Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What are you reading right now?

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Near the end of "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells.

It's short and well with reading.

It's been decades since I last read it, and this time, I'm struck by little the language has changed in the 122 years since it was first published.

I'm also thinking of items to steal for a role-playing adventure.
    The thing that annoys me about that book is that I can't remember if I've read it, or if I've just read the opening. Wells is a good author though, I adore The War of the Worlds (which hilariously has realistic lasers before they were invented), despite being a child of modern science fiction.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

I just finished Parable of the Talent, and highly recommend it. Octavia Butler's work is consistently excellent, and the Parable series is probably the best of it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What I am reading right now?
    That's gonna be a long list*...

1. Skullduggery Pleasant Resurrection by Derek Landy (tenth book of the series, awesome so far)

2. Des Teufels Gebetbuch by Markus Heitz
    (quite interesting so far, although I'm not sure where it is going yet)

3. Die Phileasson-Saga Die Wölfin by Berhard Hennen and Robert Corvus
    (third book of the series, based on a The Dark Eye campaign, really good)

4. Twig by wildbow (webserial, biopunk, amazing, nightmare-food)

5. Itachi, Is That A Baby? (Naruto/Harry Potter crossover, Harry is raised by Itachi and Akatsuki, bloody hilarious)

*Okay, not that long. Only five items.
    Still, it has been a while since I read that much stuff at the same time.
    (Not counting webcomics. If I started listing those too the list would be much longer.)
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-08-27 at 04:45 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Crimea: The Last Crusade by Orlando Figes. A non-fiction book about the Crimean War 1853-1856. As weird as it may sound I like non-fiction more than fiction, but that may be just me. Anyway, I was meaning to read about this almost-forgotten war for some time. The Crimean War was to the 19th century what WW1 and WW2 were to the 20th century and yet not many people know about this war (at least not among my friends and family).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    The thing that annoys me about that book is that I can't remember if I've read it, or if I've just read the opening.
    This is easily fixed, by reading it. The worst case scenario is that you read an excellent book again, when you do not remember it well enough to know if you have already read it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking).

Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    This is easily fixed, by reading it. The worst case scenario is that you read an excellent book again, when you do not remember it well enough to know if you have already read it.
    Excellent? Really? I mean, it has aged decently considering how old it is and reading it I liked it well enough but I certainly don't feel the need to read it again, or even tell someone to read it, nowadays.

Just finished reading "Wunden unserer Brüder" I got as a gift. Decent enough story about a man in Algeria during their.. Liberation war, I guess. Nothing to special but I got through it well enough considering it's absolutely not my usual cup of tea.

Picked up "how to live safely in a fictional universe" after it collecting dust for months. I remember why I put it down. But I guess I'll finish it this time.

Number of the beast.. I don't think I will try to finish. Too much book left. Too little motivation.
    Last edited by Kato; 2017-08-30 at 05:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Just finished reading "Wunden unserer Brüder" I got as a gift.
    Meanwhile, I can barely get a page into Asterix and Obelix.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-30 at 08:46 AM.

It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"
    Actually im saying all of them are trans, even if theyve made babies or not. Its fantasy, baby!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What are you reading right now?h

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Picked up "how to live safely in a fictional universe" after it collecting dust for months. I remember why I put it down. But I guess I'll finish it this time.
    I read that last year, I think. I remember being mostly disappointed and a little confused.

Anyway, I finally got around to finishing Scott Pilgrim (it was amazing) and I'm still trying to finish off The Dying Earth before the library starts sending me angry voice mails.

Also reading To the Lighthouse for school and not liking it at all.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

So are you suggesting that there has been culture after 1987?
    Well, we did get Order of the Stick...

Anyway, the book I'm working on right now is Pursuit of the Seawolf by Adm William Mack, a novel that deals with the Battle of the Atlantic in WWII. I'm finding I occasionally wish I'd reread South to Java first so I was a little more familiar with some of the things they mention in passing. I'll probably go to one of the other Destroyermen books next, maybe Straights of Messina.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently working on The Gentleman by Forrest Leo. I'm still quite early in the book, but so far it's amusing.

It's about a poet in Victorian London named Lionel Savage. He's fairly well known and totally full of himself (played for humor). When his butler informs him that he's gone broke, he decides to marry a rich woman. Predictably, this leads to an unhappy marriage, and to make things worse Lionel loses his muse and can't seem to write poetry any longer. Lionel begins contemplating suicide to escape his terrible fate, until one night at a dinner party he meets the Devil (the "Gentleman" for whom the title is named), befriends him, and then accidentally sells his wife to the devil. Afterward, he decides that he does love his wife after all, and sets about trying to reclaim her.

It's definitely written in a humorous style, with the butler's dry humor contrasting the immature and emotional main character. Also, it's written as if Lionel has written the story himself to be published, and there are footnotes by the editor (a cousin of his wife, I believe), who often comments or corrects Lionel's claims. If you've read any of the Bartimaeus novels by Jonathan Stroud, the footnotes are used in much the same way.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I am reading Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique stories now. I don't really like them much. At least much less than the Hyperborea ones. I've always seen Empire of the Necromancers greatly hyped and found it really disappointing.
    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery in the eldritch wilds

Beggar's Canyon - A New Home for 90's Star Wars

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
    What do you make of it?

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    What do you make of it?
    So far I really like it.
    Spoiler: Just in case people doing the Darths and Droids challenge are checking out this thread
    Show
    It's giving Galen and Lyra Orso actual characterization, and it's fleshing out Krennic a lot. He's still somewhat unscrupulous and the kind of person who one would expect to be part of the Empire, but much less so. I expect that he'll grow into the character we see in the movie, and I'm pretty excited to see the journey. He's also much more interesting than Galen at the moment, but I really like how they're making Galen a militant pacifist, for lack of a better term.

All in all, it's fitting in pretty well with most of the rest of the newcanon books so far. Not great, but solidly good. The only stinker I've read so far was Aftermath, and I'm not looking forward to reading the two sequels (though I've heard that the first is the worst, so I am at least happy that they won't be as bad). Best was still the YA book Lost Stars, which is damned impressive since it's basically
    Spoiler: Imean, not really spoiler, since you can get the same idea from the back cover writeup. But just in case.
    Show
    Romeo and Juliet in Star Wars. Doubly so given my hatred for Romeo and Juliet.

15. - Top - End - #135

The last Star Wars book I read was the TFA novelization, because I had vague memories of being told it was good. I stopped reading when I realized it was going to be exactly the same as the movie, but with more whiny third person narration.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I found it to be one of the stronger newcanons. Haven't read Lost Stars
    , although Bloodlines was decent.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Yeah, I found it to be one of the stronger newcanons. Haven't read Lost Stars
    , although Bloodlines was decent.
    It's a SW book not about Jedi at all, just two people in that universe having their own story. And the differing points of view are also really well done. It really humanized people who fight for the Empire, and I felt more empathy for the female lead than the male (I do feel really bad for not remembering their names. I swear, that's not indicative of the book being forgettable). I highly recommend it.

Also, 77% of its Amazon reviews are 5 star. Better than I think any other canon book. Just sayin'.

18. - Top - End - #138

I'm about to start “How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe”, I don't know anything about it, just saw the title and found it funny, anyone has any comment on it? Have read or heard of it?
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    ."Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

I read How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe a few years ago. I don't remember a ton about it, but I do remember it was pretty good. However, it wasn't what I expected when I first picked it up (nor what you expect given your post). It isn't a particularly funny book as I recall, but did have some humor. It was a much more literary book than I first would have guessed, contemplating the lines between literature and reality.

20. - Top - End - #140

I'm getting towards the end of "how to survive..." I'm still not sure whether or not I like it. It definitely is not what the title suggests and not funny in the.. Well, funny way I expected.
    As was said, it's far more literary than "entertaining" and far less plot driven than character study and.. a story of a failing middle class family.
    I don't know what the marketing was thinking with the title.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

My boss is a big James Patterson fan and so talked me into trying one of his. At more-or-less random I grabbed 'Cross Justice'.
    It was entertaining and moved along at a cracking pace even if the characters were very sketchily drawn but I enjoyed it until the end when it took a nose dive into ridiculous sentimentality and melodrama to stuff a happy ending down your throat
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

Living With Evil - Cynthia Owen. very disturbing but inspiring

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I've currently got two that I'm trying to get into, but neither one has really grabbed me yet.

I'm just a few pages into Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. It seems to be a fantasy western, and I like that in theory, but the first couple pages haven't quite grabbed me yet.

I've also started the audiobook of Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce. I've finished the first disc (so I'm about 1/8 of the way through), and it just feels like nothing is really happening yet. The characters don't seem that interesting and the plot isn't going anywhere yet.

I'm not ready to give up on either one yet, but I'm not really feeling them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    My boss is a big James Patterson fan and so talked me into trying one of his. At more-or-less random I grabbed 'Cross Justice'.
    It was entertaining and moved along at a cracking pace even if the characters were very sketchily drawn but I enjoyed it until the end when it took a nose dive into ridiculous sentimentality and melodrama to stuff a happy ending down your throat
    The good news is that if you don't like some things about the particular James Patterson book you've just finished, you can either find one written by one of his other collaborators, or wait a couple weeks til whatever his next book is comes out.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Because I finally finished my science fiction I'm reading a book a friend got me as a present, The Outsider by Albert Camus, translation by Sandra Smith. It's really good, only five chapters in and I can tell our main character is some form of emotionally repressed/emotionally dull/terminally disinterested, and it's interesting.

I also find it reads like a memory, with a lot of the details missing and only the prominent ones and broad strokes remaining. It's very interesting.

While I know it's also known as The Stranger, the title's been translated as 'The Outsider' here as the translator thought it encompassed the multiple meanings of L'Etranger better.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Finished Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death. The story feels as sparse as the post-apocalyptic desert it's set in, and the rich imagery and the protagonist's magnificent rage aren't quite enough to fill in the gaps. It's like a 200-page book has been stretched out to mandatory published-novel length. Covers some brutal topics (FGM, weaponized rape)--reader discretion advised.

Just starting Hull Zero Three now, by Greg Bear. So far the protagonist is extremely confused, and so am I, but at least it's well-written.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2017-09-08 at 03:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Ignoring the books that I'm constantly rereading just for something to do (I've reread LotR and the Silmarillion so many times I lost count years ago), I've got a few books.

Most prominent is that I'm reading The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. I thought I knew what a mind screw was until I started reading this series. I'm glad I'm reading it, though. It's pushing me to devote more attention to the details of a novel rather than the broad strokes - small details will recur later, at high impact, and the POV character has an odd perspective that rewards going back and looking at things in hindsight. I'd highly recommend it. I got up to about a 10th of the way into the third book, at which point I realised I had to go back and start again to be able to pay attention to the details so that I'm not missing things. Well, so that I'm missing fewer things.

I'm also reading some books about running and general fitness. I want to get into shape, and it's a hard journey, but reading these books (both about the system of probably the most successful running coach of the 20th century, Arthur Lydiard) is good for motivation. Lydiard's book, Running To The Top gives me a good look into his perspective and the reasoning behind the choices in his program, while Keith Livingstone's Healthy Intelligent Training is a more up-to-date take, and which goes into the details of the cardiovascular system and the body's energy systems, as well as providing at least something of a template for a program.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I'm about halfway through Clark Ashton Smith's Zotique stories. I like his Hyperborea stories, but Zothique stories all have no plot and no characters. It's all just description of a blank cardboard cutout encountering something weird, watching on while not doing anything, and then everyone is dead. This description applies to every single of the stories I've read, even the somewhat famous Empire of the Necromancers and The Charnel God.
    Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery in the eldritch wilds

Beggar's Canyon - A New Home for 90's Star Wars

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Most prominent is that I'm reading The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. I thought I knew what a mind screw was until I started reading this series. I'm glad I'm reading it, though. It's pushing me to devote more attention to the details of a novel rather than the broad strokes - small details will recur later, at high impact, and the POV character has an odd perspective that rewards going back and looking at things in hindsight. I'd highly recommend it. I got up to about a 10th of the way into the third book, at which point I realised I had to go back and start again to be able to pay attention to the details so that I'm not missing things. Well, so that I'm missing fewer things.
    I read the first book of the series, thought it was alright, but never went further. Wolfe's reputation (many other writers call him the best author alive, or the greatest sci fi author ever, or similarly high praise) is no doubt well-earned, but I think it built my expectations too high. I had trouble connecting to Severian as a character and wasn't invested enough in him to continue the series. I think maybe in my early 20's I probably missed a lot of the subtle details and such that Wolfe is known for, so if I went back and gave it another read I would probably appreciate him more the second time through.

I will say though that my first exposure to Wolfe, a standalone novel from ~25 years later called Pirate Freedom, was much more accessible and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Because I finally finished my science fiction I'm reading a book a friend got me as a present, The Outsider by Albert Camus, translation by Sandra Smith. It's really good, only five chapters in and I can tell our main character is some form of emotionally repressed/emotionally dull/terminally disinterested, and it's interesting.

I also find it reads like a memory, with a lot of the details missing and only the prominent ones and broad strokes remaining. It's very interesting.
    Ugh, I read it and frankly.. I hardly remember reading it. I mean, I recall the general idea of the plot but beyond that.. I have no idea how it ended or if it had anything happening beyond a certain point. But then I am far more into simpler entertainment.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

30. - Top - End - #150

Since I like reading literary essays, greatly enjoyed Stardust, and have liked some other works by him, I'm reading and enjoying: the view from the cheap seats SELECTED NONFICTION by Neil Gaiman.

It's mostly fan essays, and I'm realizing that I've already read a lot of them (book prefaced, magazine articles, etc.), and many of the essays that I haven't read feel like I have, so closely does Gaiman's taste match mine (maybe it's a generational thing?), except Gaiman is a talented writer.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!