New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default ...We are many [Template]

Legion Template

A Legion human driven to madness and evil by the many wicked fiends within him.

Legions are humanoids who have been unwittingly possessed by so many fiends they become a whole new creature. The minds and souls of countless wicked outsiders within the body of one, they are Legion, they are many.

The fiends possessing a single creature tend to be of the same kind, demons, devils or yugoloths will barely ever mix with fiends of differing alignments in this case, but cases of which are not entirely unknown. In situations like that, alignment should be considered on a round-to-round basis depending on which fiend is active.

Any one fiend possessing a Legion creature cannot have more Hit Dice than double that of the possessed victem. For example, Lorik the rogue has 7 levels in rogue, any fiend possessing him cannot have more than 14 HD of their own, and only 10 fiends may possess him at once.

Creating a Legion creature

"Legion" is an aquired template that can be added to any corporeal humanoid refered to hereafter as the base creature. The base creature must also be possessed by at least 3 outsiders with the evil subtype at once, the limit of fiends possessing a single creature is 3+the base creature's Hit Dice or class levels.

Size and Type
    The creature's type changes to outsider and gains the augmented, evil and native subtypes. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves or skill points.

Speed
    As base creature.

Armor Class
    Legions are always surrounded by an invisible corona of unholy energy, this allows the Legion creature to add the highest Charisma modifier of all the fiends currently possessing the base creature as a deflection modifier to Armor Class.

Special Attacks
    A Legion creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following special attacks.

Fear Aura (Su): Legion creatures project an aura of dread and pure evil. Creatures with Hit Dice equal to or less than the Legion creature and within 60 feet of them must make a Will save (DC 10+base creature HD+highest fiend's Cha modifier)or become panicked until they leave the area. Creatures who save against the aura of fear become immune to it's effects for 24 hours.

Force of many (Su):
    A Legion creature may project the unholy force of the fiends within them into a substantial creature. A legion creature may summon 1 fiendish shadow for every fiend that currently possesses them. These shadows possess the same alignment and mental ability scores as the fiend they represent and are capable of using greater invisibility at will as a spell-like ability, though it loses it's create spawn ability. The shadows serve indeffinetly and can be dismissed as a standard action. If destroyed, the shadow can only be summoned again after one year and one day.

Special Qualities
    A Legion creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains the fallowing special qualities.

Mind of the Many (Su): A legion creature possesses the skills and knowledge of all the fiends that currently possess them. A Legion creature can use the skill modifier of a fiend that possesses them (using the highest modifier available)that uses the ability modifier of a mental skill. This only functions for a single fiend's mental-stat-based skills if a single one has taken dominion(see below).

Dominion (Su): Sometimes the fiends within the body are ambitious and seek to take control of the body for themself. If unopposed he takes full control of the host creature and the minds of all other fiends and the humanoid are repressed, though if opposed the dominating fiend must make one will save opposed by the will saves of the rest. If his save is higher than the rest he takes dominion, but if he fails he may try again in 24 hours.

Possession (Su): The creature is considered to be possessed by fiends, thses possessed fiends follow all the rules given for possession in the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss. Each possessing fiend must do everything on their own, such as the initial possession of the victem, or the mental Hide check and so on. If every fiend is exorsized from the victem they lose this template.

Spells
    A Legion creature can cast any spells they could in life, though the fiends within them force them to refrain from casting any good-aligned spells.

Abilities
    The base creature permenantly loses 4 points of Wisdom from the utter madness that swells within their now broken mind. Even if the fiends leave the body these points of Wisdom cannot be restored by anything short of a Wish or Miracle spell. This often does not detract the fiends, as they may take control of the body and use their own Wisdom score.

Organization
    Usually solitary, though they are Legion, they are many.

Challenge Rating
    As base creature +3.

Treasure
    As base creature

Alignment
    Always evil.

Advancement
    By character class.

Level Adjustment
    Same as base creature +5

--

Sample Legion creature

This sample Legion creature is a human rogue possessed by two Babau's, three Quasits, a Hezrou, and a Vrock. Through possession, this human's Dex score has been increased by 4 and is figured into the statistics below.

Legion Human Rogue 5
    Medium Outsider (Augmented humanoid, evil, native)
    HD: 5d6+5 (26 hp)
    Initiative: +9
    Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 24 (+5 Dex, +3 +1 studded leather, +2 +1 buckler, +4 Deflection)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
    Attack: +1 shortsword +10 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or masterwork light crossbow +9 (1d8/19-20)
    Full Attack: +1 shortsword +10 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or masterwork light crossbow +9 (1d8/19-20)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Fear aura, force of many, sneak attack +3d6
    Special Qualities: Dominion, evasion, mind of many, possession, trapfinding, trap sense +1
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 20, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 7, Cha 8
    Skills: Appraise +10, Balance +8, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +5, Disable Device +10, Disguise +13, Hide +18, Intimidate +17, Jump +2, Listen +24, Move Silently +14, Open Lock +12, Knowledge (local) +6, Knowledge (any one) +15, Knowledge (any other one) +6, Search +20, Sense Motive +16, Spellcraft +15, Spot +24, Survival +3(+5 following tracks), Tumble +14, Use Magic Device +6
    Feats: Improved initiative, Weapon finesse, Weapon focus (shortsword)
    Environtment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Chaotic evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +5

Standing here appears to be a raving mad human. His hair is grey and unkempt, his skin is pale, filthy and apparely scarred and his eyes are sinister and red like what lies beyond them isn't human at all.

COMBAT

Fear Aura (Su): Affects creatures of 5 HD or less. DC 19 negates.

Force of Many (Su): This Legion human rogue can summon 7 fiendish shadows. Each one shares the mental stats of one of the indevidual demons that possess him. They serve indeffinetly and if killed can return in one year and one day.

Sneak Attack (Ex): As the rogue class feature, dealing an additional 3d6 points of damage against flat-footed or flanked opponants.

Dominion (Su): See above, in the Template entry.

Evasion (Ex): The Legion human can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Legion human does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Mind of Many (Su): A legion human possesses the skills and knowledge of all the fiends that currently possess him. A Legion human can use the skill modifier of a fiend that possesses them that uses the ability modifier of a mental skill. This only functions for a single fiend if a single one has taken dominion(see above). This is figured into his statistic above. If the fiends stops possessing the Legion human his skills are as follows:

Skills: Appraise +10, Balance +8, Disable Device +10, Hide +18, Jump +2, Listen +6, Move Silently +14, Open Lock +12, Knowledge (local) +6, Search +10, Spot +6, Tumble +14, Use Magic Device +6

Possessed (Su): The Legion human is possessed by 7 demons. See above.

Trapfinding: As the rogue class feature.

Trap Sense:
    As the rogue class feature. +1 bonus.

Possessions: +1 studded leather armor, +1 buckler, +1 shortsword, masterwork light crossbow
    (15 bolts), 440 gp.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-08-03 at 05:56 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: ...We are many [Template]

No hive mind?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    No hive mind?
    I don't really see how that might fit in. The creatures within the same body are still seperate entities entirely.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

True, true.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I think they should be vulnerable to damage from curtains and dogs, and gain an Internet Hate Machine ability.

But seriously, neat template. I'm interested in seeing the sample creature; I'll hold off until you get that up.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I added the sample creature. It's a little complex and thus confusing... at least it was for me to make. Make your judgements, ladies and gentlemen.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, I think you may need to break it down by which skills are availible when which fiend is in command in the stat block for individual creatures.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you may need to break it down by which skills are availible when which fiend is in command in the stat block for individual creatures.
    It says in the entry that they use they skill modifier of all the fiends within them. That implied(though I should make it clearer) that they use the best modifier of all the skills that fiend has access too(if said skill is Int, Wis or Cha based). If a fiend has taken Dominion, that dominant fiend only uses their own skill ranks and the skills based on Str, Dex or Con of the host.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I must have misunderstood. I thought that one HAD to be in dominion before it could use its ranks. I understand now.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2007-08-01 at 05:58 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Neat. I like this a lot. Force of Many strikes me as potentially overpowered, but I am not familiar with Fiendish Shadows (I don't have access to the 3e Fiendish Codex), so it probably isn't. Not much more to say than that, really.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-03 at 01:02 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Neat. I like this a lot. Force of Many strikes me as potentially overpowered, but I am not familiar with Fiendish Shadows (I don't have access to the 3e Fiendish Codex), so it probably isn't. Not much more to say than that, really.
    Fiendish shadows aren't in any books but the Monster Manual. They're just shadows with the fiendish template.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ah right! Well, that is a little worrying, then, since, if i understand this correctly, a Fiendish Shadow's CR is 5 to begin with [3 (Shadow) + 2 (Fiendish)]. The CR of a Commoner 1 with this Template is only 3 or so, but he would have access to four CR 5 Fiendish Shadows. That strikes me as a bit odd.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-03 at 03:25 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Not that I'm complaining, I like the idea behind the fiendish shadows, but isn't the fiendish template specifically limited to living corporeal creatures? By definition the shadow is incorporeal undead. Just a little nitpick.

Also, can these shadows create spawn or are they more akin to the ones summoned by shadowdancer class ability?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    Not that I'm complaining, I like the idea behind the fiendish shadows, but isn't the fiendish template specifically limited to living corporeal creatures? By definition the shadow is incorporeal undead. Just a little nitpick.

Also, can these shadows create spawn or are they more akin to the ones summoned by shadowdancer class ability?
    I'd considered the fiendish template part, but it was decided upon long ago and integrated into almost every gaming group touching the core one to which I belong that it's stupid to not have fiendish undead creatures. I mean c'mon...it works so well.

But the create spawn is something I had not considered... I'm going to make them incapable of creating spawn. That'd be just a little much, y'know?

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    I'd considered the fiendish template part, but it was decided upon long ago and integrated into almost every gaming group touching the core one to which I belong that it's stupid to not have fiendish undead creatures. I mean c'mon...it works so well.
    The complaint is not that you can't have fiendish undead, but you can't have incorporeal fiendish undead. Hold on, I'll check...

Yep, according to the Monster Manual you can't have a fiendish incorporeal creature...but this class could simply exist as an exception.

Apart from that confusion I like it. I watch quite a lot of Abridged anime and on more than one occasion I have head something along the lines of someone being possessed and saying "We are 4Kids and we are many. Now we fight on". Heheheh.

Edit: What no Demodands?
    Last edited by KazilDarkeye; 2007-08-03 at 07:38 AM.
    Icy Fan of Gelugons and proud member of Baatezu Lovers Club

Thanks to Bradakhan for the custom avatar.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    You seem to like summoning monsters and watching them beat the everloving crap out of one another.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KazilDarkeye View Post
    What no Demodands?
    You can have whatever evil beast you want in whoever you wants head, so long as they're humanoid. Even then, it isn't strict.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Off-topic Question...but have you seen the movie Ghost Rider?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olelia View Post
    Pr the exorsisem of Emily Rose?

Also how about the other alighnments, I can imagine in a evil controlled and hard to get into world that a champion of good may allow the heavenly host to flood into him so they could fight undetected by the arcfeind overloard.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olelia View Post
    Yes, I thought about that when I was making this. Though it was kind of the opposite of this... A demon filled with human souls.

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    Pr the exorsisem of Emily Rose?

Also how about the other alighnments, I can imagine in a evil controlled and hard to get into world that a champion of good may allow the heavenly host to flood into him so they could fight undetected by the arcfeind overloard.
    Easily adaptable, maybe I'll make one as soon as I get time.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: ...We are many [Template]

Is this based on the Zars from the wind singer? They are legion, they are all.
    Nice template, though. It would be nice to have a friend of the PCs be one of these...
    "Post, Post, Post, More Comments!"
    High priest of the Belkar/Banzhulu church
    Proud member of team evil.
    Kudos to Simius For the awesome avatar.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelkarIsAGod View Post
    Is this based on the Zars from the wind singer? They are legion, they are all.
    It's based on the biblical demon, Legion. A massive legion of demons possessing a single body. And thanks for liking it.

EDIT: And just because I owe it to my /b/todd friend I have to also mentioned the original idea to even look at Legion was inspired by Anonymous.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-08-03 at 09:38 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, I think I will reiterate and say I don't think the Level Adjustment is sufficient.