The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 5e Arabian Adventure - Throne of Unearthly Wonders

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark 001 View Post
    I'd actually prefer it if you stick to official stuff because it throws up some interesting role playing opportunities but it's there if you want it.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? No homebrew

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Again, no homebrew

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. As explained above, you can use material from the link if you like

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any official 5e material (PHB, UA, EE, Volo's) and the material from the link above
    The only UA stuff I have seen him approve so far is the Mystic, and Tiefling Variant (which was then printed in the SCAG I think?) .... so where is all this Artificer homebrew/UA coming from? Did I miss something? I am building a Rogue instead of my normal Ranger because I thought it was disallowed....
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-04-30 at 01:47 AM.
    Airannis Ragnok Kamui Draykhen
    IC IC IC None Yet

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Allow me to present Jaheed 'J' Naseer

Spoiler
    Show

Jaheed Naseer
    Human Rogue 3 True Neutral

AC 15 HP 27 Speed 30ft

Str 8 (-1) Dex 19 (4) Con 16 (3) Wis 13 (1) Int 9 (-1) Cha 18 (4)
    Initiative + 8

Attacks
    Shortsword Attack: + 6 Damage: 1d6 + 4 Piercing
    Shortsword Offhand Attack: + 6 Damage: 1d6 Piercing
    Dagger (20 / 60) X 5 Attack: + 6 Damage: 1d4 + 4 Piercing

Hit Dice: d8
    HP/Level: 5 + Con (3) = 8

Skills
    Stealth +6
    Slight of Hand + 8
    Perception + 5
    Deception + 6
    Performance + 6
    Persuasion + 6
    Thieves' Tools, Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit + 6
    Weighted Dice + 6

Favorite Scheme: I cheat at games of Chance (with weighted Dice)
    Feature Master Forger: You can forge documents including official papers and personal letters, as long as you have seen an example of the kind of document or the handwriting you are trying to copy.

Thieves' Cant

Expertise: Perception, Sleight of Hand
    Sneak Attack: 2d6 - Finesse or Ranged Only
    Cunning Action: May Dash, Disengage, or Hide as a bonus action.
    Archetype: Swashbuckler (Duelist)

Fancy Footwork: During your turn, if you make a melee attack against a creature, that creature can't make Opportunity Attacks against you for the rest of your turn.

Rakish Audacity: You can add your Cha Mod to your initiative rolls.
    In addition, you don't need advantage on your attack roll for Sneak Attack if no creature other than your target is within 5ft of you. All other rules still apply.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Jaheed 'J' Naseer was always a crafty boy, but life in the bazaar and market filled streets of the desert cities sharpened his wits, reflexes, and ability to read others. By the time Jaheed was swindling the more wealthy folk out of their money with games of dice and chance; it was too late to turn back.
    More often than not, Jaheed kept out of trouble, secretly depositing -most- of the extra coin he made from his cons at local orphanages and such for other beggars to benefit from. Jaheed, little more than one such orphaned 'street rat' , was caught one day by a wealthy Nobleman who had a much keener eye than he and realized his dice were weighted.

What would have been the end of Jaheed, became instead a beginning of working for the Nobleman. He had been placed in the dept of this nobleman, a debt he intended to work off however he could. If one thing could be said, it was that the Nobleman had use of Jaheed and put his talents to work gathering information, spying, and other harmless acts of espionage.

When it was determined the Sultan would be adopting the next successor to the throne in the absence of any heir to the bloodline, his benefactor and nobleman yet again had use of Jaheed's talents. This time he was promised intrigue, diplomacy, and danger; all things Jaheed thrived in. Whatever was going on, Jaheed would have the issue figured out and resolved within the weeks end...
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-04-30 at 02:06 AM.
    IC IC IC None Yet

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Airatome1 View Post
    Also, this was only partially answered: 9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

What about Hit Point calculation? Roll? Average? Roll and take the average if your roll is lower than?
    Yeah, should have thought of that. Roll and take the average of you roll lower than average. That seems to be the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Airatome1 View Post
    The only UA stuff I have seen him approve so far is the Mystic, and Tiefling Variant (which was then printed in the SCAG I think?) .... so where is all this Artificer homebrew/UA coming from? Did I miss something? I am building a Rogue instead of my normal Ranger because I thought it was disallowed....
    I think he means the Artificer class from the UA Eberron conversion. I'm afraid I've never actually played a multiclass campaign in all my time DMing so I'm a bit cautious of taking the leap into it. If the adventure goes well then I'll definitely include it though.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    I would like to talk with the DM about expanding the potion list, as the archetype is rather underpowered. I can think of a few other options, but these seem to be great for the setting and not chosen already.
    Which potions were you thinking of?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling for HP: (1d8)[3] (1d8)[8]
    I'm basically mechanically done now. Anything I'll change would have to happen after the party is selected because it's stuff like Int skills, which of two Stealth based Disciplines to take, and languages. I guess I'll also need to work out the Hermit background feature with the GM if that actually counts as a "mechanic". (To note I basically just took the Sage background with the Hermit feature since that's what made sense. Though I did also swap one flavor item with another because it made more sense.)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Re: 5e Arabian Adventure - Throne of Unearthly Wonders

Is there room for a 5.0 newbie? I have never played a game of 5th I just cracked open the book for the first tiem at the end of last year but only thumbed through. If I can get my hands on it again what would I need only for Char Gen? Just the Player's Handbook or are there any other Player/Character centred splat books?

