New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Defenders of Tomorrow IC

Well, Slapdash thinks, At least now I have an excuse to rebuild my suit.

The defective inventor floats in the crushing dark water in his swiftly reddening and rusting suit, thankful for the inner layer of insulation that blunts the icy chill of the deep sea somewhat. His arms are crossed impassively in front of his chest, but any attempt at stoic silence is ruined by the constant muted roar of the engines at the end of his 'wings' and the slow spinning wobble caused by constant readjustments. Slapdash decides to trust the angel triplets on this matter; peering through the slightly cracked lens on his suit, he tries to count the number of heat signatures all around them as a way to pass the time until bad things inevitably start happening.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-03-17 at 11:43 AM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Suzie had been quietly looking over her weapons as she was dragged along underwater.

The freeze ray. Probably not the best idea to fire underwater. It certainly wasn't something she had tested and not something she wanted to test right now.

The shock prod. Again, probably not the best idea to fire underwater. Best case scenario it'd short out. Worst case scenario it'd short out and electrocute her.

Wait a minute. She'd planned for this day. The day the crab menace rose up from the ocean and she had to fight them back. The day she'd chase them back to their underwater lair and rain destruction upon it.

She reached up and grabbed BB, opening a compartment and rummaging through it, eventually pulling out a small metal disc and stashing her weapons inside the same compartment.

Motioning to Damian to let go of her, she put the disc onto her chest and pressed down on the center of the disc.

With a whir the disc expanded over Suzie, morphing into a fully functional underwater combat suit.

So I totally forgot I had this prepared. Sorry Damian.

Spoiler: Suzie is a forgetful
    Show
    Spending a hero point to rejig Suzie's variable to:
    -Suspiciously Convinient Aquatic Equipment [8] (Removable -1) [7]
    Enhanced Traits 4 (Environmental Adaptation [Underwater], Darkvision; Affects Self and Others)

-Crustacean Response - Armed Battleunit [41] (Removable -8) [33]
    "Jet Thrusters" Flight 8 (Platform) [8]
    Weapon System:Array [30+3]
    "Mini-Torpedos" Ranged Damage 10 (Area:Burst)(Reduced Accurate 5), Enhanced Extra 10 (Selective)(Limited:Move Action to Aim) [30]
    [AE]"Sonar Ray" Ranged Affliction 10 (Dazed&Vulnerable/Stunned&Defenceless, Fort)(Cumulative, Extra Condition)(Limited Degree) [30]
    [AE]"Giant Drill" Damage 10 (Alternate Resistance:Dodge, Multiattack) [30]
    [AE]"Laser Battery" Ranged Damage 10 (Multiattack) [30]
    The attempted return!

Nexus Character: Ary

Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show

Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am sorry Mister Caleb but if I shift my internal systems now I will break your nice things. But don't worry Suzie has you covered! =D" Buddy replied to Caleb as they descended in to the darkness, though Suzie pulling a whole new set of gadgets out from inside him certainly raised some...interesting questions about how he was constructed.

The heat signatures peering out at our heroes as they moved down the crevasse was probably not the best way for Trevor to pass the time as the sheer number of them in each of the small caverns quickly blurred together in to indistinct mass of red. In a similar fashion the two suits of armour that currently guarded the entrance in front of them didn't bare a single heat signature each but a swirling mass of individual signatures inside each of them.

"Non shall enter!" One of the eel-guards repeats to Caleb, the pair just about to clash their tridents together again when a feminine voice from inside interrupted them.

"Let them pass."

Dutifully the two guards moved their tridents to their sides, their heads retracting back in to the armour. Through the door pillars ran along either side of the room supporting a high ceiling which was decorated in a fine mosaic depicting men and woman in togas engaged in some arcane rite. The far side of the room was completely covered in a dark red growths of coral, some of which had been carved out in to a throne with a clouded orb that occasionally crackled with brief flashes of light inlaid at its apex. On the throne sat...

Spoiler: Make a DC24 Will Save and click this tab
    Show
    Spoiler: Pass
    Show
    A hideous woman with rotting white skin wrapped in fine purple robes that abruptly stopped at her waist where her body split off in to a thick nest of tentacles. She had the empty black eyes of an undersea predator and a strange glowing organ protruding from the middle of her forehead, whilst her mouth was filled with thin and jagged teeth.

Spoiler: Fail
    Show
    The most beautiful woman you've ever seen in your life. Literally, whatever your character's idea of a perfect woman is, that's what they see sitting on the throne.

"You have come to parley?" She asked in a detached, she obviously already knew why they were here "Did my children not make my position clear?"

Spoiler: Perception (DC30)
    Show
    Two large coral encrusted humanoid figures were concealed either side of the throne

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash enters the throne room and... despite himself, he stops and stares for a moment. Wow, Trevor thinks, amazed at the clarity of his underwater vision, I mean, this has to be fake, somehow, right? But... wow. The woman on the throne is gorgeous, truly astonishing.

In fact, she kind of looks like...

