New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Let's play Lords of magic!

Illven you reminded me of one of the (relatively safe) ways to take care of enemy lords as a high level Balkoth, running by and infesting every dungeon you can find to whatever level you are. Also I think the spawning checks low level to high level dungeons and won't let a dungeon spawn within a radius of one that has spawned. Also the spawn chances seem inversely related to the level of the dungeon.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

May I ask why Teleport Artifact as your first researched spell? It seems like it might be useful but the reason why isn't immediately apparent to me. Or was that simply the only one you could research to start with?

Basically, for those of us unfamiliar with the game, if you could point out whenever you're making a choice and why so that we learn it a bit better that would be awesome. (IC or OOC, whichever you prefer.)

All hail Shaman Chief Lucy!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

There are four books of spells, and you have to research the first spell in a particular book before you can research the next spell in that book. The books are: Offensive, Defensive, Overland, and... Miscellaneous? I think?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    There are four books of spells, and you have to research the first spell in a particular book before you can research the next spell in that book. The books are: Offensive, Defensive, Overland, and... Miscellaneous? I think?
    There also are four menus into which spells are organized, two for combat and two for overworld. The menus correspond to the books. Also fire kinda loses a category there.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

I used to like this game a lot, but the balance issues really hurt it. Basically ranged units are godlike. I remember I beat the game with nothing but the basic archers from the life faction.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Shaman Chief Lucy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I used to like this game a lot, but the balance issues really hurt it. Basically ranged units are godlike. I remember I beat the game with nothing but the basic archers from the life faction.
    I was hoping to collect information like this.

Also, what do you do when you take over like a level 2 gold mine or whatever? Just leave it vacant? Drop a guard in there so it doesn't get taken over?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

It's been a long time since I played, but I don't think I ever bothered guarding stuff. Then again, my playstyle was always to build a powerful army and hunt down the bad guy you have to kill to win. I never really played to consolidate power and slowly expand like you do in a lot of strategy games, although I'm sure that's a perfectly valid strategy.

I bet Ilven and the others can give way better advice about this game than I could at this point. I might try another playthrough soon though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-05-29 at 08:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    May I ask why Teleport Artifact as your first researched spell? It seems like it might be useful but the reason why isn't immediately apparent to me. Or was that simply the only one you could research to start with?

Basically, for those of us unfamiliar with the game, if you could point out whenever you're making a choice and why so that we learn it a bit better that would be awesome. (IC or OOC, whichever you prefer.)

True, it would be useful if game explain artifacts and spells without flavor text when researching: what the effects are.

9. - Top - End - #39

I got that, but when the first spell being researched is clearly not offense or defense than I wonder what I'm missing. Is this spell inherently useful, or are we teching up to something better as fast as possible? Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    True, it would be useful if game explain artifacts and spells without flavor text when researching: what the effects are.
    Yeah, games back then really expected you to either (a) keep the manual around, (b) call the help line, or (c) both.

At least, I'm hoping the manual explains what the various spells actually do before research...
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I got that, but when the first spell being researched is clearly not offense or defense than I wonder what I'm missing. Is this spell inherently useful, or are we teching up to something better as fast as possible? Or both?
    According to the copy of the manual I looked up, the Other/General spells are Teleport Artifact, Dispel Magic, Heal Faster (with a faction-appropriate name), and Detect Opposite Faction (plus a fifth less-universal spell for some faiths.) For Chaos they're listed in that order, so I would guess Ilven's going for Dispel Magic.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    According to the copy of the manual I looked up, the Other/General spells are Teleport Artifact, Dispel Magic, Heal Faster (with a faction-appropriate name), and Detect Opposite Faction (plus a fifth less-universal spell for some faiths.) For Chaos they're listed in that order, so I would guess Ilven's going for Dispel Magic.
    Sounds good and that's the kind of background I'd like, just more of that is Teleport Artifact good by itself, or just a research tax? If Dispel Magic is the ASAP goal, what makes it good? (I assume in a game called "Lords of Magic" that it's going to see a lot of use, but judging from the foes he's been facing so far, I can't tell if enemy casters are an imminent threat or a more long-term problem - that kind of thing.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

fun fact: I still have my original manual. It is enormous. It's still one of the largest manuals that I've seen. I think Starcraft had a huge manual too, but it was much much thinner.

