **Even if the character is a cleric of the OD&D version of St. Cuthbert, who was a strong proponent of (to quote Gary Gygax) "pounding sense into someone's head by dint of blows from a club."
    i knew i should've praised st. cuthbert instead of pelor... that was typical behavior for my cleric/rsop, along with verbal lambasting. can retroactively explain why he was considered heretical, though....

*if playing during a belle-epoque steampunk/alternative history, not allowed to use my knowledge of the franco-prussian war of 1870-1871 to boot the krauts out of metz.
    **if my officer's name contains more letters than twice the alphabet, it's banned (even if that was typical naming convention)
    ***no naming my officer after erotic illustrators from the period.
    ****no naming my officer after firearms manufacturers to get a discount. (lieutenant paul-avril-henri-auguste-ernestin lefaucheux-delvigne is right out)
    *****... EVEN IF IT'S UNDER THE CHARACTER COUNT SPECIFIED ABOVE!
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    * Not allowed to bring the serial killer home.
    ** No matter how tragic his backstory is.
    *** Not even if he probably fits in better in your world than his.
    **** Also not allowed to "sibling adopt" the serial killer.
    *****the same applies if the serial killer is a little girl.
    ******Especially if the serial killer is Jack the Ripper or Bonesaw.
    ******* I can not roleplay in the Fate/ or Worm setting anymore.

I know they're monsters, but they're just so cute and tragic. I just want to hug them and wrap them and blankets and spoon feed them warm soup.

*when roleplaying in JoJo, I can't be the one guy who insists on having Ripple instead of a Stand.
    **My Stand can not give me Ripple.
    ***I can not name my Stand after one of the themes of the anime.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*My character cannot claim to be a "professional troubleshooter," as in "when there's trouble, I shoot it. *loads crossbow*"
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

4. - Top - End - #64

DrowGuy

*My character cannot claim to be a "professional troubleshooter," as in "when there's trouble, I shoot it. *loads crossbow*"
    (that one is awesome!)

**neither can my character be an expeditor, as in he expedites problems. usually out of a window.
    *problem-solving CAN be non-violent.
    ** accidental placing of anti-tank mines counts as violent, too.
    *** there is no "stun" setting on anti-tank mines.
    **** anti-tank mines on civilians? overkill.
    ***** just because it's expeditive, not allowed to replace the boss' doormat with a couple spare kilos of anti-tank mines and wait at the local bar until i hear a boom. that would collapse a city-block (again...)
    *despite alcohol being a solution, it usually involves drinking it. not dousing a giant monster in it and throwing a lit cigar.
    **completely unrelated to the above, i'm preemptively banned from taking proffession "brewer" or "distiller".
    *** spiritseers are not drunk enough to see the plot.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Man, I've made that joke so many times. I even plan to use it as the campaign brief for my eventual Eclipse Phase game, just to get across that the players are going to be allowed to go a tad overboard in the collateral damage.

* I may not pet the TITAN kill droid.
    ** 'Finds murderbots cute' is no longer a valid quirk.
    *** My last eight characters are the reason.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Spamalot in the Playground

* The king of Fantasy Scandinavia is not a timelord.
    ** No you do not hear drums coming from the king 's tomb.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

*** May not offer the king a jelly baby, even if I'm certain he's rather fond of them.
    **** May not reference oldWho at all.
    ***** May certainly not get my Time Lords in a twist (confused, shipped, or anything other meaning I can bastardise into the word).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    (that one is awesome!)
    Man, I've made that joke so many times. I even plan to use it as the campaign brief for my eventual Eclipse Phase game, just to get across that the players are going to be allowed to go a tad overboard in the collateral damage.
    I was trying to set it up as my character's sort of introduction-catchphrase, my equivalent to Madmartigan's "Greatest swordsman in the world," that The Spoony One stole homaged for his absurdly-lucky bard, Tandem the Spoony. It apparently wore pretty thin on the DM eventually, after I introduced myself that way to too many NPCs. Said DM may also be a little aggravated with my bard in general, because I've over-optimized him a bit.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

* "Take over Norway" is not the solution for every apocalypse-survival plan.
    ** No, it still doesn't apply if Norway has previously fallen to hostile military coup.
    *** Orchestrating the coup ourselves and then faking our deaths before setting up a free and fair democracy with our alternate identities in charge is just a hack.
    **** I'm not allowed to brainstorm ways to take over countries anymore.

* If my PC is, functionally, a more introverted and socially-awkward version of myself, they're banned.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

10. - Top - End - #70

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    **** I'm not allowed to brainstorm ways to take over countries anymore.
    **** poland is the exception to this rule.
    ***** if by some miracle you do manage to take over poland, the dm must slow-clap you (and revise his power level)
    ****** no, the soundtrack to invade poland to is not made up exclusively of rammstein and wagner. there's some kmfdm in there as well...

(seriously, that country has been invaded at least 29 times in 1000 years by my count. taking it over is a real challenge even for epic-level characters. don't screw with the poles)

*no wreaking havoc on the magnetic field of the earth.
    ** especially to make a pun due to invading a certain country!!
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*If I have Expertise in Persuasion and Deception, may not attempt to solve every problem with a +2 hand crossbow.
    **If I have Expertise in Persuasion and Deception, I may not keep rolling high enough on them that I never use my +2 hand crossbow.
    ***May not complain about the inconsistency.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

*If I have Expertise in Persuasion and Deception, may not attempt to solve every problem with a +2 hand crossbow.
    **If I have Expertise in Persuasion and Deception, I may not keep rolling high enough on them that I never use my +2 hand crossbow.
    ***May not complain about the inconsistency.
    **** May not suggest you solve this problem by naming your +2 hand crossbow 'Persuasion and Deception'.

What? That name wasn't banned in the previous list(s).

* There is never a valid reason to carry more than a gram of grey goo, active or inactive.
    ** My contingency plans should leave the biosphere alone.
    *** The fact that I can carry it in a backpack is no excuse.

* There is such a thing as overkill.

* May not be a better campaign villain than the actual one.
    ** I do lawful evil too well.

Show

13. - Top - End - #73

DrowGuy

* There is such a thing as overkill.
    ** we just have to find it next time.
    *** regarding dakka... nope, nope nope. guizonde is not to be allowed in a 100 meter radius of any full-auto capable weapon. ever again.

(i swear, you do one chain of 17 critical hits in a row with a gatling gun and everyone calls you out for being thorough and emptying the team's ammo allocation in one attack...)
    Last edited by Guizonde; 2017-04-29 at 09:44 PM.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I may not say the point of having minions is to deal with problems we may have so the PC's don't have too...

... Apparently :/
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

*May not combine an emotion control aura with a skill theft aura.
    **Regardless of literary precedent, "Everyone likes her because she's better than them at everything" is not a reasonable character archetype.
    ***Especially if she's only better because her aura debuffs them!
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-04-30 at 12:38 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

** I cannot have more power than I can carry in a backpack.
    *** Not allowed to put sunshine in a bag, whether by using compact fusion or by miniaturizing a literal star.
    **** Carrying around Princess Celestia in a backpack is acceptable. If you manage to make her get in the bag and lift it, anyway.

* May not cause the setting to be overtaken by ponies, memes, drawn musical bands, or all of the above.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*If my henchman is named Ensign Redshirt, I should not go to absurd lengths to ensure he never takes so much as a single hit point of damage (while my actual character gets absolutely mauled).
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-04-30 at 08:09 AM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

*If my henchman is named Ensign Redshirt, I should not go to absurd lengths to ensure he never takes so much as a single hit point of damage (while my actual character gets absolutely mauled).
    I just wish this PC was called 'Captain Commandgold', or something similar.

* The difference between an energy source and a grenade is not whether or not I'm holding it.

* The solution to 'nudity creeps other people out' is to put some clothes on, not manipulate my genetics so the naughty bits disappear.
    ** My next time traveller must leave either the lack of a nudity taboo or the supertech at home.

* I cannot flirt with the GM.
    ** Certainly not until I've successfully learnt to flirt.

Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    *** this goes double when we're in character and s/he's roleplaying an NPC of the opposite gender.
    Of course it's in character, the only GM I've had that I'd be willing to flirt with is married so he's off the table. Not that he or his wife would have a problem with us doing it IC, no matter the gender of the PCs or NPCs (the group is at least 50% bi/pan, with at least one gender identity of '**** your categories').

* If at any point I can best be described as a lovecraftian entity I should stop.
    ** 'Become the universe's first sufficiently advance alien' is no longer a valid motivation.

* Must stop insisting that hive minds are people too.

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

*Salanta delicate disk should never be cast through shadow conjuration.
    **Even if it is 100% legal in the rules.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

* No longer allowed to sheninagan "Lesser Planar Ally" as a 3rd level spell castable at 8th level.
    * Even if it's technically true (Pathfinder Psychic with the Rebirth Discipline) declaring "I was a necromancer in a past life! I can fix him!" is probably not the best way to handle the near death of the barbarian.
    * Just because the spell "Explode Head" does not have the Evil tag does not mean it doesn't cause the entire battle to stop when you psychically detonate a guy's head and slice up his friends with the bone fragments.
    * There is no such thing as "developing an allergy to detect evil" and I cannot ask that it not be cast on me without getting funny looks. Especially after blowing up someone's head.
    * If I defend my head exploding ways with "well, it was that or force him to fight his literal worst nightmare until it killed him.", I should probably expect detect Evil.
    * Should not stick my tongue out because Phantasmal Killer still doesn't have the Evil tag.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

*I may not start gloating while DMing an adventure involving fey riddles
    *If any of my locations conform to the Tardis Rule, they are now henceforth banned.
    *If moving inside of the location involves random locations, the location is banned
    *Hags, are banned
    **Doubly so if they resemble Switzerland and nag the party on their effectiveness.
    ***No, giving technically sound advice does not invalidate the point above if the advice is barely usable.
    *No more Fey.
    *And don't even think about Gnomes...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not let the thread go so long without a post it ends up off the front page.

*My bard does not, in fact, have to dress like a pompous rich fop for his spells to work.
    **It is not in the PHB.
    ***It is not in the errata either.
    ****Nor is in in Sage Advice.
    *****Mike Mearls didn't tweet it.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

* Not allowed to take a flaw to represent the delusion that my bard must dress as a pompous rich fop for his magic to work.
    * Not allowed to play a human Alchemist raised by Gnomes. Especially if Pathfinder allows it.
    * Not allowed to play a druid raised by ocelots. Despite precedent.

25. - Top - End - #85

DrowGuy

*the beatstick can no longer tame wild animals by supplexing them and saying "stop! bad critter!".
    ** despite the dice saying so.
    *** if he tamed the velociraptor pack's alpha, we can't name it "beta".
    **** we can't get more attached to "beta" than to most npc's.
    ***** this goes for all animal companions we pick up along the way. (including underpaid security guards, rogue electricians, random children, foxes...)

*just because i said i'd name my character in an npc's honor after a heroic sacrifice, i can't do it again.
    ** "frankalice" is already a long name. no need to add to its length by adding names and titles.
    *** what's with you and doctors with oddball names and too many titles? we'll only end up calling them "doc".
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

* My female druid may not be raised by Hyenas
    ** Or by giant Whiptail Lizards
    *** my aquatic female druid cannot be raised by anglerfish.
    **** Or seahorses.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

*My bard does not, in fact, have to dress like a pompous rich fop for his spells to work.
    **It is not in the PHB.
    ***It is not in the errata either.
    ****Nor is in in Sage Advice.
    *****Mike Mearls didn't tweet it.
    * It is certainly not a requirement for my cleric.
    ** Despite any 'real world precedence' I can come up with.

* Even if it's rules legal in 3.5, cannot play a cleric who devoutly worships agnosticism.
    ** Transhumanism is definitely banned.
    *** As are determinism, deceit, communism, and the big bang.

* Even if all evidence points towards it being the winning team, cannot begin worshipping the Elder Gods.
    ** Especially cannot begin the game worshipping the Elder Gods. With the Cleric class and Accolyte background.
    *** Warlocks are not wimps for only dealing with Great Old Ones. Which in my experience is just the most popular pact, while I like the Infernal Pact for it being classic everyone seems to go for Cthulhu.

* Cannot sterilise the bard.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

* It is certainly not a requirement for my cleric.
    ** Despite any 'real world precedence' I can come up with.

* Even if it's rules legal in 3.5, cannot play a cleric who devoutly worships agnosticism.
    ** Transhumanism is definitely banned.
    *** As are determinism, deceit, communism, and the big bang.
    I'd have thought Deceit would be allowed for a Trickery-domain cleric...

*Nietzschean clerics of the Will to Power and/or the Übermensch are right out.

* Cannot sterilise the bard.
    **The reason the bard can't be sterilized may not be that worldwide population growth would decline too steeply as a result, leading to economic catastrophe.
    ***Nor may the reason be that doing so would constitute a form of genocide against the world's population of half-humans.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

**The reason the bard can't be sterilized may not be that worldwide population growth would decline too steeply as a result, leading to economic catastrophe.
    ***Nor may the reason be that doing so would constitute a form of genocide against the world's population of half-humans.
    *** It is certainly not that sterilising bards would lead to the royal family becoming even more inbred.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90

*** It is certainly not that sterilising bards would lead to the royal family becoming even more inbred.
    **** Changing the bard's sex will either have a similar effect or make things A LOT WORSE.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!