New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Should I refrain from commenting on youtube?

But guys...... I've met so many thoughtful, enlightened people on youtube comment threads. Never seen hate speech on the internet ever, especially youtube.

Ha ha ha ha
    I'm a crazy person with a game company, Time Book Entertainment: http://timebookentertainment.com

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thamolas View Post
    But guys...... I've met so many thoughtful, enlightened people on youtube comment threads. Never seen hate speech on the internet ever, especially youtube.

Ha ha ha ha
    I've actually seen thoughtful conversations on youtube - it's sparse, but there are channels that get them consistently. Others are prone to deteriorating at a downright alarming speed and then bottoming out only after the conversation has gotten really ugly.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

I unironically love YouTube comments.

The best of the best, really.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Second..Third.. Hundredth every other person who said youtube comments are fairly consistently a bath of toxic sludge

But are you saying you're the one who commented "this game kinda sucks"? The thing is, those kind of comments contribute to the sludge. I develop games and love feedback so I'll go over youtube comments, and even with the best of intentions you can't get anything out of "this game kinda sucks"

I bring it up because it's an extremely valuable life skill to be able to go beyond "this game sucks". Okay, so it made you feel bad. Drill down into the why. Maybe "the graphics feel outdated", "The gameplay seems choppy and it hurts the smooth experience", "The sequences are too long"

It's not even about youtube - learn the skill, guarantee it'll help you in every aspect of life

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

If you're received negative and offensive comments from trolls, well you should flag or report their comments on YouTube.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

My answer: If you don't want to comment, don't comment.

My other answer: Practice your right of free speech! Censorship of any kind is tyranny!

So basically, comment if you want to and just don't care if people are mean to you. Are you really going to let yourself be hurt by some 10 year olds who think they are edgy?
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    ....Are you really going to let yourself be hurt by some 10 year olds who think they are edgy?

I don't know Darkstorm Wintersteele is the most formidable member of all of 5th grade!

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    My other answer: Practice your right of free speech! Censorship of any kind is tyranny!
    Avoiding a bunch of needlessly argumentative jerks with a knee jerk aversion to actually thinking before they write isn't the same thing as being censored, and it's certainly not tyranny.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Avoiding a bunch of needlessly argumentative jerks with a knee jerk aversion to actually thinking before they write isn't the same thing as being censored, and it's certainly not tyranny.
    Calm down, it's just a joke.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm on YouTube all the time and I know how it feels when someone get ballistic and spewing hateful comments when people have different opinions. So I say you shouldn't refrain your comments on YouTube. Free what on your mind.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamzeira View Post
    But are you saying you're the one who commented "this game kinda sucks"? The thing is, those kind of comments contribute to the sludge. I develop games and love feedback so I'll go over youtube comments, and even with the best of intentions you can't get anything out of "this game kinda sucks"
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this reaction to OP. I agree that some people respond entirely inappropriately to even the most polite and constructive criticism of the thing they love... but "this game kinda sucks" isn't precisely the most polite and constructive of criticism. If anything, it borders on trolling to the extent that it practically mirrors the apocryphal hypothetical example of trolling (going into a dog-lovers' chat room and saying "Dogs SUCK!!!!!!!!!!")

If you don't like the game, you can say that you don't care for the particular genre, or that it's buggy, or derivative of some other game, or the mechanics are clumsy, or a number of other specific reasons, and the people who respond with profanity and abuse--rather than addressing your specific point--will look like jerks who turned an actual discussion about the merits of the game into a mud slinging match. But it seems incredibly disingenuous to just post "This game sucks" in front of what is likely an audience that likes the game and then to complain that you get abuse in return. The difference between OP's conduct and the profane responses is one of degree, not one of type.