The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Through the Faerie Ring OOC

A full moon hangs in the darkening skies above; the silver orb girt by stars like diamonds studding the red and blues of sunset. A winding path has been trampled through the wheat fields and long grass . It snakes past the farms on the periphery of the backwater township where you have spent the past few days. There it meets the wooded foothills of the vale's mountain girdle. Throughout the day the path has been trampled into the soft dirt and mud-- a gift of fall's first rainfall-- by hundreds of feet as townspeople make their way into the hills.

As night falls, the pilgrimage has slowed from a constant trickle to nothing. People must wake early to get the crops in, and no fireside dance will change that, even if it does make the crops come in better. Besides, who wants to be nursing that hangover without a good nights sleep. Besides, who knows what comes out at night?

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. Durance Crossing is a small and quiet town in the middle of a chaotic country; a good central place to meet and nothing more. But gods above! The drink they brew here! Whatever the local moonshine is, it is stronger than anything you have ever tasted. They said it's made with apples. Well, mostly apples, anyway. And what is the harm in participating in the ritual a bit? At the minimum you will blend in better and have some time to catch up in private...

And the path gives way to old cobbles, sparse and worn smooth by centuries of ritual; a beaten path into the woods. When you reach the clearing the sky has darkened to deep midnight shades and the moon shines bright above. The bonfire that roared through the day is smoldering embers now, and the clearing is strewn with empty bottles.

And rising above the ashen pyre are the dolmens. A circle of old stone pillars, roughly hewn and coated with ages-old moss and lichens. Some stand like gates, one slab perched above two more. The long grass has been beaten down by dancing feet around the old stones, but none have crossed the threshold.

The people of Durance Crossing speak in hushed whispers of the dolmens, though none seem to know why. Some say they are the grave of old kings. Others say sleeping giants rest beneath the hill. Still others say it is where they fey steal through at night to snatch children back to their winter realms, and they quickly touch iron afterward.

But not for you are the superstitions of simple folk. And it seems like a good place to sit and enjoy the drink.

It does taste a bit of apples now, doesn't it? Well, mostly apples...

And now one of you has started another bonfire, though the bright moonlight seems to have washed the colors out. It's too pale. But the drink is flowing strong one someone started singing. You never would have guessed he had such a singing voice. Which of them is that now? Your head is spinning.

Oh well, there were more bottles. Nothing another nip won't fix.

And now you are dancing, because someone was singing, and because it's tradition and seemed like a good idea at the time. And above the stars are wheeling, unless that's just your pounding head, and as you dance about the landscape seen through the dolmen gates seems to dance and shift with you. And someone is singing again but there seem to be too many voices and the laughing sounds off and everything is spinning and fading.

Fading to black...

And you finally open your eyes in a field of gold and purple grass under a blazing aurora in a violet sky studded with unfamiliar stars and far milder temperatures than the early fall you remembered. And your head is pounding but you are sober, sober enough to realize you are not in Durance Crossing anymore.

Though where you are now...

Well, that's anyone's guess.

Through the Faerie Ring

Collected Lore [This will expand over the course of the game but these are basic notes about magic and the setting in general]

Spoiler: Song, Name and Fire
    Show

In the first age of the world, nameless gods reigned supreme. Born of the eternal pure fire of will they shaped the world and men as they desired, and mortal flesh and craft was as dust before them. Then Ur-Kadesh, the first mortal hero discovered the secrets of iron and the Song and drove the gods back into the howling dark beyond the world.

Sages say the Song was the first verse that the universe was sang from, and contains the knowledge and mastery of of all things in its cadences. The myths say that only Ur-Kadesh ever knew the song in its entirety, and strode the earth greater than the gods that he shattered in his wake. No one since has bore that power. But it's echoes are another story.

Fragments of the Song are Verses and Names, Verses being a collection of Names in sequence. Each Name reflects and interacts with the world at a fundamental level, and speaking a Name is to give yourself power over the world-song within the bounds of that Name. One who knows the Name of the wind for instance could call down a tempest or ride the wind or still a storm with but a word and a will.

Those who knew Names were Namers, and the Sorcerer-Kings of the second age were all masters of Naming. Each was said to know a thousand Names and thirteen Great Verses. In most cases, the art perished with them.

Arcana as it is known today is an echo of an echo. The words to spells are for the most part twisted reflections of True Names. They encompass part of a name, but not its whole. A spell to create a wall of wind brings forth a number of inflections that touch on the edges of wind's true name, but in a limited capacity. All spells are defined effects born out of the shadow of Naming.

But those are not the only magics. There are the ill talked about blood rites done in the shadow of the moon, dark rites to appease the memories of gods best left forgotten. There are druidic chants and dances that combined the faint traces of nature's echoing names with the power of natural forces to give them fury. There are hedge magics and grammaries and above all in these days of paltry magics, alchemy, which distills unbound principles and concepts from base materials...

Spoiler: The Rod of Iron
    Show
    Two secret powers liberated the mortal world from nameless gods; Song and Iron. The Song was of the same dreamstuff of the gods, chaotic and formless, it was an untamed fire bound by words. Iron was its antithesis. Iron is solid, firm and enduring. It holds an edge and shatters stone or bronze. When you cannot believe in gods, you can believe in iron. It's real and inevitable in a way magic will never be.

Perhaps that is why magic has such difficulty changing iron. Spells that work on other metals break and slither away when cast against iron. Magic is drawn from dream and fantasy. Iron is all too real.

With the unbreakable might of iron and the burning notes of the Song on high, the gods were driven back into the howling dark, or into the deep places of the earth, to sleep under hills and barrows until their names and power passed from memory. And so die old gods.

The Song too is memory, Song, Verse and Name have all but vanished from the world, and all other magics dwindled with them. On the other hand, the supremacy of iron has marched forward unhindered. Smithys turned out iron sword, then iron mail, then iron cannon. Foundries and factories have girt the world with chains of iron. Iron has tamed the last frontiers and measured all knowable distances. Engines and furnace and steam spell out the shape of the future.

It is a future wrought in iron and steel, hard edged and solid and all too real.

What place can magic find in such a world?

The elves are some of the last holders of arcane might in the world, and even they are a fading ember of past glories. From traditionalist roots they shun new technologies. Industrialization has no place in elven society. Is it their magic or their fey ancestry that causes them to feel the sting of iron? Many sages have asked that question.

Dwarven smiths and human soldiers care little for the sages' answers, for they have put their trust in tools of iron.

As to legends of the fey, they are all to often enmeshed with fantasy and dreams. Is it any wonder they cannot bear the burning kiss of steel?

Spoiler: Elves and other nasty things
    Show
    About 3000 years ago the Age of Might began. Song and Iron were released into the world and the Age of Myth ended. Elves were particularly gifted in the domain of Song and Naming, being the longest lived race they could learn the art to a degree other races could not hope to match. Armed with mystical supremacy they began an age of conquest and elven empires spanned most of the known world.

They were not kind masters, and Dwarves and Humans have tales of Elven cruelty burned into their genetic memory.

The problem was they relied entirely on that arcane might. When magic began to dwindle and the Age of Might began to fade, an alliance of Humans and Dwarves known as the Great Crusade managed to make gains in pushing back the Elven empires, forming the borders and kingdoms that are recognizable today.

Elves, being long lived (about 300 years or so), don't adapt very quickly, or at all, and are so attached to their arcana that they have spent their history trying to resurrect the old magics and maintain their holdings with the old ways that no longer work. Humans and dwarves on the other hand ushered in the Age of Enlightenment after the second Purge of the Archmagi. Humans innovated technology, alchemy and the natural philosophy in ways thought impossible, meanwhile dwarves perfected it. And they two races started to slowly push into the crumbling remains of the ancient elven empires.

Now you live in the Age of Steel. Elven arcana and peerless archery is no match for cannons spitting grapeshot and massed musket fire. The elves have been soundly defeated in every military engagement of the last 50 years and their former empires have utterly collapsed. Elven society has retreated to the ancient forests they came from, far more defensible against marching armies. Elvish culture, rooted in pride and blood purity above all else, is in crisis-- their leaders are debating surrender.

Elves are one of the 'Half Blood' races or 'Myth Races,' depending on who's explaining. These are races that simply appeared at some point in history, in the case of Elves being descended from the Sidhe Fae when they still walked the earth. Elves hold that they are pureblooded scions of the ancient fae while many scholars believe they are the result of interbreeding between humans and sidhe.

High elven society is build around a blood heirarchy-- purer and thus stronger bloodlines lead society. Elven lords are easily distinguished from lesser members of their kind by their bloodline traits-- many have antler like horns and some even have faun like hooves. Magic is strongest among the purest bloodlines, but so is the entire race's vulnerability to iron. For purebloods, the touch of iron can literally burn and blister flesh, while all elves feel some measure of discomfort at it's touch. Elven smiths dislike working with it, and all elvish weapons have intricate hilts that prevent any contact with skin. Many elves still carry weapons of bronze, and those that can will have weapons of rare metals like Mythral and Moonsilver.

Spoiler: Creation War
    Show
    Who can say when the first elves walked the world? They must have been visitors from far off Faerie, when the gates opened in the second age. Who now can say, with what little history remains of that time of cataclysm. The opening of the gates was lost in the chaos of the age.

Lost, but not forgotten. Those old enough to remember yet draw breath beneath Faen skies. They spit a single name as a curse. Iax. A mortal of unmatched ambition who discovered a way to rend the veil between worlds, only a shadow's thickness away. With him came Namers and Shapers, masters of the old way with the fires of creation crackling on their lips. They set forth to create an undying paradise where they could live forever free of the vulgarities of war and the human condition.

Instead they brought those with them.

On Faerie, as in Ea, Namer fought Shaper over who's idea would inherit the world. Here too did mage-towers rise and the thunder of the spoken Word boiled seas and scoured mountains bare. And now so few remain that still remember, gone to ground in their forgotten glades and hidden caverns, or in mighty fortresses beyond the reach of man or elf.

There are some things even immortals fear, and the havoc of the Creation War is atop that list

Player Character Class Race Fluff
    WhoIAm Alauniira Wizard 4 Drow sheet
    Eldest Talia Nasser Vivisectionist Toxicant Alchemist 4 Human there
    TaiLiu Seeker of Iron Secrets Bladebound Magus 4 Elf sheet

OOC Campfire Thread-- for those discussions that fall under IC without being timely-- sit around the campfire and discuss
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2018-12-21 at 03:51 AM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Through the Faerie Ring OOC

Also reserving another post for lore that builds up over the game. It will build up.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    Also reserving another post for lore that builds up over the game. It will build up.
    Wow never thought I would get in considering I ran out of time to finish my backstory... I wanted to do some rite of passage lore and clan hierarchy and I may still do it!

Gunter prefers to speak in Bold Blue and think in Italic Blue if that is alright
    Blarg...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    Wow never thought I would get in considering I ran out of time to finish my backstory... I wanted to do some rite of passage lore and clan hierarchy and I may still do it!
    Please do-- I admit my choice was influenced by you having a reputation for sticking with games, and I've seen you put out good characters in recruitment threads we've both been in

Gunter prefers to speak in Bold Blue and think in Italic Blue if that is alright
    Colors are fine.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Talia will speak and think like so, in my customary purple.
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Dark colors don't always display the best, so make sure to use quotations when speaking, it makes things a lot easier to read

7. - Top - End - #7

Please do-- I admit my choice was influenced by you having a reputation for sticking with games, and I've seen you put out good characters in recruitment threads we've both been in

Colors are fine.
    Daww thanks, I am excited to be in this game, I have applied to your other variations but have not managed to finish up characters. I will work on the fluff tonight hopefully depending on how my brain functions after 12 hours of being awake on 4 hours of sleep lol
    Blarg...

8. - Top - End - #8

Woo! Looking forward to the game!

Here's the recruitment thread, just in case anyone needs to reference it (there's a bunch of character interaction stuff on there).

Seeker will speak in green, if we're doing color-coded speech.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring OOC and IC // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade OOC and IC // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi TaiLiu! Never think I actually responded, but I was stoked to be recognized.

So who wants to know a traveling doctor from before the fey ring?
    LGBTA+itP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Essgar will "speak in Golden Rod with double quotes". He will 'think in italic Golden Rod with single quotes'.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Seriously though. I just don't want to see another setting with the same uninspiring oatmeal polytheism blend.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post

Does said doctor need a bodyguard?
    Blarg...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe if she got a job working someplace remote for a while, and had some money to spend. Say the lordling of a small estate got sick, in the backwoods. So she'd hired on a guard to help her get there in one piece and back again once he got better.
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dondasch View Post
    Essgar will "speak in Golden Rod with double quotes". He will 'think in italic Golden Rod with single quotes'.
    "Shame there's no silver Essgar then it'd be really flashy!" I'll be taking red.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

That's 5/6. Before I post IC, why not have everyone roll initiative?

15. - Top - End - #15

Of course! Your icon is distinct, and I don't recall you ever having changed it.

How are things with you? Do you still have the same job? Should I take this to PMs?
    Oo, I do! Seeker's a traveller too, though for different reasons. Perhaps we met on the road.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Show
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade OOC and IC // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

16. - Top - End - #16

That's 5/6. Before I post IC, why not have everyone roll initiative?
    Oo, are we beginning in the middle of combat?

Initiative: (1d20+5)[24].

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+9)[25] initiative

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

(1d20+2)[21] Initiative. (Man the doctor's initiative sucks...)
    LGBTA+itP

19. - Top - End - #19

Better roll while the dice are being nice: (1d20+4)[10]

Edit: Looks like the good rolls all got used up.
    Last edited by Dondasch; 2017-05-02 at 09:22 AM.
    Seriously though. I just don't want to see another setting with the same uninspiring oatmeal polytheism blend.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Oo, are we beginning in the middle of combat?

Initiative: [roll0].
    Now that just depends on what everyone does...

Why don't we find out? IC is up!

21. - Top - End - #21

(1d20+4)[20] time for the dorf to act last!
    Blarg...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"I ask you to forgive the stench of her concoction I can vouch that they do more harm than good even if they are unpleasant."
    Hey now.
    LGBTA+itP

23. - Top - End - #23

Hey now.
    Smokin's bad mmmkay
    Blarg...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I meant more you flipped harm and good? (But yes, kids, smoking's bad, it's just fluffy as hell for an alchemist )
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #25

I meant more you flipped harm and good? (But yes, kids, smoking's bad, it's just fluffy as hell for an alchemist )
    That's a typo sorry, will fix
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #26

DoctorGlock, I forgot to ask: how does Knowledge (The Planes) work with your campaign?

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

DoctorGlock, I forgot to ask: how does Knowledge (The Planes) work with your campaign?
    No planes-- most things fall under knowledge religion and knowledge history

28. - Top - End - #28

No planes-- most things fall under knowledge religion and knowledge history
    Ah, that makes sense. Permission to replace the Magus' Knowledge (the Planes) with another Knowledge? I put a couple of ranks in because I didn't know where else to put them, and now I need to replace it.

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, that makes sense. Permission to replace the Magus' Knowledge (the Planes) with another Knowledge? I put a couple of ranks in because I didn't know where else to put them, and now I need to replace it.
    Not a problem. I'm going to reply today and if the final two don't post I'll consider digging into the backup roster

30. - Top - End - #30

Not a problem. I'm going to reply today and if the final two don't post I'll consider digging into the backup roster
    Two? I count 5/6 people having posted.