The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 132
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Norway

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    I'm very much in favour of drowned civilizations myself, and the more immediate setting of a floating scavenger-city has a lot of scope for interesting situations - different cultures, different factions, enemies within and without, extra dimensions to explore (I'm thinking of a mostly-submerged Undercity populated by aquatic or amphibious races). Could be a fun place to build a resistance movement?

    @MintyNinja - a healthy fear of drowning sounds like a good survival trait in the world RickAllison's describing!

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Leucis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    If Ruslan is cool with it, then I think we have a good idea here. I'd enjoy anything, though this one does seem pretty nice. I've wanted to do a campaign that involves a lot of water (pirates, drowned civilizations, and so on). I was thinking to play a wizard character (or a cleric, if the party ends up really needing one). It was mentioned that arcane magic is "highly prized even as it is looked on with suspicion" and that makes it sound pretty fun to play a class that handles arcane magic.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Would you all want a more intrigue- or guerrilla-based resistance? I lean toward intrigue, but open fighting in the streets could work too.

    I suppose I should give a few more snippets about th potential setting. The fleet-cities are composed of smaller ships, some with their own connections and allegiances. Each shipbthat composes a fleet has a captain and most fleets use these captains as the governing body. Each ship has its own way of deciding its officers, and each city has its own way of deciding how to divide up the power among the ships. These ships are sometimes massive affairs, ships that support towering residences merged together into a cross between downtown Nashville and a favela. Sometimes they are ordinary ships, and these are often attached to the edges so they can detach more conveniently for scavenging or fishing. Sometimes they are flat barges, covered in soil and painstakingly tended by Druids, farmers, and other naturalists.

    Aquatic flora and fauna serve as the primary food source for the cities. Terrestrial crops and animals have been preserved by dedicated keepers, but they are expensive and generally reserved for those with great power or for festivals. A side of beef carefully grilled is considered among the most precious of meals. Fresh water is understandably a concern, and anyone with the right spells is welcome on any ship if they can purify or create water as every bit helps when the rains don't fall.

    The ships follow particular paths throughout the world, called Mana Streams, which are a source of magic to power the great engines when the ocean currents are not enough propulsion. Theoretically, mages could tap directly into these streams to augment their power, but it is too dangerous in practice. They have been known to spontaneously erupt with magical energy when the mana concentration is high enough.

    Whale-squid are considered sacred by most fleet-cities. These massive creatures have been known to tear apart entire cities when angered, but also have guided ships in dire straits into the path of a rain or back onto the currents. To kill one is considered not only bad luck, but blasphemy and putting the entire city at risk. These creatures are responsible for the destruction of all known aquatic cities seen as intrusions on their domain, with tritons and water elves being forced to become nomads or to join the floating cities. There have been legends of hidden societies that have survived the cetaceans' wrath, but nothing has been found yet. There are some who actively worship the whale-squid, and these practitioners often are prejudiced towards the aquatic outcasts.

    As for the particular city, I hope to have more input from the players. The nature of the fleet-cities is such that its components are highly modular.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    If we're going with occupied city then I don't necessarily see why we can't have both an Intrigue and Guerrilla plot. If anyone's seen "Colony" (a show where aliens have invaded and put people into special zones) it's very much a two pronged front: Polite society tries to continue with their new overlords while some may be funding or supplying the resistance movement in the city.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Leucis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    I see you mentioned water elves - I'm a little curious about that. Is that just an adjective to mention elves that work with the water, did I misunderstand, or is it a homebrewed race?
    And again, I'll leave the decisions up to the other players with what they choose to do (both intrigue and guerrilla sounds good) but I was thinking of maybe the PCs come from a smaller town near a city but not right in it, to be able to make things more personal, where the characters would be able to know a large amount of people in their town.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucis View Post
    I see you mentioned water elves - I'm a little curious about that. Is that just an adjective to mention elves that work with the water, did I misunderstand, or is it a homebrewed race?
    And again, I'll leave the decisions up to the other players with what they choose to do (both intrigue and guerrilla sounds good) but I was thinking of maybe the PCs come from a smaller town near a city but not right in it, to be able to make things more personal, where the characters would be able to know a large amount of people in their town.
    So there are water elves, but 5e does not have a race for them yet. It does, however, have water half-elves, the rules for which are in SCAG.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    So I think I've come around on the Drowned World and as such have a character drafted up. However, if the entire world is drowned and we're not investigating dangerous islands then I think any search team needs some method for breathing underwater. Either a Cleric in every party (not unreasonable) or special items owned by the city and rented out by the adventurers, or their own loot. I checked quickly and found four items that could be of use, descending order from best: Cloak of the Manta Ray (DMG 159), Cap of Water Breathing (DMG 157), Mariner's Armor (DMG 181), and Potion of Water Breathing (DMG 188). I'm just saying that water breathing items or spells are going to be necessary unless we have a very tight knit group with a cleric or we're all aquatic races.

