New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 anyone?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dota 2 anyone?

So I play this MOBA based game dota 2 which is the biggest online game and has the biggest esports prize poll, but never saw thread related to dota. If anyone of you know about it or want to check it out please reply I would love to talk about it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Dota 2 anyone?

We had one a few years ago, but not many people participated. I haven't played in a year or so now, but I still watch streams sometimes while I'm doing homework or something. Used to hover around upper 4k to low 5k when I played.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Dota players are busy playing and have no time to comment in a thread.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I play Dota 2 here and there, but after a bit it gets boring. I don't feel like there's a lot of skill involved unless you like planning out all your items and reflex battles. Pudge is the closest I get to being a sniper that leads the shot. After a while it just becomes the same deal over and over. I lament that my 32 bit computer cannot run the now 64 bit Planetside 2.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sabashahid View Post
    So I play this MOBA based game dota 2 which is the biggest online game and has the biggest esports prize poll, but never saw thread related to dota. If anyone of you know about it or want to check it out please reply I would love to talk about it.
    I have mostly played league, although not regularly recently. I think I have still played more dota then dota2, and I haven't played that for 8 years

I almost started playing a bit when day9 started his dota series, but I have been traveling in europe for a while, so not the best place to start trying to pick up a competitive game. And looking forward other games are going to be more interesting, D3 necro and starcraft remastered specifically. So I probably won't end up starting it. Although if a big GitP community starts up I might start playing some.

Also I think lol is still more played, and think it very likely that hearthstone also has a larger playerbase.
    But I am having a hard time finding any real info on it, this is what I have found, which doesn't strike me as the most likely to be accurate. This one seems better and says the same thing. One thing about the prize pool, while dota2 has the biggest single event I think LoL, and maybe CSGO end up having more money in the entire system yearly.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I play Dota 2 here and there, but after a bit it gets boring. I don't feel like there's a lot of skill involved unless you like planning out all your items and reflex battles. Pudge is the closest I get to being a sniper that leads the shot. After a while it just becomes the same deal over and over. I lament that my 32 bit computer cannot run the now 64 bit Planetside 2.
    Interesting, I've not heard this before. Dota is generally considered to have a very steep learning curve, complex mechanics, and the better players nearly alway win any sort of 1v1. I'm not going to randomly take a game off Miracle or Dendi anytime soon, and I'm a pretty decent player.

Dota is definitely not the most played game. LoL is way bigger, and though Riot fudges their numbers, (a LoL player ran a program to track all players in games played, and it arrived at a much smaller number than advertised) it is still quite a bit more popular. Dota does have the biggest esports prize totals though, and I find it to be way more interesting than League and other contemporaries. I also find Riot to be rather evil, but mayhap that's drifting off topic.

A GitP channel for inhouse games would be pretty fun. I play with a couple of other posters that I went to uni with.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I play Dota 2 here and there, but after a bit it gets boring. I don't feel like there's a lot of skill involved unless you like planning out all your items and reflex battles. Pudge is the closest I get to being a sniper that leads the shot.
    Dota 2 has several strategy layers. It sounds like you're not thinking much about some of them.

You seem well aware of the fighting and execution layer.

Pudge is the easy entry point to the vision and initiation layer. He obviously takes advantage of cases where he can see an enemy hero but not the other way around by hooking them and starting a fight with a large advantage as a result. But the principles are more general, and safely warding and scouting becomes important as players understand that.

Even broader than that is the time advantage and map control level. Kill enemies, threaten to kill them or force them to defend a tower from creeps and they can't scout or ward. Draw out their Town Portal scroll and they're stuck in one part of the map. This leads to a chess-y layer where teams try to take towers and neutral camps without a fight because the other team cannot respond in time, or to take 5v3 fights when part of the other team can't assist.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Dota 2 has several strategy layers. It sounds like you're not thinking much about some of them.

You seem well aware of the fighting and execution layer.

Pudge is the easy entry point to the vision and initiation layer. He obviously takes advantage of cases where he can see an enemy hero but not the other way around by hooking them and starting a fight with a large advantage as a result. But the principles are more general, and safely warding and scouting becomes important as players understand that.

