New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5] Weapons Worth a Feat?

Are there any weapons worth spending the feat needed to wield them? If so, in what builds is it worth it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Weapons Worth a Feat?

Spiked chain and comparable weapons with reach + Adjacent spaces and tripping capacity are wroth it on builds with the Str, Dex AND Con to make really good use of tripping/bulls rushing to control a battle field and lock down an area.

If you have an utterly monstrous strength score and feats to spare, 1 handed exotic weapons can be worth 2 feats, proficiency and weapons focus, and 3 skill ranks, for a level of exotic weapons master to get x2 Str to damage. (Also helps if you can finagle additional damage boosters/multiplier's, like Dungeoncrash fighter or that Fighter AFC that doubles the attacks damage or Decisive strike. And/or reliable extra attacks like Whirling Frenzy. )

Gnome Quick Razor can be worth it if you have/can get Iai-jutsu focus as a class skill and build with using it in mind.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Are there any weapons worth spending the feat needed to wield them? If so, in what builds is it worth it?
    No. Most damage comes from modifiers, enchantments, and skills, not the weapon itself. If you really want a certain weapon, It's often more worth dipping a level into a class that gives weapon proficiency with it than investing a feat.
    Last edited by Matrota; 2017-04-29 at 12:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spiked chain is definitely worth it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It's probably not that worth it, but boy do I love the Minotaur Greathammer. 1d12 damage with a 19-20/x4 crit range. It's my warblade weapon of choice.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Spiked chain and comparable weapons with reach + Adjacent spaces and tripping capacity are wroth it on builds with the Str, Dex AND Con to make really good use of tripping/bulls rushing to control a battle field and lock down an area.

If you have an utterly monstrous strength score and feats to spare, 1 handed exotic weapons can be worth 2 feats, proficiency and weapons focus, and 3 skill ranks, for a level of exotic weapons master to get x2 Str to damage. (Also helps if you can finagle additional damage boosters/multiplier's, like Dungeoncrash fighter or that Fighter AFC that doubles the attacks damage or Decisive strike. And/or reliable extra attacks like Whirling Frenzy. )

Gnome Quick Razor can be worth it if you have/can get Iai-jutsu focus as a class skill and build with using it in mind.
    if you aren't dex/aoo focused, the duom also gives reach and also threatens adjacent squares without requiring ewp.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    if you aren't dex/aoo focused, the duom also gives reach and also threatens adjacent squares without requiring ewp.
    Interesting: What book is that one in?
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Interesting: What book is that one in?
    the duom is from dragon compendium
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would never expend a feat on a proficiency, but there are a couple I would take a one level dip for-in addition to the spiked chain, there is also the crescent knife and spinning sword for TWF/MWF, and their utility/damage output is greater than most other non caster dips can provide. When available, I always take 1 level of the Kensai Fighter variant, from Dragon Magazine #310, I think. Free exotic proficiency, plus a scaling bonus on attack/damage rolls with it-even if you just dip one level. By level 20 that bonus is a flat +5 to hit and damage with every attack by that weapon, which can put a decent TWF/MWF build over the top for a 1 level dip.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Is the Skillful enhancement from Complete Arcane on the table? If so the question becomes, "Is there any feat you could free up that would be worth the GP value of a +2 weapon enhancement?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Is the Skillful enhancement from Complete Arcane on the table? If so the question becomes, "Is there any feat you could free up that would be worth the GP value of a +2 weapon enhancement?"
    If you are throwing multiple boomerangs that could get pricey, also feat requirements might make that less viable.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Haberdash the Masked has a list of interesting exotic weapons.

A heavy or kaorti resin jovar (Planar Handbook) makes a pretty interesting two-hander. For one-handers, I'm quite fond of tigerskull clubs (Frostburn) + Oversized TWF. Light weapons, I'd probably go with eagle's claw (Sandstorm) or cutting wheel (Secrets of Sarlona).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I would never expend a feat on a proficiency, but there are a couple I would take a one level dip for-in addition to the spiked chain, there is also the crescent knife and spinning sword for TWF/MWF, and their utility/damage output is greater than most other non caster dips can provide. When available, I always take 1 level of the Kensai Fighter variant, from Dragon Magazine #310, I think. Free exotic proficiency, plus a scaling bonus on attack/damage rolls with it-even if you just dip one level. By level 20 that bonus is a flat +5 to hit and damage with every attack by that weapon, which can put a decent TWF/MWF build over the top for a 1 level dip.
    Are you sure that kensai bonus increases even with just a one level dip? seems a shaky ruling to me. But feel free to prove me wrong, i would love to use it like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

A bone bow (which I believe is in Frostburn) can be useful on a Barbarian archer who has an inconstant STR score but who wants to take advantage of a composite bow (or equivalent) giving a STR-based bonus to damage, since a bone bow doesn't have a specific set STR rating the way a composite bow does. (Using a normal composite bow is tricky in a case like that, since if you set the STR rating for when you're raging, you're taking a big penalty when you attack with the bow while not raging. If you set the STR rating for when you're not raging, then you're giving up part of what makes Barbarian archers interesting.)

The tricky part is finding a time when the character has few enough Rages per day that they'll legitimately need to be attacking with and without Rage bonuses on a regular basis (therefore, low level) but when they have a feat to spare (which is not a small thing on an archer, particularly one like a Barbarian). The feat that's spent on the bone bow might be better spent on Extra Rage to have two extra encounters per day when you don't need to worry about your unbuffed STR.

Other than that, the spiked chain has been mentioned, and there's also the gnomish quickrazor on an Iaijutsu build. Very few other exotic weapons are worth a feat.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Kensai fighter was never altered/updated that I can find, and the article is very clear- +1 attack and damage as a class feature, which only functions with the martial/exotic weapon you chose for your free proficiency, replacing the fighter bonus feat at first level. This bonus increases to +2 at level 5, and increases by +1 every five levels thereafter. It is very clear that the feature advances by level rather than class level, so anyone dipping fighter without another variant in mind like thug fighter should consider it.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2017-04-29 at 12:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

The Kensai fighter was never altered/updated that I can find, and the article is very clear- +1 attack and damage as a class feature, which only functions with the martial/exotic weapon you chose for your free proficiency, replacing the fighter bonus feat at first level. This bonus increases to +2 at level 5, and increases by +1 every five levels thereafter. It is very clear that the feature advances by level rather than class level, so anyone dipping fighter without another variant in mind like thug fighter should consider it.
    So you mean the same wording used by a number of other classes such as Ninja:
    Acrobatics (Ex): Starting at 6th level, a ninja gains a +2 bonus on Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks. This bonus increases to +4 at 12th level and +6 at 18th level.
    Scout:
    Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a scout’s gains a +10 foot enhancement bonus to her base land speed. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +20 feet. See the monk class feature, page 41 of the Player’s Handbook.
    Barbarian:
    A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level).
    And probably other things that assume you know they are referring to class levels.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I always have felt that the Talenta Sharash (non-errata'd) is worth the feat.

Reach weapon, d10, 18-20/x4, with +2 to trip attempts.

Although talenta halflings have weapon familiarity with it.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

18. - Top - End - #18

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    So you mean the same wording used by a number of other classes such as Ninja:
    Scout:
    Barbarian:

And probably other things that assume you know they are referring to class levels.
    i was under the impression it wasnt just based on character level as well, wich akes a kensai fighter dip a lot more boring :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.