New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Monster Campaign Module 1 - Review Requested

I'm posting here as well, because I may have misposted this in the past (wrong forum). I'm creating a new world that is basically a set of one shot modules for my table. My goal is to have 4-5 of these little one night modules written in in my back pocket for days that someone if sick or the normal adventure DM didn't have enough time to prepare.

A few other things to note. I've been playing 5e for about 2 years and have never DMed or wrote modules. So, please be gentle. That being said, if this looks like it wouldn't be fun to play please tell me. I would rather be shot down by people in a forum than present something boring to friends.

And thank you so much for anyone who took the time to read, I really do appreciate input from those that are more experienced than I am

Spoiler: PC Instructions, Table Rules, and Module Helpers
    Show
    Some set up instructions for the players
    Monster Campaign.

-Roll 4d6 drop 1 for stats
    -Monster Races are Required, listed at the options currently on the table:
    Lizardfolk, Kendu, Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Orc, Dark Elf, Dreugar. I’m also open to other monstrous races, but reserve the right to adjust or deny them based on perceived power.

-You can also choose the Vampire from here https://media.wizards.com/2016/downl...20Zendikar.pdf but the race will be called Vampire Kin and you will get the sunlight sensitivity from Kobolds.
    Disadvantage on attack and Perception checks when you or the target is in direct sunlight

-Since this is experimental, feel free to create 2 characters each and send them to me. You can switch out characters at the beginning each module. All characters will be the same level.

-Equipment is earned by the group and can go to the PC where it makes the most sense. However, I don’t want the 1 set of full plate available to go to the Cleric in one module, then to the Paladin in the next module because the Cleric isn’t being played, then the Fighter in a third module because neither of them are being played. You are all monster PC and monsters don’t share very well all the time.

-There will be no XP, you will level as a group at the end of a certain modules. This includes characters that are not being used and players that are out.being and characters from players who are not there.

-You are given a feat at level 1. This is to help you get to your builds a little faster and will also help make up for the low resources and item availability.

-Multiclassing is allowed, but I will require a RP reason.

-There will be no purchasing of magic items. You won’t even be able to buy potions unless you can find a way into a monster city where you would be welcome.

-Equipment other than common items (rope, torches, clothing, etc) must be found or stolen. Merchants are afraid of you and won’t sell to you. If your character has special equipment that is important to the built, let me know andspecific items that are important to your build, let me know and I will make the item something you can find (although you may miss out on a chance to find it if you are not observant or lucky)

-You may be evil monsters, but remember if you tick off to many people before you get powerful, you will be hunted down.

In module 1, you will start with nothing other than the clothes on your back. That means you will not have spell books and spell foci (focuses, whatever), you will have to find everything to be able to use it. I will be generous about what items are still still usable after completing combat. Kit and tool proficiencies will be important to better your characters.

Future Module Ideas

Break out of the dungeons and free yourself

Find local goblin caves and earn a safe place to live by raiding a few local caravans

Get information from the Caravans about the thieves guild from the note in the thieves tools. Seek to join it, seek to take over it, seek to steal from it. Whatever...

One of the Knights from module 1 will come with an adventuring party to clear out the caves.
    Destroying the local town in retaliation for the adventurers who attacked you in your caves.

Breaking into a larger city to steal better equipment

Heist, sneaking in and stealing an scrying orb the big bad is using to track and hunt them down. Turns out it's locked down and can't be stolen, but can be broken
    Kidnap/assassinate a mayor in a larger city to cause instability in a region

Break in and burn down the temple
    Take over local Goblin caves and become the leaders

Destroy a tribe of Orge’s threatening your control of the region
    Sneak in and either take or destroy the keep of the local lord who is leading the effort to capture your group.

If you took control of the keep then a group will attack in an attempt to take it back. If not, they will attack you in the caves

Here is the link to the Module itself.... I'm a moron for not including it at first
    Google Docs link to the module
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2017-04-23 at 02:21 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot and didn't include the link to my module

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Monster Campaign Module 1 - Review Requested

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I'm posting here as well, because I may have misposted this in the past (wrong forum). I'm creating a new world that is basically a set of one shot modules for my table. My goal is to have 4-5 of these little one night modules written in in my back pocket for days that someone if sick or the normal adventure DM didn't have enough time to prepare.
    That's a great thing to do. I've been on both sides of that situation - the scheduled DM who wasn't ready and the rescue DM who did have something ready - so I can tell you it is much appreciated.
    Some set up instructions for the players
    Monster Campaign.