6. - Top - End - #36

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    Is there room for a 5.0 newbie? I have never played a game of 5th I just cracked open the book for the first tiem at the end of last year but only thumbed through. If I can get my hands on it again what would I need only for Char Gen? Just the Player's Handbook or are there any other Player/Character centred splat books?
    Yeah, that should be fine. It's a pretty newbie friendly game. As for the books, the PHB is enough for character creation. There's also the unearthed arcana pdfs available free on the wotc website. You could go for Volo's guide to monsters and the sword coast adventure guide but since this is a converted ad&d setting none of that is setting specific anyways.

7. - Top - End - #37

BardGuy

I'm stopping the recruiting now since we've got enough people. If you guys write up your character details and stuff today I'll set up the ooc and ic chats tomorrow

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Would you allow the Cavalier archetype from this UA?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I'm not sure what potions I would include yet, and I think that could actually be a fun thing to incorporate into the game. Like as we travel over the sands of Al-Qadim, he finds new brews to improve his capabilities beyond the central eight or so he knows at the start.

For Airatome1, those Artificers were both from Unearthed Arcana, just different ones and they were separate build considerations rather than a multiclass. Kimika would either be the Artificer from the UA dedicated to it (a new class, like how the Mystic was released) or the older Artificer that really didn't have much to do with the old class from UA Eberron.

The UA Artificer could be fun for either an alchemist or a janissary-type with a dash of Kabbalah thrown in for a golem companion (not literally the golems, but the beast thing that is a construct). The old Artificer has very... unique strengths. It gains the ability to make potions that can do sometimes awesome and sometimes less-so things witb the trade that these solutions must be prepared ahead of time. Also its Infuse Scrolls feature allows for casting costly spells like Illusory Script by devoting a short rest and Arcane Recovery slots to it.

I'm leaning more toward the newer one. The Infuser only came into its own at higher levels, when most casters find concentration spells at lower slots to be inefficient but the Infuser can make ample use of things like Invisibility while still using Animate Objects. The Artificer seems to have a more gradual path of goodies, and it is very direct.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I'm stopping the recruiting now since we've got enough people.
    I would strongly recommend against this particular course of action. There is a lot of flaking out on this forum. On average I would expect 50% of the people who have declared interest to not even wind up making a character. Of those that do, you're still very likely to see at least one player vanish/stop posting/have to leave the game/something about two weeks to a month in. So you really want to make sure you're looking at a full set of completed characters and hopefully some replacement players for if/when someone stops playing.

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sdjz View Post
    Would you allow the Cavalier archetype from this UA?
    Yeah, that should be great. I should have pointed out though that the adventure has a fair bit of roleplaying so "outsider" characters may be treated differently to those with a native class. So you may for example find that the desert riders take an interest in the techniques that your Cavalier uses. It's not a penalty. It just gives some opportunities for roleplaying that could go either way

12. - Top - End - #42

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would strongly recommend against this particular course of action. There is a lot of flaking out on this forum. On average I would expect 50% of the people who have declared interest to not even wind up making a character. Of those that do, you're still very likely to see at least one player vanish/stop posting/have to leave the game/something about two weeks to a month in.
    So what would you suggest? I'm not familiar enough with the forum to know. I had originally planned for 3-5 players and we've got about 10 characters. I thought that might be enough so if a few people drop out all still have a good size party. Should I leave it open a bit longer?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Id say better start sooner then later, maybe start wednesdah instead of tuesday but definately not dragbitbout till next weekend.
    10 people showing interest should be enough. Also seeing the names of people who have taken interest and even already made a character are really frequent posters.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, that should be great. I should have pointed out though that the adventure has a fair bit of roleplaying so "outsider" characters may be treated differently to those with a native class. So you may for example find that the desert riders take an interest in the techniques that your Cavalier uses. It's not a penalty. It just gives some opportunities for roleplaying that could go either way
    I was actually planning on using the Cavalier features as a way to emulate a nomadic desert rider. I considered the other fighter archetypes and thought the cavalier was a better fit mechanical-wise. All the features seem to aim at just a "mounted combatant" which could easily be applicable to a lighter cavalry kind of fighter. I could always simply go Champion or Battlemaster if you feel one of those is more appropriate.

