New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Defenders of Tomorrow IC

Woah, hey, wha... Oh, we're in here now. Neat.

Suzie hops off her hoverboard and scampers towards the sphere.

So, you guys fix it? Put it in sleep mode? What's it even do anyway? Nice job with the spacial distortion on the room, by the way.
    If you're working for Eliza. If not, hands up? I guess?
    The attempted return!

Nexus Character: Ary

Quote Originally Posted by Bookboy View Post
    Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Here're a bunch of old avatars made for me
    Spoiler
    Show

Sig space limited so credits to the creators of my avatars

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

The goon's crowing of invincibility seemed to almost be true as their armour managed to turn away the worst of Damien's rending tendrils only to be tangled helplessly in their grasp at the last moment giving the Spring siblings the perfect opening to cut loose with their angelic powers and just go to down on the captured criminal, knocking them in to unconsciousness in short order.

Outside, miles away from their target, the last goon standing was attempting to make a break for it, they still had the armour after all, maybe they could start a new life somewhere, somewhere far enough away that the Cray's wouldn't come looking for them, maybe set themselves up as a gun for hire or something.

"Too slow you flying trash-heap! They taunted Slapdash, dodging around his first attack and putting on a burst of speed to try and put some distance between them, only to have that very same burst carry them straight in to Trevor's enormous metal fist! Slumping in to unconsciousness inside their armour the thief started to plummet down towards the street below only for Riordan to appear from nowhere and spirit them back to Astonishing Industries in front of Damien and the Springs before vanishing yet again with Slapdash and Suzie.

To say that the Crays were not going to happy was an understatement.

In the Epsilon lab the strange noises coming through Slapdash's earpiece stop abruptly along with the RUMBLERUMBLERUMBLE as Suzie approaches the sphere, its eye contracting to focus on solely on the young inventor. In response to her questions the scientists and techies didn't utter a word just continuing to shuffle towards the other doors with their zombie like gait and unfocused eyes.

"I-DEN-TI-FY." A deep rumbling voice came from within the sphere.

((Okay so I'm going to call combat over (for now!) Everybody take a hero point.))

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb and Amy were both breathing heavily as they drew back from the fallen goon. Nadia beheld their handiwork with a certain wry amusement, looking kinda like she was trying not to smile. "Wow, guys. It didn't even hurt all that much," she said, a bit jokingly, but there was a note in her voice that sounded like she was a little touched.

Amy looked a little embarrassed, and quickly busied herself first making sure the goons were still breathing and such. Caleb...well, Caleb looked like he kinda wanted to give the guy one more kick for good measure, but recognized that at that point it would just be crass.

Amy pumped some more healing into Damian, just to speed his regeneration along. "Hey, well fought man!
    D-"
    she cut off after one syllable. She had been about to say "Definitely like fighting with you more than against you" but a certain quiet talk with Caleb in the ocean popped back into her head and she quickly pivoted to, "Great to have you on the team!"

As the rumbling stopped, Caleb said, "I guess they handled whatever that was."

"We should, um, probably move these guys, yeah? Like, get them all together in the main lobby, so they're organized when the police arrive?"

Caleb nodded, Nadia shrugged, and the two of them went to heft one of the goons and start back for the lobby, kinda trudging a bit - they had actually burned off quite a lot of energy in that fight. Amy sent a bit of healing into the two goons - not enough to wake them up, but just to be safe, handle any internal injuries they might have sustained, and ensure they'd make a full and speedy recovery.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

"You're borrowing - wait, what?" Damian asked aloud, as Riordan popped in and just as quickly vanished again, taking Suzie with him. "...okay then."

He relaxed as Amy and Caleb took out the thug, dropping him in an unceremonious heap on the ground and sighing - he didn't look much less tired than the triplets. "Finally. Damn, I'm out of practice with this ----." He gave a small nod to Nadia as his tendril-arm returned to its more normal shape and size. "Thanks," he said after a moment. He...kinda looked like he was about to say something else for a few moments, but then paused and turned his attention to the fading rumbling noise. "I guess?" he replied to Caleb and Amy, picking up the armoured goon that they weren't handling and stretching out his wings to take flight back down towards the lobby.

"Hey, Holly, what's in that lab anyway?" he asked as he flew, slowing to a more reasonable pace so he could hear the AI's response.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash takes in the giant room (too big for the space it occupies...), the glassy-eyed scientists, and the huge, red-eyed orb in a few frozen moments. "Uh..." he says slowly, his right arm moving into a defensive position, "I um... don't think these guys really...
    know what they're doing, Suzie. I don't think they can hear you right now."
    He turns to the giant eyeball and swallows. "Slapdash. Superhero... I guess. Identify yourself."

Has anyone seen a guy in, uh, a blue box nearby? Maybe with a screwdriver?
    Slapdash jokes feebly over the mental link.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Routining the Perception check to notice the room.

Technology on the giant orb to look for weak spots: (1d20+20)[28]

Assessment on the orb, in case this turns into a fight: (1d20+11)[16]
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Okay... Mindless, zombie shuffles, plus they didn't answer, Mysterious, robotic voice asking me who i am. Rumbling suddenly stopping, or maybe being stopped under orders of whatever's zombie'd those guys... Plus that voice came from in the sphere and I'm not going to be able to break it, Sooooo...

Spoiler: Speak the code!
    Show
    Expertise (robotics) Check to try and command the mysterious entity if it even is machine. (1d20+15)[27]

Override. Unit will identify itself.
    Last edited by metakirb; 2017-05-31 at 01:13 PM.
    The attempted return!

