New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Some sorta spam thing on the comic

On basically all the comic pages, there's some kinda weird link area on the right side of the screen that takes me to one of those shady, "Your computer is in big trouble," type pages. Not sure if it's on my end or yours. Thought ya folks might want to know if it's the latter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Some sorta spam thing on the comic

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    On basically all the comic pages, there's some kinda weird link area on the right side of the screen that takes me to one of those shady, "Your computer is in big trouble," type pages. Not sure if it's on my end or yours. Thought ya folks might want to know if it's the latter.
    I see it too. It feels like it's on the giantitp.com site (i.e. I don't think it's in my browser).

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Not seein' it. Using Vivaldi.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am seeing an ad blocked (not the Project Wonderful ad that is supposed to be here to help fund the forum) with uBlock Origin on most forum threads (such as http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...cussion-Thread ) right now. It appears to be http://s. skimresources. com/js/66663X1511838.skimlinks.js" (I put in spaces to make it not a link).

If that's part of an intentional "good" ad, let me know so I can stop worrying about it (and probably unblock it if it's from someplace reasonably reputable and the money raised goes to this site - I've never heard of this company before). Otherwise, it's something to clean out of the forum software again.

uBlock isn't finding ads of any kind on the actual site comic pages, such as http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1070.html . (The "internal" ads Rich puts in to promote book sales and such aren't in the pre-existing filter since they're local rather than from an ad network, and I never saw any reason to add them to my own block list since it's stuff I actually buy to support the site I'm on, which is not the kind of ad I'm trying to block.)

I'm running Firefox 52.0.2 (32-bit) (and apparently need to restart it to update) on Windows 7.
    Last edited by Algeh; 2017-04-24 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    skimresources
    skimresources is fine. We use it primarily to lower the attractiveness of spam bots posting links on the site. One of the main things it does is to scan for and modify outbound links, making them less effective at increasing search rankings.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I'm "seeing" the same thing on the main comic pages. 2 or 3 invisible ads on the right side of the screen.
    They don't cause much issues on computers, I've tried with several browsers (chrome, IE) and computers ,but on mobile browsers they can cover up the "next / most recent" arrows.

addresses include: (with spaces to prevent linking)
    https:// 9e707e7476ea4f15106fa765b8cdc9cf.adsk2.co/9e707e7476ea4f15106fa765b8cdc9cf/ creatives/75226974

and

https:// adplexmedia.adk2x.com/ imp?p=74596235&ct=html&ap=1304
    FFRP Characters
    Nexus RailITP

7. - Top - End - #7

I'm getting the same invisible ad to the right of the comic, pointing to

https://adplexmedia.adk2x.com/imp?p=...t=html&ap=1304

Running Firefox 53.0 on Ubuntu 16.04

Clicking it gives me a series of redirects that end up on random quiz, referral, and fake Norton antivirus pages.

edit- verified what MPG said, shrinking the window will push the invisible ad over the comic and buttons.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2017-05-05 at 02:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I continue to not see this here - running Firefox 53.0 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 box with Ublock Origin with Comcast as my ISP. (Checking GiantITP from my work laptop again...). I also don't see the ads with Chrome Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit) and no ad blocker installed.

I've been looking at comic #1070 (current comic) and comic #1069 (most recently previous comic) in each browser, read through the page source on each browser, and on Firefox also pulled up the summary that lists all of the images on the page (I have no idea how to find the equivalent information in Chrome, since I only use that browser for work stuff and haven't really learned the advanced features). I also tried making each window tiny to see if I could reproduce the behavior where the previous/next buttons are covered, and I could not.

Where in the page source do you find the ads inserted?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Try searching the source for "adplexmedia"
    It's an iframe in the bottom right, with no visible content.

10. - Top - End - #10

When I search the source of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1070.html I do not find any iframes. I have tried searching for "ifr" in the source for that page in all three browsers installed on this laptop and did not get any matches. I also tried searching for "adp" to try to find adplexmedia and did not get any matches in the source for that page on any of the three browsers.

11. - Top - End - #11

Interesting... it's not there under "View Source" but I do find it through F12...

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    Interesting... it's not there under "View Source" but I do find it through F12...
    I don't see it using the IE developer tools either. Searched for "adp" and "ifr" with no results in the Debugger.

My personal unfounded suspicions are (a) malware/adware on individual computers or (b) some ISP or other intermediary between Giantitp and your computer (but not mine) injecting it into the page.

My other suspicion is that my work may be running some kind of cleaner that I don't know about that filters this out for me. This is theoretically possible, but I'm not at work or running through a VPN (because they are too cheap to provide us with VPNs despite the face that we're 40% remote/60% on-site which is an entirely separate complaint) so it would have to be something installed on the computer itself that silently did this in all 3 browsers rather than something on the work network. (This seems unlikely based on the general types of things our IT folks tend to do or not do, but I suppose is possible.)

13. - Top - End - #13

You may be on to something, it looks like the source is "google-addon.php"

Tried to find out which if any of my extensions causes it, but now it's gone despite me being back to the original settings

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by derfy View Post
    Ad seen (didn't load image) on main comic page.
    Ad URL:
    Time seen: 1:28PM CDT.
    Region: USA.
    Type of ad: Fake 'you need to update your software' malware page.

Image may be here (dunno if I can post links):
    http://i.imgur.com/wNRqkut.png

Inspect Element open showing where the ad is:
    http://i.imgur.com/fYRbFDR.png
    Reported here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=523
    Last edited by Algeh; 2017-05-29 at 02:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Thanks!

Also, this needs to be more than 10 characters so... love the comic!