Slapdash shakes that particular thought away quickly, forcing himself to focus on the matter at hand. He steps back slightly, positioning himself so that he has a full view of the throne... and the growths of coral to either side of it. Slapdash reaches out and taps one of the triplets on the shoulder, nodding to either side of the throne and holding up two quick fingers. This probably means we won't be able to surprise them, but at least they won't be surprising us, either.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Slightly Earlier

"Sweet!" Nadia cheered in a bubbly voice (in both senses of the term) as the underwater mobility suits (the UMS!) were handed out.

Caleb regarded the two super-scientists with a certain bemused astonishment, just kinda shaking his head. Look, the three of them had lived in Tomorrow City all their lives. It wasn't like they hadn't encountered the sort of super-science that was prevalent in the city. And yes, on a certain level, they knew intellectually that particularly where long-term use wasn't a major factor, super-scientists could pull off some pretty neat stuff pretty fast. Even so, actually seeing it firsthand, seeing Trevor and Suzie regularly pulling out or throwing together these wondrous devices, no magic on call...yeah, it was pretty incredible.

"You two are amazing," Amy told them sincerely.

~...While not to detract from the impressiveness of mortal technology in general and Trevor and Suzie's mastery of it in particular...am I the only one who is concerned that she just happened to have those waiting in Buddy Ball?~

~Mmm...yep.~

~Pretty much.~

~I mean, she's created way crazier stuff than this.~

~Yes. In very short order. But I would ask that you look back on our time with Suzie and define what, exactly, had indicated that "extraordinarily foresighted and prepared for niche situations" has even met one of her personality traits.~

~I figured they were just something she invented half a decade ago, tossed into Buddy Ball, and promptly forgot about.~

~I was betting on random but convenient side effects of creating the weather scanner thing, myself.~

~I mean, I'm not ruling out that she invented them when she reached in there and also we're never getting our phones back now.~

~That's kinda more Trevor's style though.~

~I am just saying, we all kind of glossed over her desire to take the crab-man home and...I don't know what, and now she turns out of be ready with just the right tool to stage a large-scale undersea assault? This does not strike any of you as odd?~

~...Well...~

~...I mean...~

~...The thing is...~

~Yes?~

~It is Suzie, after all,~ they sent together with the telepathic equivalent of a shrug, and swam (swam-flew, whatever) on.

Trinity existed only in their minds. He had no physical body that could be left forlornly behind, staring after them in disbelief as they swam(-flew) progressively further away.

But he nonetheless projected the mental concept of it and offered up a little prayer for the poor, very-possibly-doomed crab-people.

Now

Nadia might have stuck her tongue out at the eel guards, but A) the mask was in the way and B) salt water ew. So that was good.

The illusion upon the presumed Mother Hydra was a complex and powerful one, but with their eyes anointed with Trinity's light, no glamour could fool their vision. To their credit, none of them flinched back from her true form, although to be fair if anyone had been reading both their minds, the telepathic ~Wow,~ that Nadia shared with her siblings would have been heard in a very different tone of thought than Trevor's more private one.

Caleb halted a respectful distance from the throne, and made a formal, even courtly bow. Which (after a hesitant moment from Nadia), his sisters mimicked. It seemed fairly obvious that Mother Hydra (if that was indeed who this was) styled herself as a matter of royalty. If feeding her ego would give them any advantage whatsoever in stopping this storm, it was worth trying.

"They did, yes, but we had to reject their demand for tribute on account of the terroristic approach they used to try to secure it," Caleb responded. "But this storm you have created is clearly a feat of powerful magic. I don't imagine you would expend that sort of effort for mere trinkets. If it pleases you, you can tell us what you actually want, and then perhaps we can help you come up with a way to actually secure it." Caleb knew that no stirring request, or appeal to morals, or even challenging threat would sway the Lemurian queen outright. You don't send a city-threatening storm at people if you're not fully committed to your goals. But if they could find out what that goal was, then maybe they would have options. Conveniently, most rational beings also recognized that telling people what you wanted was usually a good way to go about getting it.

When Trevor alerted her to the coral behind the throne, Nadia's gaze flicked to it, and she gave him a little nod.

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion to try to get her to reveal what she actually wants here: (1d20+20)[32], additional +5 if Attractive applies.

Insight to Evaluate her response and really her demeanor in general: (1d20+15)[29].

And Insight for Assessment: (1d20+15)[24].

Pretty sure I already Well Informed her though.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-22 at 01:33 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Damian regarded the provided suits with a raised eyebrow, apparently more amused than anything else at Suzie forgetting about the underwater suits. "How much stuff do you keep in that ball?" he asked, letting go of Suzie so she could swim on her own and continuing downwards.

When they reached the throne room and saw what he assumed to be Mother Hydra, Damian kinda paused for a moment, treading water aimlessly as Caleb spoke. Well, least there's some benefit to coming all the way down into this damn place. Given the squid girl's little speech earlier, he wasn't really expecting much in the way of success to come from the attempt at diplomacy, but he certainly wasn't going to complain about anything that let the moment drag on before they had to start beating everyone up.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"

7. - Top - End - #307

Huh... that's... not what I was expecting... I mean hawt, but out of place at the bottom of the ocean...

Suzie floated there for a moment.

So... how's this going down? I mean it seems a shame to just torpedo this place into even more ruins, but if you're hiding the crab people it'll have to be done.
    The attempted return!

Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

~...Okay. That settles it. While I will concede that the current mission takes precedence, once it is over one of you - or perhaps all of you - will have to have a pointed conversation with that young woman.~

~Young woman? Wait, Trinity, you see through our eyes right? You can't possibly have fallen for the illusion. You're the one whose powers are making sure we-~

~I am, in fact, talking about Suzie.~

~Oh, come on, she's clearly just playing Bad Cop. It's actually a kinda pleasant change of pace. Normally I'm the one who has to play Bad Cop.~

~Hey I play Bad Cop sometimes!~

~Yeah but your Bad Cop is still like, 'Dude come on you don't seriously want to fight us we're like fifty times more awesome than you and we can do this!' or whatever. It's like, yeah it's a deterrent, but it's still kinda fundamentally nice. Then I have to be the one who's all, "rarr jail grr low-grade mind control".~

~Well I'm sorry but we're awesome! It's an easy crutch to fall back on. And besides you love going all Wrath of God on people, we all know it.~

~If we could perhaps return to the matter at hand.~

~Sorry, Trinity. Yeah, I'm not sure that talking Mother Hydra down is particularly plausible, but if we can figure out what she's looking for it still might be good information. At the very least, it gives us more to work with after we fight her, so-~

~I was, in fact, still talking about Suzie. Are you honestly not bothered by the fact that she threatened to destroy this place outright? Not because of their attack on the city, but for allegedly hiding crab-people?~

~I...think she's just joking, Trinity.~

~Yeah. Or just playing it up for effect. You don't want the bad guys to know what you actually care about.~

~Right. "If you don't stop this storm, we will blow you up" gives them leverage. "I'm just looking for an excuse to destroy you, oh hey crab people, that sounds good" keeps them on their toes.~

~...While I won't say it's an entirely invalid rhetorical tactic, my concern is that she might actually intend to blow this place up because it may have more crab-people!~

~...Nah.~

~I don't think so.~

~Although, I mean, to be fair, if they send more of the crab people at us, we could do worse than high explosives as a weapon against them.~

~That's not unreasonable.~

~I mean, Patty up there was a beast, is what I'm saying.~

~He probably could take at least a few torpedoes to the face, honestly.~

~...I...just...I can't. I just can't.~
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-24 at 05:34 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am very useful =D" Buddy Ball happily informed Damian.

Seeing Slapdash point out her hidden guards, the woman on the throne smirked (well the image that everyone bar Trinity saw did, it was hard for her actual face to show much of anything) and with a wave of her hand the coral mass either side of her cracked open as the two figures forced their way out in to the open. The pair stood either side of her, bulky classical statues, their forms just about recognisable beneath their own layers of coral growth.

A satisfied smile took the place of her smirk as the trio of angels knelt before her (at least for everyone except the angels themselves once again), finally air breathers who knew their place and as such they were the only people that she deigned respond to directly, Suzie would simply have to live her life not knowing whether she was in fact harboring more crab people. "A sacrifice, one hundred pure souls and I will quell the storm. A fair bargain for an entire city is it not?"

Spoiler: Quell
    Show
    She seems to be completely on the level her, whilst what she's asking for might be extremely morally distasteful she does intend to spare Tomorrow if they cave to her demands.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

"'Pure'?" Damian repeated. "You don't know a hell of a lot about humans, do you? Maybe it's different for you...whatever the hell you guys are...but humanity, as a whole, sucks." He chuckled slightly. "You could probably go round the whole damn world without finding a hundred pure souls. Unless you're gonna accept...like, squirrel souls or something."

"Not that we were gonna accept even if it was possible,"
    he added, after a moment's reflection, "but, y'know, it'll be something for you to think about when you're sitting in an police fishbowl somewhere." (Of course, there was no guarantee that Mother Hydra couldn't breathe air just like her daughter had been able to, but the image of her being stuck in a giant fishbowl amused him.)

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

At Mother Hydra's response, Caleb's eyes narrowed dangerous.

Amy stared in shock, hardly believing she would make such a horrific demand.

Nadia...laughed. Uproariously.

"AH-HA-HA-HA...AHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-WOW! You went there! You actually went there! Lady, I don't think you fully understood the purpose of this whole negotiation. We weren't asking for what it would take to save our city. Our city was saved the very moment these two," Nadia pointed a thumb over her shoulder more-or-less in the general direction of Suzie and Trevor, "started looking into what was causing the storm. Everything else is just us playing catch-up with the future. We were giving you the opportunity to avoid a super-powered beat-down!"

"An opportunity you have now lost!" the triplets shouted together as moonlight silver, sky blue, and sunlight pink light flared up around them, blazing particularly bright around their hands and especially their eyes. But the voice they shouted in did not belong to any of them. It was a rich, ringing baritone, and the words rang like a pronouncement of Doom from On High.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[18].
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-25 at 12:06 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

The thing was, Damian was wrong.