    Also, here's the base character idea:
    Spoiler: Delvin Degamba
    Show
    Delvin is an almost-middle-aged violist and charming bladesman.
    (Variant Human: Dual Wielder Feat, Entertainer Background, Swashbuckler Rogue)

    He has a wife and daughter in town but his own restless nature forces him back out into the wide horizons for the next treasure hunt. He says he's doing it for them, but he says a lot of things.

    I have more, but I'll wait till actual character creation.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Norway

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucis View Post
    I was thinking of maybe the PCs come from a smaller town near a city but not right in it, to be able to make things more personal, where the characters would be able to know a large amount of people in their town.
    Perhaps we could have the best of both worlds, with our characters belonging to a relatively small ship-district belonging to a larger fleet-city? Whatever change that's upset our status as Cool and Heroic Scavengers could be a larger-scale thing that filters down to our own ship, or a smaller-scale problem (that may or may not have larger ramifications...).
    Personally I'm unhelpfully neutral on the intrigue vs. resistance question, but it seems the setting could easily encompass both - intrigue on the homeship, fighting in the fleet, for example.

    @ Mintyninja - good points about waterbreathing (and I like that the setting gives new importance to some spells or abilities one might otherwise take for granted). I suppose that even if we're often dealing with half-drowned ruins we'd likely have a system for getting underwater, whether that's a cleric or some aquatic team members.

    Character sounds cool too! I'm currently brainstorming ideas - initial thought was a Triton weather-witch, still trying to decide if that means Cleric or Druid or something else entirely. I'd want to incorporate something of the nomadic, possibly persecuted backstory Tritons have in this setting, it makes the race much more appealing to me.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    The world has a variety of answers for diving, but some are better than others. Magic items that permit it are jealously guarded as they allow holders to dive without paying nearly so many people while still accessing small areas. The Water Breathing spell is the default option for personal diving, but spellcasters capable of casting it are few and far between, and cities with only one are not uncommon, and smaller ones may have none at all. For the majority of divers, mechanical methods are preferred. The most common machine for this is the Chimera, a huge machine tapped into the magical fuel of the ship it is tied to, with powerful claws for opening hulls and smaller limbs for collecting. Smaller machines called Gigas also exist and function as independent exploration vessels that are not bound to a ship. These are powerful monstrosities and only held by the best, though tethered, weaker versions have been engineered for use by scavengers who can't obtain other methods.

    There are plenty of ways to operate underwater, but some are definitely better. A crew of Gigases would be best, but I don't imagine that will ever happen. Well, it might, but it would not be a good thing as it would likely be villainous rather than heroic... Options for you all would include piggybacking a caster NPC, working the tethered mechs, or scavenging from floating ruins. Or, I suppose, pirate-hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Since this seems to have stalled again I thought I'd get the ball rolling. Here's my character concept. There's a lot of UA stuff so I understand if you think I should change it. I just thought I'd respark some interest.

    Spoiler: Character concept
    Show

    Mogara Zakhan, a minotaur sorcerer of the sea (from UA waterborne and UA sorcerer respectively)

    Mogara was a pirate, like so many of her race, and was second mate aboard a ship of buccaneers who trawled the oceans. However, she objected to the ruthless methods that many of her crewmembers employed and once accidentally killed a crewman after being appalled by the manner in which he treated some elven sailors whose ship they had captured.

    For her treachery, the captain of the ship marooned her, leaving her in a tiny rowboat with barely enough rations to last her the month. However, she did not die within a month.

    She lived on the rowboat for almost an entire year, fishing in the shallows and scavenging from wrecked or abandoned vessels. She did not know how she survived. At times it felt almost as though the mana stream itself was keeping her alive.

    After a year had passed, she finally washed up against the town where the adventure starts. It was only when she climbed into dry land that she realised the powers that the ocean had bestowed on her.

    The natives accepted her as one of their own, helping her start a new life as a scavenger in return for her sorcery. She has stayed there ever since.
    Last edited by Aardvark 001; 2017-05-23 at 10:34 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Is this still open for applications?
    I'm thinking of a beast master ranger with a giant crab.

    Also, Vive la reveloution!
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2017-05-23 at 05:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Leucis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    I think I'd like to play a wizard (I might play those a little too much, if the party wants another class I'll change to that), probably a pirate gnome or wood/high elf. I might play a firbolg Druid, too, if you allow that.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark 001 View Post
    Since this seems to have stalled again I thought I'd get the ball rolling again. Here's my character concept. There's a lot of UA stuff so I understand if you think I should change it. I just thought I'd respark some interest.

    Spoiler: Character concept
    Show

    Mogara Zakhan, a minotaur sorcerer of the sea (from UA waterborne and UA sorcerer respectively)

    Mogara was a pirate, like so many of her race, and was second mate aboard a ship of buccaneers who trawled the oceans. However, she objected to the ruthless methods that many of her crewmembers employed and once accidentally killed a crewman after being appalled by the manner in which he treated some elven sailors whose ship they had captured.

    For her treachery, the captain of the ship marooned her, leaving her in a tiny rowboat with barely enough rations to last her the month. However, she did not die within a month.

    She lived on the rowboat for almost an entire year, fishing in the shallows and scavenging from wrecked or abandoned vessels. She did not know how she survived. At times it felt almost as though the mana stream itself was keeping her alive.

    After a year had passed, she finally washed up against the town where the adventure starts. It was only when she climbed into dry land that she realised the powers that the ocean had bestowed on her.

    The natives accepted her as one of their own, helping her start a new life as a scavenger in return for her sorcery. She has stayed there ever since.
    Your UA is fine, though "dry land" is a relative term :smallgrin:

    Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Is this still open for applications?
    I'm thinking of a beast master ranger with a giant crab.

    Also, Vive la reveloution!
    I think we have space, depending on how many of the early posters come back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucis View Post
    I think I'd like to play a wizard (I might play those a little too much, if the party wants another class I'll change to that), probably a pirate gnome or wood/high elf. I might play a firbolg Druid, too, if you allow that.
    Firbolg Druid is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Sorry, was waiting for a big 16 of some sort before creating the sheet. What level are we starting at?
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    A few question:
    Starting level?
    Can you give me an amphibious animal companion for the beast conclave? Maybe a crocodile? Otherwise it get's wierd how I'm keeping a wild boar or something useful on a boat.
    Are volo's monsters all OK? I want to make a lizardfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    I'd love to play a storm barbarian of some sort. How are monsterous races accepted

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Leucis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    I've decided to play a gnomish (rock gnome) wizard, as I liked a concept I made for a previous campaign that never started. I'll change for this campaign, of course. I've got a few ideas that I'll start typing up, but I'm not completely certain on what to do yet.

    (I actually am not sure if this would fit in well, but have been thinking about something like this for a while. It's a bit long and written quite poorly, I'll touch it up later on if the DM approves of at least part of it)

    Spoiler: Backstory draft
    Show

    Jorvyn Valrick, a young adult rock gnome wizard. He actually has an incredibly long name his mother and all the other gnomes on the ship offically gave him, but simply introduces himself as Jorvyn or any nickname another has given him.

    He grew up on a large ship of a mixed community of many races, perhaps 30 or so people total. Aboard, there was only the occasional child. The children are brought up by the entire ship. Everyone had a close relation with one another and often, children addressed other adults as "uncle" and "aunt" or other terms such as "grandma/grandpa", even when having no relation to the child's parent. Only Jorvyn's mother was on the ship, though he didn't mind not knowing the rest of his biological family, satisfied with the ship's crew as his family. He worked around and did various jobs, becoming quite good at fixing just about anything that needed to be fixed, learning from the engineers of the ship.

    After he became a little older, however, having just matured, the (quite elderly) wizard of the ship left for a more permanent home in one of the floating cities to be with civilization. Jorvyn decided to go along with the wizard, having grown very close with him. Once the wizard and Jorvyn had found homes, he decided to become the gnome's mentor and began teaching him wizardry. He went over to the old wizard's home daily, taking in every lesson and becoming extremely devoted to practicing and learning, spending hours every day studying, and tinkering in his free time. Eventually, the old wizard (I should come up with a name for him) did not have the energy to keep teaching Jorvyn, instead deciding to rest for what would quite possibly be his final few years.

