New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Looking for Criticism! :)

I'm still developing my skills as an artist, and I know that I have a very long way to go before I'm good enough to finally start this webcomic I'm so eager to do. All that said, I would like criticism for my latest work, Tsui Shoi-ru. He's an Aasimar noble and a Dancer.
    http://flameofloki.deviantart.com/ar...0%3A1493346767

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for Criticism! :)

My biggest suggestion to you right now: use references. Google is a really good place to look.

Even the best artists need a frame of reference to work from, and you would learn a lot about anatomy, positioning and weightiness.

To me, he seems to be floating in mid air and holding his swords rather awkwardly. He is an interesting concept for a character, and I think if you want to do your comic -- why not start now? You only get better by trying.

Have you considered using inks and eraser yet? Copics are a great pen to use on top of pencil that won't smear when you erase. It would make your art more vivid and 'complete' looking.

I hope that helps you! Please keep posting!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, of course, this is just the sort blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage.... You sit there on your loathsome spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist. You excrement,... you whining hypocritical toadie... oh wait, did you want constructive criticism?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

XD Yes, That would be most helpful! Lol, I'm working to improve my anatomy, bit by bit. Last night I did a halfling barbarian, and took the advice of widening his neck. I also used a reference of a person descending some stairs, gave him a similar pose. :P

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hi! As a beginner-artist-for-years myself I can warn you about the path you seem to take: don't draw lines! Draw volumes.

Okay, that seems both obscure and very imperative said like that, specially if you want to draw comic/manga, but the fact is you, I, we all need to think the subjects we draw as volumes that light reflects upon. Even if the final render is a comic style line art, that's still need to show 3D objects in a fictive 3D plane, and that really have kept me away from improving for too long (and still does)!

Human anatomy are very complex shapes that can be set in too much configurations, so you better draw simpler volumes from time to time, you'll learn the same skills, but far easier. That doesn't mean you have to kill the pleasure of drawing characters, but take some time just to do some exercises. As you're on deviantart, I'd recommend you to watch SenshiStock who publishes poses references very often, use them as a base for drawing your character, or just sketch some in the beginning of your drawing session to warm up, they helps a lot!

Okay, now I'll really need to apply all those advices (and see if they effectively work) ... Keep motivated, being an "artist" seems to be a tough journey...
    Last edited by raaaahman; 2017-05-01 at 11:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Something about the arms makes them look like they are going off at an awkward angle.
    But really the bottom half and the weapons on the character look pretty good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The skinny neck coming off the muscular chest looks downright freakish. The way the pecs transition into the arms also doesn't look quite right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jastiv View Post
    Something about the arms makes them look like they are going off at an awkward angle.
    But really the bottom half and the weapons on the character look pretty good.
    I think that might have to do with the lines of the biceps on his right arm overlapping the lower arm rather than vice versa. Also, the bicep goes into the armpit whereas here it begins on the outside of the shoulder, further exagerating the effect. It makes it look sort of like the arm is bending backwards:)

Good job though, keep going at it!
    Last edited by Hellstick; 2017-06-11 at 06:12 PM.