Now, granted, they'd argue he was wrong on the basic premise. Even Caleb, who had had more experience than most with the depths of suckage to which humans could sink, still believed that humanity as a whole, while far from perfect, was still tending towards good and getting generally better at it as time went on. A hundred pure souls, depending on how you defined pure, did not seem so hard a thing to find, to them.

But even if you had a definition of "pure soul" that would exclude most, there was one class of person in whom purity of soul could be found in abundance.

Children.

And even the hint of an insinuation that Mother Hydra was asking them to random the souls of children for the safety of their city was enough to drive the Springs siblings to war.

They charged forward, side by side, the sisters each going for one of the coral guards while Caleb went at Mother Hydra herself, flying as if through open air, their fists crashing down like divine hammers unimpeded by the water around them thanks to Suzie's mobility suits. They struck hard and fast, a barrage of blows as Amy cast a Curse of Love, channeling its magic through her siblings, to leave their foes beholden to their own compassion.

Then they separated, wary of wide-area magical attacks, to assess for their next move.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Into Close range.

Free: Swap to and activate Decoordinate. Damage 10 (Multiattack) Linked Affliction 10 (Impaired/Disabled; Will; Multiattack, Limited Degree).

Standard: Attack with Triplecast, Multiattacking for 3, All Out Attacking for 1. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage, Will DC 20 vs. Impaired/Disabled. The Affliction has the [Mystical] [Curse] rather than [Mental] [Emotion] descriptors.
    Coral Guard 1: (1d20+8)[12].
    Coral Guard 2: (1d20+8)[13].
    Mother Hydra: (1d20+8)[17].
    EDIT: ...Really, dice!?

Move-by Action: Scatter to like 100' distant if the room allows it, or as much as the room allows otherwise.

Current Status: -1 Defense this turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-26 at 12:16 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

13. - Top - End - #313

Yyyyyeah, we're not gonna give you anyone. Torpedoes it is.

Two launchers slid into place on Suzie's shoulders, firing a barrage of torpedoes towards mother hydra and her guards, trying to catch the orb atop the throne in the blast.

Spoiler: See, this is why you Suz first, ask questions later.
    Show
    [Mini-Torpedoes] Ranged Damage 10 (Area:Burst)(Reduced Accurate 5), Enhanced Extra 10 (Selective)(Limited:Move Action to Aim) on Mother Hydra, the Coral guards and the Storm Orb.
    DC 20 Dodge and DC 25/20 Toughness save
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Whilst Suzie's not-at-all-suspicious aquatic gear meant that Trinity could move through the water as easily as they could the air, Mother Hydra and her creations were natives of the deep and as such still held an edge on their home turf, with even the stiff coral creatures managing to deflect their holy fists on to ablative polyps that were shattered harmlessly in to dust.

The same however could not be said for Suzie's torpedoes, no matter how nimble they were it was impossible for the sea witch and her cadre not to get caught in the blast. The mystical wards surrounding Mother Hydra and her orb weathered the explosion well, ancient spellcraft more than a match for the young inventors technology, her guards however faired much worse, one looking barely able to hold itself together in the wake of the attack. Suzie wouldn't have long to enjoy her achievement though as a crackling beam of black light shot out from the orb set above the throne to dull her reflexes and stiffen her muscles, whilst the damaged guard started to stitch itself back together.

Mother Hydra seemed to take almost losing her guards to a single attack in her stride, or at least that's what it looked like to everyone except Trinity, it was really hard to tell what the dagger-toothed monster that the Springs could see was feeling at all. In fact she looked so happy that she started to sing. It might have been in better shape than its brother but the other guard had still needed a moment to pull itself together, wordlessly it lifted its arms up and slammed its hands together sending a rippling shockwave rushing out through the water towards the Defenders.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mother Hydra
    Standard: Attack with Siren Song, everyone make a DC24 Dodge Save and a DC24 Will Save vs Cumulative Vulnerable/Compelled/Controlled if they fail. It's also Progressive against everyone who isn't Trinity.
    Move:It's a comfy throne

Coral Guard #1
    Standard:Recover
    Move:Staggered

Coral Guard #2
    Standard: Attack with Shockwave Clap, Genesis, Slapdash and Suzie (and maybe Trinity? I think Cone 1 hits Amy?) make a DC20 Dodge Save then a DC25/20 Toughness Save and a DC 20/15 Fortitude Save vs Dazed/Stunned.
    Move:Dazed

Orb of Storms
    Sinister and round

Defenders are on turn!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

The minds of the triplets were under Trinity's care, and he would brook no outside influence. The angel barred the influencing power of the song from finding any purchase, although keeping the powerful magic at bay was a bit distracting.

The shockwave rolled over Amy, knocking her around some and cracking her head against the wall behind her. She was physically unharmed - Trinity's barrier absorbed all the force - but the impact left her, as her siblings as they felt it through her, a bit disoriented

Caleb immediately worked the proper spell, invoking the power of his Faith. A calm certainty filled him, and he stoked it into a cleansing flame, to burn away fell magic and sweep aside any impediment to his goals. Silver light blazed around him, and with an imperious gesture, he cast it into Amy through their bond.

