New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Stegyre's Forgotten Forge IC

Ceracis

Typical. Only the rich can afford to be stingy.

Ceracis just smiles, but it being an expression he unpractised with, it looks more like a horse showing its teeth.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad nodded, clearly interested in the opportunity, but wandering what else was being left unsaid. At a couple of offer's to help, he finally nodded to the woman. "I will offer my services to your expedition as well, m'lady. Might your House offer any equipment or supplies at a reduced rate?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Already got some chalk, a waterskin and food, but yes some rope, extra water (or someone with create water / wand of), and more food might be worth an investment. Everburning torch, perhaps? Campfire beads? Anything useful for underground events - rat repellant? Ghoul Begone? Ooze Away?

Status
    AC: 12 HP: 5 Move: 30'
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2
    Spells: acid splash, prestidigitation, detect magic / mage armor, obscuring mist, summon monster I
    Powers (3/3 points): vigor, energy ray, astral construct
    Skills: Concentration +8, Autohypnosis +5, Psi/Spellcraft +5, Spot/Search/Listen
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

It's amazing how much brighter the world feels with clean clothes and a full belly, and Katerina smiles easily at Rosa's exclamation of support for the mission.

I'm with her, she thinks, glad for the opportunities to earn both coin and experience as an adventurer. If no-one at the university is willing to train her, well then she will just have learn on the job!

"I will accept both of your offers of employ," Katerina states to the lady Elaydren and the prickly academic. "I am in no position to do otherwise. An advance of water and trail rations would be greatly appreciated however."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    "I will offer my services to your expedition as well, m'lady. Might your House offer any equipment or supplies at a reduced rate?"
    "Only if you are willing to travel to Aundair for your shopping," she replies. "My influence with the local branch of the house is limited under the present circumstances."

"If you have no further questions?"

Looking at the map she has provided, you can see it guides you to the lower levels of the tower but does not show the exact location of E-213 valve cluster. You'll probably have to learn that from the lower-level locals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You may ask any further questions you might have. Otherwise, I suggest you do some shopping -- or you may head directly to the lower levels and start the search for the valve cluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Tyman

The druid extends his hand, "It was a pleasure meeting you ma'am. We shall venture down to the lower levels post haste."

After exiting his employer's house, he looks around at his companions and says, "I think we may need some extra rope and a grappling hook. Just in case something hinky happens."
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #66

Ceracis

"We should get to the markets then. And we will need discretion," he adds. "Do you know of a merchant who will sell items without caring why we're buying them?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Forge

The chunky warforged looks around at the others. "Thank you Lady Cannith. We will seek this valve cluster and the doorway beyond." Turning his head a full 180 degrees to look at the others "Do we need any supplies or shall we head down into the cellars and the sewers." CLunking around he looks at the young waif he had taken under his shield. "Miss Katrina. I can help you with the trail rations if you so wish."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa

Rosa nods at the suggestion to head to the market, feeling ill-equipped to be wandering around underground fifty-seven levels below the sewers.

Food, water, torches, rope... she starts working through a list in her head.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    CLunking around he looks at the young waif he had taken under his shield. "Miss Katrina. I can help you with the trail rations if you so wish."
    "I continue to be in your debt, officer." Katrina smiles at the big warforged. "If this expedition goes as planned it should set me back on my feet. I swear I shall repay you!"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Collecting the bag of gold pieces, the party departs for a quick trip to the market and then to plumb the depths of Dorasharn Tower.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to purchase any supplies you think you may want and add them to your sheet. Someone better keep an eye on Ceracis, who is doubtless the one who grabbed the money bag.

Dorasharn Tower is inhabited from its middle levels upward. A complex sewer system separates the inhabited levels from the lower levels, which have been closed and sealed for more than a millennium.
    You follow Lady Elaydren’s map to the sewer level. The tunnels and corridors at this level of the tower are narrow and dark. An occasional window slit looks out upon the crowded walls and foundations of other towers. Infrequently placed torches sputter here and there, giving off pallid pools of light and clouds of smoke. Even so, rough and dirty people crowd the narrow corridors. The smell of sweat and sewage permeates the stale air.
    One tunnel opens onto a large chamber, where a mix of goblins, humans, and shifters gather around a smile pile of garbage spread across three rotting blankets. One of the goblins shouts, “No pushing! No pushing! There’s always enough for everyone at the Rat’s Market!
    Custom Class

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad bowed to the lady. "Until next we meet.". He took his leave, gathering with the others. He thought they might be better suited to carrying the equipment, but he offered his suggestions on what to purchase.

Show
    Here's an initial list to consider:
    100ft silk rope (20gp) 1 extra flask per person (5gp), 5x rations per person (12.5gp), 5x sunrods (10gp), 5x pints of oil (5sp), 10x chalk (1sp), 5x tindertwig (5gp), 2x acid flasks (10gp), 1x alchemist fire (20gp)
    Total: 83.1gp

Status
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2
    Spells: acid splash, prestidigitation, detect magic / mage armor, obscuring mist, summon monster I
    Skills: Concentration +8, Autohypnosis +5, Psi/Spellcraft +5, Spot/Search/Listen

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"We're not actually here for the market," Kat tells the goblin that spoke up. "We're looking for valve cluster E-213. I believe we could spare a few coins for directions," she says, looking at the purse-bearer Ceracis as she does.

Spoiler
    Show

That list of supplies seems sensible.

13. - Top - End - #73

Ceracis

"Dr." Ceracis doles out coin as the disparate group makes their supply purchases.

Ceracis in the market barely contains the disgust on his face.

Never fails. Build a corner, and a goblin will build a store.

The giant woman asks for money to bribe the gobbo, and reluctantly, Petr relinquishes some gold and silvers.

"This better not be coming out of my fee."

Research doesn't pay for itself. And these weird vagabonds better keep me alive.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-06-28 at 05:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Forge

Forge stands in the corner of the market looking at the others as they scurried around buying the oddities of food and water. "We have done well there my friends. Shall we head to the cluster now? I believe Katrina has found out where we want to go?" His eyes glow a dull red with excitement as he wonders at what mysteries of artifice and magic lie beneath them. He trundles into the market, unaware of any stares that follow. Eyes on the alert for any fellow forged that he may speak with.

Then he waits patiently for Katrina to point him in the right direction.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The goblin -- "Skakan, purveyor of fine goods! I've got a rare stick of sealing wax, only partially used, for a mere sixty coppers. Or maybe you could use this fine woolen blanket with just a hint of mildew? Only thirty-nine coppers. How about a skewer of rat meat --" is not the easiest person to bargain with, repeatedly trying to redirect Kate to his "fine wares."

But he is also not willing to let money just walk away -- "Or perhaps if I could point out the way to a certain valve cluster, what would it be worth to fine explorers such as yourselves? One hundred silver?"
    Spoiler: Morkalakhad
    Show
    You notice there are actually some "bargains" among Skakan's goods: an unused sunrod (25 cp), a bell (23 cp), a scratched-but-still-serviceable steel mirror (38 cp), and 50' of rope (25 cp) -- if you would like to make any purchases.

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    (1d20)[19]!! It's not a great benefit, but you guys continue to surprise.

As the most loquacious (in a generally-not-very-loquacious group) Morkalakhad soon has the goblin down to only 50 silvers for the location of the valve.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2017-06-30 at 12:31 AM.
    Custom Class

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Meanwhile, both Rosa and Forge notice the party is being watched by one of the shifters in the crowd milling around the Rat's Market. When he sees that he has been spotted, however, he quickly fades into the crowd and is gone.
    Custom Class

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad was perusing some of the items when he heard the offer. Shaking his head silently, he frown s over a number of objects, glancing at the goblin with eyes that screamed, 'Really?' After a few moments of an uncomfortable silence, Morkalakhad leaned in close, whispering "I will make a purchase, that should earn you more customers - you drop the price by half. Deal?"

The lean man walked over and selected a few items and placed them done with 6 gold coins, 1 silver piece and a copper penny.. Here you are - that should suffice for hese four items and the information."

Show
    Morkalakhad will buy the four items 111cp) and pay for the information (50sp).

Status
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-06-30 at 10:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa

Seeing the shifter watching them all too intently Rosa nudges Forge and draws his attention to the disappearing observer. "Looks like someone's taken an interest in us. We best be wary down here". she mutters quietly.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Tyman

The druid looks over the goblin's wares. Seeing little he needs, Tyman instead bends down to give his canine a good ear rub. He is either obvious to the danger around him or has enough trust in his new friends to watch his back.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-06-30 at 04:42 PM.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Forge

THe warforged looks at Rosa and nods, his gravelly voice tinged with concern. "This area is not safe normally. These undertunnels and shadow markets are normally patrolled in 4's to not risk our officers." Just to be on the safe side he slowly slides the shield off his back and straps it onto his hand. Loosening the strap aruond the hammer he edges closer to his colleagues ready to assist them should trouble break out.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Katarina

"Well there are six of us," the warrior says, emboldened by a couple square meals and her new company. "I guess we'll just find out whether or not they're feeling lucky."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Tyman

Tyman looks up at Katarina, "Eight, actually. The six of us plus my two loyal companions." He motions to the canine at his feet and the bat that is fluttering around his head.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-06-30 at 05:03 PM.
    DMing:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The goblin does little to hide his greedy grin, as Morkalakhad counts the coins into his palm. Quick as a flash, the gold, silver, and copper disappear somewhere within Skakan’s rags.
    Happily, Skakan rolls up his remaining “goods” (using the term very generously), and motions for the group to follow him. “Right this way; right this way.
    You follow him down several twisting and turning corridors – left, right, right, second left, up-over-garbage pile, right of a partial roof collapse – you would never have found the route on your own, nor even with a very good description.
    Finally, Skakan points out a narrow passage that leads to a staircase descending deeper into the tower. “E-213 Valve Cluster is at the bottom of those stairs. Can’t miss it from here.” He seems to linger for a moment, as if hoping for a tip . . .

You make your way down. With each step, the odor of mold and sewage becomes stronger, and you can hear liquid sounds increasing in volume as you descend.
    The narrow staircase in only 5’ wide, so you need to proceed single file.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Give me a marching order, please. As redzimmer is away for the while, feel free to stick Ceracis wherever, although he certainly wouldn’t go first from what we know of him.:)
    Custom Class

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Forge

Staring down the dank staircase Forge grunts, a sound like a rivet dropping on the floor. "If someone behind can hold a light I shall lead the way if you wish." Hoping someone hefts a light he leads down the stairs with his shield, hammer in the other hand ready to smash anything that leaps out of the shadows and trusting to his adamantine construction to ward off the worst of any damage that may come his way.

25. - Top - End - #85

Ceracis

"Shirak."

Ceracis casts light upon a copper coin, walking behind the warforged. Trying his best to keep it aloft in his off-hand, he draws his long knife.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Katerina hesitates for a moment. She feels like she wants to be at the front leading the way with Officer Forge and confronting the most obvious danger that's likely to come from the front, and she certainly doesn't want to give the appearance of being anything less than brave! But she knows that the rear is the statistically most vulnerable part of the group and needs defending too. Plus it's probably better that she doesn't give the appearance of needing Officer Forge to hold her hand. It's the smarter place to be. So allows the others to file past her until she's bringing up the rear.

"I'll make sure nothing tries to sneak up on us from behind."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

After a final bend in the stairway, you reach the sewage pipe – a 10’ wide “corridor” with six valves spaced along each of the north and south walls. The valves open periodically to release more waste water into the pipe. The water is not too deep, but deep enough (difficult terrain), and Oh, the Smell!!!

Forge leading the way, followed by Ceracis with his light, make their way all the way down the steps to the sewage pipe. Next comes Tyman and his pets. It is only Rosa, with her sharp eyes, who detects the shape hiding in the final bend of the stairway and gives a warning shout!
    Spoiler: Surprise Round
    Show
    Only Rosa and the hiding warforged are able to act. Initiative:
    warforged - (1d20+3)[11]
    Rosa - (1d20+1)[9]

Because of the narrow stairwell, only Rosa and Morkalakhad are adjacent to the attacker.
    Custom Class

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Seeing that his cover has been blown, the hiding warforged thrust out with his rapier at Rosa:
    Attack - (1d20+2)[7], damage - (1d6+1)[4]
    Give me the Provost’s journal, and we shall let you live to see another day. Refuse, and we will make your death slow and painful!

(Go, go, Rosa!)
    Custom Class

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosa

What the -...A slow and painful death sounds best avoided... "Eat it, rustbucket!" in a split second Rosa parries the blow, kicks the swordarm away and strikes out with her own blade

Spoiler: rolls & status
    Show
    Standard action: Shadow blade technique shortsword (1d20+5)[13](1d20+5)[19] (incl Island of Blades) damage (1d6+2)[4]

Rosa
    Female NG Human Ranger 1// Feat Rogue 1, Level 1//1, Init 1, HP 9/9, Speed 30ft
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 1, Action Points 5/5
    Shortsword +3 (1d6+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Dagger +3 (1d4+2, 19-20/ x2)
    Shortbow (20 arrows) +2 (1d6, x3)
    Chain shirt (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Condition
    Stance: Island of Blades. Opponents are flanked if adjacent to Rosa + an ally
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2017-07-06 at 04:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Morkalakhad blinked in surprise as another warforged leapt out to attack. "Why do these constructs keep attacking us? And how do they keep locating us?" He suddenly realized the book was probably the source of detection.

While a man of a more martial bent would have taken advantage of Rosa's skillful distractions, Morkalakhad was not such a man. Stumbling back, the psion called forth a lightning bolt of power.

Show
    5' step back, energy ray (electrical ray). Ranged attack - (1d20+5)[15], Damage - (1d6)[2]

Status
    F +1 R +2 W +3 Init +2
    Powers (2/3 points): vigor, energy ray, astral construct
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-12 at 03:28 AM.