I have read novels smaller than this book.
    Spoiler
    Show

For comparison, I put it next to my Medieval 2 case and mousepad and you can also see some of the older square cases above it(and a bit of salt. Sorry I just ate).

Anyway, for the discussion at hand...Personally I prefer to research 1 or 2 offensive and defensive spells before delving into something like Teleport Artifact. That isn't really one that I deem necessary until much later...Which means that I mostly ignore the general school of magic.

With that said...Most of Chaos' are chance-based or have some kind of risk/drawback. Because of that, their attack spells aren't very useful except for their two most powerful ones(Vortex and Polymorph Other). Their defensive spells are pretty lacking too until its capstone(Polymorph Self) which is less of a good spell and more of just a fun spell. It turns the caster into...something else based on their level. Usually something stronger.

So with that in mind, going for general or overland spells makes a bit of sense. Personally I would have aimed for getting the Invoke Fate overland spell as that buffs your resource gain in your capital(albeit slightly).

Sounds good and that's the kind of background I'd like, just more of that is Teleport Artifact good by itself, or just a research tax? If Dispel Magic is the ASAP goal, what makes it good? (I assume in a game called "Lords of Magic" that it's going to see a lot of use, but judging from the foes he's been facing so far, I can't tell if enemy casters are an imminent threat or a more long-term problem - that kind of thing.)
    I wouldn't really say that enemy casters are currently an imminent threat, but there are some curses that you would do best to prepare yourself for.

Edit: Especially in the Death spellbook. Golgotha's Gift is a common spell even with marauding and dungeon-based necromancers. It costs six mana and infects a unit that's of a lower level than the caster. The infected unit recieves one point of damage plus three points of damage per turn outside of combat and I believe it spreads to the entire army and it's permanent unless dispelled or exorcised at a temple(which invokes a massive Crystal cost)
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-05-29 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

13. - Top - End - #43

Fantastic info, thanks! With that I'll sit back and wait to see what the OP had in mind.

And yeah, that manual is ginormous
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh I still have that manual too! never was able to read it while i was playing, mostly because i only learned english afterwards. probably the same reason i was never sure what to do in game.

most of the manuals back then were huge, with lots of fluff. diablos' a solid book,starcraft and brood war are also big. and although much much newer, Age of Wonders: Shadow magic also had a literal novel worth of game guide.

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Also, what do you do when you take over like a level 2 gold mine or whatever? Just leave it vacant? Drop a guard in there so it doesn't get taken over?
    I usually leave a mobile force in the capitol to deal with the marauding parties. Initially a warrior and a trio of archers/footmen are enough, but as the game goes on (in my experience the marauding parties get tougher simply as a result of the number of games days that have elapsed, rather than anything else, spawning anywhere covered by the Fog of War) you'll need more powerful forces. I will leave a scout unit (occasionally archers) in each of my watch towers, though.

In general, you want to fight the marauding parties outdoors, on your favored terrain. Your troops will have a bonus to speed (move and attack), while some or all of the marauders will have a penalty to speed.

Teleport Artifact can be useful if you have adventuring parties out in different parts of the world. Generally more useful later on in the game, though. I'd classify it as a Research Tax.

On a related note, you can only see the names (let alone descriptions) of spells that are either researched or available for research. Your first time playing through, you have no way of knowing what spells lay behind that "Teleport Artifact" spell until after you research it. The flavor text gives you an idea of what the spell is supposed to do, but the actual description only becomes clear (bit by bit) as you progress through the research days.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Replies
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    around this point in time is when Air shows up and attempts to ruin Chaos' day. That tends to be the way my Chaos runs go.