Across the room, Nadia also pointed a hand at their sister, pouring the power of Hope into her. Sheer, unadulterated confidence in the power of her brother's magic. Her power joined with his, augmenting the potency of his spell, fueling it with enough raw power to challenge even Mother Hydra's spellcraft and purge the insidious song from their sister - and themselves by association.

And into that conjoined magic, Amy poured the power of Love. Imbued with energy of the young healer's compassion, the cleansing magic radiated out, to banish any trace of the enchantment that might have affected their friends!

And for their next trick...

"LALALALALALALALALALALA"

"I'M NOT LISTENING! I'M NOT LISTENING!"

"OH-H SAY CAN YOU SEE! BY THE DAWN'S EARLY LIIIIIGHT!"

Immature? Maybe. Effective? Definitely!

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Dazed.
    Free: Reconfigure Decoordinate. Taking the Nullify of Decoordinate, removing the Others Only Limit and Simultaneous Extra, adding Burst Area, and tacking on five additional ranks.
    Standard: Triplecast. Centered by Amy at the intersection of N:O 17:18, so the area should catch all party members. Attempting to Counter the Siren Song Affliction at (1d20+15)[34]. I'll take it!
    Free: "Avert gaze" auditorily. The bad guys gain Partial Auditory Concealment against Trinity. Trinity gets +10 to avoid Sound Dependent attacks.
    End of Turn: Fortitude to remove Dazed (DC 20): (1d20+10)[19]. Will to remove Vulnerable if it isn't Countered (DC 24): (1d20+10)[19]. Nope nope

Current Status: Dazed (F20), Vulnerable (W24) (Pending).
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-03-29 at 04:18 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash winces at the shockwave ripples over him, ripping apart bits of his metal suit and sending it wafting through the watery throne room. He tries to hum along with Mother Hydra's song, but breaks off after a few (horrifically off-key) notes. "I'm, uh, not one for singing, I guess," he mumbles, trying and failing at witty banter.

Firing up his jets, he drifts closer to the undersea woman and her odd coral guards. "Maybe I'll, uh, just add musical accompaniment." Slapdash orients himself carefully, the speaker on his chest pulsing with purplish light before releasing its own shock-wave of psychic energy over all of his opponents.

Show
    Move Action: Shift to H14.

Standard Action: Use Psychic Scream. Mother Hydra, both Coral Guards, and the Orb of Storms (If Applicable) need to make a Dodge DC 20 save for half, Will DC 20/15 Save vs. Weaken All Abilities.

What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Damian listened to the song for a while. And then he laughed, and kept laughing even when the shockwave knocked him back a few feet. "Yeah, you can't sing for ----," he called out over the song. His ears shrank away and retreated into his head, leaving the song nothing more than a faint murmur in the back of his mind, as he darted forwards, torso and head turning into a shark's maw - Suzie's suit had been somehow assimilated, through some technological means he wasn't going to pretend he understood, by his nanite suit, allowing it to maintain its functionality even when he changed his form - as he snapped at Mother Hydra before retreating behind a pillar in preparation for more shockwaves.

Show
    Free: Begin blocking sense of hearing.
    Move: Into G14.
    Standard: Rend on Mother Hydra, all-out attacking for 5 and power attacking for 2, and Team Attacking with Suzie if she happens to also target Mother Hydra: (1d20+13)[17] 32. On a basic hit, DC27 Toughness vs damage and DC22 Will vs Dazed/Stunned.
    Extra Effort: Rend on CG2 (in the OOC)
    Move-by Action: Into E18.

Status: Fatigued next round, 1 Bruise, -5 to active defences.
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2018-04-03 at 12:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

Okay, note to self, leave the orb for now...

Suzie shook off most of the orb's efforts to slow her down and Unleashed a disorienting sonar burst at the Mother hydra.

Spoiler: Torpedo Suz
    Show
    [Sonar Ray] Ranged Affliction 10 (Dazed&Vulnerable/Stunned&Defenceless, Fort)(Cumulative, Extra Condition)(Limited Degree) on Mother Hydra.
    DC20 fort save
    Last edited by metakirb; 2018-04-09 at 01:57 PM.
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Even before Trinity's magic banished the lingering effect of her magic from the temple her entrancing song had failed to find much purchase on the heroes in front of her, even amongst those that had fallen for her glamour. Then Slapdash's psychic device kicked in to gear and blasted the sea witch and her minions with its discordant noise, Mother Hydra's wards held strong against the effect but one of her guards was rendered almost comatose by the blast and even the Orb itself was thrown for a loop as the strange energies clashed with its own internal magic.

Damian leaped forward with his savage maw, tearing in to Mother Hydra and one of her guards, like the crab thing the Defenders fought on the surface the coral monsters, despite their appearance were living war machines bred by foul Lemurian magic, which amongst other things meant that they could feel pain. The creature howled in agony, almost doubling over and even Mother Hydra was given pause, the pretty face she was projecting grimacing in discomfort whilst in reality black ichor floated out of the wound Damian had dealt her.

"Guards! Rid me of this filth!" She hissed, calling for her reinforcements waiting outside as she fixed Slapdash with a deathly stare and her guard that was still standing barrelled towards Genesis and trying to squeeze him in a bear hug.

