Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What are you reading right now?

And how is it so far?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

Played Telltale's Wolf amount us and enjoyed the style and idea of it.
    Fairy tales in the modern world but not the disney versions.
    Then found out that my brother in law had most of the graphic novels.
    Working my way through them, so far have read the first 7 books and enjoying it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan. Not the best novel, but I'm enjoying it I suppose.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Through the run of Supreme Power by Max comics, I'm at issue #18 (almost over sadly) and it's excellent so far, although there's been a bit of a lull in the last few issues.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

Sorry for any typos just forearm my wrist and am using voice to text on my phone.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

40 Signs of Rain by Kim Stanley Robinson. Not hugely far into it yet, but so far nothing has happened, and the writing's so good I don't actually care all that much.

Imaro by Charles Saunders. Think Conan, but set in fantasy Africa, and minus all the racism and most of the sexism. This kicks as much ass as it sounds like it does.

Tempting the Gods
    by Tanith Lee. A short story collection, which is excellent because everything Lee wrote is excellent. So far the standout story in the collection is After I Killed Her, which is strange and has a very unusual character arc.

Time Series Models by Andrew C. Harvey. This one's for my dissertation, and it's a real slog. Interesting, but the author tends to skip too much math in places, and notation could be better defined.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just got done with Thrawn, now I'm onto Heir of the Jedi, and the Aftermath books.

Meh on both. Thrawn, New Dawn, and Lost Stars were all way better. Though the current ones aren't nearly as bad as Lords of the Sith. I don't understand what people saw in that one.

Im trying to play catch-up on newcanon.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-05-01 at 04:51 PM.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Reading Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews. It's a fantasy novel set in post-apocalyptic Atlanta, GA. It has an interesting twist to typical urban fantasy, as there are periods of time where technology works, and periods of time when it stops and magic sets in; also it doesn't have a masquerade - the magic users are all out in the open. It's a neat juxtaposition.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Reading:

Diana Gabaldon's Written in My Own Heart's Blood (eighth in the Outlander series) I love these books. I love Diana's writing style. It's going swimmingly, though I admit she gets a bit buried in the historical battle scens and I find myself skimming them.

Lev Grossman's The Magicians I'm enjoying the book. It's gritty, but has some few similarities to Harry Potter. Very few. A young man of 17ish discovers that magic is real. But it's messy, it's complicated and his favorite fantasy world (reminiscent of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) is very much real, and nowhere near the PG pretty-land he expected.

Winston Graham's Warleggan (fourth in the Poldark book series) This is the first book I've had a little trouble where I feel as though it's dragging and not holding my attention sometimes.

Yes, three very different fantasies. Depends on my mood as to what I read.
    Last edited by tschel23; 2017-05-01 at 03:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Finished Imaro, was quite good sword and sorcery.

Went to the bookstore to hunt up a new book, picked up The Dragon's Legacy by Deborah Wolf, solely because of the probably 20 books I pulled off the shelf to read the first page, it was the only one that started with a metaphor instead of some tedious description of the main character.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

call me old fashioned but my answer would be this treat cuz we are wasting the pun here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

11. - Top - End - #11

Pirate Nations
    , a game supplement for the 7th Sea RPG.

As I have difficulty learning any rules the further they are from 1977 Dungeons & Dragons, and 1981 Call of Cthullu, it's unlikely that I will ever play the game, but I just love the fluff, very entertaining reading.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Finished the Tanith Lee collection, which was nearly uniformly excellent. Certainly my favorite collection of her work, and quite possibly my new favorite single-author short story anthology. Well, technically not finished, because I haven't finished the last story yet, but I've already read it in a different collection, and while it's a good story, it's not the strongest one in here. That's certainly After I Killed Her, which contains the single best take on a non-anthrocentric value system I've encountered in fiction.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm nearing the end of the audiobook version of Lamplighter by D.M. Cornish. Apparently the author is Australian, but the books have what feels to me like a very 18th century colonial period mixed with high fantasy feel to them. It's interesting, though the main character's extraordinarily thick-headed and gets on my nerves sometimes.

I also picked up a short story collection called Naked City because there's a Dresden Files short story in it, in which Harry investigates the Billy Goat's Curse on the Chicago Cubs (the story is a few years old now, and was published well before the Cubs actually won the World Series).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's a bit sad that the Cubs winning last year invalidates a major plotpoint in Scalzi's Human Division too...

Anyway, just started Red seas under red skies by Scott Lynch, second time reading the Gentlemen Bastards series, still good. And I'm picking up on a lot more now than when I was reading them in airports, airplanes and hotels while jet-lagged the first time. Here's hoping that the series claws it's way out of limbo and continues because I like those characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    The Internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ploughing onwards in The Dragon's Legacy, which is refreshingly dense. Lots of recourse to the dictionary in the front of the book, been a while since I found a fantasy that was invested enough in itself and not breaking flow to require that. Downside is that the writing's lost most of its metaphors and elegance, and has rather tended into a second rate A Game of Thrones pastiche, except with matriarchal desert tribes instead of Starks and Lannisters. Also the roughly Eddard equivalent character is a sorceress who eats people's hearts using dream magic. Apparently we're supposed to be on her side in a conflict about a kid with some emperor who's supposed to be a bad guy, but I don't really know the kid except that everybody thinks she's awesome and both sides seem like jerks. So it's interesting, but less good than the opening chapters had suggested.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Air Force Officer's Guide. So far so good.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    It's a bit sad that the Cubs winning last year invalidates a major plotpoint in Scalzi's Human Division too...