Well, I was counting on you for someone. If you don't have a spare character, I start to get worried.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"'S common courtesy to introduce yourself before demanding introductions," Riordan says, a bit of a belligerent brogue coming to his tone. He scowls at the machine, then turns to view the shuffling, mindless-seeming bodies.

Everyone pops into view in the mental landscape as mind-Riordan scratches his head. ~"Okay, so we all know Eliza isn't the type to, like, hypnotize her employees like this, so something's up. Suzie, Slapdash, you guys are the brains of this operation, you're in charge of figuring out what we need to punch to do our jobs here. Trinity, Genesis, I'll 'port out to get you guys if it starts to kick off. In the meanwhile, I'll look roguishly handsome while scowling at Hal 9000 over here."~

He lets his mind flow over the shuffling workers, giving an idle ~"Hello?"~ to see if they'd respond in some way. All the while, he tries to discern whether there's any emotion going on underneath the zombie-like exterior.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to Detect any emotions that are buried within these zombie-peeps, Perception: (1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2017-06-01 at 12:31 AM.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

As it turns out, alien death machines don't really have any backdoors in their programming that can be accessed by shouting at them in English, so the enormous sphere completely ignores Suzie and instead continues to focus its attention on Slapdash.

"Superhumans are designated priority acquisition. By the judgement of the Highest Court, this world, its people, natural resources and intellectual property now belong to the GalactiCorp Conglomerate. You will stand down and await global transfer of power. Non-compliance will not be tolerated."

Like with Suzie, the techies didn't respond to Riordan's gentle inquiry, just standing stock still in their labs and offices like a collection of mannequins. Though his empathic senses would show him that they were otherwise fine, they still possessed all the normal hopes and drives and emotions that a normal human being should have, only right now they're being smothered under a thick and unnatural layer of OBEY.

Upstairs in the lobby Holly appears in response to Damien's question.

"Our Epsilon lab is dedicated to the cataloguing and research of Invasion technology, before the lock down they were scheduled to begin study of item 7/Delta/Unicorn. A sphere salvaged from the wreckage of a ship brought down over Tomorrow, its purpose is unknown but it was assumed damaged in the crash."

Spoiler: Slapdash/Suzie
    Show
    The orb has a pair of well hidden seems running horizontally and vertically across it dividing it in to 4 segments. Those could potentially be weak points in the machine's armoured shell.

9. - Top - End - #69

Segmented... Could bust it open... Or it's made to open up... given the voice is definitely coming from inside... Ugh...
    I've not had anything sweet since we left...

She turns to her own, much nicer, orb.

BB. Get me something sugary?

A compartment opens up on her robotic companion, granting suzie access to a variety of Lollipops, as he cheerily replies.

Just remember to share =D

Yes... I know...

Suzie quickly pops the lollipop into her mouth and seems to perk up almost immediately.

Oh yeah. X-Ray Goggles. Duh.

She briefly glances over to Slapdash and Riordan as she drops the goggles down.

If you want any sweets just ask Ball.

With that she turns her attention back to the giant orb.

Spoiler: Because i completely forgot that I had:
    Show
    [Senses 4 (Vision Penetrates Concealment)(Precise)]
    Last edited by metakirb; 2017-06-03 at 11:50 AM.
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb frowned as he and Nadia dropped their unconscious goon in the lobby. Riordan's sending definitely didn't make it sound like the matter had been wrapped in a neat little bow. Hypnotized scientists? Some sort of robot? ~What's going on in there, you guys?~ he sent back.

~Holly says they were working on unidentified alien tech. Be careful,~ Amy added.

"We should get in there, I'm thinking," Nadia said. "Damian, what do you say, want to break down the door?"

"Well, wait a sec," Amy intervened. "Riordan said he'd pop us in if they need us," she said, before turning her gaze on the unarmored goon who, I choose to assume, was still breaking it down in the middle of the lobby.

"Hey," she said gently, holding her hands up non-threateningly as she approached. Although one of them glowed faintly with pink light. "You're hurt. Can I heal that? I won't use any harmful magic on you. Promise."

If she got approval, she'd lay her hand on the thief's injury, a brief feeling of warm compassion flowing out as she healed the wound. If not, she'd just give a respectful nod and step back. Either way, she asked, "You guys were after whatever's in that room, right? Do you know what it is? If it's dangerous?" There was an earnest concern on her face and in her voice. No hostility or judgment, but nonetheless a certain urgency.

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion: (1d20+15)[33]. +5 if Attractive applies.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Um... I think this orb may be a holdover from the Invasion, Slapdash sends for the benefit of everyone on the mental link. Unless I'm, uh, reading this wrong, it looks like it maybe... controlled the scientists into fixing it? And now it wants us to surrender. Because I said superhero. Oops.

He stays quiet in front of the orb, silently and motionlessly planning a shot at the segmented plates of the alien object. We should, y'know, probably break it... again. Mind control is bad news.

Show
    Standard Action: Aim at the segments of the Orb. +2 to accuracy on Cluster Bomb (or +5 if in Close Range).

Slapdash has Infravision and Ultravision, in case the orb is giving off heat/UV rays.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2017-06-03 at 08:58 PM.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

~"Yeah, Slapdash has the long and short of it. Things might start to kick off soon, but I'll try to shake the employees out of the mind control so it can't use 'em against us."~

"Hey, Buddy, I'll take a lollipop," he requests with a grin.

