New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Old Blood Feat

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Old Blood Feat

It's a feat from Bastard and Bloodlines. I was wondering if Old Blood works for template like say using Old Blood(warforged) to apply incarnate construct. Would that actually work?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Blood Feat

For the undoubtedly large number of playgrounders who do not have access to the book in question, could you post the feat here, please?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Benefit: Choose one race other than your own. For purposes of prestige classes, spells, feat prerequisites, magic items, and so on, you count as a member of that race.
    Special: You can take this feat only at 1st level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Templates are not on that list and even then it is a function of construct, not warforged, that allows you to apply the template. I would say no.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Agreeing with Zamiel here for all the reasons they listed.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Templates are not on that list and even then it is a function of construct, not warforged, that allows you to apply the template. I would say no.
    It does say "...and so on" so I think that part covers templates but I think you're right about the construct not warforged thing making it not work.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Also, on a side note, that feat looks ripe for Beholder Mage abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    It does say "...and so on" so I think that part covers templates but I think you're right about the construct not warforged thing making it not work.
    And so in leaves up in a pretty murky area, but everything listed was after race selection, most of it after level 1 selections so I feel that allowing templates to apply under that clause seems overly broad. I am also unfamiliar with race locked templates off the top of my head so it is possible the point is moot.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Also, on a side note, that feat looks ripe for Beholder Mage abuse.
    I've seen it used for both Beholder Mage and Illithid Savant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fulong View Post
    It's a feat from Bastard and Bloodlines. I was wondering if Old Blood works for template like say using Old Blood(warforged) to apply incarnate construct. Would that actually work?
    No. That feat allows you to qualify for things that require Warforged in specific. Incarnate Construct requires you to be a construct, in general. Unfortunately, a non-construct with Old Blood (Warforged) is still not a construct, so don't qualify.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fulong View Post
    Do you mean to apply incarnate construct to a race that isn't actually a Warforged? If you can work it out with your DM that you went and found a Wizard to cast the spell to turn you into an incarnate construct then it could possibly work, but it's very strange and unsupported by fluff or really any real crunch. The problem after that is I assume you would want a template on top of Incarnate Construct, or you already have one and you're willing to lose all the special abilities when you're morphed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
    I've seen it used for both Beholder Mage and Illithid Savant.
    Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    No. That feat allows you to qualify for things that require Warforged in specific. Incarnate Construct requires you to be a construct, in general. Unfortunately, a non-construct with Old Blood (Warforged) is still not a construct, so don't qualify.
    Ah this is probably right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.