New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Persistent Metamagic question

Can you have multiple persistent spells at one time. I got a player who has 4 different persisted spells. I thought you could only have 1 persistent spell on yourself at a time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Persistent Metamagic question

Yes, you can. You might be confusing it with Contingent spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Technetium43 View Post
    This guy's right.

Is this player a Cleric, by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, you can have as many persisted spell as you can cast. However, having multiple persisted spells in your daily routine generally requires decent investment. Note that persisted spell can be dispelled as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Technetium43 View Post
    Note that this applies only to spells made contingent through the Contingency spell or effects based on it. Other sources of contingent spell may have different limits. For example, Craft Contingent Spell (Complete Arcane) allows a number of contingent spells up to your HD.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alex1g View Post
    Can you have multiple persistent spells at one time. I got a player who has 4 different persisted spells. I thought you could only have 1 persistent spell on yourself at a time.
    Banning metamagic cost reduction in general, and Divine Metamagic in particular, is a common and sensible house rule.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Banning metamagic cost reduction in general, and Divine Metamagic in particular, is a common and sensible house rule.
    Even then, it would still be possible to have as many 0th level spells persisted on a given character as she has 6th level slot, 1st level spells persisted as she has 7th level slots, 2nd level spells persisted as she has 8th level slots and 3rd level spells persisted as she has 9th level slots. Such a number is higher than 1.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pine View Post
    Even then, it would still be possible to have as many 0th level spells persisted on a given character as she has 6th level slot, 1st level spells persisted as she has 7th level slots, 2nd level spells persisted as she has 8th level slots and 3rd level spells persisted as she has 9th level slots. Such a number is higher than 1.
    True, but if your Cleric is using all their high-level spell slots to Persist low-level spells, they're not exactly living up to their full potential.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Do keep in mind that the Contingency spell, the Persistent spell metamagic feat, and the Permanency spell are all different things with their own mechanics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Most of that is actually fine. Some builds (primary blasters) need metamagic cost reduction to function, and with most metamagic feats it's strong to varying degrees but not overpowered.
    If your casters running around with persisted spells annoys you what you should be banning is Persistent Spell, not metamagic cost reducers.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If Persistent spell is a recurring problem by unbalancing encounters make the next Boss villain prepare the spell Magical Backlash from DotU. It deals 2 points of damage per spell level affecting the target so if he has 3 1st level spells persisted and 2 6th levels then (12+3)x2 it deals 30 damage. It has a fort save for half but it is still basically the bane of persistomancers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    If Persistent spell is a recurring problem by unbalancing encounters make the next Boss villain prepare the spell Magical Backlash from DotU. It deals 2 points of damage per spell level affecting the target so if he has 3 1st level spells persisted and 2 6th levels then (12+3)x2 it deals 30 damage. It has a fort save for half but it is still basically the bane of persistomancers.
    That's less damage than a basic Fireball, and it's single target.

If buffs (persisted or otherwise) are a problem you're better off dispelling them. Unless there's a large difference between CL a targeted Dispel will always at least strip something.
    A chained Dispel (or Chain Dispel at high level) even more so, while also suppressing magic items.

Unless we're talking about people running around with 10+ high level spells all Magical Backlash is the bane of is efficient action and spell slot usage.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Warlock with voracious dispelling is the bane to these people. Dispel magic at will AND it causes damage when it works. In all not the best incantation but for some NPCs its gold.
    Few things are more disturbing to a dragon than to be attacked by a naked gnome slathered in BBQ sauce.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    True, but if your Cleric is using all their high-level spell slots to Persist low-level spells, they're not exactly living up to their full potential.
    Cleric and druid spells above 7th level are actually tacked on. 2nd edition casters only went up to 7th level unless you are playing a mage (or illusionist) and that's why those spells are mostly rehashed lower level variants and kinda lackluster.