New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    With such a DM, who needs PC's?
    it's a rogue trader game where i'm playing a storm-trooper who was on cadia when the planet broke. my motivation is revenge. the dm's response:

"so, you're shooting the enemies of the imperium until your hellgun goes click? well, that's why you need to work as a merc! ammo costs money, and you won't be shooting the enemies of the imperium with an empty gun, so you need to kill to buy ammo to kill more!"

i like this dm!
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

2. - Top - End - #902

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    ***** if i ever need to use a field implement n°970 to dig a hole, i should just shoot a few hellrounds into the ground and drop a grenade.

... incidentally, i like how this dm thinks.
    And that sounds oddly like Maxim 44: If it will blow a hole in the ground, it will double as an entrenching tool.

If your newly-minted Cadian merc hasn't encountered the Maxims yet, it might be worth your while to familiarize yourself with them- they are surprisingly applicable to life in the 40k universe

3. - Top - End - #903

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    And that sounds oddly like Maxim 44: If it will blow a hole in the ground, it will double as an entrenching tool.

If your newly-minted Cadian merc hasn't encountered the Maxims yet, it might be worth your while to familiarize yourself with them- they are surprisingly applicable to life in the 40k universe
    38th mirepoix heavy drop infantry, actually. i'm going to check it out right now. about time i quit dodging doing it! thanks!
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Now all we need is a complete list of all 285 rules of acquisition and then we'll have the ultimate mercenary guidebook.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

5. - Top - End - #905

it's a rogue trader game where i'm playing a storm-trooper who was on cadia when the planet broke. my motivation is revenge. the dm's response:

"so, you're shooting the enemies of the imperium until your hellgun goes click? well, that's why you need to work as a merc! ammo costs money, and you won't be shooting the enemies of the imperium with an empty gun, so you need to kill to buy ammo to kill more!"

i like this dm!
    Or, you know, leave your power clips/hot-shot power pack out in the sun/plug them in.

More relevantly, a drop trooper doesn't have a voidship.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

6. - Top - End - #906

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    Or, you know, leave your power clips/hot-shot power pack out in the sun/plug them in.

More relevantly, a drop trooper doesn't have a voidship.
    you're right. unfortunately, according to rogue trader, hellpacks degrade a lot faster than even hotshot packs. i've currently got 80 shots, and not one more. seeing the price of a back-mounted hellpack, i'll be working as a merc for a bit longer. which segues into:

i don't own a voidship, i'm "hired muscle" for the voidmaster who's ever so slightly jinxed by luck. (off the record, i'm sent by the ordo xenos to keep watch on a couple of sworn xeno mercs that are rumored to be in the sector. part grunt, part axe-man, if you will).

it seems to me to be a shared universe between 3-4 dms, some playing dark heresy, some playing rogue trader with the official tau supplement. they needed a guy who could shoot and be knowledgeable about the imperial guard and the fall of cadia. i've been playing guard since 1998, so i guess i fit the bill.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

* "The misunderstood poetry of my soul!" is not a valid reason to do something.
    ** In fact, if a certain course of action appeals to the poetry of my soul, the opposite course of action is likely the appropriate one.
    *** I may not, when the GM makes a rules call not in my favor, yell "you're not my real dad!" This is doubly true if doing so would appeal to the misunderstood poetry of my soul.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2017-11-20 at 02:40 PM.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

8. - Top - End - #908

*may not drink and DM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeze View Post
    ** In fact, if a certain course of action appeals to the poetry of my soul, the opposite course of action is likely the appropriate one.
    *** I may not, when the GM makes a rules call not in my favor, yell "you're not my real dad!" This is doubly true if doing so would appeal to the misunderstood poetry of my soul.
    Zibarro disagrees
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*At no point in the game should anyone have any reason to quote any part of the WKRP Thanksgiving episode.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

11. - Top - End - #911

DrowGuy

*not allowed to abuse my inquisitorial status to get everyone drunk.
    **there is no spell called "summon mass wine".
    ***even if there was, it would only be one dose of consecrated good stuff.
    ****willfully misinterpreting wording for the sake of humor is only tolerated up to a point.

*sanctifying potatoes to make holy vodka is not covered by either the dmg or the phb.
    **neither is sanctifying potatoes to give them a bonus on hitting evil things.
    ***the plot is not "chaotic evil" aligned. stop asking.
    **** i've now lost my "sanctify X" privileges.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*not allowed to abuse my inquisitorial status to get everyone drunk.
    **there is no spell called "summon mass wine".
    ***even if there was, it would only be one dose of consecrated good stuff.
    ****willfully misinterpreting wording for the sake of humor is only tolerated up to a point.

*sanctifying potatoes to make holy vodka is not covered by either the dmg or the phb.
    **neither is sanctifying potatoes to give them a bonus on hitting evil things.
    ***the plot is not "chaotic evil" aligned. stop asking.
    **** i've now lost my "sanctify X" privileges.
    *May not cite precedent for the above sanctification.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-11-24 at 04:11 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

13. - Top - End - #913

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    believe it or not, i hadn't seen that scene for nigh on 15 years. "mel brooks" may become my go-to excuse for my inquisitor's rather... eccentric behavior. thank you.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

14. - Top - End - #914
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeze View Post
    May I sig this?

* if my character's dice pools rival an Exalt in a game other than Exalted, I have forfeited all rights to complain about how many people shoot at me. Especially if they continue to miss.
    ** I am discouraged from cackling madly every time the GM's face falls when I announce my action for the round. Especially if it is Summon giant fiendish spider who immediately webs the fleeing baddie.
    *** Despite a precedent, I am not to remark, "what weird way will he die?" When I meet a werewolf. It frightens the new players and GM and forces the older players to laugh uncontrollably.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Ah man, I love that movie even though I know it's not one of his best.

* There is no reason to start singing Mel Brook's Spanish Inquisition song during any game of Dark Heresy.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

17. - Top - End - #917

Devil

* The gish may not neutralize two thirds of the Big-bad's offensive capability with a buff that lets us heal off of negative energy.
    ** No longer allowed to eyeball the results of the Big-Bad's homebrew magical debuff aura and signature effect that the DM things is very cool, think about it for one round, and then use it in conjunction with a single, defensive, non-violent spell that was never meant to be used this way to sever the Big-Bad's soul from his body. (No save.)
    Spoiler: The Details
    Show
    Pathfinder: This guy was one of five secondary bosses in a campaign that's been running for 4 years now and probably has 2 more years left in it, so all of the secondary bosses are big bads. They're all devotees of the four Horsemen, with this one being the Deacon of Charon (death). They all can go uber with signature special powers. In this case (and this is the first we discovered it), he can create an aura around the entire battlefield that makes time outside pass much faster than time inside (essentially slowing us all down while his allies got a free day), blocked teleportation and communication, and also had a very weird effect of making everyone's spirits trail behind their bodies, with their bodies invisible and their spirits invulnerable. We had to guess (or hear, or something) where his body was to know which square to attack. The spirits following around were just echoing the movements and actions of the body from last round, letting us know where he had been but not where he was now. It's all very much a time-themed effect, and spellcraft / knowledge checks have let us know that the souls are less separated in physical space and more lagging behind in time.

Me: "Okay, I cast Resilient Sphere."
    DM: "Okay. You're now protected by a -"
    Me: "No, not on me. On his spirit."
    DM: "..... uh...."
    Player 1: "Wait, what does that do?"
    Me: "Encases his spirit in a hermetically sealed bubble, preventing it from following his body around."
    DM: "... huh."
    Player 2: "Won't the spirit just fly through it?"
    Me: "No, it's a force effect, and those stop ghosts from flying through, so..."
    DM: "..."
    Player 1: "Okay, so the spirit CAN'T echo his move action from last round?"
    Me: "Nope!"
    DM: "...."
    Player 2: "He gets a reflex save to keep from being trapped, though."
    Me: "Nope! His body didn't make a reflex save last round, so his spirit doesn't get to do any fancy dodging ducking and weaving either."
    DM: "....."
    Player 2: "So this created a time paradox. His past can't do what his present already did, and can't get out of it by doing something his present already didn't."
    Me: "Yup!"
    DM: "......"
    Player 1: ".... so, wait, what does that do?"
    Me: "I have no idea what it's going to do to him, but it's going to do SOMETHING."
    DM: "...... you cheeky bastard."
    *** Following the Big Bad gaining a massive houseruled debuff from this (from activating a previously-prepared one-round-reset power) and losing over half his hit points (all in one go), may not override the DM's control over the Big Bad so as to demand he make a wisdom check "for common sense" to realize that I can cast that same spell 7 more times today if the Big Bad moves from his present spot.

* I may not just keep casting Web spell to neutralize the colossal vault guardian with a lousy reflex save by forcing it to keep spending every action breaking free of the web spell.
    ** Because we're fighting in a gravity-free void with only a single anchor point in the portal we used to get here and the web spell needs to be strung between two solid objects.
    *** May not use a wall of force just so I have something else to anchor a web spell to.

* A tree sprouted in the middle of this void by a feather token (tree) will not actually stop a charge by this colossal monster.
    ** No, I CANNOT cast Telekinesis on the tree that's hurtling around the empty void like a loose cannon. That spell has a limit of 25 pounds and the tree masses more than that.
    *** Why, yes, this is a zero-gravity void. The DM has already been very clear on this?
    **** Rules as Written does, in fact, say that this is a WEIGHT limit rather than a MASS limit. But the DM thinks that the spirit of the rule is more in keeping with...
    ***** You know what? I AM allowed to do this. The DM wants to see it blow up in my face.
    Last edited by Reltzik; 2017-11-30 at 03:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Colossus in the Playground

*I cannot play a character that is best described as "basically Doctor Stegron" unless it's an evil campaign.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

