New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Movies you regret watching

Christmas with the Kranks - Tim Allen in a speedo with a bad spray tan.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I would say The Imitation Game. Except, had I not watched it, I wouldn't be able to complain about it, and I've probably gotten more complaint equity than I lost view time. Maybe Bicentennial Man? Really hated that movie, and didn't really get much value from it afterwards. AI, to continue the weird robotics computers theming that seems to surround my least favorite films for no clear reason? It's a movie that made me deeply uncomfortable in ways that I don't know it was necessarily supposed to. Least it was a kinda unique experience. I really hated Death to Smoochy, but again, it topped out my least favorite movie list for awhile, so there's intrinsic value to that.

This all feels a bit like that stupid paradox, y'know? The one where you're supposed to identify an uninteresting number, but oh wait, if you're calling it uninteresting then it must be interesting by dint of being the first uninteresting number. The movie I most regret watching will inevitably be one I didn't actually regret watching because the, "Movie with greatest regret value," slot is a precious one in my mind. It's a slot that's lead to so much cool discussion, and thought, and understanding about what makes movies bad. Maybe the actual movie I most regret watching is something super banal and pointless, but they usually have something to them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Mostly, I stop watching bad movies pretty early. THere were two exceptions I can think of right now. In both cases, we were in the cinema, we had paid for it already so we thought we'd sit it out.

Cowboys vs. Aliens was unbelievably dull. During the break, we debated leaving and decided to stay, in case it got at least an overblown stupid explosion finale. It didn't.

Man of Steel. Terrible. Once again, during the break, we talked about leaving, but we had to stay in town for something else. Didn't turn out so bad, in the second half we at least got to laugh at how bad it was in an empty cinema.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

This guy:

To this day, I still didn't get over the hooks part. I think it will hunt me to the rest of my life. To think some people actually do that in real life… Urrrggg X_x
    Last edited by LughSpear; 2017-04-27 at 10:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

The Happening. That I don't like Mark Wahlberg as an actor didn't help. Sadly, I didn't read about the premise beforehand, as I relatively spontaneously went with a couple of friends. When you have to try to create suspense by showing wind blowing through some trees, you have a problem.

The Spirit. I expected some kind of film noir. What I got was insufferably dumb. Awful dialogues, bad comedy ("toilets are always funny"? No.) and boring characters.

The Counselor. The most vile on the list, because it is so pretentious, and thinks stating "the world is bad, and decisions have consequences" over and over again is highly philosophical.

New Kids Turbo. Don't google it. I watched it when we had a trash film movie night. Which was mostly enjoyable trash films, such as attack of the killer tomatoes and army of darkness, but that one.... ugh.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The most recent would be Suicide Squad. To clarify, I actually enjoyed it to some degree, but definitely not enough to say that paying for the big screen is worth it, instead of just watching it for free, on TV, a year or so after.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

The American. - is anything going to actually happen in this movie?

WallE - the only time I have ever literally fallen asleep in a theatre
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Hobbit 3
    Star Wars 7
    Rogue One

I did not want to see these movies, but my family had already assumed I wanted to come with them to see them. I knew I would hate them and I did hate them. If my family didn't had a good time, I'd be walking out of Hobbit and Rogue One pretty early.
    Last edited by Yora; 2017-04-27 at 10:58 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

"Les Miserables", the one where they did nothing but sing. It started off well with the opening scene and song, then it rapidly went downhill. I was bored to tears, almost literally. The things you put up with for your SO.

The new Ghostbusters. Bleh.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    "Les Miserables", the one where they did nothing but sing. It started off well with the opening scene and song, then it rapidly went downhill. I was bored to tears, almost literally. The things you put up with for your SO.
    Oh yeah, that adaptation sucked. Might toss that one on my list. The cinematography was terrible, eschewing what could have been some really epic French set shots for extreme close up after extreme close up, and Russell Crowe as Javert ruined a bunch of the best songs (and they seriously dumbed down confrontation, musically speaking). Didn't much like Hugh Jackman as Valjean either, though he wasn't as bad. They did Master of the House decently, I suppose. It actually kinda reminded me of Sweeney Todd in that sense. Lots of stuff was made a good amount worse, and cutting the opening song to instrumental was a travesty, but I weirdly liked how they did By the Sea, which is probably my least favorite song in that musical. I'm also still firmly convinced that I would have been better off just re-re-re-re-watching the classic video version of Into the Woods as opposed to going to the movie version. That recording is so amazing.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    The American. - is anything going to actually happen in this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ...I can still remember the plots of many others I regret seeing, but thankfully the titles are forgotten.

The American I'd mercifully forgotten.
    Now that I'm reminded that I wasted my time watching that steaming pile of film, I have a reaction similar to:

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Oh boy, a thread where you can complain? Count me in!...

Sigworthy!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Dracula Untold

Kinky Kong

Man of Steel

Knocked Up

Scott Pilgrim

That's probably all of them. I'm generally fairly discerning and don't watch movies I won't at least enjoy. These ones were mistakes. All about equally bad, too.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-04-27 at 05:48 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

There are plenty of movies I've seen and disliked, but only a very few where I wish I had spent the time doing something else.

The first to come to mind is Napoleon Dynamite, because I did this to myself recently. It looked unbearably stupid when it was out in theaters, so I didn't bother with it. A few weeks ago I decided "eh, it seems to have cult classic status, so maybe there's something good about it after all." Nope - complete waste of time. It was even dumber than I had originally thought it was.

Another film I wish I hadn't wasted my time with is Fargo. How in the heck did this get nominated for so many awards, let alone win any? Were there just no good movies at all in the year 1996? It's not funny, none of the characters are believable, and I'd have gotten more enjoyment out of staring at a blank screen for the same length of time.

At least when I watched the travesty that was Prometheus, I was on a date with a woman I was super interested in, so that helped make up for how terrible the film itself was.

14. - Top - End - #44

Prom Night and Virus. Usually Jamie Lee Curtis is in better films. With Prom Night, I can sort of understand... not so much with Virus.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Sigworthy!
    If you want to sig it, go ahead.

Finding Dory- the movie wasn't terrible, it just set the expectations incredibly high with Finding Nemo and failed to meet them.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Dumb and Dumber is the only one I truly regret watching. Of course, that's also the only one I was forced into seeing by my family. I knew I wouldn't like it, but it went below and beyond my expectations in every way whatsoever.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

17. - Top - End - #47

Most of you are not getting the idea.

I'm not talking about movies that made you go like "Hun... That was bad; I wish I haven't watched, that movie... Oh well."

But rather "OMG WTF is that? My eyes oh god my eyes!!! Why did I do that to my self?"

Get it?
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Ooh, now here's one I'd almost blotted from my mind: My Little Eye. I came out of that feeling dirty and evil, as if I'd paid money to watch a real snuff movie.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post

I'm not talking about movies that made you go like "Hun... That was bad; I wish I haven't watched, that movie... Oh well."

But rather "OMG WTF is that? My eyes oh god my eyes!!! Why did I do that to my self?"

Get it?

That's pretty much how I felt about everything on my list. So I think I get it.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfRogueGirl

Get it?
    I did. That's what I posted.

Though to be honest it's very rare that I actually watch a movie that makes me feel that way, since I tend to turn them off as soon as I can. I managed nearly ten minute of Transformers 2 before I'd had enough, turned it off, and re-watched Blackadder the Third instead.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Get it?
    Maybe you should alter the first post then?
    Have you guys ever regretted watching a movie? Like you feel you could have gone with your life without seeing those pictures?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Does "my brain!" count, instead of "my eyes!"?

Because I feel like my intelligence dropped simply by watching that movie.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-04-27 at 08:50 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #53

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Does "my brain!" count, instead of "my eyes!"?

Because I feel like my intelligence dropped simply by watching that movie.
    I feel that way when I watch the local news...
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Gummo, I don't remember a lot, but I remember there is one part where a cat is killed for no reason and a guy pimps his down syndrome afflicted sister.

This movie should not exist.
    Shamash! The true sun god!