Anyway, just started Red seas under red skies by Scott Lynch, second time reading the Gentlemen Bastards series, still good. And I'm picking up on a lot more now than when I was reading them in airports, airplanes and hotels while jet-lagged the first time. Here's hoping that the series claws it's way out of limbo and continues because I like those characters.
    I need to continue that series one day. I was given the first book as a gift, but it was in library school when free time for pleasure reading was basically nonexistent. I was eventually able to work it into one of my classes when I did a book talk on it, but did not have time to read the sequels. By the time I was out of school I was reading other things. So by now I might need to reread the first book to refamiliarize myself with the world.

18. - Top - End - #18

Yesterday I was looking for another book when I found The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer, in my locker at work.

In have no memory of buying it! I've long had a copy of the second book in the series The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England at home (and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Regency England book), but it's odd to find it like that.

Anyway, it's pretty much what "it says on the tin", chapter one starts:

"It is the cathedral that you will see first. As you journey along the road you come to a break in the trees and there it is, massive and magnificent, cresting the hilltop in the morning sun. Despite the wooden scaffolding at the west end, the long eighty-foot-high pointed lead roof and the flying buttresses and colossal towers is simply the wonder of the region...

.....And then you will notice the smell..."
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

About half way through GRRM's "Dying of the Light", which I picked up solely because that is where the githyanki were introduced (albeit in a throwaway mention, and quite different from the D&D monsters we know and love). I took a quick break to read Diana Wynne Jones' "Mixed Magics", just because.
    DotL has some fascinating world building and does a decent job of giving characters depth and development (at least development in the sense that our understanding of them develops). We'll see if the climax is as good as the introduction.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    About half way through GRRM's "Dying of the Light", which I picked up solely because that is where the githyanki were introduced (albeit in a throwaway mention, and quite different from the D&D monsters we know and love). I took a quick break to read Diana Wynne Jones' "Mixed Magics", just because.
    DotL has some fascinating world building and does a decent job of giving characters depth and development (at least development in the sense that our understanding of them develops). We'll see if the climax is as good as the introduction.
    Ooh, you're in for a treat, so long as you don't mind some slightly over the top emotional melodrama in a couple parts. Personally I love it, for its total commitment to its own odd form of bleakness, the perfect marriage of setting and story, and a sort of Tanith Lee-ish tone, although Martin is a lot more grounded in the material and physical than the sort of dream logic that Lee did so wonderfully. Dying of the Light is my second favorite Martin novel, behind only Fevre Dream.

(If you like that novel, it's worth hunting up his early sci-fi short stories, a lot of which are really excellent. Do note that Meathouse Man is possibly the most skincrawlingly loathsome story I've ever read, but it's really good. It just makes a person want to bathe in bleach by the end.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Currently rereading Ready Player One. Just love the world building in the story. Love it.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Currently rereading Ready Player One. Just love the world building in the story. Love it.
    It's a truly wonderful book. I was less impressed with Cline's next book Armada, but it was still fun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Right now I'm in a holding pattern, rereading the Dresden Files while I wait for the final Hot War book to be released in a couple of months.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    40 Signs of Rain by Kim Stanley Robinson. Not hugely far into it yet, but so far nothing has happened, and the writing's so good I don't actually care all that much.
    I'm actually reading Robinson's "Years of Rice and Salt" currently!

I also tracked down a copy of "Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials" on eBay a few weeks ago so I've been marvelling at that too; it's a beautiful book.
    Last edited by kraftcheese; 2017-05-25 at 06:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

- If on a winter's night a traveler, Italo Calvino. One of the weirder, but also better, writing styles I've come across.
    - Arcadia, Iain Pears. A good fantasy-ish fiction book, but very heavy! Maybe I should get the kindle version...

Recently finished, and LOVED: The Map and the Territory, Michel Houellebecq. If you're going to read it, I highly recommend going in knowing nothing about the plot. But I love all of Houellebecq's books, regardless of how depressing they can get...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

A Dream of Red Mansions. I have my qualms with the translation (starting with the title being a bit non standard), but it's high time to read the last of the Four Chinese Classical Novels. Thus far I'm liking it, although still not as much as I liked Water Margin.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    There were things I LOVED about Robinson's climate trilogy and things which I detested about it. His hard-science stuff works and there are some very beautifully done dramatic scenes. On the negative side, he handwaves away quite a few political obstacles and has some cringeworthy interpersonal relationship moments.

As for me, I'm about 600 pages into Alan Moore's Jerusalem. It's the most Alan Moore thing ever, for both good and ill. Very wrapped up in a weird cosmology when you reach that point, but it's an intriguing far-reaching story involving monks, ghosts, history, gods, devils, and more. One of the craziest books I've ever read.

Aside: if someone says the words "Mad wizard" to you, is the image that forms in your head not exactly Alan Moore?

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    It's a truly wonderful book. I was less impressed with Cline's next book Armada, but it was still fun.
    This one left me a tiny bit cold. The way Cline rube-goldberged his obsessions into being THE.IMPORTANT.THING.TO.KNOW is, for me, a bit heavy-handed and transparent. It also is one of those 80s homage future-stories in which no culture seems to have happened between about 1987 and the future in which the book is written. It felt like too much of a middle-age nerd's fantasy for me to feel really engaged.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Czhorat View Post
    ...no culture seems to have happened between about 1987 and the future in which the book is written. It felt like too much of a middle-age nerd's fantasy....

So are you suggesting that there has been culture after 1987?
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury