New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Movies

1. - Top - End - #1

Default Perfect Movies

Recently I caught the film Ghost starring Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, and Patrick Swayze. This is an example of what I would call a perfect movie. There is no part of it that can be improved upon, in terms of the effect that the movie has on its audiences. Redoing the special effects would be irrelevant, the f/x are suitable. The acting is spot on, the plot, the locations, everything combines to form an effect that cannot be improved upon in terms of telling that story. Nothing distracts from the emotional core of the film.

What examples of perfect movies have you found?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Perfect Movies

I don't normally watch much movies, but "Shin Godzilla" and "Godfather" 1 and 2 (forget about 3) were perfect in my opinion.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much anything Tarentino did post Death Proof. Especially his first two films. Django would be right there with his earlier work if not for that last fifteen minutes or so of gore masturbation. But if you stop watching where Dr. Schultz dies and then fast forward to where Django and Broomhilda ride off you'd be close to a perfect movie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Alien is pretty perfect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah Aliens is an example, more recently I'd say Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs the world, Mad Max Fury Road. I think Forgetting Sarah Marshall might be a perfect Rom-Com but since I don't usually like those I might not be a good judge. I'm tempted to add Kingsman but it got a bit too silly near the end (or the rear end, hur hur hur).
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aliens is still my favourite , got to see it recently with the music played by live orchestra. :)
    I would add Shawshank Redemption to the list as well and possibly groundhog day
    (and battlefield earth as worst film ever)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The princess bride
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Amadeus is the first to come to mind.

I don't think you can really improve on Brazil.

Godfather 2 is hard to find a flaw. I think Godfather 1 comes close though parts of the middle drag slightly. It makes up for it with Brando's performance though.

Die Hard for action seems to hit every mark it sets for itself.

Psycho, Alien, and Aliens for horror/thriller.

For comedies Duck Soup, Some Like it Hot, The Big Lebowski, and Princess Bride reach perfection to me. Singing in the Rain is close, so damn close. But it loses points for the entirely pointless modern dance scene that lasts forever and does nothing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

When the worst part of the movie is knowing it's going to end. This is more than just looking forward to the climactic conclusion and be satisfied when it happens. That's a great movie. The perfect movie is really not wanting it to end to continue on after the climactic conclusion. The last time I felt that was "Guardians of the Galaxy", not that I see many movies. The one before that was the first Avengers movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Schindler's List - just the best film overall
    The Princess Bride - runner up for just the best film overall

Saving Private Ryan - the perfect war movie
    Die Hard - the perfect action movie
    The Exorcist - the perfect horror movie
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail - the perfect comedy movie
    Titanic - takes two categories, Disaster and Romance
    Memento - the perfect mystery movie
    Goodfellas - the perfect crime movie
    The Incredibles - the perfect family-friendly animated movie
    Forrest Gump - the perfect drama movie
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - the perfect Western
    Last edited by Ruslan; 2017-04-24 at 01:59 PM. Reason: updated with a few more categories

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I'm putting Avatar on the list, as well as grave of the fireflies.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I would take issue with many of the films mentioned so far, but I don't want to derail the thread. Nevertheless, my contributions:

Once Upon a Time in the West
    Chinatown
    Some Like it Hot
    Jaws
    The Third Man

Films that I think come close:
    Casablanca - I feel the Paris section could be cut and it would improve the film.
    Hot Fuzz - I have seen better comedies but the structure is hard to fault. The ending is messy, though.
    The Lord of the Rings - the more I watch these the more flaws I notice, but they are nevertheless astonishingly good pieces of film and it would be unreasonable to expect them to be substantially better.
    Terminator 2 - the tension, action and special effects have not dated; some of the right-on dialogue has.
    North by Northwest - actually hard to take issue with this, come to think of it. Worth a rewatch.
    Singin' in the Rain - the film that singlehandedly converted me to the cause of musical films. Flawed I think only in that the big showpiece dance near the end is too long.
    Blade Runner - director's cut, obviously. One or two spots where it drags, maybe.
    Lawrence of Arabia - some pacing issues but otherwise compels attention and fills its length in a way films that size rarely do. Great cinematography, great storytelling, great performances.
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I've only seen the extended edition and thought it was about 20 minutes too long but otherwise couldn't find much of a fault. The theatrical cut, 20 minutes shorter, might be just the ticket.
    The Prestige and Amélie - I'm just putting these here because I love them.

Others have already covered the first two Godfather films.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Terminator 2 - the tension, action and special effects have not dated; some of the right-on dialogue has.
    What Terminator 2 does right in my opinion is that it is a perfect sequel. It takes everything about the original movie (the concepts, the lore, the events) and builds it up better. We get a more interesting fight of machine vs. machine for higher stakes, more lore around Skynet and the Resistance, and callbacks to the previous movie that is nested well in this story. I often see movie reviewers use T2 as the measuring stick for what makes a good sequel. I think it's well deserved.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Hmmm, tricky.

Terminator
    Zulu
    Chinese Ghost Story
    Alien
    Monty Python's Holy Grail

Close ones
    Ken Branagh's version of 'Henry V' ( the singing of the hymn after Agincourt just doesn't quite work for me)
    Last of the Mohicans ( I loved this film until I noticed that with two exceptions while the american heroes knock off bad guys by the score the entire British army done't manage to kill one )
    Actually I generally find Michael Mann's films (not that I've seen them all) as being near perfect but with one flaw wether it be over length, dialogue, unconvincing plot, etc
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

15. - Top - End - #15

Andrey Rublev. Best film ever made imho.
    L'Armata Brancaleone. To hell with noble knights!
    I have heard impressive things of The Desert of the Tartars, but I still need to watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #16

RangerGuy

John Carpenter's The Thing, and The Crow.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ravenous and Kubo and the Two Strings. At the end of both movies i went "I cant find anything to complain about" which is rare for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

In my opinion, the first Back to the Future movie is a perfect movie. Or at least an almost perfect film.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I'd hesitate to call any work of art "perfect" or "unable to be improved upon", but let's run on the assumption that you mean "a movie which came together perfectly for you" so I can float by on a technicality.

For me, the movie I cite when it comes to near-perfect scripting is Hot Fuzz. Almost every single line in that movie has payoff - even ones which sound like idle banter - particularly when it comes to first half vs. last half. They set up jokes you don't even notice until the third viewing, and it's brilliantly put together even if it's not flawless. So that's my vote.

I can also echo the general love of The Thing as a horror movie that's actually about horror. Paranoia, the unknown, some potential ambiguity, and killer practical effects. Top notch.

I'd have to think hard to come up with clearer examples beyond that.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think there is a perfect piece of art.

Except for maybe Ulysses.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

None. No perfect movie (or book, or song, or anything) exists. Claiming something is perfect is an insult to that particular piece as well as to art as a whole. To do so is to grow stale, to stop improving and stop evolving. Something with no flaws has no point. If you cannot improve it, it has nothing to teach you. You need to be able to criticise the things you love. You need to be able to see the flaws in things you hold dear. Not doing so is the launch point of fanaticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Spirited away and Pan's labyrinth.
    Shamash! The true sun god!

Praise the sun! \o/

I also have a DeviantArt now... Most are drafts of my D&D campaigns but if you want to take a look.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    None. No perfect movie (or book, or song, or anything) exists. Claiming something is perfect is an insult to that particular piece as well as to art as a whole. To do so is to grow stale, to stop improving and stop evolving. Something with no flaws has no point. If you cannot improve it, it has nothing to teach you. You need to be able to criticise the things you love. You need to be able to see the flaws in things you hold dear. Not doing so is the launch point of fanaticism.
    How would you improve on Ghost? And don't say "I remake it now differently..." no, you're the director, in 1988, you have the benefit of prescience to know how it would have been received had you left it as it is, you have infinite money and every connection to everyone in Hollywood and the world, how do you make Ghost better than it already is?
    Last edited by Donnadogsoth; 2017-04-24 at 08:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm probably weird in that the movie I think is perfect isn't even on my favorite movie list: US Marshals.

The writing is amazingly clean and concise, it makes good use of conservation of detail and foreshadowing, the overall cinematography is clean and has no wasted/unnecessary footage that I've been able to see, the characters are easy to identify with, and it doesn't require you to bring knowledge of the genre or the previous movie with you into the show to enjoy it. It's simply one of the best executed movies I've ever seen, and I rarely like cop movies.

Sadly, I find all of my favorite movies are quite flawed when I judge their technical execution. I'd love to get to list a few more here, but I can think of mistakes and flaws in all of them. (I like B-movies, so that's to be expected, really.)
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The original King Kong.

80 years later, with all our technology, all attempts to improve it failed miserably.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Blade runner
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Donnadogsoth View Post
    How would you improve on Ghost? And don't say "I remake it now differently..." no, you're the director, in 1988, you have the benefit of prescience to know how it would have been received had you left it as it is, you have infinite money and every connection to everyone in Hollywood and the world, how do you make Ghost better than it already is?
    No idea, I haven't watched it.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Can't think of anything, movie or otherwise, that I would consider "perfect."

I can think of movies that I think are very good and that I enjoyed very much, but perfect? Nope.

Maybe the closest thing to something I would qualify as being close to "perfect" in any medium would be Spacecraft 2000-2100 AD, and even that is not perfect (the timeline is hilariously dated, for one, considerin ion drive was invented in 1987!) And that is unquestionably the single biggest influence of any medium on my life and unlife and spoke to me in a fundemental way no movie or novel ever could; so no, I don't think anything can ever be qualified as perfect.

(You don't want to ask me how I'd improve Ghost, by-the-by, because I very much doubt you'd appreciate what I would do to it, considering that I would not appreiciate it on pretty much any level to start with...!)

29. - Top - End - #29

"The Dinner of Idiots", the original french movie of the 1990s. Everyone i know who seen this movie would agree its as perfect a comedy as possible. Its literally impossible to improve on it; everything is peak point. The music, the performance, the delivery, the beat, the cinematography.

Its so fantastic that people i know start laughing just by quoting a few lines in a group. Its the movie that the only reason you wouls object to putting it on is "i seen it last week already", and even then.

This is the best straight-up comedy movie i have ever seen, and i wept at the pathetic american remake who not only missed the tone of the comedy, but also the point of the characters and story.

30. - Top - End - #30

I'm also in the "nothing is perfect" camp, or rather, there can be perfect but I don't think I'm qualified to judge. Even my favorite movies contain things that can be improved upon. For that matter, there are better movies that I do not like, because taste and quality are not the same thing.

But if I had to pick one movie as a perfect film, I would without hesitation say Wild Strawberries. The Seventh Seal gets all the love, but I think Wild Strawberries is a much better film.