Even broader than that is the time advantage and map control level. Kill enemies, threaten to kill them or force them to defend a tower from creeps and they can't scout or ward. Draw out their Town Portal scroll and they're stuck in one part of the map. This leads to a chess-y layer where teams try to take towers and neutral camps without a fight because the other team cannot respond in time, or to take 5v3 fights when part of the other team can't assist.
    For the same reason I don't like playing a full caster in 3.5 (particularly a wizard), I don't enjoy the chessmastering aspect of Dota 2. That level of strategy feels like paranoia to me more than entertainment. I feel like I might have a subconscious gank sense developed over a period of time from dota 1 and 2, but I'm not interested in intense strategic evaluation. That's what I like about planetside 2. I'm just one guy on the battlefield with a sniper rifle doing some "fishing".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Most people on this forum that are playing a MOBA are playing League of Legends. (Several people do play both, so you may want to ask in the League thread)

However if you really want to get people together step 1 would be to put in the OP of the thread a list of people that play and on what server.

I don't play at all anymore but I do still enjoy watching pro DOTA 2 matches.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-04-21 at 03:12 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Valve just invaded the meatspace. They're demanding a unique cell phone number for each dota account that wants to play ranked, aka the only game in town (yes I know unranked games are played a lot). I'm torn between the blow against smurfers, and the lost of privacy. =.=

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Valve just invaded the meatspace. They're demanding a unique cell phone number for each dota account that wants to play ranked, aka the only game in town (yes I know unranked games are played a lot). I'm torn between the blow against smurfers, and the lost of privacy. =.=
    I mean... that's really not hard to get around. I guarantee anybody has multiple friends or family members that will never play the game ever that they could use their numbers for another account without a big deal.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-04-21 at 09:24 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Is it really a loss of privacy? Unless you were playing behind a VPN with fake info on your Steam account they knew who you were anyway.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, it might not be a huge change, but now they also have your phone number. Knowing who someone is doesn't mean they have no privacy.

A simple solution if you care about it a lot is to get a burner phone and use it for this.

The problem with using a phone you don't always have access to is that when you need to verify your account you would have to ask whoever to get the code.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hey, it's convenient this should pop up just as I'm starting to get back into the game.

Been playing unranked at low-to-mid 3k equivalent. If anybody wants to play, just search my username on Steam.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

On the subject of DOTA 2, the Kiev Major is starting on Monday.

I personally think EG is most likely to win it all, but far from a sure thing.

Anybody following it at all have any thoughts on who is likely to win?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    On the subject of DOTA 2, the Kiev Major is starting on Monday.

I personally think EG is most likely to win it all, but far from a sure thing.

Anybody following it at all have any thoughts on who is likely to win?
    I think OG is the best team in any given major but IG is really hot at the moment.

I hope wings (random) gets it together. They've really flamed out.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    I think OG is the best team in any given major but IG is really hot at the moment.

I hope wings (random) gets it together. They've really flamed out.
    Hmm, but what do you think of the meta?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, but what do you think of the meta?
    Like in what context? The joke a lot of people have been saying is this is the Hand of Midas meta even after the nerf.

Champion wise Monkey King just got a big nerf so he probably won't be nearly as hotly contested, so maybe Slardar will start coming back? That probably leaves Earth Spirit as the big early pick/ban, but support pool is still pretty wide for viable ones - Warlock, Rubick, Crystal Maiden, Dazzle have all been picked reasonably often the past few weeks I wouldn't really expect that to change.

Watching minor games and tournaments over the past couple weeks its kind of felt like the Lina/Sniper/Alchemist show in mid with everybody else below them, even after the talent level shuffle on Lina. Even then though Invoker is still Invoker.

Safe lane is still pretty fluid although Lifestealer is still popular and Abaddon has been highly contested in is some regions.

I don't really think anybody has anybody huge shocking choices they're going to unveil.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Like in what context? The joke a lot of people have been saying is this is the Hand of Midas meta even after the nerf.

Champion wise Monkey King just got a big nerf so he probably won't be nearly as hotly contested, so maybe Slardar will start coming back? That probably leaves Earth Spirit as the big early pick/ban, but support pool is still pretty wide for viable ones - Warlock, Rubick, Crystal Maiden, Dazzle have all been picked reasonably often the past few weeks I wouldn't really expect that to change.

Watching minor games and tournaments over the past couple weeks its kind of felt like the Lina/Sniper/Alchemist show in mid with everybody else below them, even after the talent level shuffle on Lina. Even then though Invoker is still Invoker.

Safe lane is still pretty fluid although Lifestealer is still popular and Abaddon has been highly contested in is some regions.

I don't really think anybody has anybody huge shocking choices they're going to unveil.
    Note the name of the poster I quoted :).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Note the name of the poster I quoted :).
    I know. I was taking the joke seriously to see if you were going to play along :(.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-04-22 at 09:29 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Oh hey, it's convenient this should pop up just as I'm starting to get back into the game.

Been playing unranked at low-to-mid 3k equivalent. If anybody wants to play, just search my username on Steam.
    I added you, though I'm not sure how often you play. Daily? Weekend? Once a week? I'm closer to 1/week.

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm iNuzzle on steam, feel free to add me. I usually play in groups of 3-5 from a pool of about 10 regulars (3 GitPers) that averages out around 3k, but has a low of 1.5k and high of 6k MMR. Some of us know each other from outside the computer screen, but some don't and we're a very laid back bunch. Twice a week EST, generally.

Spoiler: Kiev
    Show
    Burning is back?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm iNuzzle on steam, feel free to add me. I usually play in groups of 3-5 from a pool of about 10 regulars (3 GitPers) that averages out around 3k, but has a low of 1.5k and high of 6k MMR. Some of us know each other from outside the computer screen, but some don't and we're a very laid back bunch. Twice a week EST, generally.

Spoiler: Kiev
    Show
    Burning is back?
    I mean he never left.

Spoiler: Asia Championships
    Show
    With him IG won the DOTA Asia Championships by 3-0ing OG and they only dropped 3 games the whole tournament.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Interesting, I've not heard this before. Dota is generally considered to have a very steep learning curve, complex mechanics, and the better players nearly alway win any sort of 1v1. I'm not going to randomly take a game off Miracle or Dendi anytime soon, and I'm a pretty decent player.

Dota is definitely not the most played game. LoL is way bigger, and though Riot fudges their numbers, (a LoL player ran a program to track all players in games played, and it arrived at a much smaller number than advertised) it is still quite a bit more popular. Dota does have the biggest esports prize totals though, and I find it to be way more interesting than League and other contemporaries. I also find Riot to be rather evil, but mayhap that's drifting off topic.

A GitP channel for inhouse games would be pretty fun. I play with a couple of other posters that I went to uni with.
    I feel like people find it difficult to play dota 2 as comapred to lol or CSGO. People say that all the time its so hard and you guys even have to use mana for a tp and also that you tp has a cool down lol.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

The Dota players are busy playing and have no time to comment in a thread.
    Yeah that is true.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

umm no my friend I dont agree with you and I think that anyone who had played dota for over a year would also not agree with you. There are like 115 heroes and each have different game plays. And OMG you said you dont feel like there is much skill involved? Dude there are players who could miss laguna with blink and that timing and those reflexes come on man just say you dont like dota but dont say that.

27. - Top - End - #27

I mean he never left.

Spoiler: Asia Championships
    Show
    With him IG won the DOTA Asia Championships by 3-0ing OG and they only dropped 3 games the whole tournament.
    Spoiler: IG + Kiev
    Show
    Yeah, I was optimistic about IG, waffled about putting them or OG as the winner in my compendium, but one tournament is one tournament. I was more speaking to the 1040 GPM AM game, though.

He's definitely had ups and downs, but happy to see him in an up again.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sabashahid View Post
    umm no my friend I dont agree with you and I think that anyone who had played dota for over a year would also not agree with you. There are like 115 heroes and each have different game plays. And OMG you said you dont feel like there is much skill involved? Dude there are players who could miss laguna with blink and that timing and those reflexes come on man just say you dont like dota but dont say that.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of DOTA 2 mainly because of a number of not particularly logical gameplay elements that are mainly a relic of the WC3 engine, but lack of skill required is definitely not one of my complaints - just watch Sumail or SCCC play something like Storm Spirit or Jerax play Rubick in a competitive game and try to claim they take no skill.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-04-26 at 06:28 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #29

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of DOTA 2 mainly because of a number of not particularly logical gameplay elements that are mainly a relic of the WC3 engine, but lack of skill required is definitely not one of my complaints - just watch Sumail or SCCC play something like Storm Spirit or Jerax play Rubick in a competitive game and try to claim they take no skill.
    Which relics are you talking about?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I believe he's referring to denying, for the most part, which was originally a bug, rather than a feature.