The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

Reading Pet Cemetary for the first time. King usually isn't scary, but he is a remarkably smooth writer. He paints the characters and settings fast and deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Reading Pet Cemetary for the first time. King usually isn't scary, but he is a remarkably smooth writer. He paints the characters and settings fast and deep.
    He has some delightfully creepy ideas at times, but I agree with you on the usually not scary bit. Currently reading The Library Policeman by him in the Four Past Midnight Collection. Getting a very strong It vibe from the story so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    He has some delightfully creepy ideas at times, but I agree with you on the usually not scary bit. Currently reading The Library Policeman by him in the Four Past Midnight Collection. Getting a very strong It vibe from the story so far.
    His ideas are great, he really gets the western idea of haunted places and how we pass them on. How being alone lends a feeling of unreality to events, like we need a witness to verify our sanity.

Just finished the book. The first 3/4 are the best thing he has ever written, but as usual he flubbed the ending a bit. I suppose, like Hitchcock, it is nearly impossible to match the level of suspense in the climax. I like how he tied in Cujo and Jerusalem's Lot though.

Edit: thinking on the King novels, the issue is they are based on greek tragedy. The whole story is about the buildup to a choice by a major character. The shining is the father's choice, same with Pet Cemetary. Once the choice is made the details of how they are punished is superfluous, the process of building up to the choice is the real purpose of the novel.

Edit II: I have often wondered about the line between suspense and horror. Both are based on Greek tragedy to ab extent, you make a fatal choice. In horror the choice is made early on and the film is about the consequence of it (ie watching the tape in the Ring, going to the cabin or haunted house, etc.)

In suspense the choice is the ending or climax of the story, with the narrative being the pressures on the character to make one choice or another.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-09 at 02:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    My wife adores that series... well she adores pretty much every book that exists... but she especially enjoys Ilona Andrews, Robin McKinley, Tamara Pierce, and Jim Butcher. Iím trying to catch up on the series she enjoys, a task bards will write epics about, I assure you, in order to share that joy with her. Iíll place that one higher on the list.

Personally, Iíve had to put Dresden Files on hiatus after the tumultuous emotional roller coaster of Changes, followed up by a very frustrating experience with Ghost Story. I plan on going back to it after I finish my current endeavor.
    It's a good time for a Dresden hiatus, as Jim probably won't have a new book in that series until next year.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    It's a good time for a Dresden hiatus, as Jim probably won't have a new book in that series until next year.
    Peace Talks is at the editor now - he finished it in July according to his site. Might make it out before the end of the year.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Peace Talks is at the editor now - he finished it in July according to his site. Might make it out before the end of the year.
    Cool. Last I had heard, he still had a chapter or so to go.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-08-09 at 10:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

I've just finished Death's End, the last book in the The Three-Body Problem trilogy.

This trilogy is a must-read for Sci-Fi fans everywhere, it is positively incredible.

Book 2, the Dark Forest remains my favorite, though.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-25 at 03:00 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Now onto Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut ...first 25-30 pages are promising

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Read Tommyknockers and it was bad. There was some really interesting ideas, but having to make the Tommyknockers evil kind of ruined it. It would have been much more interesting if the Becoming was legitimately an alternative to being Human, and the conflict between becoming a hivemind or being an individual was philosophical instead of a monstrous invasion.

Having eusocial people from their own perspectives instead of just going Children of the Corn with it was cool though, made me really want a rewrite.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Most people, including Stephen King, consider Tommyknockers to be one of the worst Stephen King books.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    I mean, The Tommyknockers is an awful book. That was the last one I wrote before I cleaned up my act. And Iíve thought about it a lot lately and said to myself, ďThereís really a good book in here, underneath all the sort of spurious energy that cocaine provides, and I ought to go back.Ē The book is about 700 pages long, and Iím thinking, ďThereís probably a good 350-page novel in there.Ē

He doesn't like Dreamcatcher (which he wrote on heavy painkillers after he was hit by a van) much either, considering it to be botched.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It really is terrible. About twice as long as it needed to be, added and killed characters constantly so the pacing was broken, etc. King is best when the cast is small and the horror is intimate, Tommyknockers has a huge cast of shallow archetypes and the horror is pretty diffused. Surprisingly the ending was better then most of his stories, I totally accepted how it ended as deriving from the story.

Edit: The reason I picked TK up was it is essentially a Genestealer Cult from 40K, which seemed like a good enough reason to read it. At one point I laughed because if the ship had landed 40 miles away it would have been a war between vampires and aliens, or a different direction and it would be aliens vs. the Wendigo.

I watched Dreamcatcher as a kid but I never read it, it might be my next one.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-27 at 05:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

I watched Dreamcatcher as a kid but I never read it, it might be my next one.
    I liked TK and Dreamcatcher, but neither is really on my list of favorites. Dreamcatcher overall is decent as a book, and has some fun shoutouts to his earlier works, but I feel the movie has the better ending overall.

For some obscure(ish) King recommendations, I suggest Duma Key, one of my favorites, and Bag of Bones, one that actually creeped me out at points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of King, I read Misery for my reading challenge last weekend ("A book published in the year of your birth"). I figured King would be a good choice for that particular challenge, as you can almost find a King book from every year in recent history, since he is so productive. I figured Misery was the best choice of the three (!) novels he published in 1987, because I heard terrible things about Tommyknockers (which sound like they are true?) and I had already read The Drawing of the Three.

Quite enjoyed Misery. I knew the premise of it beforehand, but I had no idea how it ended, so it still kept me interested - and had some pretty gruesome stuff in it. But I don't have enough King experience to know how it ranks among his other works, I've mainly read The Dark Tower and a small handful of others.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Not exactly scary but i had a bad time reading Needful Things and a short story where a psychologist was something covered in mud with long claws, i can't remember the title of that one.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

I rather liked Needful Things for the way it let the complete misanthropy loose. Everyone was terrible, and the whole rotten edifice was going up in flames.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

I just finished Hoyt's Blue Skies and Blood (the Battle of the Coral Sea) and am thinking of going back to Pacific Gibraltar to try and finish it.

17. - Top - End - #767

ElfRangerGuy

I've just restarted reading Kim Harrison's Hollow's series. Quite a good series as well.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

I just read "I am missing".

Bits of it were okay. There were a couple of very silly bits:

The Empress islands cover an area half the size of Wales, but their two largest ... are, combined, only fractionally larger than the city of Cardiff.
    These are fictional islands, so why it mattered what the total area was I can't imagine, but it is very silly when you do think about it, the biggest islands are small, so there must be thousands of them.

The other major failure is the size of the cruise ship that visits. It's got eight decks and swimming pool (s?), multiple restaurants, but the population of the islands is in the hundreds and the hundred or so tourists that come ashore stay for less than a day. The ship should be more like the "Vital Spark".

Overall it's a thriller, and it mostly does that, but some of the world building is less than authorative.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #769

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I just read "I am missing".

Bits of it were okay. There were a couple of very silly bits:

The other major failure is the size of the cruise ship that visits. It's got eight decks and swimming pool (s?), multiple restaurants, but the population of the islands is in the hundreds and the hundred or so tourists that come ashore stay for less than a day. The ship should be more like the "Vital Spark".
    That's actually quite small compared to some cruise ships. And on some islands (or cities in Med cruises) the cruise ship population can easily outnumber the inhabitant population (look up what the people of Dubrovnik have to say about it).
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

20. - Top - End - #770
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    That's actually quite small compared to some cruise ships. And on some islands (or cities in Med cruises) the cruise ship population can easily outnumber the inhabitant population (look up what the people of Dubrovnik have to say about it).
    Yeah, it's a small to middle size cruise liner. It shouldn't be a cruise liner at all. If most of the passengers don't get off at a stop, and barely over a hundred is nothing like the capacity of a cruise ship, the ship shouldn't be making the stop.

The islands are basically the Falklands but not, they are that cold and damp, but they're smaller, and a lot further from South America.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-09-04 at 11:51 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

So I spent some time in North Central Iowa for work lately. Specifically in Cerro Gordo county. Since Iowa isn't the place you expect to find Spanish place names, I tried to figure out why, which led to the Mexican-American War (the county is named for a major battle there). Since I obviously don't know enough about the war to recognize one of the major battles, I got a book on it and am now about three chapters in to A Gallant Little Army by Timothy Johnson. The politicking is already excruciating.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    So I spent some time in North Central Iowa for work lately. Specifically in Cerro Gordo county. Since Iowa isn't the place you expect to find Spanish place names, I tried to figure out why, which led to the Mexican-American War (the county is named for a major battle there). Since I obviously don't know enough about the war to recognize one of the major battles, I got a book on it and am now about three chapters in to A Gallant Little Army by Timothy Johnson. The politicking is already excruciating.
    That's way more than I've ever known about the origins of Cerro Gordo county, and I've driven through it fairly frequently over the years. Never stopped though, since it's in that stretch of the state that - even by Iowa standards - seems to be a lot of flat land covered by cornfields. I'm an Iowa boy, but I'm from the hilly part.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Wings on my sleeve by Eric Brown. The WW2 years are my main interest, and they were over half the book, so that was good.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    That's way more than I've ever known about the origins of Cerro Gordo county, and I've driven through it fairly frequently over the years. Never stopped though, since it's in that stretch of the state that - even by Iowa standards - seems to be a lot of flat land covered by cornfields. I'm an Iowa boy, but I'm from the hilly part.
    Hey now, there's also the North Iowa Bulls, who must be a thing given the number of signs I've seen for them.

Clear Lake is pretty, as well.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I rather liked Needful Things for the way it let the complete misanthropy loose. Everyone was terrible, and the whole rotten edifice was going up in flames.

It was mostly Gaunt's doing though, except in some cases where they were really like that.
    But yes, overall at the end it was like that.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm about halfway through a more recent (2014) book called When Books Went To War by Molly Guptill Manning about the development of the Armed Services Editions during WWII and the impact they had (for one, it popularized The Great Gatsby and condemned decades of students to reading it). Right now I'm enmeshed in the attempts by the Taft brothers to first defund the project and later censor it into uselessness (for reasons the politics ban won't let me discuss).