*Perform(memes) is not allowed.
    **No, not even for a Bard.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    *Perform(memes) is not allowed.
    **No, not even for a Bard.
    *** My Bard may not invent an entire martial arts style based on references or cosplay
    **** Nor can they invent a martial arts style based on memes.
    ***** May not refuse fusing to become stronger fighting said BBEG because "I don't want my first time to be rushed and I should at least buy you dinner first."
    ****** May not defeat the BBEG with some eight year old goat kid's rainbow mary sue godsona
    ******* May not derail the campaign using nothing but undertale references
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #921

* The elf druid's name is not L'or'ax, and he does not speak for the trees.
    -----

* Doesn't matter what my Willpower is, my Astropath Transcendant should not respond to an attempt to possess her by possessing the demon instead.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    * The elf druid's name is not L'or'ax, and he does not speak for the trees.
    -----

* Doesn't matter what my Willpower is, my Astropath Transcendant should not respond to an attempt to possess her by possessing the demon instead.
    *May not, after possessing a demon, possess yourself with the spirit of the possessed demon and create an infinite loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

*May not, as an Immortal Mystic with rolled stats, outclass the Barbarian in hit points and the paladin in AC.
    **May not walk into traps with said character so that the other members know exactly what it is, and how to disable it.

*May not, after hearing from the DM that “the walls are listening”, tell the walls to **** off.
    **May not continue to make rude comments directed at the walls for over an hour.

24. - Top - End - #924

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    *May not, as an Immortal Mystic with rolled stats, outclass the Barbarian in hit points and the paladin in AC.
    **May not walk into traps with said character so that the other members know exactly what it is, and how to disable it.

*May not, after hearing from the DM that “the walls are listening”, tell the walls to **** off.
    **May not continue to make rude comments directed at the walls for over an hour.
    the good ol' "toss a teammate into the trap to figure it out" trick is usually frowned upon by dm's who spend a lot of time thinking up new traps... unfortunately, it usually is the most expeditive solution when one is lacking either goats, corpses or explosives.

also,

*** may not hurl abuse at walls, ceilings, or gravity, despite unwittingly being the only guy that defies the laws of physics accidentally. (5 different characters, 10 years, i'm the only one who accidentally wall-jumps due to damage or explosions).
    **** "aw come on! looney tunes did it!" is not a good justification for a stunt.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

the good ol' "toss a teammate into the trap to figure it out" trick is usually frowned upon by dm's who spend a lot of time thinking up new traps... unfortunately, it usually is the most expeditive solution when one is lacking either goats, corpses or explosives.
    At one of my tables we have a suit of discarded chainmail rolled into a ball that we throw ahead of us to test for traps.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not miss the game because I'm the only other person in the family with a pickup truck with a sufficient towing package to pull a farm-tractor when a relative's truck breaks down.
    **May not post to this thread while stopped for gas on the highway.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

* Cannot spend my evening helping my girlfriend make a D&D character for a game she might join.

I feel sorrow for the French roleplaying scene, which is about to get a Dragonborn Sorcerer with a great arse (she was insistent on that detail) played by a crazy girl dropped into one group. In return I told her the kind of character I'll play in my next campaign, Ovelon Nigel Hornsby Wiers (the W is pronounced as a V), the gnomish priest who's main class is barbarian and wields a spear.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

28. - Top - End - #928

DrowGuy

* Cannot spend my evening helping my girlfriend make a D&D character for a game she might join.

I feel sorrow for the French roleplaying scene, which is about to get a Dragonborn Sorcerer with a great arse (she was insistent on that detail) played by a crazy girl dropped into one group. In return I told her the kind of character I'll play in my next campaign, Ovelon Nigel Hornsby Wiers (the W is pronounced as a V), the gnomish priest who's main class is barbarian and wields a spear.
    oh lord, i don't know if i want to witness this or run away. any chance you're in the south west? i've actually stumbled on to a gaming club that has at least 30 members, meaning that my city is pretty active in the pen and paper scene.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

oh lord, i don't know if i want to witness this or run away. any chance you're in the south west? i've actually stumbled on to a gaming club that has at least 30 members, meaning that my city is pretty active in the pen and paper scene.
    I'm in the south east of England, London specifically, there might be a roleplaying scene near here but I haven't found a club yet, and my girlfriend (gotta stop calling her that if I want to live) lives in Paris (although I've got no idea as to where yet, not visiting her for another month and a bit) and potentially has a friend with a group. It's actually been a bit of a chore to convince her that I don't have to be there for her to try roleplaying again (she wants to, but might be more socially awkward than me).

* May not have a telescopic spear.
    ** There is something wrong if my gnome's inventions work.
    *** Especially because I've written 'burnt off' under hair.

Show

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

* May not have a telescopic spear.
    ** There is something wrong if my gnome's inventions work.
    *** Especially because I've written 'burnt off' under hair.
    In 3.5, there's at least one spear that can shift from shortspear to spear to longspear. I think it's in Races of the Dragon. I'd say that counts!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.