Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

I am currently reading a fictional book called The Scorpio Races, which is about the people of a small island who take man-eating “water horses” out of the ocean to ride in an annual race. There are good role model characters, including Puck Connolly, a young woman who wants to ride on a land horse, and Sean Kendrick, the returning champion who is perplexed by Puck. (The book alternates POV between the two.) In my opinion, it drags a little, but I’m just only about halfway through, so don’t take my word for it. Other than that, I highly recommend it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbooks42 View Post
    Papaya101 is the god of cyborg turtles and large quantities of tropical fruit. Only turtles who have been blessed with the secrets of the Electronic Papaya even know of Papaya101's existence.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm reading Emotional Intelligence atm, because recently, I've been struggling with my own emotions, and I am very interested in this topic

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

The Death Gate Cycle reread continues. Seven 400+ page books is a lot of series, and that's not counting the appendices. And you need to read the appendices to get the coolest bits of the series fully. I'm about halfway through Into the Labyrinth, which is book 6.

One of the things that's striking me is just how utterly unusual the series is, structurally. There are major viewpoint characters who don't appear for entire books; the actual thematic core and major plot isn't really introduced until book 4 (and a bit in book 3), and there's a really remarkably small amount of action. Given that the main character is basically a demigod, and the entire series is about the aftermath of what amounts to a philosophy argument that went really, really hot, it's quite remarkable how much the dominant state of the characters is running away, some form of helplessness, or other non-heroic sorts of thing.

So far I'd say the four worlds bit was starting to drag a bit by book 4 (even though the water world is one of my favorites), but book 5 benefited substantially from revisiting the plot and characters of a previous world, albeit seen in a much wider light. Book 6 is really good; the freedom to move between the worlds means that the action can ramp up on multiple fronts, the main plot is really kicking off, and having seen the parts, there's a lot of fun to be had in figuring out how they fit together.

(Also the most annoying character in the series is, finally, dead. It was supposed to be tragic and all, but the sucker was so obnoxious, and the other major player such a wet blanket, it was mostly just a relief.)
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Been reading through the Legends-Era starwars novels again. I'm on the second x-wing novel, Wedge's Gambit.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

I just finished reading the Hunger Games series for the second time. It might have been meant for teenagers, but it is well written for an adult to enjoy. It's a good sign when you can read a book more than once and still be entertained.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, where the DCs are made up and the rules don't matter."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm currently re-reading the Game of Thrones books. I've read them a while ago, but I want to read them again before I start watching the series.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

I've been reading King of Elfland'Daughter.. Or rather trying to read. I've just having a really hard time with it. I mean, it's not half as bad as I expected, considering it's age. It's just also somehow not very engaging, despite its shortness. But considering it's importance in the genre, I felt like I should read it anyway..
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Just finished The Handmaids Tale. Most of the book was pretty good, but the ending was amazing. Easily one of the best endings I've ever read.
    Cuthalion's avatars rock. Like this very fine dragon he made me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Heck, I’m pretty sure I’d listen to any content [Ruck] and Peelee could produce.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I've been reading King of Elfland'Daughter.. Or rather trying to read. I've just having a really hard time with it. I mean, it's not half as bad as I expected, considering it's age. It's just also somehow not very engaging, despite its shortness. But considering it's importance in the genre, I felt like I should read it anyway..

The King of Elfland's Daughter has it's charms, but I recommend Lord Dunsany's The Charwomen's Shadow as a more engaging novel by the same author.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #460

Still slogging through Illuminatus, but I'm nearly at the end of Leviathan!

I'm really not seeing how this was ever staged, so I think the only solution is to see if I can find can a production anywhere. Fnord.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm rereading the main Malazan: Book of the Fallen books.

It's less confusing the second time 'round, and makes more sense, but it's still kind of confusing. I'm heartily enjoying it and will probably reread it multiple times.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    I'm rereading the main Malazan: Book of the Fallen books.

It's less confusing the second time 'round, and makes more sense, but it's still kind of confusing. I'm heartily enjoying it and will probably reread it multiple times.
    Oh, I'm reading them too! Though for the first time for me. Still in the first book, Gardens of the Moon.

Enjoying it a lot, but it's definitely not an 'easy' read. This is probably the first time I'm really happy there is a 'Dramatis Personae' in the beginning. (Usually I dislike those, because they often spoil things about the plot, but here it really comes in handy!)
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Tournament Chaos and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

I have a DeviantArt account, yay...

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded, many thanks!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello dear, i am reading Sunday magazines regarding health and lifestyle related.

I clear all the doubts for healthy lifestyle and think about self.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure I want to read the Maze Runner series having seen the movies. I liked the first one. I like those types of mysteries. However, when the second movie revealed it to be a zombie apocalypse, been there, done that. Seeing the third movie was just for completeness. I read and enjoyed World War Z. It's not because of the zombie apocalypse but the bait and switch. It's a different theme from the original premise that doesn't correlate with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, where the DCs are made up and the rules don't matter."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Recently finished the latest "Alex Verus" book ("Marked", book 9)

For those who do not know the series, it's basically an urban fantasy where the main lead is a diviner.

My first impression of the series wasn't that great, at first I thought it's yet another Dresden Files clone.
    But around the third of the first book, the story got its own personality, making it a unique experience.

A diviner/seer is not an easy thing to write a story about and there is a reason while wizards like this are usually the support characters in the story, but the author created a stable set of magic rules, providing both the uses and the limitations of this type of magic, and keeping it consistent through all the series.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Recently finished the latest "Alex Verus" book ("Marked", book 9)

For those who do not know the series, it's basically an urban fantasy where the main lead is a diviner.

My first impression of the series wasn't that great, at first I thought it's yet another Dresden Files clone.
    But around the third of the first book, the story got its own personality, making it a unique experience.

A diviner/seer is not an easy thing to write a story about and there is a reason while wizards like this are usually the support characters in the story, but the author created a stable set of magic rules, providing both the uses and the limitations of this type of magic, and keeping it consistent through all the series.
    The author of the Verus books is/was a poster here on GITP, in fact - I remember when they were community-polling for opinions on how to name the series. Not sure if they're still around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

Saph drops by occasionally.

18. - Top - End - #468

Just started The Darkness that Comes Before, it is at the same time nothing I haven't seen before and something entirely new. I like the idea that there's a section of the world terrified that the mythical disaster will happen again, while the rest of the world carries on as normal, and I'm enjoying the story, but at the same time I can see all the rough archetypes being used up to this point.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-10-17 at 03:35 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Working my way through Tanith Lee's "Metallic Love" a sequel to "Silver Metal Lover", which I haven't read.
    It stands on its own, at least so far, despite lots of references and quotes from the first.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Stayed up a bit too late the other night finishing The Seventh Gate, the seventh (who would have guessed?) and final novel of the Death Gate Cycle. Overall I think the entire thing holds up really well; it did a good job of letting its themes build throughout the series, so it could just hammer on them at the end. This was a bit heavy handed at times in the last two books (nobody has ever accused Weis & Hickman of excessive subtlety), but because of the huge amount of legwork the first four or five books did, it was an earned heavy-handedness.

Now it's on to Jeff Vandemeer's Annihilation. The first forty pages are distinctly odd, and remind me more than passingly of Roadside Picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Working my way through Tanith Lee's "Metallic Love" a sequel to "Silver Metal Lover", which I haven't read.
    It stands on its own, at least so far, despite lots of references and quotes from the first.
    Metallic Love is great, although I suspect it's substantially improved by having read The Silver Metal Lover (also quite good). The things that Lee does with the first book being a text in the second, and then subverting the hell out of it, are pretty brilliant. I've been looking forwards to a reread of the duology for like two years now.

The end of Metallic Love gets majorly weird. Shocking, for a Lee novel.

Darnit, now I want to go buy another parcel of Tanith Lee novels. Mind, I sort of always want to do that...

21. - Top - End - #471
    Colossus in the Playground

I assume that is the original source for the movie Annihilation? Which I think I'm the only person I know who kinda liked it, even if a lot of it was really bad?
    And if you gaze long into an abyss, sometimes the abyss blushes and looks away.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

I just finished the Southern Reach trilogy. No idea there was a movie (it's been ages since I went to a theater without my kid in tow), but yes, apparently it's the source material.

Definitely a weird series, written from a variety of character perspectives. It did get a bit hard to keep track of which characters were who, and who was narrating, particularly as I got into the third book.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I just finished reading the Hunger Games series for the second time. It might have been meant for teenagers, but it is well written for an adult to enjoy. It's a good sign when you can read a book more than once and still be entertained.
    So are they better than the movie? Worth reading? I don't see how a book based on those movies would be worth reading, but since it's the other way around ...
    So you'll insert the horse into the Large Hadron Collider next?
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Reading: Some pony fan fic.

And, Re-reading "The Mote in God's Eye". Years later. It's amazing how much was foreshadowed quietly, with no real "draw attention to it" at all, that only shows on a later re-read. Key example was how quickly the Mote's turned a communication laser onto their ship to try to talk to them and establish that they were intelligent, as well as how long that communication laser was on them, as well as
    Spoiler
    Show
    the fact that it completely blinded them to everything else in the solar system until the Mote's were ready to turn it off and only let the humans see what the Mote's agreed to let the humans see.
    So you'll insert the horse into the Large Hadron Collider next?
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #475

I'm on page 304 (the end of chapter 20) of The Mortal Word

by Genevieve Cogman which is #5 in The Invisible Library series, a series the books of which I've
    Spoiler: posted about before
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'm on page 324 of

The Lost Plot

by Genevieve Cogman which is #4 in The Invisible Library series, a series the books of which I've
    Spoiler: posted about before
    Show
    I'm on page 200 of The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman, which I'm finding very page-turning.

Some hints of Doctor Who, Poul Anderson's struggle of Law vs. Chaos, the old "Avengers" TV show (with both the Emma Peel and John Steed type characters gender reversed), various literary "Easter eggs", and a lot of hints of the old gaslamp fantasy/steampunk Castle Falkenstein RPG (since the author's bio says "previously worked as a freelance role-playing game writer", and a mention is made of "I see little reason why the Iron Brotherhood would be interested in book of fairy tales. They tend more towards technological paradigms. Now, has it been one of the lost notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci....", I'm sure that deliberate).

Realistic and gritty?

Hardly.

Over the top?

Wonderfully so!

Just amazingly geared to "push my buttons", and get me to keep reading.

Recommended if you like this sort of thing (and I do).
    Just started Chapter 13 of The Burning Page, the third novel in the series after The Invisible Library, and
    The Masked City.

The main off-notes are occasional "re-caps", which are there to fill in some details for those who hadn't read the earlier two books.

I like it!

#3 in the series (The Burning Page) seemed to end on such a note of finality, that I really didn't expect this book, but It's been a fun read and a "page turner".

It starts (briefly) in a gaslamp fantasy/steampunk-ish England with Vampires and Zeppelins, before moving to an "alternate world" of the U.S.A. during prohibition with Mobsters, scheming Dragons, and one of the "Fair Folk".

Lots of daring escapes and action.

Flaws?

Well, as with the other books in the series, the lead protaganist may be a "Mary Sue", but I find her exploits much more fun to read about than the infinity of "Gary Stu's" in fiction.

Another flaw is that an encounter with a character starts the heroes on the trail, and the heroes discuss the clues they had been told, a few pages earlier, except they weren't!

Still fun and recommended.
    , and if I had known that it would be a five book (and counting!) series I likely wouldn't have picked up the first book in the series, but I'm glad I did as it's still a "page-turner".