Even if Air doesn't attack. Their proximity, the versatility of their ranged units, and power of their magic in comparison makes them a good early target.
    So far the people of air seem to be leaving me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Illven you reminded me of one of the (relatively safe) ways to take care of enemy lords as a high level Balkoth, running by and infesting every dungeon you can find to whatever level you are. Also I think the spawning checks low level to high level dungeons and won't let a dungeon spawn within a radius of one that has spawned. Also the spawn chances seem inversely related to the level of the dungeon.
    I tend to prefer spawn cave as a training ground.

Long may she shaman.

Personally it's mostly when I get an artifact I can't use but another unit of mine of a different faith can, I want to get it to them as soon as possible. I do tend to research a damaging spell first, but I already have one. As bad as it is.

In fact you have to research in a line. Although I start off with hand of fate. I can't research the next spell, because I don't have all of the ones under it.

There also are four menus into which spells are organized, two for combat and two for overworld. The menus correspond to the books. Also fire kinda loses a category there.
    Fire has all four?

Life archers are overpowered.

But not all ranged units are godlike. Some of them are weak, like the stickthrowers.

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Shaman Chief Lucy!

I was hoping to collect information like this.

I tend to leave it vacant. My scouts can nab it back if they are taken.

It's been a long time since I played, but I don't think I ever bothered guarding stuff. Then again, my playstyle was always to build a powerful army and hunt down the bad guy you have to kill to win. I never really played to consolidate power and slowly expand like you do in a lot of strategy games, although I'm sure that's a perfectly valid strategy.

I bet Ilven and the others can give way better advice about this game than I could at this point. I might try another playthrough soon though.
    You should. Try something other then life.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Yeah. Sometimes it's annoying when I don't know who to target with an artifact spell.

Yeah, games back then really expected you to either (a) keep the manual around, (b) call the help line, or (c) both.

At least, I'm hoping the manual explains what the various spells actually do before research...
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Dispel magic is nice as well. **** Golgotha's gift.

Enemy casters are more of a long term admittedly.

fun fact: I still have my original manual. It is enormous. It's still one of the largest manuals that I've seen. I think Starcraft had a huge manual too, but it was much much thinner.

I have read novels smaller than this book.
    Spoiler
    Show

For comparison, I put it next to my Medieval 2 case and mousepad and you can also see some of the older square cases above it(and a bit of salt. Sorry I just ate).

Anyway, for the discussion at hand...Personally I prefer to research 1 or 2 offensive and defensive spells before delving into something like Teleport Artifact. That isn't really one that I deem necessary until much later...Which means that I mostly ignore the general school of magic.

With that said...Most of Chaos' are chance-based or have some kind of risk/drawback. Because of that, their attack spells aren't very useful except for their two most powerful ones(Vortex and Polymorph Other). Their defensive spells are pretty lacking too until its capstone(Polymorph Self) which is less of a good spell and more of just a fun spell. It turns the caster into...something else based on their level. Usually something stronger.

So with that in mind, going for general or overland spells makes a bit of sense. Personally I would have aimed for getting the Invoke Fate overland spell as that buffs your resource gain in your capital(albeit slightly).

I wouldn't really say that enemy casters are currently an imminent threat, but there are some curses that you would do best to prepare yourself for.

Edit: Especially in the Death spellbook. Golgotha's Gift is a common spell even with marauding and dungeon-based necromancers. It costs six mana and infects a unit that's of a lower level than the caster. The infected unit recieves one point of damage plus three points of damage per turn outside of combat and I believe it spreads to the entire army and it's permanent unless dispelled or exorcised at a temple(which invokes a massive Crystal cost)
    It spreads to any lower level units in the army. Which usually means at least all non champions.

Fantastic info, thanks! With that I'll sit back and wait to see what the OP had in mind.

And yeah, that manual is ginormous
    To be fair, there's alot of fluff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngel View Post
    Oh I still have that manual too! never was able to read it while i was playing, mostly because i only learned english afterwards. probably the same reason i was never sure what to do in game.

most of the manuals back then were huge, with lots of fluff. diablos' a solid book,starcraft and brood war are also big. and although much much newer, Age of Wonders: Shadow magic also had a literal novel worth of game guide.
    Oh yeah, I can't imagine playing this game in another lanauage.

I usually leave a mobile force in the capitol to deal with the marauding parties. Initially a warrior and a trio of archers/footmen are enough, but as the game goes on (in my experience the marauding parties get tougher simply as a result of the number of games days that have elapsed, rather than anything else, spawning anywhere covered by the Fog of War) you'll need more powerful forces. I will leave a scout unit (occasionally archers) in each of my watch towers, though.

In general, you want to fight the marauding parties outdoors, on your favored terrain. Your troops will have a bonus to speed (move and attack), while some or all of the marauders will have a penalty to speed.

Teleport Artifact can be useful if you have adventuring parties out in different parts of the world. Generally more useful later on in the game, though. I'd classify it as a Research Tax.

On a related note, you can only see the names (let alone descriptions) of spells that are either researched or available for research. Your first time playing through, you have no way of knowing what spells lay behind that "Teleport Artifact" spell until after you research it. The flavor text gives you an idea of what the spell is supposed to do, but the actual description only becomes clear (bit by bit) as you progress through the research days.
    Well you can click on the right page and get the future spells names at least.

Spoiler: Lords of magic week 5
    Show

We rested for a few days, protected by the spirits of the ancestors in our great temple, as we left we let the goblins stay to guard the temple against any future threats.

(OOC note. The great temple does not provide any enhanced healing over another building. The fluff was just cool.)

We received word that the Dwarves of Earth have sworn fealty to the hated people of Order, for their liberation of their great temple. We expect dwarf intrusions into our tribal lands any day now.

(OOC note. Swearing fealty is something that happens, should a player liberate a great temple of someone at least neutral to you. When someone swears fealty, you get a small percentage of their troops, the amount determined partly by difficulty. Most importantly you get a second lord, so that if your first falls it is not a game over for you.)

A deep cavern said to go far into the earth was inhabited by an unruly mob. As Shaman chief, it was my duty to have it cleared out.

(OOC note. Caverns are mutli level dungeons. There's the first level that you've seen in every dungeon so far, but after that you can choose to go to a deeper level. Deeper levels tend to be tougher then the surface level and start you closer. Good for good infantry and cavalry nations, bad for the life nation.)

A band of centaur archers and their hunting dogs stood before us.

I... can't remember what happened. But I'm told our stickthrowers singlehandedly took the brunt of the arrows.

[OOC note. We're given a chance to cast spells and use artifacts before heading deeper into the dungeon, or retreating. We retreat.]

And they grew stronger because of it.

We hired more of them to guard our capital city.

As we hire a scout to explore the lands.

[OOC. Scouts are creatures that are relatively cheap, and don't need champions for their movement to be increased. However they are weak, they are used to explore the world, and meet other nations.]

We also saw an imp. A fire creature summoned for the purposes of scouting for the lesser fire giants. We elected to leave it alone, and heal up in the brewery.

However, we did send a delegation to the scout to greet the fire nation with our respect.

[OOC Information about other adventuring parties.]

[OOC Trust is far above neutral]

[OOC In addition to what's listed, the nature of your relationship with the other lord sets what trading options you have.]

We trade them some of our magical lore, for a significant amount of gold. And a decent portion of ale.

[I trade them magical lore, because they need a chaos shaman to use it. You can't cast spells outside the unit's faith. So there's only a very low chance that this aids the enemy in any way. And they are still willing to pay for it.]

[It's an even trade.]

The people of air, do not have positive relations with us however.

As words of my exploits continued to spread across the land. All freedom loving people started to migrate to my capital.

Our cat continued to meet people of the land of air.

And take the gold mines taking over by marauding parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post

We received word that the Dwarves of Earth have sworn fealty to the hated people of Order, for their liberation of their great temple. We expect dwarf intrusions into our tribal lands any day now.
    Hum...I didn't know Earth and Order had a high enough of an opinion of one another at the start of the game(and opinions tend to only deteriorate as a game progesses) for that to happen.

Well, that puts Order right on your doorstep to the North.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I tend to prefer spawn cave as a training ground.
    Oh I do too. Its just that a rather safe way to deal with other (life in particular because of all their hate for death magic) factions is to simply spawn in rating 10-12 caves and let them walk into them to their death.
    Fire has all four?
    Yes but they are different. Given that fire's only really buffs are of the kill the enemy quicker kind.

Also when not playing Death I tend to play Air for the long game. Flights of Thunder Drakes are damn near lethal to EVERYTHING in the game. Including level 12 Balkoth, or would be if he didn't run.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Life archers are overpowered.

You should. Try something other then life.
    I actually tended to mostly play as Order with the rare exception. Young me thought Knights were much neater than hippy elves or homeless barbarians. Older me agrees and marvels at younger me's wisdom.

It's just that no matter where I start, I always tend to end up with a hodge podge of units from other races. Even if I start the game without intending to abuse a certain unit type, I'll probably have access to them eventually anyway.

I did try another playthrough though. The music makes me nostalgic for Lords of the Realm 2, and the gameplay/setting makes me nostalgic for Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

Unfortunately for LoM itself, I keep getting frustrated by the UI and quitting after a short amount of time.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-06-04 at 08:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I still have my manual, too. There's a lot of world-building in it that explains far more of Urak's history than anything ever should.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

21. - Top - End - #51

A band of centaur archers and their hunting dogs stood before us.

I... can't remember what happened. But I'm told our stickthrowers singlehandedly took the brunt of the arrows.
    While in most games I would say the ranged units getting shot instead of the tankier ones would have been a bad thing, given your disdain for stickthrowers I can't tell whether this was a favorable result or not

[OOC Trust is far above neutral]
    Is Fire always that friendly with Chaos, or is it random? Seems like they would be but just wanted to be sure.

We trade them some of our magical lore, for a significant amount of gold. And a decent portion of ale.

[I trade them magical lore, because they need a chaos shaman to use it. You can't cast spells outside the unit's faith. So there's only a very low chance that this aids the enemy in any way. And they are still willing to pay for it.]
    This is exactly the kind of gameplay commentary a noob like me was hoping for - thank you.

The people of air, do not have positive relations with us however.
    Same question, are the attitudes random? This tepid reception surprised me, especially given that Earth threw their lot in with Order. You'd think Air would come to you, if not to be friendly, at least as an alliance of convenience against their most hated foe. Kinda dumb of them if you ask me. Not to mention that Air shouldn't be all that opposed to Chaos anyway.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't have the manual on hand, but yes, the faiths all start out with particular attitude toward each other. Life, Water, Order, and Air all start on decent terms with each other, and Chaos, Fire, and Earth start on decent terms with each other. Death is on bad terms with the Life "alliance", but I don't know how it relates to the other "alliance" if you are playing as a member of it.

Maybe Illven will give us a screenshot of the Spy/Intelligence screen. It's eye/smiling-guy-wearing-sunglasses button right above your Fame counter at the bottom right of the overland screen. It has tabs for each of the surviving faiths, and each tab shows how the other faiths feel about it (Loathing, Hatred, Annoyance, Indifference, Friendship, Trust, Kinship, Devotion and probably a few other steps in there as well).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

Death is on bad terms with the Life "alliance", but I don't know how it relates to the other "alliance" if you are playing as a member of it.
    Death and life should be best freinds, that makes no sense.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-06-05 at 12:40 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    The Death in this game is not the balanced "clear old growth away" sort of Death that is necessary for new life to arise. It's a crazy necromancer worshiping an evil god who simply wants to wipe out all life entirely. There's a reason all the other Lords noped hard and (with varying degrees of willingness) worked together to take him out.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler: Replies
    Show

Hum...I didn't know Earth and Order had a high enough of an opinion of one another at the start of the game(and opinions tend to only deteriorate as a game progesses) for that to happen.

Well, that puts Order right on your doorstep to the North.
    Typically in my experience you tend to have at least one cross over of relations from the good and the evil side. Guess Earth to Order is one of those.

Oh I do too. Its just that a rather safe way to deal with other (life in particular because of all their hate for death magic) factions is to simply spawn in rating 10-12 caves and let them walk into them to their death.

Yes but they are different. Given that fire's only really buffs are of the kill the enemy quicker kind.

Also when not playing Death I tend to play Air for the long game. Flights of Thunder Drakes are damn near lethal to EVERYTHING in the game. Including level 12 Balkoth, or would be if he didn't run.
    Of course flights of thunder drakes are expensive. Much more so then Elven archers.

I actually tended to mostly play as Order with the rare exception. Young me thought Knights were much neater than hippy elves or homeless barbarians. Older me agrees and marvels at younger me's wisdom.

It's just that no matter where I start, I always tend to end up with a hodge podge of units from other races. Even if I start the game without intending to abuse a certain unit type, I'll probably have access to them eventually anyway.

I did try another playthrough though. The music makes me nostalgic for Lords of the Realm 2, and the gameplay/setting makes me nostalgic for Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

Unfortunately for LoM itself, I keep getting frustrated by the UI and quitting after a short amount of time.
    Maybe try playing a game where you can't capture other capitals?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    I still have my manual, too. There's a lot of world-building in it that explains far more of Urak's history than anything ever should.
    Yeah, I remember reading it when I was a child.

While in most games I would say the ranged units getting shot instead of the tankier ones would have been a bad thing, given your disdain for stickthrowers I can't tell whether this was a favorable result or not

Is Fire always that friendly with Chaos, or is it random? Seems like they would be but just wanted to be sure.

This is exactly the kind of gameplay commentary a noob like me was hoping for - thank you.

Same question, are the attitudes random? This tepid reception surprised me, especially given that Earth threw their lot in with Order. You'd think Air would come to you, if not to be friendly, at least as an alliance of convenience against their most hated foe. Kinda dumb of them if you ask me. Not to mention that Air shouldn't be all that opposed to Chaos anyway.
    Stickthrowers being hit is definitely a favored result. Means the real units weren't.

I don't have the manual on hand, but yes, the faiths all start out with particular attitude toward each other. Life, Water, Order, and Air all start on decent terms with each other, and Chaos, Fire, and Earth start on decent terms with each other. Death is on bad terms with the Life "alliance", but I don't know how it relates to the other "alliance" if you are playing as a member of it.

Maybe Illven will give us a screenshot of the Spy/Intelligence screen. It's eye/smiling-guy-wearing-sunglasses button right above your Fame counter at the bottom right of the overland screen. It has tabs for each of the surviving faiths, and each tab shows how the other faiths feel about it (Loathing, Hatred, Annoyance, Indifference, Friendship, Trust, Kinship, Devotion and probably a few other steps in there as well).
    There's Aversion in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    They are opposing faiths in this game, about as well as Water and Fire, or Air and Earth, or Order and Chaos.

The Death in this game is not the balanced "clear old growth away" sort of Death that is necessary for new life to arise. It's a crazy necromancer worshiping an evil god who simply wants to wipe out all life entirely. There's a reason all the other Lords noped hard and (with varying degrees of willingness) worked together to take him out.
    In fact. Unlike other faiths where you actually have to do something to damage diplomatic relations, all other nations dispositions to Death automatically fall over time.

Spoiler: Lords of magic week 6
    Show

Our scouting cat gives us reports that the great temple of the Air people still lied unclaimed..... If the people of order recruited the people of earth. Were we supposed to recruit the people of air?

But the people of air apparently have some past grievances with the people of Chaos.

And we spotted a marauding party that seemed to contain a Pegasus. We were scared.

The Amazonian thief fled the scene leaving the Pegasus knight and their panther hunting creatures to zero in on us.

The spirits aided us in combat. Striking the knight with ghostly weapons and draining their life force.

The fighting was fierce and bloody, and there were fatalities on both sides. But we prevailed.

(Yay..... Pegasus marauding parties....)

Our wild cats somehow started to engage in trade with the Air people.

I'm still not entirely sure how.

(You'd think parley would be limited to creatures that can speak, or at least intelligent creatures.)

We offer them a very large gift to get them to be neutral to us.

[I really want to get an heir. Gift can provide quite a massive boost to relations.]

I stood before the air great temple.... I suppose it was sacred to their people, but all I saw were two large tubes spiraling inwards to a great height. Sighing. Wishing I had the goblins. Wishing I had all of my friends. I entered the temple.

A force of undead and goblins stood before us.

Although I do not remember the battle I did see the results. Although some died, we managed to free the Air Great temple from it's transgressors and gained a blade usable by Storm giants.

[We do not however gain the two free champions that the Chaos great temple gave to us. That's only for your elements great temple. (Or perhaps your first one.)]

The people of Air now bow down to me. We finally have an alliance to rival the Earth-Order alliance my people may yet be safe.

In the custom of the barbarians I adopted the faerie queen as my child, letting all the world know that should I fall, she will inherit rule over the united tribes.

Immediately, I set about a Storm giant sorcerer to learn the art of teleport artifact.

(Imagine what would happen if a Air party, found a really good artifact for a Chaos unit. I'd have to go turns out of my way to hand deliver it.)

Reports from the land of Chaos inform me that a group of squatters have invaded the chaos barracks. Praying that they were not yet another Pegasus knight, we sent the capital forces to deal with them.

Bear didn't have reports about how the battle went while he was in there, but he did send reports that while their were causalities on our side, the centaur skaters were removed from the barracks.

However, we were then intimidated by Elven forces.

They wanted one of our best spies, for a weak squad of elven cavalary. With some skillful negotiation we talked the lopsided trade to.

This.

[Similiar reasons apply. We don't actually lose anything most likely by giving them spell knowledge, and they will still pay for it.

Note though, that while a gift usually will just improve the other nation's disposition, an unfair trade will cause the nation getting screwed's disposition to fall. Our people now have a loathing of the elven people after this.]

Followers came to our two capitals. Inspired by tales of fame, and hatred of the Order people, and the elves.

One of our thieves, watches over this village for us. Where we may in the future make a tower, and another mages guild of the air people.

Our capital force is heavily wounded.
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-06-11 at 05:36 PM.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Some of your pictures aren't working.

Maybe try playing a game where you can't capture other capitals?
    Nah. I can see why people would do such things, but I've never been a big fan of send imposed challenges. I like to just play the game the way it was made.

27. - Top - End - #57

Some of your pictures aren't working.
    Should be fixed.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun to see a Let's play of Lords of Magic! Played it too back in the day, so nice to see it pop up now. I have a request for a screenshot, if you are willing to take requests! Can you show the inside of the spell library (or libraries) where we see one of your followers busy researching the spell? I specifically remember the library for earth containing up to, I think, four pointy-hatted gnomes researching. I now I am curious what it looks like for Chaos! And Air, since you just have access to that!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    Fun to see a Let's play of Lords of Magic! Played it too back in the day, so nice to see it pop up now. I have a request for a screenshot, if you are willing to take requests! Can you show the inside of the spell library (or libraries) where we see one of your followers busy researching the spell? I specifically remember the library for earth containing up to, I think, four pointy-hatted gnomes researching. I now I am curious what it looks like for Chaos! And Air, since you just have access to that!
    The libraries can each hold one researcher per level of the library, which can't be higher than the level of the capitol, which maxes out at Level 3. So anywhere from 1 to 3 researchers.

A level 1 capitol can have up to 8 followers working in each area (Fame, Money, Crystals, and Ale), level 2 can have 16 each, and level 3 can have 32 followers in each station. Also, a level 2 capitol gains city walls, and a level 3 capitol gains a gate and towers on the walls. Useful for when your capitol gets attacked.

You can also have experienced heroes transfer some of their XP to buildings (Warriors to Barracks, etc.). The highest-level hero in each building will add 1% of their XP per level of the building per day, up to a maximum of 10% of their XP per level of the building. All units generated from that building start with that amount of XP. Get that air thief to solo a few level 10 Troll caves, and ten days later, all your archers can start at level 5.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Ayyooo main Lords of magic, pasti seruuu genk...