Praise the sun! \o/

I also have a DeviantArt now... Most are drafts of my D&D campaigns but if you want to take a look.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    To be fair, they didn't have the script a third done before the writers strike put an end to development. But they went and filmed it anyway.
    That doesn't seem to me so much of an excuse, to be introduced with "to be fair", as damning it further.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The only movie I can think of that I actually regret watching is The Girl Next Door. You don't expect much from romantic comedy movies, but it was so aggressively, insulting stupid that it still sticks with me to this day as an example of 'I want that hour of my life back.'
    Oh yeah, that was pretty bad. But it's one of those films that was so unremarkably bad that I've pretty much forgotten about it, so I can't say I "regret" watching it per se. I also watched it in company, which helps, because it can make the experience enjoyable riffing on how bad the film is even if the film itself is rubbish.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow falls into the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Suicide Squad.
    Seconded.

The two films I've seen which I actively never want to watch again are Cannibal Holocaust and The Last House on the Left. Not touching them again. But they're both important films, and while they are deeply unpleasant there are elements to them that were well-made, so I'm not sure I can say I regret watching them, exactly. In fact there are relatively few films where I do.

Oddly enough I think the film which stands out most in my recollection as worthy of regret is an otherwise unremarkable one, Blue Skies. It contains one great scene, which is why I watched it, but rather than lending context to that scene the rest of the film drags it down. It's everything I hate about film musicals wrapped up in one package and it thoroughly annoyed me.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

The live action Speed Racer movie. I felt like my eyeballs and brain were being deluged with multicolored diarrhea throughout the movie. This is one of the few movies I've ever seen that left me with the impression that the director hated me personally.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

There's a couple movies that either freaked me out enough (I scare easy via scary movies) or had really risque scenes (images stuck in my head) that I wish I hadn't watched, but I don't remember the names and it was more like an intellectual "dang... I knew I'd regret it due to my emotional response" from the after-effect of watching it rather than the movie being itself mentally or visually so displeasing that I hated the experience of watching it.

I did find Avatar almost mind-numbingly boring for large parts of it, mainly since visuals generally don't appeal to me. (To be clear, I'm speaking of the space movie with the giant blue aliens.)
    I would probably have found Jumper absolutely terrible to watch, if not that I was purposefully drunk while watching it. (Lived near the dollar theater, so drank several shots then walked over.) As was, it was still pretty bad but I wasn't so bored. (By the way, the book is decent. Not great, but decent (and really different plot past what his superpower is.))

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know people like it but I really hated Se7en. It disgusted me to no end... I guess I was too young at the time and I watched without my parents' authorization.

29. - Top - End - #59

Thankskilling 3: The Search for Thankskilling 2.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    There's a couple movies that either freaked me out enough (I scare easy via scary movies) or had really risque scenes (images stuck in my head) that I wish I hadn't watched, but I don't remember the names and it was more like an intellectual "dang... I knew I'd regret it due to my emotional response" from the after-effect of watching it rather than the movie being itself mentally or visually so displeasing that I hated the experience of watching it.

I did find Avatar almost mind-numbingly boring for large parts of it, mainly since visuals generally don't appeal to me. (To be clear, I'm speaking of the space movie with the giant blue aliens.)
    I would probably have found Jumper absolutely terrible to watch, if not that I was purposefully drunk while watching it. (Lived near the dollar theater, so drank several shots then walked over.) As was, it was still pretty bad but I wasn't so bored. (By the way, the book is decent. Not great, but decent (and really different plot past what his superpower is.))

is one of those films that only really works in a cinematic context. Watching it on a big screen, in 3D, as intended, the visuals are stunning, and (for me at least) were enough to distract me from the myriad other issues with the film for the duration of its length. On television, or a small screen, it doesn't look like anything special and the rest of the film is so shaky that it doesn't really work.

I find that silent movies are often similar, in some respects. In a cinematic setting, preferably (though not necessarily) with live music, they can be arresting. At home, where there are more distractions and often the film is shown without accompanying soundtrack, they struggle to hold the attention. 2001 is another which suffers from a home viewing setting - especially as for much of its length it might as well be a silent film.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)