New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default My World Needs Superhumans

I am starting a story that takes place in the modern world, where superhumans have been around since the 80's and I need help in populated the world and a few organizations with different superhumans. I figured I would reach out to others, rather than trying to think of another 20-40 on my own. So here is a brief breakdown and requirements for what I need. Thanks to all who help!

All superhumans are exactly that. Superpowered and human. No aliens or gadget users. Technology is as it is now. No laser guns, slick hover jets and the like.

I am looking for one or a few powers per superhuman. Not a superman who could easily be split into five different powerful characters.

1) Superhumans should be separated into 1 of 5 classes. A, B, C, D, F. There is also an S class, but all superhumans in it have been created already. The general power of the world will be a lot less than DC or Marvel Universes. There will not be several completely invulnerable baddies (or goodies) or cosmic eating entities.

S-Class- Only three in the world. They hold power that can change it.
    (Example: Able to destroy half a city block in an instant)
    A-Class- A few dozen in the world. Their power and fame also has a major impact on the world. All powers are strong and generally have a few. Or perhaps several moderate powers.
    (Example: Superman without laser eyes, frost breath and such. Just smash, take a hit and fly. Or man of copper instead of steel.)
    B-Class- A few dozen per country/region of the world. Still generally on the world stage. Either have one extremely strong power or a few strong/moderate powers.
    (Example: A government will send an army to defeat you. But if you don't run, you'll lose in the end)
    C-Class- The bulk of the superhumans that are well known throughout the world. One strong power or a few moderate powers.
    (Example: You can probably still take out a tower in a few solid hits. But a well trained SWAT team can be dangerous. And in this world, there are those teams made just for you if you get out of line.)
    D-Class- The most numerous superhumans, though most aren't known outside their area of influence. One strong/moderate power or a few weaker ones.
    (Example: You're still able to stop a speeding semi-truck with just your body. But it's gonna hurt, so let's use your brain a little more.)
    F-Class- Many with these powers go unknown even to themselves. So perhaps there are more than D-Class, they simply don't know it. Otherwise around as many as C-Class in the world. One or two weaker powers.
    (Example: You make grass and flowers grow to their full potential. No, not big ol' vines that can ensnare your enemies. Just grass.... Don't use it too much if you have a bad lawn mower.)
    I don't need to many F Class for the story. But if you have some ideas for any of the organizations, let me know.

2) Superhumans should be separated into an organization of the following.

Heroes- Not only are these heroes fighting for good, but they're part of a centralized team spread out across their country.
    I need a couple of B and C class heroes. Several D class.

Unaffiliated- Rogues, (Mavericks in my setting), Vigilantes. You aren't working with the Justice League/Avengers of the world, but you're not actively a villain. Hoodrats who do petty crimes would fall here. Vigilantes, the uncaring. Or perhaps they live in a country where they're on the run simply for being them. There are a few throughout the world (haven't decided which yet) who either want to force superhumans into military service or imprison them.
    I only have the S class and one F class for the initial setting. I don't really have too much of need, but several D and C class would be nice. Maybe a B or two.

Villains- The bad guys. Some are actively bad. Others aren't. Some are even likable. But they all either need to be arrested or removed from power. There are a couple of groups within villains you can place your superhero with if you wish.

The Terrorists- The world got ISIS, this world got supervillains. They have their leadership in place, but definitely room for some C-Class and lots of D-Class villains.
    The Hostile Army- Cold War 2.0. Instead of nukes each side is stockpiling superhumans. Need several B class and lower for these guys.
    North Korea- One government that forces superhumans into their military. While the class isn't as important, needing a few sneaky/spy times and a "Captain Korea" for their propaganda machine. Feel free to use the name Captain Korea even!
    Random Other Villains- Perhaps you know a good villain that isn't part of a group. Or want to create a small group of your own. Currently there's an A-Class that runs a city in Spain and the government just kind of accepts it now. Keep most in the C-D Class though B's could work if you have a group.

3) So now that you have those two, do a post with superhuman name, class, organization, brief bit on their powers and some background. Use real world settings and dates if need be. Post multiple if you want! Ask questions, collaborate all that fun stuff. Just be nice. Lol. And thanks to all who help me!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: My World Needs Superhumans

I will likely list superhumans I use and put in here so people know and can be proud! Or sad :(
    And if I don't, maybe I will put a funny picture here one day.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Simon Santos aka Constrictor
    C-Class
    Unaffiliated
    A small time street thug in Sao Paolo just discovering his powers. Has a telekinetic ability to crush items. Works mostly on smaller things, and can't destroy buildings or even vehicles. But he's discovering that he can constrict human organs on living targets, such as a person's lungs, restricting their ability to breathe. Still unwilling to kill he mostly uses his powers to intimidate in the course of increasingly risky and lucrative robberies.

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomePirate

Albert Bartlett aka Beacon
    D-Class
    Hero
    Formerly a disgruntled office worker from Atlanta with little in the way of physical ability or natural charisma. Accidentally discovered an ability to psychically send messages to cell phones and other electronic devices. Was happy to join the heroes but more because it makes him feel like a big shot than out if a genuine desire to help people.

5. - Top - End - #5

GnomePirate

Sandra Kim aka Gaia
    B-Class
    Hero
    A fiercely intelligent young woman raised in the remote Pacific Northwest. Always more at home in the woods she discovered in herself an innate ability to control plant matter. She can create a wall of thorns from a single rose, cause roots to spring from the earth and grab a foe, etc. Her desire to protect the Earth makes her a natural fit for the heroes.
    Last edited by Rogozhin; 2017-04-24 at 01:09 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomePirate

Elizabeth Noakes aka Madam Y
    D-Class
    Villains (terrorist)
    A wealthy London socialite who got bored. She can instantly calculate the odds of any outcome of virtually anything. Initially used her abilities for gambling but, again, got bored and never really needed the money. Eventually reached out to the terrorists to offer her services. She's in it for the thrill... And to cause a little chaos.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Jethro Avaricci (Protractor)
    C-Class
    Hero
    Army sniper known for his incredible trick shots - hitting a target an extra hundred yards outside his rifle's maximum range, breaking a rib without doing fatal damage, finding the exact angle at which his bullet will bounce off a wall into a target. He can only do it with rifles, luckily, but he's already seen some action as a heroic hired assassin - if Soarfist can't get a job done, well...you'd be surprised what a bullet in the right place can do. Also, scary to see him do this with an AK...
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
    Sandra Kim aka Gaia
    B-Class
    Hero
    A fiercely intelligent young woman raised in the remote Pacific Northwest. Always more at home in the woods she discovered in herself an innate ability to control plant matter. She can create a wall of thorns from a single rose, cause roots to spring from the earth and grab a foe, etc. Her desire to protect the Earth makes her a natural fit for the heroes.
    That's the best friend turned girlfriend from Sky High. (Which is fine.)

Personally, I've long had a low level fascination with F-class supers. I know they're not what you need, but I'm going to post some anyhow because it's fun. (Their names are all Euro-American because that's what's easy for me; change them at will if you want to use any.)

Fred Jackson
    F-Class
    Unaffiliated
    Can fly at a maximum altitude of 100 yards and speed of 50 mph (80 kph). Flies for fun and to commute to work above the traffic.

Karen Bennedict
    F-Class
    Unaffiliated
    Is a very successful professional poker player who does not know that she's a telepath. (Really. Doesn't know. Never meant to cheat.)

Dianne Washington
    F-Class
    Unaffiliated
    Can converse with animals. Can't control them, or give them human-like intelligence while conversing, but can converse, which is pretty cool by itself when you think about it. (How many times have you yelled at your cat to get off the counter; don't you wish the cat actually understood you? Well, maybe she does, but still...)

Dave Smith
    F-Class
    Unaffiliated
    Can heal minor wounds on himself and others. Small cuts, burns, pulled muscles, and the like go away, sprains are eased and finish healing on their own in much reduced time. Healing broken bones is beyond him, but he can help with the pain, somewhat. Works as an ER nurse.
    Last edited by jqavins; 2017-04-24 at 02:57 PM.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Farrokh Bulsara aka Mr. Fahrenheit
    S-Class (Deceased)
    Hero

Little does the world suspect that this wild mannered rock star is secretly the worlds greatest hero....well in the 1980's anyway.

Among the first super humans to appear Mr. Fahrenheit was blessed with a plethora of potent powers. Among his abilities, but by no means all of them, were included the powers of flight, super speed, and heat generation. It has been suggested by scientist that these were all merely facets of a more general control over kinetic energy. He possessed the ability to move at great speeds, usually in short bursts where he would appear almost to teleport. When striking an opponent he would impart immense kinetic energy into them, sending them flying at supersonic velocity. Mr. Fahrenheit himself was capable of travelling at the speed of light by turning his very matter into a destructive laser beam with which to attack his foes. When facing multiple foes or enemies of great ability Mr. Fahrenheit would pop his collar and undue a few buttons, revealing some inches of chest hair, and raising the ambient temperature in a 100 ft. radius to 200 degrees. Most villains would soon find themselves fainting from heat stroke.