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sdjz View Post
    I was actually planning on using the Cavalier features as a way to emulate a nomadic desert rider.
    Ah, okay. That's a great idea. I wasn't sure what background you were going for.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Rolling for Hit Points
    Show
    (1d8)[1] (1d8)[3]

Working on my character now - it will be a Lizard Cleric, with Light Domain. Should have the mechanics done quite soon, might take a little longer over background as I think I need to invent a little bit about Lizardfolk in Zakhara to get started; haven't found anything official yet. If anyone else has any sources, do let me know!
    Last edited by Alimack; 2017-04-30 at 02:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Lizardfolk

Also rolling starting gold
    Spoiler: Starting Gold
    Show
    (5d4)[9] x 10 = 90
    Last edited by Alimack; 2017-04-30 at 02:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Samyar Kabraji is now done. Background subject to change as needed to fit the start of the campaign, how everyone met, etc.
    Last edited by Sdjz; 2017-04-30 at 04:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Rolling for gold. Since Artificers have comparable item needs to Paladins and other item-heavy classes, I think that the (5d4)[8]*10 is appropriate. If it is not, I can reroll with the lower amount. Or higher, but I think getting more gold than anyone else is not on the table .

EDIT: 80 gp. Not great, but it'll do. I think I will have my person be a healer of some sort, as the archetype's Healing Draught with the Medic feat from the Feats for Skills UA would make sense for someone who runs a clinic.
    Last edited by RickAllison; 2017-04-30 at 04:03 PM.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

@Aardvark 001: Unless I've missed a lot, you don't have 10 characters. You have ten people who showed up and expressed interest. My suggestion would to wait until you have your minimum number of players in completed characters and then set a date a few days or so later when recruiting will end and then select who you think have the best characters, would work together best, you feel would be least likely to drop out of the game, or whatever else you feel are good criteria for picking players.

If you're lucky though, you might have a good number of completed characters between today and tomorrow and could still be selecting the party tuesday or wednesday. It's just a really bad idea to select players if they don't have finished characters.

My personal view would be to pick only people who actually bother to write in backstories for their characters since you know these people will put in at least some effort. If there's way more that your maximum amount, personally I recommend not going over that amount (5 is a really good sized group for D&D). Just make a list of backup players in case someone drops out or vanishes. Which around here is almost inevitable.

Edit: Also I suggest picking me. For obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2017-04-30 at 04:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

PaladinGuy

d20 Re: 5e Arabian Adventure - Throne of Unearthly Wonders

Here is my character. Please forgive me if it is a bit basic. I am relatively new to the system. (It's level 3 using standard array)

Khouri

If you want me to change/develop anything on the character/backstory just let me know.

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/032...2892839530.jpg

Not my art, but art that I think fits my character.
    Last edited by RadarMonkey1; 2017-04-30 at 07:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

BardGuy

Okay. I'll reopen recruiting and leave it open till Tuesday/Wednesday. If you want to join the game, could you finish up your character and link to a character sheet if possible

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Rolling for gold and hp

Gold: (4d4)[10]x10GP = 100GP
    HP: 8+(2d6)[7] = 15hp

Just the backstory left: Saiph Ar-Raqis (Roughly translated:the sword that dances)
    Last edited by Aéquitas; 2017-04-30 at 05:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

PaladinGuy

Do you want us to begin play with any special equipment or is it purely starting equipment/currency?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would you mind another applicant?
    Bard, college of glamour (UA).
    Do you accept variant human? (feat)

(4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Presenting, Waning Crescent

27. - Top - End - #57

PaladinGuy

We've got a cleric, rogue, mystic, bladesinger, and fighter so far. This ought to be a lot of fun.
    Last edited by RadarMonkey1; 2017-04-30 at 07:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap...wait, wait, wait.....

You are only level 3 and you can heal your own wounds by absorbing spent Psi points, heal other characters (cure wounds), remove curses and ability score damage (Restoration) , AND revive the dead within 1 minute (Revivify) ..... on top of all the other things this class can do?

I have not played a Cleric in a very long time....but tier 2 healing spells like that are 3rd level, right? This type of Mystic is basically mimicking a primary healer right?

Ok.... so it's not SO bad....I was concerned for a moment. I forgot how swiftly clerics got the healing and reviving type spells.
    IC IC IC None Yet

29. - Top - End - #59

PaladinGuy

I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Al-Kimikaiya

Al-Kimikaiya, also known by friends as Kimi, is a healer studied in both traditional herbalism and magic as well as modern, formalized medicine (for the setting). An expert on the human body and how to treat it, his experiments with medicine have given rise to some... interesting compounds. A powerful acid from his experiments with curing stomach ailments, a flaming concoction that was originally intended as an insect repellant, and an explosive that was a failed attempt to reduce fever, as well as several others that are unfit for practical use yet. Oh, and a restorative potion.

Kimi is in this quest to pay back or have his loan for his clinic forgiven, and prefers to find non-lethal solutions to problems. Unfortunately, his extensive medical expertise leaves him keenly aware of just how much damage a body can take or how to injure without permanent maiming or killing, and he is not shy about using this knowledge, though he tends to be better at assisting those more skilled at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    "I've instructed my friend to leave the room. It's my turn. Don't worry I won't ask any questions, though I hope you are more inclined to answer them when they return. I'm more interested in trying out some of these new components I've been experimenting with..."

All it takes is once:

Hours later...