Riordan raises his flute to his lips once more and takes a breath. The music that comes out next is uplifting, inspirational, with enough depth to breach through any kind of mental clouding. It's similar to the "Irresistible Dance" song he'd played before, but without the intent to ensorcel itself. Instead it seeks to free the minds of those who hear it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Checked with Dodge in PMs, but trying to Counter the mind-control on the scientists. Power rank opposed check: (1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2017-06-04 at 06:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Damian gave a...kinda curious look to Amy as she went to heal the thug. He looked for a moment as if he was going to say something, but thought better of it, turning back to Nadia. "I mean, if we need to get in there, can't Holly just open the door?" he asked.

"Unless this alien mind control thing is...like, a parasite or something else that travels through the air," he reflected after a moment. "Which...yeah, would probably be bad if it got out, but then we wouldn't want to smash down the door in that case anyway." He glanced back to Holly. "Do you not have some kind of system in place to stop people getting mind controlled by freaky alien...things? Because it seems like it didn't work."
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2017-06-05 at 03:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The goon in the lobby, who was indeed still popping and locking like it was the only way to save a scrappy youth center, gave his consent to Amy to use her magic on him and as the healing power washed over him he began to talk.

"I don't know, our boss said that the suits would know when we saw what it was we were supposed to grab, we just had follow all that weird crap that was coming through our headset." Still dancing, he looked at Amy pleadingly "When is this going to stop?"

"I am afraid that I would be unable to open the door, something has commandeered the systems within the Epsilon Lab, lock down protocols were engaged in order to prevent it from spreading further. I would be able to rescind them but it would take time." Holly responded to Damien "Astonishing Industries is proud to offer all of our employees a basic level of psychic training as part of our Continued Professional Development program. Sadly the uptake has been less than encouraging."

"I was not sure which one you would like so please give the other one to Mister Slapdash =D" Buddy Ball buzzed chipperly over to Riordan, small panel on his underside sliding open and dropping a pair of lollipops, one red and one brown, in front of him, though his particular choice of confection was probably not the most important thing on his mind right now. The fey prince's magic flowed through the air, reaching even the dulled senses of the scientists currently in thrall to the giant alien sphere and like the morning dew confronted by the sunrise the mechanical monsters hold on them gently evaporated.

With her goggles tuned to penetrate the outer layers of the sphere Suzie would finally be able to see its inner workings, within the machine lay the mechanisms for an enormous humanoid weapon. This discovery would not remain her sole privy for long however, the device's eye turning its attention to Riordan as it felt the connection to its thralls severed.

"NON-COMPLIANCE WILL NOT BE TOL-ER-AT-ED!" The machine boomed, its segments beginning to split apart and shift in place to form arms and legs, the glowing red eye shifting upwards to rest upon a torso with a second eye placed in its center. Thrusting its hands upwards, the robots hands tore through the ceiling like it was paper and started to pull itself free of the lab sending the building shaking all over again and setting sirens blaring throughout the entire facility.

Back with Damian and the Springs Holly's form shifted in to an urgent red and began to strobe in time with the sirens. "Epsilon Lab transcendental field breached! Spatial reintegration imminent! Please evacuate the facility! This is not a drill! Please evacuate!"

And then an enormous metal hand burst through the lobby floor.

Spoiler: Suzie
    Show
    Spoiler: Invasion Android Magnus (Head)
    Show
    -Mecha Construction [58]
    Growth 12 (+12 STR & Toughness, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidate, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth, -6 Dodge/Parry)(Permanent) [24]
    Immunity 30 (Fortitude)[30]
    Protection 4 [4]

-Positronic Brain [18]
    Immunity 10 (Mental Effect) [10]
    Enhanced Technology 22 (Limited to Computers) [8]

-Weapon Systems:Array [48+2]
    "Eye Lasers" Perception Damage 12 (Alternate Resistance:Dodge) [48]
    [AE]"Mouth Flamer" Damage 12 (Area:Cone, No Save, Secondary Effect) [48]
    [AE]"Subjugation Broadcast" Affliction 12 (Impaired/Compelled/Controlled, Will)(Area:Perception) Linked to Weaken Will 12 (Resisted by Will)(Area:Perception)(Limited to vs Head) [36]

Spoiler: Invasion Android Magnus (Torso)
    Show
    -Mecha Construction [68]
    Growth 12 (+12 STR & Toughness, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidate, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth, -6 Dodge/Parry)(Permanent) [24]
    Immunity 20 (Uncommon Resistances)(Limited to Half Effect) [10]
    Protection 4 [4]

-Leg Servos [12]
    Speed 6 (Affects Self and Others)

-Weapon Systems:Array [54+3]
    "Chest Cannon" Ranged Damage 12 Linked to Weaken Toughness 12 (Toughness);Accurate 6 [54]
    [AE]"Shoulder Missiles" Ranged Damage 12 (Area:Targeted Burst, Multiattack);Accurate 6 [54]
    [AE]"Earthquake Stomp" Strength-Based Damage 0 (Area:Burst 12, Secondary Effect 7) Linked to Affliction 12 (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated, Fort)(Area:Burst, Secondary Effect 7);Accurate 4 [54]
    [AE]"Defensive Systems" Ranged Damage 12 (Multiattack) Linked to Deflect 6 Linked to Enhanced Advantage 2 (Evasion 2)(Affects Self and Others, Increased Range);Accurate 6 [54]

Spoiler: Invasion Android Magnus (Arm Left/Right)
    Show
    -Mecha Construction [68]
    Immunity 20 (Uncommon Resistances)(Limited to Half Effect) [10]
    Protection 4 [4]

-Weapon Systems [46+2]
    "Smashing Fist" Strength-Based Damage 0 (Area:Burst 12)(Limited to Targets on Same Surface) Linked to Affliction 16 (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated, Fort)(Area:Burst 12)(Limited) Linked to Move Object 16 (Area:Burst 12)(Reduced Range, Limited to Targets on the Same Surface, Limited to Away);Accurate 4 [46]
    [AE]"Crushing Grip" Strength-Based Damage 0 (Area:Burst 12) Linked to Weaken Toughness 16 (Area:Burst 12);Accurate 4 [44]
    [AE]"Lay Waste" Strength-Based Damage 0 (Area:Targeted Burst 12, Multiattack 16, Secondary Effect 16)(Limited to Targets on Same Surface):Accurate 4 [32]

Show
    Okay guys you each have one action before the building goes kaput, feel free to use it however you like but anyone still on the premises after that will have to start making saves to avoid being trapped in the rubble.

15. - Top - End - #75

Well that's not good...

Suzie backed up a few steps as she took in the insides of the sphere, and then it started to unfold.

That's worse...

And then it bust open the ceiling

Oh, that's probably going to make some spacial issues... Riordaaaaaan, Outside, now!

Mental Communication Suzie on the other hand was pretty calm, relaying to the team exactly what the mechanical titan was capable of.
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Amy frowned a little at the lack of actionable intelligence, but what could you do? She was getting through to him at least. "Okay, thanks," she said. "Um...it should wear off shortly, I think? Almost definitely less than a couple minutes. Probably."

Then a giant robotic hand burst through the floor, followed by a very detailed description of the technological capabilities of a very big kill-bot.

Amy's face went pale. Nadia's flushed with excitement. "So, I guess breaking the door down is a moot point, yeah?"

"Holly! Open every door you have access to! NOW!" Caleb demanded, grabbing Nadia's hand. Amy rushed over, catching each of their free hands with one of her own, the three bowing their heads and closing their eyes. Moonlight silver, sky blue, and sunrise pink light flared up around the three siblings in burning auras, blending and mixing together, until all shone with the white-gold power of the risen sun.

When they opened their eyes, they were nothing but pits of star-bright white light.

The triplets moved in a blur of hasted speed, running through the building, every room they could access. They grabbed fallen goons, scientists, facility staff - anyone they could find, flying them out and to safety at angelic speed. Already rather low on energy, it wasn't a feat they could maintain for long, but for a few precious seconds, the Springs siblings manifested the full angelic power of Trinity, using it to clear the building with all haste.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hero Point to lower Exhausted to Fatigued.

Extra Effort - Power Stunt off of Divine Magic.

Angelic Transcendance: On Angels Wings loses Limit. Gains Feature 1 (Can pick up and drop off unresisting targets as a free action). Enhanced Flight (Wings) 10, Power Lifting 10, Quickness 10.

Free: Swap Angelic Prowess to Angelic Senses.

Move: Evacuate the building of all NPCs they can. PCs who would rather use their action for something other can getting out in their own idioms they'll be happy to bring along too. NPCs will be evacuated to a hopefully-safe distance. They will end movement outside the building, 200' in the air, and spread out in a triangle formation 400' distant from each other because yowch that thing has a lot of area attacks!
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2017-06-06 at 03:45 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash's mouth falls open as the robot transforms into a mechanized full-body form. He watches silently as the alien android reaches up, up, and breaks apart the ceiling, setting off alarms everywhere. For another long moment, he stands frozen. "Well..." he says finally, then sighs. "I guess this is about as bad as it's going to get today, huh?" He squares his shoulders and shakes his head, taking aim once more at the torso of the creature.

For just a moment, he looks over at Suzie, his gaze suddenly carrying a hint of mischief. "Dibs."

A weird sort of clarity washes over Slapdash as he sees a flash of holy light pick up scientists one by one. He waits a moment, times his shot, and... just before the light flashes over to him, he fires, globes of purple-white explosives streaking towards the alien robot from all directions.

Show
    Action: Use Cluster Bomb on the Magnus Bot, All-Out Power Attacking for 5: (1d20+15)[18] On a hit, Damage DC 30+Multiattack; on a miss, Homing 1 kicks in next turn. Using Indirect 4 to try to catch the torso off-guard. If Slapdash's prior Aim action does not work here, subtract 5 from the Accuracy roll; if it worked,
    but he wasn't in Close Range, subtract 3 instead.

Slapdash will let Trinity carry him out.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2017-06-06 at 10:44 PM.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Damian...blinked once or twice at the giant robot hand that burst up through the lobby. "Man," he muttered to himself, "Eliza picked the worst time to go on holiday."

Then he rippled again, his wings shrinking a little and becoming more raggedy as a vast number of spiked tendrils burst from his shoulderblades as well, lashing out all along the intruding arm. And then he relaxed slightly, letting one of the triplets - in the blaze of light he wasn't quite sure which one it was - pick him up and swoop out with him.

He hadn't finished changing, though. His skin (and his nanite-powered clothing) - changed, chameleon-like, until he was all but indistinguishable from the sky he was silhouetted against. The triplets, being closer to him, could see the faint outlines where he stopped and the sky began, and his eyes hadn't changed at all, but he was otherwise all but invisible.

Show
    Sorry for the delay with this; I thought I'd posted when it was just sitting in my reply box.

Hero point to turn Exhausted into Fatigued.
    Free: Begin blocking sense of hearing, assuming that Subjugation Broadcast is Auditory.
    Move: Shapeshift into Flight 6 (Wings), Regeneration 5, Concealment [regular vision] (Blending, Quirk (does not conceal location, and doesn't function at all within Distance Rank 0)), Speed 6 (Limited [Only to increase Blending speed limit])
    Standard: Tendril Lash on whichever arm is in the lobby, and the torso if possible, power attacking for 5. DC26 Toughness vs Damage on a hit, or Team Attacking with anyone that cares to.
    Vs Arm: (1d20+9)[11]
    Vs Torso: (1d20+9)[22]
    Get carried away by the triplets, which may break Blending. Ideally end up somewhere within Distance 3 of the robot.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so maybe he should've held off on breaking the scientists from the thing's mind-control. But hey, now they know what to hit! Rather...what things to hit. And Eliza's got the money to rebuild this place, right? Right?

His mind spares a split second for those thoughts before he turns deadly serious. They'd fought these in the invasion, and they'd been no pushover then. But now the Defenders of Tomorrow have even less firepower than during the invasion, and just as much worry for the safety of civilians. His first thought was to 'port the newly-freed scientists to safety. His flute was half-raised already before the triplets begin to shine with a radiant light in the mindscape.

Oh, right. Angels.

That still leaves the problem of the firepower. There had been enough allies in the invasion that Riordan had been able to buff and support without much trouble. But against this monstrosity, with only six allies (three of which are basically the same combat-entity), they'll need all the firepower they can get.

So he continues to raise his flute to his lips, but the sound he makes now is different from what any of his allies have heard before. It's a melancholy tune, but with an underlying tempo of crazed madness and staccato rhythm. By the time one of the Trinity comes to pick him up, there are two bodies that need a ride out.

~"Guys, meet Gareth,"~ he thinks to the group with a somber tone. The new body in the mindscape is a giant of a man, well over six feet tall, clad in pitch-black armor. A truly massive sword hangs from his back: nearly as wide as the man, barely with a cutting edge...it's more like a slab of iron than a blade. He has short-cropped black hair and a serious look on his face that seems fixed there permanently. A nearly-invisible thread connects Gareth with Riordan.

"This is our stop," he says in a soft voice to whichever triplet had grabbed him. He and Gareth are deposited on a tall building, easily tall enough to keep an eye on most every part of the battle. In the real world, Gareth's appearance is only slightly different: the armor has gained a helm, with serrated edges and a pointed appearance that evokes a vicious hound. Gareth swings the sword off his back with ease despite its bulk and visibly readies himself for the fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    For those who don't get the base for Gareth, here's how he looks:

Spoiler: In the mindscape
    Show

Spoiler: In the real world
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Oh no way we're so sharing that one.

After escaping the building with Trinity's help, Suzie looks at the megaphone device she's been using, the impending mecha, back to the megaphone and then to the unconcious goons in power armor deposited reasonably nearby before grinning.

Oh, this is gonna be so cooooool.

Suzie darts over to the closest one and gets to work, systematically removing the weapon systems from it.

Sorry SUZ-E and Goggles, I need to power these somehow.

As she starts rigging the weapons together she starts tearing her previous gear apart, save for the hoverboard, which only loses a portion of it's power generator.

Spoiler: Shuffle Shuffle.
    Show
    Spending a hero point and my action to change Suzie's Array of gadgets.

Spoiler: Suzie's New Array
    Show
    Scavenged Weapon Rig:Array [40+3] (Removable -8) [35]
    "Railgun" Ranged Damage 10 Linked to Ranged Weaken Toughness 10 (Resisted by Toughness)[40]
    [AE]"Laser Cannon" Perception Damage 10 (Alternate Resistance:Dodge)[40]
    [AE]"GalactiCorp Smart Napalm" Damage 10 (Area:Cone, Secondary Effect, Selective) [40]
    [AE]"Taserfist" Strength-Based Damage 0 (Secondary Effect) Linked to Affliction 10 (Impaired/Stunned/Incapacitated, Fort)(Cumlative, Secondary Effect) [40]
    -Hoverboard [7] (Easily Removable -2) [5]
    Flight 7 (Platform)

Her scavenging complete, Suzie turns to the giant Mech, hefting the railgun and bringing it to bear, ready to fire.

You're next.
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

As Gareth appeared in the mindlink, Amy sent, ~Oh, um, h-~

Her greeting was cut off by Trinity. ~Gareth!~ the angel greeted in a...somewhat deeper, definitely more bombastic voice than he had used previously, striding past the siblings in the mindscape to give the warrior a firm handclasp. ~You old louse-picker! You old cheese eater! I still owe you that ale!~

And you know, it wasn't like, externally, they didn't have things to deal with. But nonetheless, in the sped-up time of the mindscape, all three of the siblings, even Nadia, were staring at in the angel in utter bewilderment.

~Um...?~

~...What just happened?~

~This...the world isn't how it used to be and nobody told me it was changing.~
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2017-06-12 at 12:35 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

"All non-essential doors now open." Holly responded to Caleb, every door in the building that wasn't going to make the situation worse by doing so slid open at the AI's command, except of course for those of the Epsilon lab, which clung stubbornly to their lock down protocols. Still with the android leaving a path straight to the lab in its wake as it clawed its way to the surface, this didn't really pose much of a problem.

With their path cleared the Springs would have no problem rushing through the facility, warning sirens still blaring all around them, and securing what few civilians remained (evacuation having already began when the Epsilon lab went in lock down) along with the building's would be robbers, who were either too unconscious or too busy dancing to argue and the recently freed scientists. Still somewhat disorientated from their stint under mind control and finding themselves several blocks away in the blink of an it was all they could do to join the civilians in rubbing their eyes and mumbling something about wings and beautiful light and angels...