During the 1980's Mr. Fahrenheit joined forces with several other early heroes to fend off an alien invasion, and then a demonic incursion, and then an atlantian one, and soon enough these heroes decided to make their alliance permanent and official. The media dubbed them ''The Champions of the World''. Their exploits becoming thing of legend to the younger generations of heroes.

Sadly Mr. Fahrenheit is no longer amongst the living, having fallen to a mysterious disease. He tried to hide his illness from the public eye, but as his death neared it became harder and harder to disguise and rumors swirled as to the cause. But when the princes of the universe invaded earth in late 1991 our hero pulled himself from his hospital bed declaring ''the show must go on'' and gave his greatest performance. The world was saved but the strain put an end to earths mightiest champion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    That's the best friend turned girlfriend from Sky High. (Which is fine.)
    There's actually a hero with this sort of ability in the world. So it must be a common one! (No idea what Sky High is) She is dead now though, :( so maybe there is another similar in the world.

Fred Jackson
    F-Class
    Unaffiliated
    Can fly at a maximum altitude of 100 yards and speed of 50 mph (80 kph). Flies for fun and to commute to work above the traffic.
    Flight at this height and speed would likely be considered D-Class in this world. Haha. One of the issues all teams are going to face is not having superhumans who can throw a hit, take a hit and get to the target to try and hit. So having someone with even a basic flight would be a huge boon for their big, strong muscle! So very possible a Fred-like individual may not only find himself on a team, but a pretty well known one too!

Thanks for the ideas so far and keep them coming!

11. - Top - End - #11

Lightweight
    D-class
    Hero
    Weighs less then 1/20th what he should. Still has the standard human muscle strength, which lets him jump great heights, and is relatively safe from injuries from falling because of his lower mass and thus lower forces exerted on himself. However, the lower mass also makes his punches have less force, and carrying anything heavy pretty much negates his jumping abilities. He considers himself the weak link in his hero team and is constantly training in martial arts that are not overly hindered by his power. This drive and dedication is what allows him to go up against D-class superhumans even when his power is arguably closer to F-class.

Phantom Thief
    C-class
    Unaffiliated
    Phantom Thief is a teenage girl who, when her power is active, does not show up on any artificial sensors, including cameras, and can teleport a few feet with effort. She uses these powers to make robberies without fear of locks or security systems in an attempt to earn enough for her younger brother to go to college, something her alcoholic mother would never pay for. She has been smart enough about her heists to avoid the police and heroes getting anywhere near her so far. However, superhuman spies from North Korea are aware of her identity, and plan to try to recruit her... By force if necessary.

Agma
    B-class
    Villain (North Korean Spy)
    "Agma," or "Demon" in English, was a North Korean agent who repeatedly proved his loyalty, and was eventually sent to the "Inferior Democratic Countries" as a spy. He quickly found they were not as "inferior" as propaganda would have had him believe, which enraged him. However, he was unwilling to admit all of his accomplishments in life were in the name of a lie, and so decided that if the democratic countries were not inferior, he would make them inferior. Soon afterward he gained powers. Enough strength to lift a car, tough enough to shrug off bullets, the ability to grow and retract large black wings, and five-minute-long bursts of invisibility. He quickly became one of the top North Korean agents in America, and chose the name "Demon" over protests that it reflected badly on the glorious home country. He picked the name because he realizes on some level that his country is in the wrong, and would perhaps be better off with a different government, but he refuses to let all his work be for nothing.

Baegjo
    C-class
    Villain (North Korean Spy)
    Baegjo, or "swan" in English, was the daughter of a South Korean crime lord who went too far, was caught, and made a deal with the North Koreans to bust him out. The deal was essentially selling his superpowered daughter to their military. As a beautiful young woman with an understated power (namely, super agility, reflexes, and the ability to quickly master any skill), Baegjo was originally planned to be a propaganda piece, and to marry Captain Korea, the biggest propaganda piece of them all. It would have been an excellent coup for the propaganda department, having a photogenic South Korean "superhero" (she was not) "realize the error of her ways" and become the wife of Captain Korea, symbolizing South Korea's eventual submission to the "Best Korea." Unfortunately for the propaganda department, Baegjo proved that her enhanced learning, reflexes, and agility made her a natural spy, and the American infiltration team snapped her up. Baegjo is careful to toe the line because she fears anything less than perfect performance might get her sent back to Pyongyang, with predictable results. While she could escape easily, she does not because, despite his treatment of her, she still feels responsible for her father, who is kept in a gilded cage to ensure her compliance.

Captain Korea
    C-class (actual) S-class (according to North Korean propaganda)
    Villain (propaganda piece)
    Captain Korea is a native North Korean hero who happened to have a photogenic face and a photogenic power. He can fly and shoot showy blasts of light that explode into multicolored displays like fireworks. His blasts don't actually pack much punch, but they look very impressive, especially when fired on regiments of tanks that were made of wood and rigged with explosives. Various fake displays of Captain Korea's incredible power are frequently filmed and sent out into the internet, although anyone with good video analysis software can tell they are at least partially faked. The North Korean populace, however, does not have such tools, and live displays of Captain Korea's "power" help keep the starving peasants in line. Captain Korea has never been deployed against a foreign nation, ostensibly because he is needed in Pyongyang to shoot down missiles that the free world might launch against the capital, actually because if he ever went into combat the North Korean populace might figure out that he is not invincible (and in fact is of only human durability), and that he would be lucky to kill a squad of unarmored infantry in one blast, much less a regiment of tanks.

...Whewh. Went kinda crazy on the backstories there. Also forgot to do real names, but eh whatever.
    I'm a Prestige Class! Thanks Zaydos!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Winterland / Sarah Blume
    C Class
    Unaffiliated
    A middle-aged woman who perpetually absorbs heat from her surroundings out to a radius of about a mile, creating a wintry microclimate in her vicinity. She can't turn this power off, but with effort she can project the absorbed heat like a laser. She is paid to visit cities suffering from heatwaves, but she's not an active do-gooder.

Spark Plug / Alex Greene
    D Class
    Villain
    A younger super with a small spread of electrokinetic powers: they can fry most any electric device from about 20m, and ignite flammable objects in the same range. They are also capable of tasering with a touch, and have learned to manipulate static electricity to let them climb walls gecko-style. They are intelligent with the use of their powers, but can only use them a dozen times a day before getting exhausted. They are somewhat anarchistic, using their powers to mess up companies and public services they feel have slighted them or their friends.

Anna Rice
    F Class
    Unaffiliated
    A 50-odd lady with infra-red vision. Just works in her office.

Tireless / Brian O'Connell
    D Class
    Hero
    20-or-so man whose power continually provides his body with nutrition and energy. He doesn't need to eat, drink, or breathe, and he can act at peak energy indefinitely. Sleep is his limiting factor, and he has an unhealthy obsession with overcoming it, going for long periods without sleep in an attempt to push his body into overcoming the need.It's compromised his effectiveness on duty more than once.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Larzzral View Post
    There's actually a hero with this sort of ability in the world. So it must be a common one! (No idea what Sky High is) She is dead now though, :( so maybe there is another similar in the world.
    It's a movie about teenage supers (mostly the children of supers) going to their special high school. It's aimed at kids, tweens I guess, and it's not bad. Better than Zoom. But I digress. (Frequently.)

Flight at this height and speed would likely be considered D-Class in this world. Haha. One of the issues all teams are going to face is not having superhumans who can throw a hit, take a hit and get to the target to try and hit. So having someone with even a basic flight would be a huge boon for their big, strong muscle! So very possible a Fred-like individual may not only find himself on a team, but a pretty well known one too!
    Wow, when flying slower than the highway speed limit and and lower than the lowest flying plane is D-class, that implies a general power level that I had understood at first.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowed View Post
    Winterland / Sarah Blume
    C Class
    Unaffiliated
    A middle-aged woman who perpetually absorbs heat from her surroundings out to a radius of about a mile, creating a wintry microclimate in her vicinity. She can't turn this power off, but with effort she can project the absorbed heat like a laser. She is paid to visit cities suffering from heatwaves, but she's not an active do-gooder.
    In light of the above, I would guess this might be B-class (particularly in light of the large radius of the effect.) Am I getting it right?

Spark Plug / Alex Greene
    D Class
    Villain
    A younger super with a small spread of electrokinetic powers: they can fry most any electric device from about 20m, and ignite flammable objects in the same range. They are also capable of tasering with a touch, and have learned to manipulate static electricity to let them climb walls gecko-style. They are intelligent with the use of their powers, but can only use them a dozen times a day before getting exhausted. They are somewhat anarchistic, using their powers to mess up companies and public services they feel have slighted them or their friends.
    Geez, I don't see any way that this is less powerful than Winterland. This sounds to me like an easy B-class, and just maybe A. Am I getting the hang of it?
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gus Fergusson - The Hitchhiker
    D Class
    Unaffiliated
    Minor suggestion powers. Can pretty much just convince people to take him places they're already heading. Known by the local police because he uses the ability to defraud private citizens, taxi drivers and public transit without paying.

Aria Conti - The Calvary
    C Class
    Hero
    Almost entirely immutable and moderately uncontainable. Even though she is older (but won't tell), is stuck looking like she's 17. Bullets bounce off her skin, handcuffs fall off, Can hold her breath almost indefinitely, fatigues much slower than normal people. Completed SWAT and most of SEAL training, although not physically strong enough to complete. Studies Muay Thai, Is a gymnast and uses Parkour to better use her abilities.

Oswald Henwood - Anger Man
    D class
    Villain
    Emotional Projection, but only for Anger/Rage, and only when he is angry/enraged. Can't control it yet, so he can only act as a PAOE emotion bomb. Once he can project it into a certain direction, or target to a person or persons, would be bumped up to C class.

Perlita Calicchio - Montage
    D Class
    Unaffiliated
    Can move forward in time, from 1 hour to 2 days. However, she only move forward in time, and only really uses it to age slower and "vanish" by phasing out of time.

Diedrick Ivanov - Quartermaster
    D class
    Any affiliation
    This large, well-built, gruff Eastern European longs to be someone of significance, although his ability to spontaneously generate office supplies and similar small, mundane equipment really doesn't help anyone take him seriously.

Ester Murphy
    F class
    Unaffiliated
    Able to sculpt sound. It's unknown if she knows she actually has this ability, but can increase or decrease ambient noise, and can perfectly project other sounds. Mostly uses the abilities to keep her neighbors quiet and entrance small children as she reads them stories as a volunteer at her grandchildren's school and church.

Natsuki Sato - Sirocco
    C Class
    Any Affiliation
    Minor Air manipulation and Aerokinetic Flight. Can manipulate air to a strong gust, and is able have controlled flight if she's wearing a wingsuit, although she doesn't need a parachute.

Carlos Murray - The Mummy
    C Class
    Villain
    Ribbon Manipulation. Can manipulate thin ribbons of material, so he usually has a series of cloth ribbons wrapped around his arms, and wears a 'belt' of metal ribbons. Got started as a sole villain, but is definitely interested in joining a crew.

Lucia Costa - "Mother"
    C class
    Hero
    As the middle part of the "Maiden, Mother, Crone" triumvirate, this 35 year old woman can communicate with herself 20 years in the past as well as 20 years in the future. Typically communicates with her older self to gain information about the present, but can also give information to her younger self to avert disaster.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

So class-f would be characters like David Dunn and Mister Furious?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    Lucia Costa - "Mother"
    C class
    Hero
    As the middle part of the "Maiden, Mother, Crone" triumvirate, this 35 year old woman can communicate with herself 20 years in the past as well as 20 years in the future. Typically communicates with her older self to gain information about the present, but can also give information to her younger self to avert disaster.
    It is rather a S class you know even without trying to abuse this power hard.
    It is world changing even with the most basic uses.
    Last edited by noob; 2017-05-21 at 01:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    So class-f would be characters like David Dunn and Mister Furious?
    The level classifications are not exact but all have to do with heightened physical threat to safety they impose.

F-class means absolutely minimal increased threat. This doesn't necessarily meaning just fighting, but planning as well. Slight enhancements to speed/strength are ok. But a fine tuned solider should be able to hold their own. Think of it this way, Usain Bolt isn't fast, he has very mild super speed. But F-Class is called a convenience rather than powers more or less.

D-Class would be your rank and file super. A trained team could take them down using generic tactics or even an extremely skilled standard human.

C-Class you're needing planning and specialists. Still possible without supers.

B-Class you're now needing specialized weapons on everyone, advance experts, well laid traps and so forth.

A-Class you need to find their kryptonite.

S-Class are not a hope and prayer in beating them. Even a team of A-Class and training are mostly trying to contain them.

Hopefully that help clarifies my vision. I know I'm not the best at putting my thoughts to words. I am looking in at this from time to time. Unfortunately my computer is bleh, and I hate typing on my phone, so the story is mostly planning in my head and these archaic instruments called pen and paper! But I am using some of the ideas. Some straight up and other with some modifications.

I will also add that time bending, altering, traveling or even viewing will not be a thing. Unlike mainstream comics where time and realities are this giant, convoluted mess of who knows what, this setting there is only the now. The past can only be seen in records and the future all depends on the decision of folks and completely unknown.

Even aliens or life elsewhere in the universe are not a thing (yet anyways) Nor are there hidden sentient species on Earth (less likely to happen than extra terrestrials)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

B-Class: Leyden Jar

Hero? (See below)

Little is known about the hero named Leyden Jar, except that he was raised in isolation to everyone except his mother and father, until recent years. After escaping from his prison, the young boy went into hiding among homeless dens and hitching rides in train-cars. It was when Leyden Jar's powers exploded outward when he was discovered by the government, and taken in to be studied. He has since reached adulthood, and has began working for the government as an anti-super-powered specialist, with all the secrecy that entails.