So like the others there's Dragons, Fae, Librarians, a Sherlock Holmes-ish character (not the lead POV one though), but unlike the others this book mostly takes place in "Belle Époque" Paris.

Still fun and still recommended.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King, the 3rd collection of short stories based mostly in Castle Rock. Much as I like the man's novels, his short stories are very hit or miss, tending towards the bizzare and/or senselessly graphic.

Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds, a side story in the Revelation Space universe. Has a bit of a detective noir feel to it, which is neat in a rather hard Sci-fi story. As this is the 6th novel of his I'm reading, I'm starting to notice some formulaic trends Reynolds likes to use in his writing, while not awful, do tend towards being predictable. Particularly the whole following a past and present timeline simultaneously and the trajectory those usually follow. Still enjoying it overall, but repetitive plot devices get samey.

Doctor Who: The Roundheads by Mark Gatiss, follows The Doctor getting involved with the political mess after the English Civil War. Well written, and wonderfully convoluted with all the political scheming and whatnot, but comes across rather dryly at times. Part of that could be the last several Doctor Who books I've read where about The 4th Doctor, and those were very colorful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Got a lot of reading done recently.

Finished up 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. As seems to often be the case with KSR novels, the themes and setting completely overwhelm the plot, to the point where I'm honestly not sure why he bothered to have one. However the theme and setting are so strong I also didn't care all that much, insofar as he manages to detail a reasonably plausible future that somehow manages to combine being a post-apocalypse with a surprising amount of optimism. It seems about twice as good as any future I think we're likely to get, but is still within the set of not totally crazy futures, and hence something like actual cause for optimism. Still not as good as Red Mars, or Aurora, the only KSR novel I've read that combined his usual rigorous moral argument with, you know, plot.

For reasons I cannot fully explain, I now buy any Dragonlance novel I come across in used book stores. While this has sometimes regrettable outcomes, the last one I read through was the short story collection The Dragons of Krynn, which was generally solid. There were a couple sorta duds (one in particular was basically the Tanith Lee story After I Killed Her, but inferior in literally every way*) and another really squandered the potential of a kender getting turned into a dragon, but quite a few of the others were good. Margaret Weiss' The Best was a fun little romp with a twist that hit at exactly the right moment, The First Dragonarmy Bridging Company was a commander Kang story, and those are always worthwhile.

Ploughed through The Immortals and Winter of the Gods by Jordanna Max Brodksy. These were just fine, although if I gave you the description 'the heroine is Artemis, who for some reason lives in present-day Manhattan. Various Greek god related murder mysteries ensue', I strongly suspect that the first thing that popped into your mind would be, basically, these books. One of those odd cases where something appears entirely predictable (even the amount of unpredictability is predictable) despite never having encountered something particularly like it before. I'll probably pick up book three of the inevitable trilogy at the library.

Read Mira Grant's Into the Drowning Deep in approximately 48 hours, because it was Thanksgiving break and I was bored. This is basically a slightly less tech-obsessed Michael Creighton novel about deep-sea fish people eating regular surface people. Take Congo, replace apes with fish people, and greed with reality TV (so greed), and you have this book. So far as I could figure, the primary driver of fish person aggression was loss of food to humans, so fish people substituting people for fish struck me as entirely sensible, and I refused to root for any of the humans. Inevitably of course, some of them survived because optimism and the human spirit and sequels, and if you can't guess which of them survive within exactly two paragraphs of their introduction, I've got some prime swamp you may be interested in bidding on.

*To be fair, After I Killed Her is a strong contender for my favorite short story of all time, so coming up short isn't exactly a shocker.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

"The Best" is actually a reprint. The original was in one of the DRAGON anniversary issues (#200, I think), which is probably why it's a trifle generic.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

I read Charlie Stross' "The Labyrinth Index", book 9 of the Laundry files, on Wednesday. Quite good. The stakes are higher than they were in the preceding book, even if the book itself was not quite as good. It's fun to see how the New Management is running things.
    Now about half way through his "Dark State". Also good.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Pixie in the Playground

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind