New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: I did a fanart.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I did a fanart.

I'm honestly not sure what happened here. It started out as a rough sketch of Miko/Celia and just went places. I've been experimenting with light/shading recently, so I feel like the technique is starting to pay off.

EDIT: Deviantart page here. I was thinking I might follow up with modern versions of a few of the lad regulars, time allowing- any suggestions?

EDIT: Updated version with some softer light fx.

EDIT: In lieu of suggestions, I just picked a few subjects at random. I'm more-or-less happy with how Roy and Tsukiko turned out, but Therkla and Nale/Elan might need a second pass.

EDIT: Done. For real this time!
    Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2017-05-03 at 05:27 PM.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: I did a fanart.

Wow! It's really well colored. I wish it was a bit bigger so I could make out the details.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Cheers. Close-up here, if you'll pardon the acne. If you're looking for a how-to, I did keep some snaps of the intermediate stages, but there isn't a ton of extra detail per se.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hey, that's a cool style and lights looks very good. Maybe it's just me but I feel like their arms might be a bit too short. Anyway, I like how you made their personality stand out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The interesting thing is that I don't even like half these characters, yet I do enjoy the intellectual exercise of imagining 21st-century counterparts. Nale and Elan individually exasperate me, but for some reason a blonde attention-seeking DJ makes total sense to me. Is Roy a gun nut? Is Durkon an alcoholic hobo? Was Miko raised by a cult? Does Shojo need to run election campaigns? OOTS is so rife with millennial pop references that it's a natural fit in some ways, but the disparity between modern sensibilities and adventuring cliché is actively unsettling in others.

Anyway, it seemed like a fun way to practice rendering technique for my, uh, more regular projects. ...You may be right about the arms.
    Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2017-05-01 at 02:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Great work!