Leyden Jar's power is to absorb the kenetic energy around him and then transform it into static electricity and control it. With raw electricity at his command, he is able to unleash thousands of volts in a single beam of lightning as a weapon. However, without vigorous activity around him (like a rumbling train, a street filled with panicking people, or even rough winds) he is unable to generate an electric charge strong enough to use as an offensive weapon. A common tactic of his is to charge electricity before an encounter, and then act as a sniper and eliminate targets at a range, or sneak up close to unleash all the electricity at once with a single poke. Leyden has been known to kill some of his more troublesome targests; whether this is on purpose or accident is hidden by government officials, theorized by some to be proof that they aren't able to control him.

C-Class: The Dungeoneer

Hero

Ford was your ordinary spelunker when he discovered that he could tell what a cave's layout was -- as if the information was written in his brain. What's more, he was able to identify every single bat, his friends, and even what was in his friends backpacks. And the corpses hidden in the bottom of the cave, hidden by a super-powered serial killer. He promptly alerted the authorities, and managed to aid in the capture of said serial killer.

The Dungeoneer's power is based mainly off of sound, but even things like light, the kinetic vibrations within the ground and air, and even the non-visible spectrum of radiation is able to trigger his highly-tuned sixth-sense. He mainly takes support roles, strategizing with SWAT teams and helping in hostage situations and drug-busts, as well as using his ability to pick up anything missed by detectives at crime-scenes. Occasionally, higher-level heroes will invite him to battles against robots and heavily-armored enemies to determine weak-points.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    It is rather a S class you know even without trying to abuse this power hard.
    It is world changing even with the most basic uses.
    Possibly, if you were trying to make it so. I had it in mind that it would be limited by various things, for a story's sake - on one side, incomplete information from the future from an older version who doesn't want to deal with her past anymore, and who may have mental issues; on the other, giving information about complex issues to an angsty teen who has no agency in their world. Her story would be some sort of mix of Early Edition and a lot of unreliable narrator tropes.

You could limit it even further by having the past and future in parallel dimensions on either side of our own, so while there's a TON of overlap, it's not 1:1 ("Wait, that doesn't make any sense. They mean Senator Knowles?")

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

Danny Fischer "Aqua Lung"
    D Class - Water breathing
    His lungs act in nearly the same way gills do, only they breathe air as easily as they do water. However he is still susceptible to dramatic pressure changes while in the water, so no infinite diving without a pressure suit or lots of acclimation.

Randy McSaunessy "The Prestige"
    B/A Class - Self cloning
    Randy can create an exact clone of himself that is self aware (but doesn't necessarily believe themselves to be the clone) whenever a fatal wound is taken. The clone will be in peak health and unaffected by whatever killed the previous Randy unless the threat persists (so if trapped in a gas chamber the clones will continually sprout up until the gas is dissipated).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Angel of Death

True Name Unknown
    B-Class
    Unaffiliated, possible villain
    Powers Incorporeal, Smoke Generation, mild Emotion Sensing Ability

The entity that the papers took to calling the Angel of Death first appeared having slaughtered a gang suspected in the arson of Fallow Heights that resulted in the deaths of nearly 125 people. Since then he has appeared several times, each time killing those that have killed. Video footage has shown entire clips of automatic weapons fire passing through him, and the rare survivor has described the smoke he creates as reeking of burning flesh. He has appeared and vanished in a billow of smoke, and can sense anything feeling fear. Except for the blade worn over his left hand, he cannot physically interact with others or objects.
    Come check out my setting blog: Ruins of the Forbidden Elder

Inspired by LudicSavant, I am posting deities: Erebos, The Black Sun

22. - Top - End - #22

Marco of the Borg
    C/D class
    Villain/unaffliated
    A middle-aged Trekkie who fell in with the wrong crowd after losing his job. He has the power to painlessly graft gadgets to his body and use them as extentesions of himself. The grafts need to be relatively complex: knives are generally a no-go, but guns, bullet-proof vests and any electronic devices are common parts of his personal arsenal.

For now, he works as a muscle-for-hire for whoever pays, as his ability to become a literal walking armoury is a powerful asset in armed robbery or security. Although he deeply wishes he could be a hero, he's accepted his role as a villain and actively tries to act the part, adding useless blinking accessories to emulate his favourite sci-fi series.

He's a generally good person, but is not a brave man and will often break his personal rules if it gives him a chance to get out of whatever mess he's currently in.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Marco of the Borg...

Although he deeply wishes he could be a hero, he's accepted his role as a villain and actively tries to act the part...

He's a generally good person...
    This guy sounds seriously screwed up.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

24. - Top - End - #24

This guy sounds seriously screwed up.
    Probably? I was trying to go for the idea of a generally nice person as a bad guy. He's the henchman that makes sure the hostages are as comfortable as they can be while still being secure, and brings snacks along to planning meetings. He tends to act like a hammy villain to try to intimidate heroes and police; he shouts RESISTANCE IS FUTILE and YOUR DEATH NEARS as well as other villainous phrases and waves his guns around a lot.
    His fatal flaw is that when he gets desperate he will do anything to get away, like threatening hostages, gunning his way through police lines, attacking while in a crowd. He's probably wanted for wanton destruction and manslaughter at the least.

He really wants to not be a baddie any more and only keeps it up because he doesn't want to go to jail for his crimes and because some of his fellow villains threaten to attack his family if he leaves them.

----
    I can't help but notice that there's no E class and it bugs me.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2017-05-30 at 06:49 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

25. - Top - End - #25

Probably? I was trying to go for the idea of a generally nice person as a bad guy. He's the henchman that makes sure the hostages are as comfortable as they can be while still being secure, and brings snacks along to planning meetings. He tends to act like a hammy villain to try to intimidate heroes and police; he shouts RESISTANCE IS FUTILE and YOUR DEATH NEARS as well as other villainous phrases and waves his guns around a lot.
    His fatal flaw is that when he gets desperate he will do anything to get away, like threatening hostages, gunning his way through police lines, attacking while in a crowd. He's probably wanted for wanton destruction and manslaughter at the least.

He really wants to not be a baddie any more and only keeps it up because he doesn't want to go to jail for his crimes and because some of his fellow villains threaten to attack his family if he leaves them.
    I can understand most of that, and that being a villain doesn't have to mean being nasty all the time. But to desperately want to be a hero but decide to "accept" a role as a villain, that I don't get. It's like trying out for a play and being cast as the bad guy; sure, someone's gotta play the villain, but that's on stage. To make the same choice in "real" life seems really screwed up to me.
    ----
    So buy a Mercedes.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kai Samson - The Scribe
    A-D class
    No affiliation
    Unbeknownst to them, this tattoo artist has the ability to occasionally give another person a supernatural ability related to the tattoo that they received. It isn't guaranteed, and whenever a person receives a power this way, they get a tiny amount of amnesia they forget who their tattoo artist, and that they even went to get that tattoo.

The McDaniels
    F class
    Various affiliations
    The McDaniels seem to be a fairly normal family, albeit very conservative about most things, especially sex. The underlying, hidden reason for their conservatism is that they become irrevocably, telepathically connected to whomever they have sex with. While this ranges anywhere between Annoying and Fine for stable relationships, it's a known issue in the family that that sleeping around usually ends with them begin committed or committing suicide.

Binti Barnes-Mendel - Blend
    D class
    While not getting the normal Octopus-style abilities such as extra arms, or suckers, or water-breathing, Binti does have the ability to repattern her skin and hair as a form of camouflage (Think Mystique, but without the ability to change size or mass, or mimic recognizable or specific clothing patterns), and can occasionally launch a think ink-like fog into the air. While her body also has the ability to regrow her limbs, but she hasn't actually had a chance to discover that yet...

----
    He seems very Punisher-esque, but without that military refinement.

27. - Top - End - #27

Mr.Thoughtless/Fly-By-Night C-F class. Mister Thoughtless lives a charmed life because he gives off a subtle psychic emanation that causes people not to take offense to moderately outrageous actions. This allows him to do things like show up to work two hours late and drunk, park his car sideways across two handicapped spaces, cut in line at the supermarket, pee on things, attend weddings and funerals wearing teeshirts with obscene slogans on them, pick people's pockets, and shoplift...without trying to conceal it and yet without anyone ever calling him out on it or giving him trouble for it as long as nobody gets seriously injured.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-06-01 at 10:32 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

28. - Top - End - #28

Tombstone (Alexander Katsaros)
    B-class
    Hero
    Tombstone is a brawler type hero whose main power it terrakinesis, the ability to control earth, stone, and metal. He typically uses this power to armor himself in stone or metal, and by controlling the armor, effectively give himself super-strength, superior toughness, and flight, but used to their full potential, his powers are capable of opening city-block-sized sinkholes, causing massive earthquakes and tsunamis, or turning the ground to quicksand beneath his enemies. Beyond this, however, he is naturally stronger, tougher, faster, and heals quicker than normal humans. In truth, he is a greek demigod, the son of Hades, and inherited a portion of his father's dominion over the earth and all the wealth that hides beneath its surface. This heritage also grants him a set of secondary powers related to death. While not capable of directly cutting a life short, his powers allow him to perceive and communicate with the souls of the dead, lay undead and bound souls to rest, and, in extreme cases, negotiate with his father to bring the dead back to life. He does not like to use the death powers, as people tend to react to his heritage negatively.
    In his civilian life, Alexander is a wealthy industrialist with mines for gold, silver, copper, and more exotic metals used in electronics manufacturing. All of his mines are remarkably productive, and he regularly inspects each one personally, subtly using his powers to tease the resources into position to be discovered later.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Mr.Thoughtless/Fly-By-Night C-F class. Mister Thoughtless lives a charmed life because he gives off a subtle psychic emanation that causes people not to take offense to moderately outrageous actions. This allows him to do things like show up to work two hours late and drunk, park his car sideways across two handicapped spaces, cut in line at the supermarket, pee on things, attend weddings and funerals wearing teeshirts with obscene slogans on them, pick people's pockets, and shoplift...without trying to conceal it and yet without anyone ever calling him out on it or giving him trouble for it as long as nobody gets seriously injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Tombstone (Alexander Katsaros)
    B-class
    Hero
    Tombstone is a brawler type hero whose main power it terrakinesis, the ability to control earth, stone, and metal. He typically uses this power to armor himself in stone or metal, and by controlling the armor, effectively give himself super-strength, superior toughness, and flight, but used to their full potential, his powers are capable of opening city-block-sized sinkholes, causing massive earthquakes and tsunamis, or turning the ground to quicksand beneath his enemies. Beyond this, however, he is naturally stronger, tougher, faster, and heals quicker than normal humans. In truth, he is a greek demigod, the son of Hades, and inherited a portion of his father's dominion over the earth and all the wealth that hides beneath its surface. This heritage also grants him a set of secondary powers related to death. While not capable of directly cutting a life short, his powers allow him to perceive and communicate with the souls of the dead, lay undead and bound souls to rest, and, in extreme cases, negotiate with his father to bring the dead back to life. He does not like to use the death powers, as people tend to react to his heritage negatively.
    In his civilian life, Alexander is a wealthy industrialist with mines for gold, silver, copper, and more exotic metals used in electronics manufacturing. All of his mines are remarkably productive, and he regularly inspects each one personally, subtly using his powers to tease the resources into position to be discovered later.
    These both sound under-rated to me. Mr. Thoughtless could use his power to become unspeakably rich provided he doesn't hurt anybody while stealing, which there'd be no reason to do if he sticks to burglary rather than robbery. Sounds to me like C at least, and more likely B.

Tombstone, in my opinion, is clearly S-class. He is "capable of opening city-block-sized sinkholes" while one of the defining examples of S-class is "Able to destroy half a city block in an instant." All the earth powers and demi-god toughness and death powers? This guy might be S-and-a-half!

Remember that this is a world of really low powered supers, according to the OP, Larzzral. I described a guy who has only one power, flight limited to 50 mph and 100 yards altitude, thinking he was F-class, but Larzzral told me that in this setting that would be D. That's been a calibration point for me: cruising along above the traffic, slower than the cars on the highway below when traffic is light, is D-class.
    -- Joe
    -- Spider Roninson

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Grand Master- B or maybe C Class
    Real Name- Matthew Joseph Davidson
    Affiliation- Hero
    Power- posesses physical attributes and skills at the peak of what a normal human can achieve naturally (i.e. Fast as usain bolt as skilled as the greatest fighters)

Despite his impressive physical capabilities Matthew is quite scrawny(he needs still needs tons of calories like a normal athlete and needs a near impossible workout to gain muscle mass). It is of note that Matthew is most definitely a super, he never had to train day in his life and never excercises outside of super hero activity(where's the fun if you always win). As grand master he is more then capable of fighting supers(depends on ability, some abilities he can't do anything about) but often ends up as the team skill monkey. Unlike many supers he makes liberal use of weapons and armor in combat.

I'm not really sure where grand master falls In the rankings as:
    He is stronger than any sort of non super (could beat Batman in a straight fight)
    Often outclassed by supers in there specialization(weaker than hulk slower than the flash)
    Outclassed supers in area they don't have powers(outrun hulk beat flash in arm wrestling)
    Tons of auxiliary powers(the skills aren't limited to martial arts)
    Lacks mental powers (not the worlds greatest detective)
    Not invulnerable(can be killed by bullets energy blasts etc)
    In a prime position to exploit weaknesses(stab captain America after he throws his shield dodge wolverines claws etc.)
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Interesting that it wasn't written in Draconic. Are Kobolds keeping their deviant pleasures secret from their dragon masters now? It's the beginning of the revolution and it's starting in the bedroom nest!

This forum has century gothic as a font. That's pretty cool