New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tashalatora / unarmed strike

The tashalatora feat allows you to count a specific psionic class towards ac, flurry of blows, and unarmed damage. None of the prereqs seem to require monk levels.

If you don't have monk levels, do you get improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat? It is mentioned under the paragraph for unarmed damage and is not broken out as a bonus feat on the class table.

My gut says no, but can see it both ways

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tashalatora / unarmed strike

You aren't going to get a consensus on the topic most likely. There are two trains of thought regarding the feat:

1) Your monk level is 0, plus your psionic levels = gaining monk abilities

2) Your monk level is - and you cannot add to a non-existent number, thus no monk abilities without at least 1 level in monk.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3

If you go with 2, which I am inclined to do - would you grant improved unarmed strike as part of the "unarmed damage" progression?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    If you go with 2, which I am inclined to do - would you grant improved unarmed strike as part of the "unarmed damage" progression?
    If I went with 2, tashalatora would do nothing until gaining your first level in monk, so no.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

5. - Top - End - #5

Oops - meant 1 (silly me and my attempting to reply while multitasking)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Going with one, no it would not. Improved Unarmed Strike is a bonus feat granted by monk and Tashlatora does not call out granting it. That being said, your unarmed damage would continue to scale but you would be stuck dealing with the considerable downside of doing unarmed strikes without IUS. That being said you could simply take IUS as a feat on your own and be good.

Also the biggest consequence I can think of of allowing monk level to be 0 instead of NAN will crop up on anima mage. You can enter without binder but progress its abilities and that would be affected by the ruling as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Monk2 is VERY feat heavy, any of which you can swap out for Monastic Training to save you from early level sag. If you don't want Imp Grapple or Stunning Fist or Deflect Arrows or whatever, you can swap them out.

It's also worth noting that you don't really need Tash until at LEAST level 6. You'll be SLIGHTLY behind on level 5 if you don't have it, but only slightly. Heck, you might not even really miss it if you wait until 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Monk2 is VERY feat heavy, any of which you can swap out for Monastic Training to save you from early level sag. If you don't want Imp Grapple or Stunning Fist or Deflect Arrows or whatever, you can swap them out.
    Retraining only allows you to exchange one feat for another one that you could have chosen in the first place. So the monk bonus feats can only be exchanged for other monk bonus feats. To truly choose any feat (you meet the prerequisites for) you need to do the DCFS. Good luck finding a level 15+ caster willing to help you at level 1 or 2.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Retraining only allows you to exchange one feat for another one that you could have chosen in the first place. So the monk bonus feats can only be exchanged for other monk bonus feats. To truly choose any feat (you meet the prerequisites for) you need to do the DCFS. Good luck finding a level 15+ caster willing to help you at level 1 or 2.
    He meant instead of getting the standard Monk Bonus Feat, you could swap it out for Monastic Training at that level... which is a prereq for Tash.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    He meant instead of getting the standard Monk Bonus Feat, you could swap it out for Monastic Training at that level... which is a prereq for Tash.
    To be more clear, monastic training can be taken as a monk bonus feat at monk level 1, 2 or 6. The use of the word "swap" in this context is just confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Going with one, no it would not. Improved Unarmed Strike is a bonus feat granted by monk and Tashlatora does not call out granting it. That being said, your unarmed damage would continue to scale but you would be stuck dealing with the considerable downside of doing unarmed strikes without IUS. That being said you could simply take IUS as a feat on your own and be good.
    Or you could just wear gauntlets. They deal damage equal to your unarmed strike, make you no longer considered unarmed for provoking attacks of opportunity, and allow you to deal lethal damage with your strikes (though you can no longer deal nonlethal damage without taking the standard -4 penalty to attack rolls)
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-04-28 at 01:26 AM.