((QD take a Hero Point for getting the civilians clear))Though clear is pretty relative when dealing with mecha

It was to the credit of whoever had designed the Astonishing Industries building that it remained standing even as the alien war machine left a vaguely humanoid outline in its first six stories as it lumbered forward, crushing cars and pavement alike under its four-pronged feet.

"THIS WORLD, ITS PEOPLE, NATURAL RESOURCES AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NOW BELONG TO THE GALACTICORP CONGLOMERATE. YOU WILL STAND DOWN AND AWAIT GLOBAL TRANSFER OF POWER. NON-COMPLIANCE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED."

The android's mechanical voice boomed, its single red eye scanning the streets and buildings around it for its targets, whilst beneath its feet the, now far too large, Epsilon forcefully reintegrated with several basement floors violently shaking the foundations of the thankfully empty building.

Show
    Initiative
    Suzie: (1d20+12)[21]
    Trinity: (1d20)[12]
    Genesis: (1d20)[16]
    Slapdash: (1d20+4)[15]
    Riordan: (1d20)[12]
    Gareth: (1d20)[6]

Invasion Android Magnus (1d20)[4]

Okay gang, I couldn't come up with a decision myself so I thought I'd open up the floor on this one. This encounter has the potential to change local very quickly with the movement speeds of everyone involved but that being said would you guys like a map?

Spoiler: Technology DC25
    Show
    The humanoid shape of the machine is apt in more ways than it seems. The controlling AI for the whole thing is stored in the head segment.

Defenders are on turn!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2017-06-13 at 01:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

In the Mindscape...

For a brief moment, Gareth regards Trinity with the same somber, grim expression as he'd had since his appearance. But without a warning his battered face breaks out into a wide, friendly grin. He returns the grasp, and goes further to grip Trinity's arm in camaraderie. ~"Fat lotta good that'll do me now, you old codger! Waited 'till I died to bring that up, that's just like you! 'Course, that means I don't have to give back that feathered cap, so who's the real winner, eh?"~

Riordan's mental image looks at the scene with almost a fond nostalgia. ~"The mindscape's going down for a bit, guys; gonna give the robot a reason not to attack the civvies."~

In the real world...

"We don't give a fat frog's a** what you won't tolerate," Riordan mutters at the monstrosity's declaration. "You're just a sack of nuts and bolts waiting to get trashed! Now eat sword, jackass!"

In the real world, Gareth bellows out a loud challenge in tandem with Riordan's. With a powerful leap, the black-armored behemoth barrels straight for the robot's torso. With a sound of rushing air, the slab of iron called Gareth's sword swings through the air to crash down on the reinforced plating of the robot's shell. If it hits, the impact would send shockwaves through the robot, causing widespread weakening of its inner systems.

Riordan, for his part, continues to play the song connecting Gareth to the physical world. With burst of mystical energy and effort, he wills the landscape around them to change in the robot's appearance. The streets, buildings, cars all look the same--but there are no visible civilians to the robot. Hopefully that'll keep its attention on them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Taunt at -5, (1d20+11)[24]

Standard action: Concentrate on the Summon

EE: Use Illusory Terrain: All Senses Illusion, Rank 1, of an empty city, Selective to the robot. DC 11 Insight to see through if there is a reason for it to be seen through.

Gareth

Move: Leap/Speed to Close range with the torso.

Standard action: Pure Destruction, AoA/Pa -5/+5 at (1d20+6)[21] vs DC 34 Damage, DC 29 Toughness-Resisted Weaken Toughness, Progressive (Successive failures overlap, not stack)

HP: 2
    Luck: 3/3

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Nadia couldn't help but grin as the giant killbot burst forth in all its glory. "Dude! Didn't you get the email? Your team totally already lost!" Nadia shot back at its pronouncement.

Riordan's mindlink went down, but the one she shared with her siblings was still up and running. ~Okay, I know this thing is a huge threat to the city, and people are in danger, and all that. I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of the situation. But you guys, I'm sorry, but flame-blast I love this job!~

~Well, I'm glad someone's having fun,~ Caleb sent back, deadpan.

~We run a defensive game. Nadia, you're on shields. Am-~

~But!~

~No buts, Nadia. You have our best proactive defense. We need you keeping that up as much as you can. Even heroes of our level can't risk too many direct hits from this thing.~

~But!~

~Nadia. We're counting on you, okay?~

~Bu- Bu- Giant...and the...with the...aww-ww...~

~Amy, you'll be on healing duty as needed, or providing offensive contributions when no one is hurt.
    Caleb, you support them as best suits the situation.~

~Can Amy and I switch powers? Is that a thing we can do?~

~GO!~

Caleb and Nadia flew towards Damian. He was most likely to be in close combat the most (excepting Gareth, but non-summons had defensive priority) so he was most important to defend early. Nadia cast out her shield, filling the three of them (and anyone else who had chosen to be set down in the vicinity) with a rush of supernatural confidence. Into that spell, Caleb channeled the power of Faith. Those two ideals, each powerful on their own, became something greater when linked together, as sheer confidence was tempered by willful certainty, and pure conviction was inflamed by extraordinary possibility.

Then they separated, not wanting to present a cluster of targets. Amy, meanwhile, winged towards the robot.

Of the three, she was absolutely the least combative. Amy vastly preferred using her powers to heal than to harm. And the truth was, she didn't share her sister's total self-confidence, or her brother's unfailing conviction. The thought of engaging such an enemy directly was, frankly, terrifying.

But her city was in peril. The people she had spent her life among. Her neighbors, her coworkers, her friends, her family. To say nothing for her fellow heroes and her twins, all risking their lives to defend their city from this monstrous construction. Amy was a healer at heart, but here's the thing. At the end of the day? There was no force stronger than a person fighting to defend what they loved.

Fists blazing with bright pink light, Amy swooped in to deliver a powerful punch to the robot's chest, before winging back out of its reach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hero Point to negate Exhaustion.

Move: Caleb and Nadia move to Damian, Amy to the robot.

Free: Reconfigure Triplecast. Deflect 10 (Burst Area, Secondary Effect, Reduced Range [Close]) Linked Damage 10.

Standard: Triplecast. Caleb, Nadia, Damian, and anyone who is starting in 30' of Damian are Deflected at 1d10+20, -1 per point of Toughness above 10, for two rounds. Power Attack for 5 on the torso at (1d20+5)[9]. On a hit, Toughness DC 30 vs. Damage. Hahano

Move-by Action: Scatter, 500' apart, 900' in the air.

Current Status: Fatigued, Caleb and Nadia Deflected (1d10+16).
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2017-06-13 at 04:02 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a part of Damian that was...a little bit disconcerted by the feeling of confidence and conviction that suddenly welled up within him when Caleb and Nadia used their magic. They meant well, of course, but that didn't stop him from feeling slightly uncomfortable with how easily they could affect his emotions - especially when he'd seen what they could do if they turned their attention to hurting people with their powers instead of helping them.

As much to distract himself from these thoughts as to take advantage of the supernatural confidence he had been instilled with, he swooped in after the robot, calling out to it to try to distract it from Amy's punch (not that it helped). "Hey, tin man! I think you're a few months behind the times." As Amy swooped away from it, Damian flew close to its neck. "Or didn't you get the memo? You lost." His mass of tendrils lashed out for the robot's face and shoulders before he followed in Amy's footsteps and swooped back away from the oversized android.

Show
    Move: Close with the android.
    Standard: Attack the Torso and Head with Tendril Lash, all-out and power attacking for 5 and hoping that it doesn't have Area Interpose. DC26 Toughness vs Damage on a hit.
    To-hit Torso: (1d20+14)[19]
    To-hit Head: (1d20+14)[23]
    Move-by Action: Fly away again, Distance Rank 3.

Status: -5 to dodge & parry, deflected at 1d10+16, visually concealed.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Slapdash staggers slightly as the ground shakes around them. Well, add some more to the bill the Futurist is going to send us after all of this, he thinks gloomily to himself, watching as Astonishing Industries gets more and more damaged.

Slapdash watches the interaction between Trinity and Gareth on the mental landscape closely, brimming with questions. I'm going to need to ask some questions at some point. As the mental connection dissipates, Slapdash looks over the Magnus bot and starts. Wait, we need to--

The connection is gone. Slapdash grumbles under his breath. "Communicators. We all need communicators. If we can get the head, the rest of it should turn off... I think," he calls out to the group, before jetting forward and aiming a massive punch at one of the Magnus bot's glowing red eyes.

Show
    Move Action: Close with the Head.

Standard Action: Megaton Punch on the Magnus Bot Head. (1d20+8)[23] on a Hit, Damage DC 27,
    Fortitude DC 22 vs. Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Prone/Paralyzed & Unaware.

Move-By Action: Fly back out of melee range.

What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

~Did the super justice-y angel just say he owed someone a drink? Can Angels get drunk? Oh, I'm so gonna need to run Tests. Hey Nadia, wanna get drunk later for Science?!~

As the mental landscape cuts out, Suzie hops onto her hoverboard.

I hope this thing isn't smart enough to block shots to it's head.

Kicking the board to life, Suzie ascends higher, albeit slower than previously, To get a clean shot at the mecha's head with her newly... acquired... weaponry.

Spoiler: Suzie's Stolen Shooter!
    Show
    [Railgun] Ranged Damage 10 Linked to Ranged Weaken Toughness 10 (Resisted by Toughness) On the Mecha's head.
    DC25 toughness and DC20 weaken toughness. (1d20+10)[26]
    Last edited by metakirb; 2017-06-17 at 03:03 AM.
    The attempted return!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The power of love and ancient sword play might have failed to dent the armour of the enormous mechanical war machine but Damien's tendrils struck a solid blow, leaving scratches all along its shoulders whilst the power of SCIENCE! managed to inflict similar damage on the behemoth's glowing red eye and again on one of its arms when it sprung to defend it.

Bothering it far more than any damage it had sustained however was the news of the Invasion, to say that it took it poorly would be an understatement...

"THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE!"

The machine's head tilted upwards and sighted Nadia, its eye glowing a threatening red as its laser lances out towards the angel. At the same time the light on its torso hummed in to life and fired towards Genesis, leaving a crackling shield of energy surrounding its head piece as it tried to silence the second of its tormentors.

With most the Defenders buzzing around it like insects and wisely deciding to keep a safe distance away it left only Gareth within the mecha's grasp as it tried to scoop the brave warrior up in its titanic grasp.

Show
    Invasion Android Magnus (Head)
    Standard: Eye Lasers at Trinity DC27 Dodge Save vs Damage
    Move:Dazed

Invasion Android Magnus (Torso)
    Standard: Defensive Systems at Genesis (1d20+12)[27] DC27+Multiattack Toughness Save if that hits.The head is Deflected at 1d10+16 Hits
    Move:Dazed

Invasion Android Magnus (Left/Right Arm)
    Standard:Team Attack Crushing Grip at Gareth (1d20+13)[21] (1d20+13)[22] DC31+Team Attack Toughness Save vs Damage, DC26+Team Attack Toughness Save vs Weaken Toughness & DC26+Team Attack Strength/Dodge Save vs Grab if that hits. DC22 Dodge Save & DC27/21 Toughness Save vs Damage, DC22/16 Toughness Save vs Weaken Toughness and DC26/16 Strength/Dodge vs Grab if that misses. Hits, +2 for Team Attack
    Move:Nah

Defenders are on turn!
    Last edited by Dodgeson; 2017-06-18 at 12:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

~I've tried that!~ Nadia sent in response to Suzie's suggestion. ~Trinity will never actually come right out and tell us about, like, where he actually comes from and stuff. So one night I go out, get completely plastered to try and get him to spill, but he didn't experience my drunkenness! Despite living in my head! Worst hangover ever, and for nothing! ...Not that this means I'm opposed to the "get drunk later for Science" plan in the general sense, mind.~

~...You realize Riordan's mindlink is down, right?~

~Huh?~

~Only ones who heard that are us.~

~...Crap.~

Meanwhile, a slightly more tactically relevant telepathic discussion was going on between the other half of the headspace.

~Amy, I said attack only if no healing was required.~

~Yeah. It hasn't had a chance to attack anyone yet.~

~Suzie and Trevor are both still battered from the previous battle. And Riordan did not escape unscathed either.~

~Oh! Oh I totally didn't even think! Um, um, okay! Caleb, Nadia, go to Trevor and Suzie. We're hitting the Life Line Triple Tech!~

~The who?~

~Life Line! It's the one where Crono, Marle, and Robo...oh never mind, just, just, channel power to me and be ready to catch!~ Yes, Amy played video games. No, her siblings generally didn't.

The triplets flew back closer, quickly scanning the field and then swooping to their targets. Amy saw that Gareth was hurt now too (although she hadn't passed close enough to Damian to see that he was thanks to his chameleon power), and flew towards him. Caleb and Nadia pointed their hands in her direction, channeling their power into her. She melded their energy with hers', fueled it with her power of her compassion, and sent two-thirds of it back to them. They each laid hands on one of their allies, the pink light of Amy's power flowing through them all to heal what they could.

Then up they went again, flying high to stay out of range of the robot's laser eyes, but not so high that they couldn't intervene if one of their allies really needed it. The light around their wings faded some, their eyes shining with silver, blue, and pink, allowing them to better keep tabs on the battlefield.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Caleb to Suzie, Nadia to Trevor, Amy to Gareth.

Free: Reconfigure Triplecast. Healing 12 (10 ranks Restorative, Quirk [Heal Order], Quirk 3 [Staggered costs 2 degrees, Incapacitated costs 3]).

Standard: Triplecast, using the Divine Magic feature to split the results among up to three allies. The full Restorative function goes to Gareth, while degrees are split among them as follows: Suzie, Trevor, Gareth, Trevor, Suzie, and if I crit the last one will go to (1: Trevor, 2: Suzie): (1d2)[2]. Healing check: (1d20+12)[13] 27. Gareth recovers 10 Toughness, Suzie and Gareth both heal a Bruise, Trevor heals two Bruises.

Move-by Action: Into the air, but only 400' up and 200' apart. Still more than a football field in the air so might be enough to avoid the laser, but I want to be close enough to Interpose if needed so I'll take the risk.

Free: Swap Angelic Prowess to Angelic Senses, reducing Flight rank to 5 (4 after Fatigue) and gaining Darkvision, Extended Vision 2, Rapid Vision 2.

End of Turn: Secondary Effect triggers. Caleb, Nadia, and Damian are again Deflected.

Current Status: Fatigued, Caleb and Nadia Deflected at 1d10+16.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2017-06-18 at 02:25 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Damian grinned, not that anyone could really see given his chameleon-like skin, as he felt his serrated tendrils bite into the robot's shoulders before he winged his way back away from the robot, camouflaged against the sky. "Hell yeah!" he crowed, more to himself than anyone else. "This'll be done in no -"

Then an energy blast nailed him in the chest, sending him into a series of unwanted backflips until he stretched his wings out to their full extent to regain his balance. "...ow," he muttered. The blast hadn't hurt particularly, but it had still caught him a little off guard. Pride goeth and all that, I guess.

His skin returned to its normal hue, leaving him once again visible, as his shoulders - and most of his back - stretched out into more tendrils, these ones large enough that the serrated edges on them were visible to the naked eye, which speared across the air towards the giant robot. "Impossible?" he shouted back at the android as his tendrils tried to coil around its neck. "Look around, you dumb hunk of metal! Your precious Galacticorp isn't here!"

Show
    Thinking about it, the concealment thing probably wasn't the best idea at the best of times, never mind the fact that the robot turned out to have Precise Attack. So...yay, somewhat-wasted turns!

Move: Shapeshift to Regeneration 5, Flight 5 [Wings], Elongation 5. Damian is Distance 3 away from the robot, so I think it is now in Close range of him thanks to Elongation. (Never actually used a character with Elongation that I can remember, so I may mess something up here.)
    Standard: Tendril Lash on Torso + Head, all-out and power attacking for 5. DC26 Toughness vs Damage on a hit, and I guess I may as well try to Grab the robot since that would keep it away from me and there's really no reason not to, so DC21 (for the Head) / 15 (for the Torso) Strength or Dodge vs Fast Grab via Natural Combatant as well.
    Vs Torso: (1d20+14)[22]
    Vs Head: (1d20+14)[23]

Status: 1 Bruise (regenerates next round), -5 to defences, deflected at 1d10+18.