    Even after staying with the wizard for a while, Jorvyn was determined not to quit, and so decided to continue practicing without his mentor, becoming good enough at magic to call himself a wizard. It was at this point he ran out of resources to learn from in the city and decided to leave. I'm assuming he'd have gone on his adventure at this point. He left his city and started to travel again, taking in as much information about the world as he could. (And the campaign begins with him going home)

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    Sorry, was waiting for a big 16 of some sort before creating the sheet. What level are we starting at?
    Ask and ye shall receive! (Also reminding the GM that he has gotten so excited over his setting that he forgets the crunch....)

    Spoiler: Questionnaire!
    Show
    System: 5e D&D
    Player Count: 4-5 I think was the plan
    Style of Play: RP, intrigue, pretty much anything that you want to try.
    Allowed Content: Anything officially released is fine. UA with permission. I try to stay away from homebrew unless it is something minor like a race or a spell.

    Character Creation:


    • Backstory: Skirt length. Just need some attachment to the fleet-city and why you joined with the others.
    • Experience: Level 5. You aren't the young pups just making a name for yourself, and you are known by sight from everyone on your home ships. While the fleet at large is less familiar with you as people, your ship's name jogs just about everyone's mind. Some may see you as upstarts, others as pawns, and many as heroes. You have enough power to make a difference, but you must be careful not to bite off more than you can chew.
    • Wealth: 1000 gp and one approved uncommon magic item found on your explorations.
    • Ability Scores: Point-buy, but you get 30 points instead of 27.
    • Hitpoints/Health: Average for levels past the first.
    • Alignment: Don't be a jerk?


    Other Notes: A few houserules and rulings. Goodberry with Life Cleric gets extra berries rather than a boost to each berry. Being unseen doesn't give you advantage unless you can see the target. Charm Person and such leave a magical trace, a subconscious knowledge of the source of the enchantment that influences their behavior.


    Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    A few question:
    Starting level?
    Can you give me an amphibious animal companion for the beast conclave? Maybe a crocodile? Otherwise it get's wierd how I'm keeping a wild boar or something useful on a boat.
    Are volo's monsters all OK? I want to make a lizardfolk
    Well there is nothing preventing animal companions being amphibious. Considering that they can fly, swimming seems rather less powerful.

    Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    I'd love to play a storm barbarian of some sort. How are monsterous races accepted
    Everyone is accepted. Being in constant contact on a composite vessel makes everyone have to be somewhat civil, considering that a rogue element could potentially bring down the entire fleet. Most wouldn't had any preexisting prejudices as they are more rare. You are more likely to be judged based on previous behavior than appearance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucis View Post
    I've decided to play a gnomish (rock gnome) wizard, as I liked a concept I made for a previous campaign that never started. I'll change for this campaign, of course. I've got a few ideas that I'll start typing up, but I'm not completely certain on what to do yet.

    (I actually am not sure if this would fit in well, but have been thinking about something like this for a while. It's a bit long and written quite poorly, I'll touch it up later on if the DM approves of at least part of it)

    Spoiler: Backstory draft
    Show

    Jorvyn Valrick, a young adult rock gnome wizard. He actually has an incredibly long name his mother and all the other gnomes on the ship offically gave him, but simply introduces himself as Jorvyn or any nickname another has given him.

    He grew up on a large ship of a mixed community of many races, perhaps 30 or so people total. Aboard, there was only the occasional child. The children are brought up by the entire ship. Everyone had a close relation with one another and often, children addressed other adults as "uncle" and "aunt" or other terms such as "grandma/grandpa", even when having no relation to the child's parent. Only Jorvyn's mother was on the ship, though he didn't mind not knowing the rest of his biological family, satisfied with the ship's crew as his family. He worked around and did various jobs, becoming quite good at fixing just about anything that needed to be fixed, learning from the engineers of the ship.

    After he became a little older, however, having just matured, the (quite elderly) wizard of the ship left for a more permanent home in one of the floating cities to be with civilization. Jorvyn decided to go along with the wizard, having grown very close with him. Once the wizard and Jorvyn had found homes, he decided to become the gnome's mentor and began teaching him wizardry. He went over to the old wizard's home daily, taking in every lesson and becoming extremely devoted to practicing and learning, spending hours every day studying, and tinkering in his free time. Eventually, the old wizard (I should come up with a name for him) did not have the energy to keep teaching Jorvyn, instead deciding to rest for what would quite possibly be his final few years.

    Even after staying with the wizard for a while, Jorvyn was determined not to quit, and so decided to continue practicing without his mentor, becoming good enough at magic to call himself a wizard. It was at this point he ran out of resources to learn from in the city and decided to leave. I'm assuming he'd have gone on his adventure at this point. He left his city and started to travel again, taking in as much information about the world as he could. (And the campaign begins with him going home)
    Sounds good to me! Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Well there is nothing preventing animal companions being amphibious. Considering that they can fly, swimming seems rather less powerful.
    I mean from the revised ranger beast conclave not original ranger beast master.

    This one exclusively lists apes, bears, boars giant badgers, giant weasels, mules, panthers and wolves none of which are swimmers.
    It does suggest the DM can pick an appropriate animal based on terrain and what would logically be present.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    I mean from the revised ranger beast conclave not original ranger beast master.

    This one exclusively lists apes, bears, boars giant badgers, giant weasels, mules, panthers and wolves none of which are swimmers.
    It does suggest the DM can pick an appropriate animal based on terrain and what would logically be present.
    Giant Frog, Giant Sea Horse, or Reef Shark float your boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Leucis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Off-topic but I'm amused by this quote, can I use it in my signature?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!
    Also, starting level 5 sounds good! I'll start on my character sheet. Do you have a deadline for it? I may be a bit busy until Sunday, but I could get it done before then.
    Last edited by Leucis; 2017-05-24 at 06:51 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucis View Post
    Off-topic but I'm amused by this quote, can I use it in my signature?



    Also, starting level 5 sounds good! I'll start on my character sheet. Do you have a deadline for it? I may be a bit busy until Sunday, but I could get it done before then.
    Grab it away! And don't worry about delays, I will actually be in Disney World until the 30th so there is plenty of time to flesh out ideas, think of backstory, and to think about what kind of ship ysou all want your "neighborhood" to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Rolling for background trinket: (1d100)[38]

    Here's my sheet for Mogara the minotaur sorceress. For my uncommon item, could I have an eversmoking bottle? I'm thinking that could pair with the labyrinthine recall to make a good escape strategy.

    Also, I was wondering if I could exchange my navigation and water vehicle proficiencies from my sailor background for proficiency with a shortsword (or in this case a cutlass) and an extra language. I already have the sailor proficiencies from my racial features and I think these ones will fit the character background quite well.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Giant Frog, Giant Sea Horse, or Reef Shark float your boat?
    I was hoping for something reptilian to go with my lizardfolk but maybe I could go with a shark or something.

    Also worst pun ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Mogara's requests are fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    I was hoping for something reptilian to go with my lizardfolk but maybe I could go with a shark or something.

    Also worst pun ever.
    You would not call it the worst if you had heard the Wars my siblings and I have...

    So tyrannosaurids have a life cycle where they don't hit major growth spurts until four years. I'm extrapolating this so that spinosaurus has a similar curve for growth. So how about a young spinosaurus built off the velociraptor? Give it a swim speed of 30 ft and the ability to hold its breath for 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Mogara's requests are fine.



    You would not call it the worst if you had heard the Wars my siblings and I have...

    So tyrannosaurids have a life cycle where they don't hit major growth spurts until four years. I'm extrapolating this so that spinosaurus has a similar curve for growth. So how about a young spinosaurus built off the velociraptor? Give it a swim speed of 30 ft and the ability to hold its breath for 15 minutes.
    OK Sure!
    I still don't know why a crocodile wouldn't be easier than a dinosaur (are crocs OP in 5E?) but I'll definitely take one.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    OK Sure!
    I still don't know why a crocodile wouldn't be easier than a dinosaur (are crocs OP in 5E?) but I'll definitely take one.
    The croc stat block is both at a higher power level and is too large for a companion, so I would have to modify beyond adding a swim speed and breathing. Raptor was easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    The croc stat block is both at a higher power level and is too large for a companion, so I would have to modify beyond adding a swim speed and breathing. Raptor was easy.
    OK, raptor with swim speed, 15 min underwater and maybe as a balancer slower on land?

    Got it, will be making a sheet soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

    Oh well, it should still be fun.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    For my magic item, could I request Mariner's Armor (Studded Leather)(DMG 181) for my Human Rogue? Second choice would be Ring of Water Walking (DMG 193).
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: [D&D 5E] Homecoming - Looking for DM

    Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    For my magic item, could I request Mariner's Armor (Studded Leather)(DMG 181) for my Human Rogue? Second choice would be Ring of Water Walking (DMG 193).
    Go for Mariner's Armor!
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •