New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Request: 7 Sins Monsters

Hi! I'm running my first campaign soon, and want to make some memorable uber baddies (power level approx cr6) based on the seven deadly sins. From what I have already figured out, I don't want to use demons or devils, but they obviously have to be evil. Here are some ideas to start by, and then I'll use the best entries by the end of next few weeks.

Greed: A bit like a spellthief
    Wrath: Something like rage
    Lust: succubusish

any other ideas? Send your stats or basic ideas.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Request: 7 Sins Monsters

Gluttony: Anything with Swallow Whole(Ex)
    Pride: Something beautiful.
    Envy: Anything with max ranks in Sleight of Hand.
    Sloth: Something like Dwarven Defender. (Five feet a round is very sloth-esque to me.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vanity: A bard with 20ish charisma who thinks he is god.

Pride: Over zealous palidan (Like Miko crazy)

Envy: Some obscure creature who envys the upper races so much he tries to gain power to and rule over them.

These are easy to come up with, except for sloth and gluttony.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2007-08-04 at 12:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Vanity isn't a sin on it's own, it's just a part of pride.

The sins are:
    Lust
    Pride
    Sloth
    Gluttony
    Wrath
    Envy
    Greed

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I imagine that sloth would be something that can use Slow, or cause similar effects.

Pride: Something very powerful toe-to-toe, but no real options or tricks up his sleeve. Probably a charge-oriented creature/character with the pounce ability, with some ability that increases offense at the expense of defense, like Shock Trooper, Banzai Charge, or Inspire Recklessness.

6. - Top - End - #6

Remember guys, I suck at actual D&D mechanics, and can't make these on my own, so anybody with stats for these monsters send them in please, and I might give you a cookie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Gluttony: Behir.
    Pride: Elven Cleric 20
    Envy: Halfling Rogue 20
    Sloth: Zombie Behir
    Wrath: Orc Barbarian 20
    Greed: I dunno.
    Lust: Succubus advanced to 20 HD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Greed is obviously a Dragon of some sort. I might stat one up.

9. - Top - End - #9

Gluttony: Famine Spirit
    Lust: Advanced Succubus
    Emvy: Advanced Fiendish Doppleganger
    Pride: Fallen fiendish Solar Archon
    Greed: Advanced Fiendish Ethereal Fletcher
    Wrath: Fiendish Beholder
    Sloth: Advanced Rakasha

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, I've been writing up a series of Sin based Undead, if you want to take a look at what I've got done so far, send me a PM.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ing View Post
    Gluttony: Famine Spirit
    Nah, I gotta disagree with you on that one. Gluttony is all about personal greed and personal indulgence. Behir all the way.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    Nah, I gotta disagree with you on that one. Gluttony is all about personal greed and personal indulgence. Behir all the way.
    The Famine Spirit does literally nothing but eat. A Behir might be good for greed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ing View Post
    The Famine Spirit does literally nothing but eat. A Behir might be good for greed.
    Yes, but does it eat for pleasure? For indulgence? Does it eat simply because it can? No. It eats because it must, for eating has become an intricate part of the Famine Spirit. It's not Gluttony if it's required.

14. - Top - End - #14

Envy should be something with spellthief levels, like a fiendish human rogue10/spellthief 10

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

How about these ideas?

Envy: A kobold with class level, desperate to prove that his race is as cool as any other... Probably a sorcerer with a power-hungry yen who is desperate to use his magic to acend to a true dragon, or something. Maybe even a Dragon Shaman. Really, you could give class levels to any monster-race that is usually a joke and make envy work.

Pride: A Grey Elf Wizard and complete and utter racist who believes that elves are the superior race and should be worshipped accordingly. He probably has a long list of things that are beneath him to do personally, and servants or minions to do them for him. Thinks like... fight.

Sloth: A bard or beguiler who does all he can to trick, con or manipulate people into doing what he wants. Why fight monsters when you can charm some hero to do it? Why steal the crown jewels when you can force some thief to do it? You get the idea.

Greed: Green or Red Dragon. Or maybe the ghost of a miser, ala Jacob Marley from "A Christmas Carol". Maybe it was a rich man who fate ruined and he died a poor, miserable man... making him obsessed with getting as much wealth as he can in his afterlife.

Wrath: Either a large, fierce monster like an ogre barbarian or a troll... or the more subtle route. A less physically threatening individual who is just REALLY pissed. Imagine the horror of a selfish, 10 year old boy who developed uncommonly strong sorcerer powers at his age and used them to boss people around. Or, say... a jilted woman who went a little nuts over it and now hates all men... and has become a serial killer, knifing men to death at night that she thinks are being "unfaithful".

Gluttony: A vampire who's given in entirely to bloodlust... to the point that he must feed everynight or lose control of himself. Or hell... a cultist of Orcus (From the Book of Vile Darkness). One of their class perks is "Massive Girth". They become huge and obese to mimic their god.

Lust: A succubus works... but a corrupted nymph would be cool... Maybe she was raised by evil beings (maybe even that cult of Orcus) and trained to be a seductress and an assassin. The group is FAR less likely to suspect a nymph of evil than they are a succubus. Give the Nymph a few class levels in rogue or the like if she isn't nasty enough to threaten the party...
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

16. - Top - End - #16

I think I'll stick with that nymph/lust idea, and use the variant taainted nymph on the D&D site. Awesome idea, thanks!

17. - Top - End - #17

Why does Lust have to be a female?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koji View Post
    Why does Lust have to be a female?
    It's stereotypical.

I made Gluttony, but it's much higher than CR 6, more like CR 16. If you're still interested, here it is.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I dare you to make it male :P
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    I dare you to make it male :P
    That'd be a very human sin. A male that is lustful is like a good-looking orc, they exist but they're few and far between(if not ALWAYS lustful). In the eyes of generality something innocent like a woman with the insatiable sexual appitite of a lusty male is just alien to those who may not see the world for what it is.

Though it's just stained my tongue to speak so generally about gender. It's things like that I don't tolerate; Bad me! BAAD MEEE!

So yes. I agree, make Lust a male, it'll be fun.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On a strange side-note, only half of the posters seem to remember that we've been asked for CR 6 creatures.

As for pride, I'd give it mostly CR 6 stats, but I'd make it take 1d6 damage (or something like that) whenever it fails on a d20 roll. Also, attacks against it should also deal an extra 1d6.

For sloth, try some form of anchoring aura (see darkweaver from fiend folio or ethereal defiler from MM 5 for what I'm talking about), incredibly slow speed, a sleep gaze attack, and the ability to actually lose health one round after being hit (similar mechanics to the crusader from the tome of battle).

As far as greed, start with the dragon type, give it DR 5 or 10/adamantine (lots of gold fused in with its skin), and give it a bonus with disarm attempts (possibly an automatic disarm with a successful grapple check).

As far as envy, try starting with a impish-looking thing with mostly low stats. Give it a breath weapon that only effects nonliving matter (the objects of the PCs), Allow it to sunder as if its natural weapons were crafted of adamantine, and give it ability drain (1d4) that can afflict any ability score that is higher than "envy's" corresponding ability score.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

the 7 as PC's

Greed: halfling rogue
    Wrath: half orc frenzied beserker
    Lust: half elf-bard on hormons
    Gluttony: dwarf drunk
    Pride: high elf wizard
    Envy: half-elf rogue
    Sloth: human commoner
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    That'd be a very human sin. A male that is lustful is like a good-looking orc, they exist but they're few and far between(if not ALWAYS lustful). In the eyes of generality something innocent like a woman with the insatiable sexual appitite of a lusty male is just alien to those who may not see the world for what it is.

Though it's just stained my tongue to speak so generally about gender. It's things like that I don't tolerate; Bad me! BAAD MEEE!

So yes. I agree, make Lust a male, it'll be fun.
    I agree, but to make it more edgy (and so I can use an evil nymph) for an all male group, I'd prefer to go with the female with an unnatural sex drive thing, it seems like it could make them a bit uncomfortable, which is what it's meant to do.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ok. CR6, Evil Sin things.

Alright.

Envy should be somebody who is willing to do anything to get what he wants and make it to the top. He wants everything, and will do every and anything to get it. My opinion? Crazed Ethereal Doppleganger.

Wrath should be the quintessential BBEG. Im seeing big dark blackguard thing coming down and killing everything. Anything that doesnt go as planned, is obliterated. My Opinion? Evil.

Lust, was, and always will be, portrayed as female. However, we should know that it is lusts goal and duty to drive mortals to ever hightening goals of excess and sexual activity. In essence, it should be a shape-changer. My Opinion? Either go with the Assassin Nymph and give it the ability to Polymorph at will (through a Necklace or Ring), or make it a Jani.

Greed should want everything. Similar to Envy, but more of a "Gimme!" Than a "I want to be beter than you!" My opinion? A Feindish Red Dragon, with 2 levels in spell theif.