-Roll 4d6 drop 1 for stats
    -Monster Races are Required, listed at the options currently on the table:
    Lizardfolk, Kendu, Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kobold, Orc, Dark Elf, Dreugar. I’m also open to other monstrous races, but reserve the right to adjust or deny them based on perceived power. [Etc.]
    In the situation you'll be using these modules, creating characters takes time you don't want to lose. Advice the group that you're doing this and ask them to make up a character or two ahead of the first time it comes up, or expect the first time to be all or mostly about character creation.

That said, the idea of playing the monsters sounds like a lot of fun and you're likely to get the others asking you to run these NOW rather than waiting until they're needed as backup.

-There will be no XP, you will level as a group at the end of a certain modules. This includes characters that are not being used and players that are out.being and characters from players who are not there.
    Hmm. I get why, but it doesn't sit right. Maybe that's just me. If this is how it will be then I'd make it a level every time. Put yourself in a player's shoes; you've just finished an adventure, you're not leveling, and your not even getting XPs to get closer to leveling.

-There will be no purchasing of magic items. You won’t even be able to buy potions unless you can find a way into a monster city where you would be welcome.

-Equipment other than common items (rope, torches, clothing, etc) must be found or stolen. Merchants are afraid of you and won’t sell to you.
    Prepare yourself for clever players finding clever ways to cleverly get around this. They'll try disguising themselves, by magic if they can get their hands on the right spells or items. They might try cultivating a human contact whom they can trust to buy stuff for them for a fee. They'll surely come up with things neither of us anticipates. And if they earn it, let them. Make it hard, but don't try too hard to make it impossible.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Monster Campaign Module 1 - Review Requested

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    That's a great thing to do. I've been on both sides of that situation - the scheduled DM who wasn't ready and the rescue DM who did have something ready - so I can tell you it is much appreciated.

In the situation you'll be using these modules, creating characters takes time you don't want to lose. Advice the group that you're doing this and ask them to make up a character or two ahead of the first time it comes up, or expect the first time to be all or mostly about character creation.
    Thanks a lot for the review and the thoughts. I really do appreciate the input. I've instructed the other players in the campaign about it and they are already creating characters to play. I want this to be experimental in nature, so letting them have multiple characters is just a way they they can try things out.

So far I've seen interest in doing a Sword and Board Bugbear Barbarian, A Kendu Wizard, a Goblin Revised Ranger Beastmaster who will be riding his beast, a Kendu Rogue, and a Vampire Kin Fallen Paladin. Now the thing I am struggling with is to find ways to give the players the unique items needs (rare herbs for attracting your beast as a beast master, magical inks for scribing into a spellbook, items for summoning a familiar).

That said, the idea of playing the monsters sounds like a lot of fun and you're likely to get the others asking you to run these NOW rather than waiting until they're needed as backup.
    I hope so, I want to try and turn it upside down. So far in module two it's turning into a story similar to wicked. A story told by sympathetic characters who are normally the antagonists.

Hmm. I get why, but it doesn't sit right. Maybe that's just me. If this is how it will be then I'd make it a level every time. Put yourself in a player's shoes; you've just finished an adventure, you're not leveling, and your not even getting XPs to get closer to leveling.
    I will keep your leveling idea in mind. It certainly does make sense that they would want to see some progression, and leveling after each module will be an easy enough way to do this. It will make it harder on me to create higher and higher level modules, but if I have the time I hope to I should be okay. I think eventually the characters are going to end up claiming the throne of the kingdom and make it into a sanctuary kingdom for Monster. So, that is certainly a good long term goal

Prepare yourself for clever players finding clever ways to cleverly get around this. They'll try disguising themselves, by magic if they can get their hands on the right spells or items. They might try cultivating a human contact whom they can trust to buy stuff for them for a fee. They'll surely come up with things neither of us anticipates. And if they earn it, let them. Make it hard, but don't try too hard to make it impossible.

I hope they do, I encourage that. I want to stretch the imagination, I want there to be unique solutions. The best gear isn't out there at the beginning and there isn't much magic. So, find a different way. Use traps, use poison, cheat, steal, rob, coerce, disguise yourself. Except everything you do has a danger, you could easily get caught and finding someone to raise you isn't going to be easy.

Module two is nearing completion at Module 2 It's coming together from an encounter perspective, but it still needs some story fill in after successes as well as editing and cleaning up.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2017-04-25 at 06:11 PM.