Answering their Mistress' summons the pair of guards charge in to the room "Yes my Queen!" they shouted as they turned to face Nadia and thrust their trident's towards her, black lighting lancing out from the tip.

Show
    Mother Hydra
    Standard: Attack Slapdash with Gaze of the Gorgon, make a DC24 Dodge save then a DC24 Fortitude Save vs Cumulative/Progressive Dazed&Vulnerable/Stunned&Defenseless/Transformed if that fails.
    Move: Dazed
    End of Turn: Recover from Dazed (DC22) (1d20+14)[34] Recovered

Coral Guard #1
    Move: Move to D18
    Standard: Attack Genesis with Curse of Coral (1d20+8)[26], if that hits make a DC22 Strength/Dodge Check vs Grab and a DC22 Will Save vs Impaired&Vulnerable/Disabled&Stunned/Controlled&Transformed if that hits. The effect is Progressive as long as the grab is maintained. Hits

Coral Guard #2
    End of Turn: Recover one point to all abilities (-8 points), Recover from Stunned (1d20+6)[20] Nope

Eel Guards
    Move: Move to X14&15
    Standard: Team Attack Nadia with Fell Lightning (1d20+13)[26] (1d20+13)[18], DC23+Multiattack+Team Attack Toughness Save if that hits. Hits DC30

Orb of Storms
    Like Buddy Ball but magic and evil
    End of Turn: Recover one point to all abilities (-8 points)

Defenders are on turn!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2018-04-09 at 02:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, no." Even as the bruises he'd suffered from being slammed into the column quickly healed, Damian reached up and caught the coral guardian's arms before it could start crushing him, shoving it back and changing shape again, his legs merging into one massive, fish-like tail, which he swung at the aquatic monster, aiming to bat it like a baseball into Mother Hydra's throne - and the magical Orb that was mounted atop it.

Show
    Move: Shapeshift to Regeneration 10, Swimming 5.
    Standard: Constrictor on CG1, Power Attacking for 2: (1d20+8)[14] 27. On a hit, DC27 Toughness vs damage and DC22 Strength/Dodge or be launched at the Orb with full Power Attack at (1d20+5)[20] for DC30 Toughness vs damage. (My hope is that the Orb will mistake the guy slamming into it for the attacker and zap him, but it's magic so who knows.)
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.
    End of Turn: Mother Hydra gets a DC22 Toughness save vs damage and a DC22 Fort save vs Impaired/Disabled.
    End of Turn: CG2 gets a DC25 Toughness save vs damage and a DC25 Fort save vs Impaired/Disabled.

Last edited by Llyarden; 2018-04-09 at 03:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia crossed her arms before her as the eels did their zippity-zapping. The combined force of both bombardments of multiple lightning bolts managed to draw off some of Trinity's energy to absorb, but it was nothing they couldn't take.

A hard thrust of his wings, and Caleb shot forward at the coral guard that was still reeling, figuring to try to take that one down before it recovered its wits. Amy and Nadia launched themselves at the two eels, hoping to take them out quickly before they could make pests of themselves. They came in with hard punches shining with light, Nadia's power of hope flowing through them as they attacked, denying any possibility that their foes might be able to strike them back!

You'd think that at least Nadia would have made some one-liner or witty comment as they went, but well...

"LALALALALALALALALALALA"

"WHAT SO PROUDLY WE HAILED! AT THE TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING!"

(They also weren't really looking Mother Hydra's way, only glancing at her in the periphery of, well, Caleb's vision).

Spoiler
    Show

Free: Reconfigure Decoordinate. Damage 10 (Multiattack) Linked Deflect 10 (Secondary Effect, Reduced Range [Close]).

Standard: Charge. Caleb into F15, Nadia into X13, Amy into W16. Attack CG2, EG1, and EG2, -2 for Charge, Multiattacking for 3. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage. Trinity is Deflected at 1d10+16.
    CG2: (1d20+5)[25]. Crit! Toughness DC becomes 30
    EG1: (1d20+5)[22]. Probably hits
    EG2: (1d20+5)[13]. Probably misses

Free: Avert visual senses from Mother Hydra and auditory senses in general. Mother Hydra gets Partial Visual and all enemies Partial Auditory Concealment against Trinity. Trinity gets +10 to avoid Visual and Auditory Dependent attacks from Mother Hydra/everyone.

End of Turn: Fortitude to recover from Dazed (DC 20): (1d20+10)[20]. Recovers

Current Status: 1 Bruise, Deflected (1d10+16).
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-09 at 04:28 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash hurriedly averts his gaze from Mother Hydra's stony glare. He may be a relatively new hero, but even he knows that sorceress plus suddenly forcefull glaring equals Very Bad News. He lifts his left hand instead, the nozzle pointed at the remaining Coral Guard as it spits out several balls of purple-white light, which hiss angrily in the water as they burn their way towards his foe.

Slapdash, however, is not looking at the coral guard. "Um... guys? Caleb... Amy... Nadia... uh, she's.... she's stopped singing... guys..." he calls out feebly, though with the explosions, the clawing, the punching, and their own singing, who knows if they can hear him?

Show
    Move Action: Shift back to K14.

Free Action: Switch to Cluster Bomb.

Standard Action: Cluster Bomb on Coral Guard #1: (1d20+10)[15] On a hit, Damage DC 25+Multiattack. On a miss, Homing 1.

Last edited by Zelphas; 2018-04-10 at 01:10 PM.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Welp, guess we're doing the whole missile turret thing today.

The torpedo pods slide back into place on Suzie's shoulders and she begins firing again, this time taking her time, making sure not to catch any of her friends in the blast.

Spoiler: Turret Suz
    Show
    [Mini-Torpedoes] Ranged Damage 10 (Area:Burst)(Reduced Accurate 5), Enhanced Extra 10 (Selective)(Limited:Move Action to Aim) on Mother Hydra and the remaining Coral guard.
    DC 20 Dodge and DC 25/20 Toughness save, spending my move action so I only hit them
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Damian's tail struck the coral monster, the ground beneath the creature splintering as it dug its feet in to avoid being flung in to its mistress' throne, but it was left wide open for Caleb who struck a decisive blow, splintering the coral that covered it and sending the pale creature beneath falling to the ground. Amy's blow shattered the armour of one of the guards, a veritable swarm of eels issuing forth from its remains, surrounding the angels briefly before fleeing out of the temple.

"Cowards!" The remaining guard yelled at his fleeing comrades, but this was quickly drowned out by the sound of Suzie's next salvo of missiles, when the air cleared the last of coral monster had clearly been taken out by bombardment and while Mother Hydra's wards had held up the blow that Genesis had dealt her was clear still having a effect.

The sea witch quickly surveyed the field, the heroes in front of her had defeated her emissaries and now dispatched her guards, narrowing her eyes she raised her hands over her head and a trio of black ethereal tendrils manifest from her back, each one tipped with a circular maw.

"All of you DIE!" She shrieked and the tendrils rushed towards Genesis, Suzie and Slapdash whilst the last eel guard thrust his trident towards Amy.

Show
    Mother Hydra
    Move:Dazed
    Standard: Multiattack Suzie, Slapdash & Genesis with Hag's Kiss, if that hits make a DC29 Fortitude Save vs Damage & Mother Hydra gets to heal herself for a number of degrees equal to the total number of degrees of failure from the targets (1d20+14)[21]
    Suzie (1d20+11)[14] Miss
    Genesis (1d20+11)[16] Miss
    Slapdash (1d20+11)[25] Hit

Eel Guard
    Move:Nah
    Standard: Attack Trinity with Crackling Trident (1d20+8)[27] DC23 Toughness Save & DC18 Fortitude Save vs Cumulative Vulnerable/Stunned/Incapacitated if that hits. Could hit

Defenders are on turn!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2018-04-15 at 06:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Suzie had Buddy Ball's forcefield. She'd be fine.

Genesis was Genesis. He'd be fine.

But look they still weren't completely sold on the structural integrity of Slapdash's armor, so when Mother Hydra bore down on Trevor, Amy and Nadia raced to defend him.

Amy won. But then again they shared damage so whatever.

For just a moment, the luminous energy around the three angels dimmed, and for once all three of the siblings cried out in pain. It does bear remembering that while the triplets did have heroic experience prior to joining the Defenders, it was mostly mid-level stuff, and fairly straightforward. Beat-em-ups, energy blasts, a few explosions for spice, the odd silly gun (oh, Random Street Thug #3, you were adorable, but Minions can't crit silly!) They hadn't really been exposed to too many "weird" attacks in their lives.

But while her tendril clamped down on Amy's shoulder, it was Trinity that she took a bite out of. The angel's powerful spirit shielded their mortal souls, but all of them felt his spiritual pain, and it wasn't like anything they had ever felt before.

But with a moment's focus, the lights flared back on, and the angel sisters joined hands and lifted their eyes to the sky ceiling? heavens! Caleb reached towards them, sending a silvery beam of empowering energy to them, as auras of sunrise pink and sky blue built up around them, before exploding into a gentle lavender wave of shielding and healing.

...The cries were also only a brief reprieve from the constant:

"LALALALALALALALALALALA"

"WHOSE BROAD STRIPES AND BRIGHT STARS! THROUGH THE PERILOUS FIIIIIGHT!"

Ev...evidently they hadn't heard Slapdash. More's the pity. (Okay really even though she had stopped singing didn't mean she couldn't start singing again but you know whatever).

(Also to be fair Amy had a pretty good singing voice. If her siblings would stop acting like ten year olds it probably wouldn't have been so bad.)

Spoiler
    Show

Free: Reconfigure Decoordinate. Healing 8 (Burst Area, 4 ranks Restorative, Persistent, Quirk [Heal Order], Limited [One Degree]) Linked Deflect 10 (Burst Area, Reduced Range [Close]).

Standard: Triplecast. Centering the burst on J:K 15:16, so it should be able to get all party members but Damian. As long as I don't roll a 1 (and let's be real I'll reroll if I do) everyone else heals one Bruise and four points of Weaken: (1d20+8)[27]. They're also Deflected at 1d10+20, -1 per point of Toughness above 10.

End of Turn: Fortitude to remove Vulnerable (DC 18). If it fails I'll Luck Reroll for an auto-pass: (1d20+10)[11]. Rerolled, auto-pass Deflect SE triggers.

Current Status: 3 Bruises, Deflected (1d10+16).
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2018-04-16 at 12:52 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

"Still can't hear you!" Damian taunted Mother Hydra as he darted across the hall, making it behind another pillar in time to dodge the life-draining tendril that arced towards him. His tail changed from shark-like to snake-like, stretching all the way back to the entrance of the hall, aiming to coil around the remaining guard (or at least most of the eels that made him up) and hurl him into the throne.

Show
    Move: Into L11.
    Free: Elongate with Constrictor.
    Standard: Attack the Eel Guard with Constrictor, Power Attacking for 2 and routining the attack roll for 18. On a hit, DC 27 Toughness vs damage and DC22 Strength/Dodge vs being thrown at the Orb of Storms at (1d20+8)[17] for DC27 Toughness vs damage.

27. - Top - End - #327

Suzie watches the tendrils bounce harmlessly off her forcefield, clearly unable to absorb anything through the technological projection.

Look Lady, you're running out of minions. You're not going to be able to take all of us at once. Just give up already.

The torpedo pods slide down again, being replaced once more with her sonar equipment, firing off another attempt to disorient her opponent.

Spoiler: Sonarzie? Suznar?
    Show
    [Sonar Ray] Ranged Affliction 10 (Dazed&Vulnerable/Stunned&Defenceless, Fort)(Cumulative, Extra Condition)(Limited Degree) on Mother Hydra (1d20+10)[13].
    DC20 fort save
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash listens to the triplets cry out in pain as Amy jumps between him and the mouth of Mother Hydra. They begin singing/yelling again, and he sighs.

An instant later, he is directly in front of the illusion of a beautiful woman, his glowing, oversized fist punching repeatedly at her face.

Show
    Move Action: Shift to F14.

Free Action: Switch to Megaton Punch.

Standard Action: Megaton Punch on Mother Hydra, All-Out Attacking for 5, Power Attacking for 2. (1d20+11)[24] On a hit, Damage DC 29, Fortitude (ha) DC 24 vs. Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Prone.

Extra Effort: Megaton Punch again on Mother Hydra, All-Out Attacking for 5, Power Attacking for 2. (1d20+11)[17] On a hit, Damage DC 29, Fortitude (ha) DC 24 vs. Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Prone.

Status: Fatigued next turn, -5 to Active Defenses (this turn), Deflected (1d10+20).
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Only Trevor's mighty metal fist managed to breach Mother Hydra's wards and even then she barely seemed to even register it (her beautiful glamour certainly didn't). She didn't even react when the last of her guards was flung in to the coral behind her, no, all her attention right now was focused on the Amy. When she had thrown herself in front of the inventor Mother Hydra had gotten a taste of Trinity and even the tiniest sliver of an angel's power was like ambrosia to her dark heart, she wanted more, much more.

"What are you?!" She hissed towards the girl and if it wasn't for her soulless black eyes it would almost look like she was shocked.

Spitting ancient blasphemous curses another bevy of black gnashing tentacles rose from her back and each and every one of them rushed straight straight at Amy.

Show
    Mother Hydra
    Move:--
    Standard: All-Out Attack +2 at Trinity with Hag's Kiss (1d20+16)[31] if that hits make a DC29+Multiattack Fortitude Save vs Damage & Mother Hydra gets to heal herself for a number of degrees equal to the total number of degrees of failure from the target (1d20+14)[20]

Defenders are on turn!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Damian might not have been able to hear the siblings cry out when Mother Hydra's tendrils of dark energy had bit into them, but he'd seen it. And when the witch turned her full power on Amy, Damian moved like...well, a snake...and just outright coiled around her for a moment or two, leaving no way for the dark energy to touch her. Of course, the tendrils bit him instead, but (with a little magical help from Trinity) he barely even felt the blows land.

He slithered back behind the pillar again - hey, it had served him well so far - and whipped his tail around far faster than it had any right to travel through the water. At first glance it might have seemed like he'd missed, because it slammed into the coral reef from which Mother Hydra's thrown was carved.

And then he braced himself and heaved, bringing chunks of coral down on Mother Hydra - it wasn't likely to hurt her, but it would probably at least be pretty distracting - and perhaps even ripping the Orb from the reef entirely.

Show
    Move: Down into I17.
    Standard: Constrictor on Mother Hydra as an Aid attempt: (1d20+8)[24]. +5 to whoever gets it.
    Extra Effort: Constrictor on the Orb of Storms, Power Attacking for 5: (1d20+3)[18]. On a hit, DC30 Toughness vs damage and DC25 Strength/Dodge vs being thrown...actually just kinda anywhere. (No idea if it's actually subject to Strength-based effects, but meh. For science!)
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.

EDIT: I...completely forgot what my attack bonus was. Both attack rolls should be two higher but I don't think it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2018-04-18 at 01:15 PM.