Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

Jumping between Heinlein's "Number of the Beast" and Dostoyevsky's Gambler...
    The former is fun enough while Heinlein certainly shows his weirder site not rarely... I mean, open love is fun and all but... damn, girl, don't say such things about your father.
    Gambler is... a hassle but not as much as I was afraid it would be.

"The Gene" is lying around waiting to be continued. It's nothing bad about it, it's decent pop science I just got distracted.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the car, I'm relistening to the Dresden files (I have a long drive every day for work). Eagerly awaiting Peace Talks....

at home for relaxing, I'm reading the game of thrones series and just finished the first book.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Just started on Karel Capek's "War with the Newts" after finishing his R.U.R., which was something of a disappointment, but worthy reading if only for its historical importance.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trying to combine learning spanish with reading a good book. I'm reading el capitan Alatriste in the original spanish (but with a translated version next to it). It's slow progress, but you know what they say: when going gets slow, the slow...wait...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Just started on Karel Capek's "War with the Newts" after finishing his R.U.R., which was something of a disappointment, but worthy reading if only for its historical importance.
    Rossums Universal Robots was a play wasn't it? Are you reading the script?
    Tales from the Trashcan

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kraftcheese View Post
    Rossums Universal Robots was a play wasn't it? Are you reading the script?
    Correct. I know all about how plays are meant to be performed, not read, but it was still a disappointment.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by tielemans View Post
    'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury
    My teachers wouldn't let us read that one.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just started Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan. Only a few chapters in, but I'm really liking it so far. Haven't read a decent cyberpunk novel for a while.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My teachers wouldn't let us read that one.
    Wow. It was required reading for us, in 10th grade or so (depending on whether you were in IB, AP, or general classes). It's also among the worse books we read, although it's still miles ahead of Anthem.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Wow. It was required reading for us, in 10th grade or so (depending on whether you were in IB, AP, or general classes). It's also among the worse books we read, although it's still miles ahead of Anthem.
    I'll admit, I may have been a bit too subtle there.

It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with jokes is that if the situation is believable or even probable in some cases, it loses any obvious humor.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

It also legitimately shows up on banned books lists every so often.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #43

It also legitimately shows up on banned books lists every so often.
    Wait, really? And the irony is lost on the people who ban it?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

There's a certain level of ignorance that goes into it (mostly in terms of not expecting the inevitable blow back from the optics being that bad), but I suspect it's more that people fundamentally disagree with the anti-censorship message and thus think no more of banning it than they do of anything else.

-- ChubbyRain

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Thereís no irony; thatís perfectly consistent. Somebody who believes in banning books because they donít approve of the bookís message should be expected to ban a book about the evils of book-burning.

Irony would be somebody who approved of Fahrenheit 451 nonetheless banning other books.

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGuy

There's a certain level of ignorance that goes into it (mostly in terms of not expecting the inevitable blow back from the optics being that bad), but I suspect it's more that people fundamentally disagree with the anti-censorship message and thus think no more of banning it than they do of anything else.
    It was censored for several years for use in schools. Most outright banning happened after the censorship was removed due to the "vulgarity" and adult language. I think it has been banned for it's portrayal of Christians & scenes with Bible burning in a few areas in the South.

Anyway

I'm reading Secondhand Souls, the sequel to A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. It's pretty disappointing so far, but I really liked it's predecessor.
    Live in Fear, Die Often: Dak
    Boss Fight!: Rolf

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

1. Re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo on my phone, whenever stuck without a book. Always excellent. This time through, Iím noticing more connections between minor characters.
    2. Re-reading The Lord of the Rings as my current carry-around book. Itís as excellent as it always is.
    3. The Four Musketeers: The True Story of DíArtagnan, Porthos, Aramis, and Athos. Very interesting finding out about who they really were. (And no, they werenít friends. They mostly werenít even musketeers at the same time.)
    4. The Road to Infinity, a book of science essays by Isaac Asimov. His explanations are always lucid and complete (up to the date of publication).

18. - Top - End - #48

NinjaGuy

I just finished Binti, by Nnedi Okorafor, which was very different then what I was expecting, in a good way.

Starting The Belly of the Bow, by KJ Parker. I love all of his books, because in addition to each of his characters normal development, there's an interesting drilldown into a specific trade or craft. For the scavenger Trilogy, it was Blacksmithing; for the first in this series, Colours in the Steel, was dedicated to swordsmanship.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm about a third of the way through Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. It's not as smooth as some other Discworld stuff I've read, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
    What is wrong with your *face*?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

For one thing, it's not always safe to assume that the people who call for a book to be banned have actually read the book in question. For many people, it's enough to hear that the book talks about sex, or contains magic/could possibly be construed as Satanist, or has swear words in it, and they're ready to call for a book to be removed.

Beyond that, as Jay R mentioned, wanting to ban a book on the evils of book burning does make sense for someone who believes in banning or burning books.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    1. Re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo on my phone, whenever stuck without a book. Always excellent. This time through, Iím noticing more connections between minor characters.
    2. Re-reading The Lord of the Rings as my current carry-around book. Itís as excellent as it always is.
    3. The Four Musketeers: The True Story of DíArtagnan, Porthos, Aramis, and Athos. Very interesting finding out about who they really were. (And no, they werenít friends. They mostly werenít even musketeers at the same time.)
    4. The Road to Infinity, a book of science essays by Isaac Asimov. His explanations are always lucid and complete (up to the date of publication).
    As a child I had an Illustrated Classics or some such version of The Count of Monte Cristo that I loved very much. When I read the real thing as an adult, I had issues with the pacing. It seemed to me like all the exciting parts about Edmond's imprisonment, tutoring by Faria, escape and finding of the treasure, all happen extremely quickly. Then the next bit, where the Count arrives in Rome, begins laying the groundwork for his revenge, and attends countless social functions, seemed to last forever, to the point where I put down the book and haven't gotten back to it after several years. Could you tell me when the pace starts to pick up again?

The Lord of the Rings is at the top of my "must reread when I get the chance" pile, but I've gotten shamefully bad at finding time to actually read lately, and rely heavily on audiobooks to get any reading at all done.

The others you listed sound really cool as well!
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2017-06-10 at 11:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    For one thing, it's not always safe to assume that the people who call for a book to be banned have actually read the book in question. For many people, it's enough to hear that the book talks about sex, or contains magic/could possibly be construed as Satanist, or has swear words in it, and they're ready to call for a book to be removed.
    I would argue against this for books well-known enough that the content or message can be reasonably assumed to be known without having read.
    Beyond that, as Jay R mentioned, wanting to ban a book on the evils of book burning does make sense for someone who believes in banning or burning books.
    I would not argue against that, because it's a good point that I didn't think about while cracking that joke.
    As a child I had an Illustrated Classics or some such version of The Count of Monte Cristo that I loved very much.
    Is that the one what had every other page a black and white picture, with a simplified and abridged version of the book on the other side of the page? I loved those things.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently wrapping up my re-read of Worm (down to Epilogue 5, so only 2 chapters left) in anticipation of Worm 2 starting Soonô. Once that's done I'm torn between blitzing the rest of Twig up to the current (that one is better binged IMO, Sy's plans are more fun to read in their entirety as they unfold) or finally reading The Aeronaut's Windlass.
    Spoiler: Play by Post
    Show

Sinner and Innocent OOC IC

Carrion Crown: OOC IC

Skull and Shackles: OOC

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I would argue against this for books well-known enough that the content or message can be reasonably assumed to be known without having read.

I would not argue against that, because it's a good point that I didn't think about while cracking that joke.
    I mean yeah, sometimes the assumptions about a book are correct, or its reputation is accurate. My point is merely that a lot of people don't feel the need to actually read a book before demanding its removal.

Is that the one what had every other page a black and white picture, with a simplified and abridged version of the book on the other side of the page? I loved those things.
    Yep, that was the one! I had a bunch of those.

24. - Top - End - #54

Yep, that was the one! I had a bunch of those.
    Count of Monte Cristo was my favorite (probably because the story is so badass, even in child-friendly form), but I rememebr having a bunch Only other one I can remember was The Man in the Iron Mask.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

About half way through "The 2nd Fontana book of great ghost stories", some good stuff, some not so good stuff.
    "War with the Newts" was a mixed bag, On the one hand the humor and satire was good, on the other hand it was a royal mess of mini storylines and info dumps and jumps in focus and events, with anything resembling a war only in the last 20-30 pages.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Count of Monte Cristo was my favorite (probably because the story is so badass, even in child-friendly form), but I rememebr having a bunch Only other one I can remember was The Man in the Iron Mask.
    I had The Man in the Iron Mask too, as well as a couple of Sherlock Holmes ones. One was I think The Hound of the Baskervilles, another was a collection of three or four of the shorter stories including "The Red-Headed League" and the one whose name I forget where Holmes deduces that the victim was killed by dropping a venomous snake through an air vent onto their bed. I think I also had Around the World in Eighty Days and a few others. Good stuff, I kinda wish I still had them.

27. - Top - End - #57

I had The Man in the Iron Mask too, as well as a couple of Sherlock Holmes ones. One was I think The Hound of the Baskervilles, another was a collection of three or four of the shorter stories including "The Red-Headed League" and the one whose name I forget where Holmes deduces that the victim was killed by dropping a venomous snake through an air vent onto their bed. I think I also had Around the World in Eighty Days and a few others. Good stuff, I kinda wish I still had them.
    YES! I had at least one Sherlock Holmes, you just sparked the memory. The Speckled Band was the other story you're thinking of, with the gypsies on the lawn and the saucer of milk in the safe. Funny thing is, soon as you said Holmes, that one and the Red-Headed League were the only two that sprang to mind. Either the other one(s) were more forgettable, or it was only a collection of two.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-06-16 at 05:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Dragonriders of Pern, which is good.

Just started Stand in the Trench, Achilles, a book examining the use of classics in British poetry written during the Great War. It's somewhat heavy going, but is marvelous both in the writing and the depth of knowledge that underpins it.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

29. - Top - End - #59

The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson. It's pretty great. Also Pride and Prejudice, for school, on which I am carefully staying neutral.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson. It's pretty great. Also Pride and Prejudice, for school, on which I am carefully staying neutral.
    The key to appreciating Pride and Prejudice is realizing that it is dripping with sarcasm and that Jane Austen held large parts of her society's culture in open contempt.

-- ChubbyRain