New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Where do you borrow ideas from for your campaign?

Sometimes, I get ideas from media I consume, in the form of concepts and plots I can twist into different approaches.

I probably draw a lot from TVtropes, honestly, because playing with tropes can be fun.

I also tend to draw inspiration for specific game systems and settings from the materials on those settings, themselves. The Exalted game I'm running is mostly of this form. That, plus efforts to mesh the Backgrounds of my PCs into the setting and figure out what connects to which, where, how, and why.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a GM who gets her plot ideas from Harlequin novels.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    You'd think the party would get bored at all of the time travelling vikings that joined the military.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

History, Tolkien, and other people's games mostly for me.

I have said multiple times that each episode synopsis for DuckTales would make for a good premise for a D&D game, but alas, I've never tried it.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

All over.

For a pulp campaign I used the stories from the Tintin comics. For another I took stories from hellboy and the bprd.

For one supers campaign I used the james bond modules from victory games. At other times Ive borrowed major storylines from Marvel, DC and Image comics.
    Beyond Heroes: A site dedicated to heroic roleplaying of all eras including fantasy, pulp, modern and future with my own magic system and compatible with OD&D, AD&D 1E and 2E. And a section for the Palladium rpgs. Most articles available as downloadable PDFs either from the main site or the Facebook group.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I usually try to extrapolate from other campaigns. If I am lazy then I will burrow, if I am not then I will extrapolate.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    You'd think the party would get bored at all of the time travelling vikings that joined the military.
    I'm more concerned that there are whole novels dedicated to Harley and that these are inspiration for campaigns. They must be real mind-screws!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    Worth a watch?

One of those (maybe literal) CGI abominations was the reason why I couldn't sleep for one night.

Spoiler
    Show
    And why did the main character suddenly have paladin powers after everything he's done?!
    The CGI was an effect of the low budget they were working with. The movie was worth watching, and I stand by that. It's not "go buy the Blu-Ray" good, but it's worth renting, or borrowing from a friend.

And he still had paladin powers because this was based off 4e, not 3e.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I like to steal borrow maps and premade encounters from published modules from AD&D and 5e, and Adventurers' League modules quite liberally, and sometimes the initial setup, but don't adhere too closely to the plot. I'll often pull from several different ones and kitbash, refluff, and rearrange them into something that bears very little resemblance to the sources.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    On purpose? Nothing

Subconsciously? Everything
    Ja. Everything I pay attention to, from a landscape photograph to a book on medieval economics to TV shows I watch leaves a kind of psychic resonance that will out in whatever I create in ways gross or subtle.